ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 14th, 2021, 05:16 AM   #1
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2007 CBR 125R (sold)

Looking at buying 2017 Ninja 300 ABS

I presently have a 2010 Ninja 250R which I like. I'm looking at buying a 2014 300 ABS. I'm looking for comments from people that have them or have had them before I commit to buying it.

From the bike description, it has 48,000 km (about 30,000 miles) which seems like quite bit. It has a Yoshi slip on exhaust, tail tidy, after marker clutch/brake levers and a lowering kit. The owner did not install the lowering kit so he has no details on it.

The owner tells me the fairings are original, as best he can tell, and they have no cracks, or signs that the bike was ever laid down. I find that hard to believe given that this is beginner bike and it has had multiple owners.

Maintenance-wise, the owner said he just replaced the fork seals, steering bearings, rear sprocket and chain (front sprocket was fine), and front tire. Back tire has about 3000 miles on it. Battery was recently replaced as well. Owner did not know anything about the valve clearance check/adjustment so I assume it has not been done during the time he owned it (he only owned it for one year). At 30,000 miles, it would be due to be done now.

Are there any inherent issues/problems with these Ninja 300's that I should be aware of, or look out for?

Other than the recent maintenance history mentioned above, I don't know about how the bike was maintained from previous owners. Given the high mileage, is this engine and bike generally reliable ?

Anything else I should be aware of before buying the bike ?
Gearbox Paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 14th, 2021, 09:34 PM   #2
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
The engine should be fine, but I wouldn't feel comfortable getting a bike with that many miles that doesn't have a solid maintenance history. If it were a 1 or 2 owner bike with all maintenance records and most everything been done, sure. I feel like the biggest things I ever look for on any of the small Ninjas is just crash damage and if they've done a valve adjustment ever (along with other basic maintenance).

I haven't had any issues with my Ninja 300 other than the self-inflicted kind lol. 60k miles for me now. I've had the pregen and new gen 250 as well and I like the 300 best.

Old June 15th, 2021, 05:25 AM   #3
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
The engine should be fine, but I wouldn't feel comfortable getting a bike with that many miles that doesn't have a solid maintenance history. If it were a 1 or 2 owner bike with all maintenance records and most everything been done, sure. I feel like the biggest things I ever look for on any of the small Ninjas is just crash damage and if they've done a valve adjustment ever (along with other basic maintenance).

I haven't had any issues with my Ninja 300 other than the self-inflicted kind lol. 60k miles for me now. I've had the pregen and new gen 250 as well and I like the 300 best.
Thanks for your comments, that helps. Unfortunately, the only maintenance history available for this bike is for the time the present owner owned the bike. And that's only one year or so. No history available prior to that. The owner did confirm that the valves were not checked in the past year, so they will have to be done. He is adjusting the price downwards to account for this expensive procedure (if I buy the bike, I'll check/adjust the valve clearances myself...).

I shop around for used Ninjettes all the time. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I've never found a used bike where someone had all of the maintenance records. Maybe because Ninjettes are beginner bikes, but I find that most if not all of the owners I've talked to who are selling these bikes haven't the slightest clue about how the bike works, maintenance, etc. They just ride, and...and crash/drop the bike!

Anyhow, it's reassuring that you have a high mileage Ninja 300 and it is still running fine. I'm not hearing that there are specific inherent issues/problems these Ninja 300's.

Old July 2nd, 2021, 02:10 PM   #4
jjmaine
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250, '16 Ninja 300

I recently picked up a '16 Ninja 300 and I looked high and low like you for any inherent issues with the Ninja 300's. From all my reading it looks like the 2013 models had a couple recalls but from '14 onward I could not find anything.
I would say if the price is right and the bike runs perfectly without any strange noises then go for it. I would just do all the maintenance bits as soon as you get it (a good idea anytime you buy a used bike imo) which it sounds like you already plan to. Good luck sir!
jjmaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2021, 04:37 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox Paul View Post
I shop around for used Ninjettes all the time. Maybe I've just been unlucky, but I've never found a used bike where someone had all of the maintenance records.
I do all my own maintenance, but the only time I've kept a real maintenance record of it was when I bought a new Yamaha MT-07 and wanted the record for warranty purposes. When I sell a used motorcycle I tell the prospective buyer that I did all the maintenance at the proper intervals, and a quick look around the bike should back me up pretty well. A well lubed chain, decent tires, fresh looking oil, properly adjusted controls, properly adjusted steering bearings (etc) all help to confirm that I didn't neglect it.

Since records are easy to fake, when I buy a motorcycle I'm more interested in these telltale items than a formal record.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2021, 09:08 AM   #6
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

In the end I bought a Yamaha R3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearbox Paul View Post
I presently have a 2010 Ninja 250R which I like. I'm looking at buying a 2014 300 ABS. I'm looking for comments from people that have them or have had them before I commit to buying it.

From the bike description, it has 48,000 km (about 30,000 miles) which seems like quite bit. It has a Yoshi slip on exhaust, tail tidy, after marker clutch/brake levers and a lowering kit. The owner did not install the lowering kit so he has no details on it.

The owner tells me the fairings are original, as best he can tell, and they have no cracks, or signs that the bike was ever laid down. I find that hard to believe given that this is beginner bike and it has had multiple owners.

Maintenance-wise, the owner said he just replaced the fork seals, steering bearings, rear sprocket and chain (front sprocket was fine), and front tire. Back tire has about 3000 miles on it. Battery was recently replaced as well. Owner did not know anything about the valve clearance check/adjustment so I assume it has not been done during the time he owned it (he only owned it for one year). At 30,000 miles, it would be due to be done now.

Are there any inherent issues/problems with these Ninja 300's that I should be aware of, or look out for?

Other than the recent maintenance history mentioned above, I don't know about how the bike was maintained from previous owners. Given the high mileage, is this engine and bike generally reliable ?

Anything else I should be aware of before buying the bike ?
As it turned out, I did not buy this high mileage Ninja 300. I found a good deal on 2018 R3 and bought it. I'm really pleased with the R3 so far.

Old July 3rd, 2021, 09:31 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
That's a really nice motorcycle, Paul. Enjoy it!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2021, 08:23 AM   #8
Gearbox Paul
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
That's a really nice motorcycle, Paul. Enjoy it!
Here are some pics of my R3.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0779.jpg (166.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0780.jpg (156.8 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0781.jpg (198.2 KB, 2 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.