ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old August 20th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #1
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

need help from other parents

Ok so my 4 year old started preschool this year at the local elementary school that I went to as a kid. Before I had kids I always told myself and my wife that I didn't want them doing catalog fund raisers because it teaches them bad habits. I also said that when the school or team they where in did these fund raisers I would get them a toy or something they wanted as the fund raiser ended. Ok so here is the dilemma, my wife has a spending problem, a bad one. She also owes every direct sales company out there. She is wanting my oldest to do this fund raiser so she doesn't feel left out. What do yall think???

And to touch on the bad habits thing I'm talking about looking for handouts, scamming ppl with pitty/guilt and I also feel that it teaches people at young ages to be very materialistic.
Posted via Mobile Device
7oxSin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2012, 08:15 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I don't have a problem with it if the kid is truly doing it on their own, and working at it for a good cause or something that benefits them (rather than the parents). But having 4-yr olds involved seems a little early.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #3
mariorivera830
MoVal's only ninjette :(

Name: Mario

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r SE Black with a dash of yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7oxSin View Post
Ok so my 4 year old started preschool this year at the local elementary school that I went to as a kid. Before I had kids I always told myself and my wife that I didn't want them doing catalog fund raisers because it teaches them bad habits. I also said that when the school or team they where in did these fund raisers I would get them a toy or something they wanted as the fund raiser ended. Ok so here is the dilemma, my wife has a spending problem, a bad one. She also owes every direct sales company out there. She is wanting my oldest to do this fund raiser so she doesn't feel left out. What do yall think???

And to touch on the bad habits thing I'm talking about looking for handouts, scamming ppl with pitty/guilt and I also feel that it teaches people at young ages to be very materialistic.
Posted via Mobile Device
I would be wary that a preschool is making its students do fundraisers, regardless of the age. I don't know that the fundraising itself would be the worst thing for a kid. It does set the foundation for good work ethics. It does however put the wheels in motion for competition. When my oldest did his first fundraiser, it was for pop warner football. The coaches were adamant about everyone selling everything or else.... When we got in the car, I told my son that whatever he does sell is good enough. But that he did have to put an effort into it and I won't be doing it by myself. I will help but not do it completely.

But back to the fundraising, if you do it together (instead of for your kids), you can make sure that only the positive aspects of sales and work can be taken in and the whole experience can be another bonding experience for you and your kids.

Old September 6th, 2012, 01:09 PM   #4
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

I ended up letting her do it, the deadline to turn in the candy was today. She sold 2 boxes of 50 chocolate bars so she is getting a pizza party and a ice cream party. She seemed to like it, the wife got a lil bloodthirsty but that is to be expected
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
What is wrong with fundraising?
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #6
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Nothing wrong with fundraising, just something wrong with how bloodthirsty some schools make their students with all the prizes and brain washing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:29 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I remember all the cool prizes, I got to go in that money machine thingy in middle school.
AFM #676

Old September 6th, 2012, 02:31 PM   #8
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

But do you remember all the crap ur parents had to shovel out and scam their coworkers ect into buying? Yrs I would love 19$ wraping paper -_-
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 6th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #9
xSean13
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Nobody is forcing them to buy it; those who do buy understand it's a fundraiser and therefore are willing to shell out the money on a more expensive item to help a school out.

It's not like fundraisers are a new concept that people in the workplace haven't seen before and are getting screwed over from it.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 6th, 2012, 05:01 PM   #10
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
What do yall think???
I think that it would have been unfair of you to deprive your kid of something we all got to experience in school - guided by your misplaced aggression towards direct sales fundraisers because of your wife's child-like lack of impulse control. You two should probably see a therapist about that. It sounds to me like you're only enabling her.

Old September 6th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #11
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
But do you remember all the crap ur parents had to shovel out and scam their coworkers ect into buying? Yrs I would love 19$ wraping paper -_-
Posted via Mobile Device
Pff that sucks, I had $20 coupon books yo, YOU COULD SAVE LIKE $1000 WITH THE COUPONS
AFM #676

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:32 AM   #12
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

It's a giant scam. My brother just brought a catalog home and my parents had the same talk with him as they did with me where they explained that the company took the majority of the money and then threw the school some pocket change.

Best thing you can do is just buy things for the teacher when they ask for it, not like the school/ government is doing it.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 7th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #13
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
i have no clue what your parents must've done haha. but, my dad would just leave the catalog in the lunchroom at his offices for a week and pick it up at the end and it would be full of people buying stuff...