ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:09 AM   #1
Ria44
is just ok

Name: Maria

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Question When did you start riding with a passenger?

When did you start riding with a passenger?
This is my second season, and I may be confident now, and maybe slightly cocky. I always said i'd never ride with a passenger, but i've had a few friends ask about it. When did you 1st feel comfortable enough to take that responsibility?
Ria44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #2
ryanG19
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r Candy Apple Lime

If you have to ask, then you aren't ready. Some could have taken a week and others have years of riding but still refuse to ride two up. Only you will know when you are ready for it.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but it shouldn't matter when other people chose to.

Also, there are like 20 threads on this, so use the search function.

/end thread
ryanG19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 07:29 AM   #3
ryanG19
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r Candy Apple Lime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ria44 View Post
if you have to say not trying to be a dick, you probably are.
Some people tend to take things completely wrong when you offer the right advice but it doesn't answer their question. Only you will know when you feel ready to ride two up.
ryanG19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:21 AM   #4
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

i took my first passenger in my second season. mind you, i put 12000km on in the first season, so i had a good number of km under my belt. I think it helped too that I took someone that was already a passenger on someone else's bike too, since I didn't need to worry about them, and could just concentrate on riding.
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:25 AM   #5
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
For me it was my second season.

You should feel confident in your ability to handle the bike before you even think about taking someone else's life into your hands. Everything that is unstable about a motorcycle is amplified by carrying a passenger. They're wobbly whenever the passenger moves around, and low speed maneuvers are even more nerve-wracking. Not to mention, the extra weight is very obvious in your braking ability and your handling.

Start small. Take a passenger for a little trip around the neighborhood. Practice starts and stops, and make a point to be smooth and careful. The bike will feel completely new with a passenger on back. Make sure both you and your passenger are comfortable before you make it out of the neighborhood and onto faster roads.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:35 AM   #6
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

I worked my way up in terms of extra weight, so I could get use to how the bike would be with more than just myself on board. Started out with a backpack, then a cargo net with light to heavy objects, and eventually I took my little sister for a ride. I did try to take my 230 pound friend for a short ride just for the hell of it... but my bike didn't like that, so I promptly told him to hop off.
hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #7
kamikaze
ex-ninjette.org guru :o

Name: Trevor

Motorcycle(s): 2003 SV1000 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodadooda View Post
I worked my way up in terms of extra weight, so I could get use to how the bike would be with more than just myself on board. Started out with a backpack, then a cargo net with light to heavy objects, and eventually I took my little sister for a ride. I did try to take my 230 pound friend for a short ride just for the hell of it... but my bike didn't like that, so I promptly told him to hop off.
that had nothing to do with his weight. there's a strict 2 ball/bike rule, bikes don't like it very much when this limit is exceeded, regardless of the weight of the passenger. so unless you're female, that's what was wrong
kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #8
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

I took passengers around the neighborhood in probably the first couple weeks of owning the bike. With the 250 though, it's not so much about confidence in your abilities, but the fact that the bike handles like crap with a passenger. Adding even a 100-lb passenger to the little Ninja will bring you close to (or above depending on your weight) the weight limit of the bike. Acceleration and braking suffers tremendously from this.

Old April 17th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #9
ninja_sleeper
ninjette.org guru

Name: Carrie

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Buy a cowl cover and then don't worry about it.

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:03 PM   #10
Kevin2109
KThanksBye

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 zx636r

Stop starting new threads on this!!! WTF

Old April 17th, 2012, 01:21 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Far as I can tell this is her first post on this? But yes - there is already some good info on the site for 2-up riding that might also be relevant.

Here's a recent one that had some good content, I think:

Nervous about riding 2 up.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:01 PM   #12
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamikaze View Post
that had nothing to do with his weight. there's a strict 2 ball/bike rule, bikes don't like it very much when this limit is exceeded, regardless of the weight of the passenger. so unless you're female, that's what was wrong
How was I suppose to know he had balls??? He does nails for a living! Good to know though, I'll never let another male passenger on my bike again. Ever.
hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #13
cuz
cuz

Name: Israel

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_sleeper View Post
Buy a cowl cover and then don't worry about it.
lol trust me some times it doesn't work.

had two close calls of braking it people just don't what a seat cowl is

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:11 PM   #14
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

I'll probably get flamed on but at about 2.5 months is when I had my first passenger. And yeah, she is my girlfriend. No, she hadn't ridden before. But I could barely tell she was back there then and now 5 months later we're as smooth as glass. Started off in her neighborhood, started riding around to give her the feel, then did some small acceleration and emergency braking, instructed her on just about everything except that her boot will melt if it touches the exhaust pipe.. oops. Riding two up is awesome. Slower and heavier than solo, but its a great experience to share, especially with someone you're close to. Oh and you definitely have to be careful with everything, its easy to scrape your pegs around corners on accident (not that I take corners that leaned over lol, 90% of the time) since the bike is lower, and shifting takes a ton of precision, slow down quicker and expect pain in the worst parts on heavy braking if your passenger doesn't brace themselves well (luckily mine does :P) except you're a lady so nevermind that last part but still lol. And if its not a 250, be careful on heavy throttle, my 500 will lift up the front with a passenger, even a tiny 90lb one lol.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #15
MarcoPolo
ninjette.org member

Name: Marco

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

Ive been riding for 4 weeksish and I've done it twice with a very light girl. I was scared at first, but honestly it was a LOT easier than I thought. While driving it feels pretty much the same, I'm not taking corners super fast or anything just 35-50 mph city driving. The biggest difference is coming to a stop and taking off. I keep both feet down at lights and give more gas when taking off. Also I try to shift smoother cus she doesn't expect the jolts like I do lol.

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:06 PM   #16
RaZeDaHeLL
The Black Widow

Name: Eva

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I have no rear seat!

I've been riding for a year and still have never had a passenger. My female friends are too scared to get on and my male friends are too big.

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:10 PM   #17
RaZeDaHeLL
The Black Widow

Name: Eva

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

I know I can handle carrying a girl my size but I'm not comfortable with a 230lb man on the back of my 250. LOL

Old April 18th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #18
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post

Here's a recent one that had some good content, I think:

Nervous about riding 2 up.
I agree! I finally decided after posting that thread and reading every post carefully that I felt confident enough to do so.

After doing so I really learned one thing: Everyone is ready at different times. A lot of people are saying season two, after 12k miles, after xxxx miles. If we're going by miles, I took my first at a little over 3k. I think... Last I checked my bike was nearing 3k miles. :-)

But, I felt confident in my skills, and riding ability, and judgment to finally take a passenger. It's not as hard once you get going really. But if you really doubt yourself, take some more time to decide on it or not. I too started saying I'll never take a passenger. But now I won't mind when someone wants to be a passenger.

When you decide though, read the post from that threat. Then do a search on riding two up. There's about a 4 page thread somewhere on the forums as well, I read that too. It really does help.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #19
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I went two-up in a couple of weeks with my girlfriend. However, the first time I went down was two-up going too fast on a bumpy road. I feel much more comfortable going two up, but mostly it's to school where none of the speed limits exceed 30.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2012, 06:05 AM   #20
bud_44
ninjette.org member

Name: bud

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Clastic and 2003 Kawasaki Concours

I was 16 when I got my 650 Triumph.

Two or three weeks after I got it I was taking my girlfriend everywhere with me. I always took it easy with her on the bike though. Never got on it or raced anyone. She loved riding with me. So much fun. Lucky for me my second wife loves riding with me to.
bud_44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:22 PM   #21
thomason2wheels
ninjette.org member

Name: tom

Motorcycle(s): dl650

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud_44 View Post
Two or three weeks after I got it I was taking my girlfriend everywhere with me. I always took it easy with her on the bike though. Never got on it or raced anyone. She loved riding with me. So much fun. Lucky for me my second wife loves riding with me to.
That should have been one of non negotiables in your choice of 2nd wife

Old September 24th, 2012, 01:07 PM   #22
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

I think it was about 2 months after I started riding that I rode my wife on the back. I like the answer that if you have to ask, you probably aren't ready. It was really an impromptu situation for me but I was already pretty comfortable with myself on the bike and trusted that I could control it even with the additional weight and minor movements passengers do that can upset the bike. I personally loved the feeling but coincidentally this was the day my shifter started acting up. That coupled with her saying she didn't have much room to sit on the back of the 250 is why we've only ridden together once.

Old September 24th, 2012, 01:19 PM   #23
dirty nasty
ninjette.org sage

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Kwak Ninja 250 and 1998 Yamaha YZ400F

Fairly shortly. Like a month after I got my bike on the road, not even a month I think. Then again I've been carting chicks around on my dirt bikes since I was in junior high. I've never had an issue or bad moment doing so. Just use your head.

Love havin' me a babe on the back of my bike as much as I don't, sometimes you just gotta haul ass. Kinda hard to do the really psycho **** with a girl on the back if you have a bike that has an engine. On the 250 it's just plain slow, so no ass haulin' happens on the 250 when I'm going 2up haha. The trick is to scare them just enough with some acceleration. Instant panty dropper.
dirty nasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #24
Lakeshow
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeffrey

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ZX6R

My gf wants to ride on the back when i get my bike, but thats a no go for sure haha. I probably wont feel comfortable until the coming summer and even then itll only be around the neighborhood and maybe to the grocery store.
Lakeshow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:04 PM   #25
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

I actually did the other day. Ladyfriend of mine lives in a small town just north of me (was also the first time i went on the freeway) was to get to her place. The ride over there was crazy, scary and fun as hell..was easily hitting 85-90 for the first time..fastest ive ever gone on my bike. Was originally going over there for her to ride it herself as she wants a 250 and she has not been on a bike since her MSF class..well after an hour she wanted me to take her somewhere, was extremely unsure about it as i was not expecting that and i did not inflate my tires properly to go 2up..i told her i didnt and what might/could happen..she wanted me to anyway, so i gave her my jacket (she had same gear as me + my jacket ) and i just had my boots/gloves/helm/chest/back protector..Obviously i took it easy, but wasnt goin too slow..pretty much went around the entire town, chilled at the park and went home to eat with her family. hit the 900mile mark with her on it.

Wasnt bad at all. Obviously like a little more power for 2up but the 2fiddy did its job =)
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 11:16 PM   #26
Bassman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 1986 Goldwing, 1996 CR500, 2011 Ninja 250, 2009 Harley Heritage Softail, 1941 Suzuki Gerbil 250

Took my wife out on the Goldwing when I first bought it in '89. Never again <gag>. I've had my kids out many times for various poker runs. Train 'em early.