ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 19th, 2009, 08:53 PM   #1
kkim

2009 Ninja 250R owners... hows your tires?

I know the 09 bikes come with IRC tires. How do you like them in the twisties? Are they good or bad?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 19th, 2009, 09:25 PM   #2
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): Bunch of em

I was at Willow Springs last weekend doing burnouts with my new 09 with IRCs and a guy came up and said I should stop wasting those tires. He said they were MUCH better than the 090s. All I know is that they smoke real good

Old February 19th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #3
kkim

did you get to try them out on the track?

Old February 19th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #4
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

Naw, just the pits. I'd be skeered to try them on the track.

Old February 19th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #5
kkim

I'm trying to find out how they compare to the stock Bridgestone or Dunlop tires that came on the 08s.

You're a big help... squid.

Old February 19th, 2009, 09:35 PM   #6
RaceBikeRentals
Pimpin

You wanna buy them?

Old February 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #7
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

After the burn out?

Old February 19th, 2009, 09:38 PM   #8
kkim

what, your now "racing slicks" IRCs???

Old February 19th, 2009, 09:56 PM   #9
kkim

So, OG... how are those tires?

Old February 19th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #10
OldGuy
Live Life

There still on the bike. Weather has been too crappy to get out since the day I got it and it's hard to tell sitting in the garage going vroom vroom (the neighbors are starting to talk, guess I should close the door).

Weather man is talking about rideable weather Sunday and forward sooooo

Old February 20th, 2009, 02:41 AM   #11
00v_Lucky
ninjette.org sage

Name: Howard

Motorcycle(s): '09 Candy Thunder Blue Ninja 250R

my local dealership says that the '08s actually got the better deal with the dunlops (and that I lucked out not getting those IRCs) plus, they do not look as sporty. they do look softer tho. anything could feel softer than these dunlops =/
00v_Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 02:12 PM   #12
VeX
That's me!

Name: TJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r (Tis blue), 2008 CBR600RR

So I figured my tires would be coming in today and would call around to see mounting/balancing prices. I was going to buy the rim protectors, tire spoons and weight tool, the "stuf", but then thought, "Well that's going to quickly add up to a good $50-$60, I'll just pay to have them done this time.".

I'm used to car tires/wheels where they charge like $15 or so a wheel to change tires. I literally said, "I have the wheels off and already possess the tires. I just need them swapped and balanced"... Simple yes?

I called 5 places and the prices ranged from $25/wheel to $35/wheel. What the deuce? For something that'll take less than 5 minutes it could cost me damn near the cost of one of the tires to do! I haven't been to any type of shops since I've lived in San Diego because I AM a mechanic, and know how shops super-inflate prices around here, but damn
VeX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 02:17 PM   #13
kkim

lol... now you see why I roll my own?

the prices in shops here are even higher than what you've quoted.... plus you're never sure how much they're going to band up your rim in the process. Did your pricing include balancing, too?

Old February 20th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #14
VeX
That's me!

The last shop I contacted was the best. THEY quoted me at $51 and change for everything (including tax) so I liked them. For shits and giggles I called two of the dealers around here and one guy said, "It's uhhh $30 a wheel plus uhhh tire disposal fee". Which in my mind inflates to around $40 a wheel with all that bullshit. It sounds funny, but when the person on the phone sounds like a teen-aged kid who is only there to make a 'paycheck' that's an immediate disqualification for ANY business to me

The last shop was a dedicated motorcycle shop and the guy literally asked me if they were tubed tires or not (a HANDY thing to know IMO for price figuring) and since he did the TOTAL price with tax and everything I'm going to drop the money this time and with him for being so courteous (Even if his prices were a couple bucks more which they weren't).

Old February 20th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #15
kkim

$50 for changing and balancing 2 tires is a deal. You'ld spend more on aspirin for your aching back if you did them yourself.

Old February 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM   #16
Sailariel
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Kelly, Now that Kawa has changed to IRC, do you think that the Dunlop 501`s will be available at a reasonable price in the catalog stores? Now they are only available at Kawa dealers at an inflated price.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #17
kkim

Alex, I have no idea what Dunlop will do, but if you are looking for the 501s in our size, check out Richard's thread. He has some for sale... maybe he'll have a ninjette discount, if you ask nice enough.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13607

Old February 21st, 2009, 07:03 PM   #18
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

Im on my second 09 now and im not impressed. they seem to get very upset in the corners. havent had a chance to compare them to the BT's but come springtime there gonna be the first thing to get changed.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2009, 07:05 PM   #19
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire00 View Post
Im on my second 09 now and im not impressed. they seem to get very upset in the corners. havent had a chance to compare them to the BT's but come springtime there gonna be the first thing to get changed.
Sean - Would like to expand a "little" on how you are on your SECOND '09?

Old February 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM   #20
empire00
ninjette.org member

happened oct 16th 08 heres the story with pics

recycled from an old post

Quote:
wreck happened about 6:15 pm last thursday on my way to see my lil sis play volleyball. i was about 1/4 mi from my house.
deer was over the top of a little rise in the road in about a 4' ditch it jumped out as i crested the hill. hit it in the shoulder at about 50.
bike flipped end over end at least once before doing a 180 and landing in the ditch. i got hit in the foot with the gas tank tearing a chunk
out of my steel toe shoes i was wearing. (luckly not my foot) i did a cartwheel or two before landing and sliding to a stop in the ditch 25'
or so farther down the road than the bike. put a pretty nice dent in my helmet and busted the visor and mounting brackets out of it.
my right glove is pretty rashed up from me trying to catch myself but it kept my hand from getting tore up. i had just got a new armored
jacket in the mail on wed. and that was my first time taking it out and all i can say is wow. it did its job well. i dont have a scratch on me
and barely even got bruised. the bike is pretty much totaled fairings destroyed, fork bent, swingarm bent, tank dented, handlebars and
controls are destroyed. its a 09 ninja ex250J brand new i bought it 7 days before the wreck. insurance has not decided on its fate but
im sure its totaled. oh well guess i will have a new one for spring.

Old February 21st, 2009, 07:16 PM   #21
empire00
ninjette.org member

I picked up my 09 Special edition at the begining of january.

Old February 21st, 2009, 07:34 PM   #22
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

welcome to the forum sean! hate to see that you're on your second bike, but glad to hear you were unharmed
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2009, 07:35 PM   #23
OldGuy
Live Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by empire00 View Post
I picked up my 09 Special edition at the begining of january.
Glad to hear you are OK, car vs. deer usually not so bad, man vs. deer most likely serious outcome.

Thanks for sharing.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:07 AM   #24
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I'm on my second '08 250R. Maybe we should start a new sub-forum.

Lots of deer around here. I try to avoid riding at night since there are no streetlights out this far, but I have to admit the 250R's high beam is pretty awesome and illuminates a lot more than you'd think. The headlights on my '08 Ninja are better than the ones on my '08 Altima Coupe.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2009, 11:11 AM   #25
kkim

TF- Put a set of HIDs in there and you'll be amazed at what you can see at night on a dark, unlit road.

Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:12 PM   #26
muffinman
ninjette.org guru

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), '05 ZX6R / 636

Hm.. yeah, I thought the general consensus was that the '09 IRC's were a cost-cutting measure and inferior to the '08 Dunlops?
muffinman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2009, 03:24 PM   #27
kkim

that was the general take on them based on some pretty bad reviews of tire on Euro bikes in 08, but I was asking about actual feedback from people who have these tires on their 09 bikes. are they good or bad?

Old February 23rd, 2009, 05:56 PM   #28
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I used to use IRC tires on my road bicycle that I'd get at Bike Nashbar. They were always known as a cheaper tire, but they were perfectly adequate. I would think they'd be fine for normal use, but I'd go with something better for the track for sure.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 06:45 PM   #29
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Found some customer reviews at bikebandit: http://www.bikebandit.com/product/3610

Actually seems like a decent tire. I still think the ninjas should've come with the dunlops or bridgestones, though, esp considering the 09s had a nice price hike...
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Vex - do you want to move this or copy this into one of the other tire threads? This one was mainly for Kkim to find out more about the IRC's coming stock on the 2009's.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #31
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Aite, well I can finally post up some initial impressions of the IRC Roadwinners on the 09. Mind you, the streets are cold and the tires are brand new (aka waxy) so I won't comment on the stickiness yet.

But like other people have commented on for this tire, it follows the grooves in the pavement. I rode into a small (cms small) crack in the road parallel with my direction and it threw my front end off like crazy - and I mean side to side. Never had problems like this with the dunlops on my 06. 10 minutes later I rode over a railroad track and it did the same thing. If I hadn't had both hands on the bars the wobble probably would've thrown me off. So I'm officially scared to ride on grooved/grated sections with these tires...

Old March 15th, 2009, 02:14 AM   #32
Lurkable
250Arrrgh!

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R, 2001 996

I just had my bike in the shop for 7500 mile service and her first rear tire replacement. I asked them to replace it but this time with the Bridgestone stock tire for the 08s. The guys there seemed to agree that it was the better tire over the IRC. Well I already notice a difference in turns...I think the IRC must have had a stiffer sidewall but I get a much smoother feeling from the Bridgestone in turns at both high and low speeds.
Lurkable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 02:24 AM   #33
VeX
That's me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
Aite, well I can finally post up some initial impressions of the IRC Roadwinners on the 09. Mind you, the streets are cold and the tires are brand new (aka waxy) so I won't comment on the stickiness yet.

But like other people have commented on for this tire, it follows the grooves in the pavement. I rode into a small (cms small) crack in the road parallel with my direction and it threw my front end off like crazy - and I mean side to side. Never had problems like this with the dunlops on my 06. 10 minutes later I rode over a railroad track and it did the same thing. If I hadn't had both hands on the bars the wobble probably would've thrown me off. So I'm officially scared to ride on grooved/grated sections with these tires...
Well I'll be! That's exactly what the Avons do! The more I've been riding on them I notice the instability problems on certain areas of the highway and such (like I never noticed before on the Dunlops) which is a definite correlation to the road. I think I'm just getting used to it now, but it's still frustrating as I never had that before. I hate to say it, but I can't wait till these tires wear out so I can switch either back to the Dunlops or to the Bridgestones

Old March 15th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #34
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

track day?
noche_caliente is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 15th, 2009, 03:31 PM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeX View Post
...so I can switch either back to the Dunlops or to the Bridgestones
... or the sport demons ...

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old March 15th, 2009, 10:58 PM   #36
VeX
That's me!

Tempting But at around $250 for the pair? Yikes I guess if you figure that'll last 6-9 months that is like only spending $8 extra a month heh heh heh (gotta be an optimist)

Old March 15th, 2009, 11:57 PM   #37
Alex
ninjette.org dude

$230 shipped to your door from this link...

Old March 16th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #38
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
$230 shipped to your door from this link...
I've heard that they're nice and sticky but they take a hit in wear. How many clicks are you guys getting out of them (nontrack)?

Old March 16th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #39
Alex
ninjette.org dude

I'm only on the first set of the sport demons on the 2nd gen ninjette. Changed out the stock tires at 4500 miles, and am now at 6400 miles. Rear looks to be about half done, front's probably not down quite that much. I'd expect 3500 - 4000 on the rear before they need to be replaced, and maybe the front could be kept til 6K, though I'll likely do them at the same time around 8500 miles on the odo.

This is pretty much the same wear I experienced with the sport demons on the 1st gen ninjette, 4K was a good estimate for the rear.

Old March 28th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #40
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Thumbs down

Alright, so I passed the 600km mark and I DO NOT RECOMMEND them!

First off, my fears were confirmed today. Rode over a grated bridge and it was the first time I truly thought I was going down. The front was irratic - up and down AND side to side - all while I was holding on. It was almost comparable to the carnival bulls that pitch and yaw to knock you off. So for this reason, and the previous experience I had with cracks/railroad tracks, I am warning people away from the IRCs.

The only redeeming factor is that grip-wise they're pretty decent. They do seem to lock up a lot more than the Dunlops on the pre-gens, but that may also be because I'm not used to the improved braking system on the new-gens. The only thing stopping me from tearing them off is because I'll be starting 3 years of student debt again soon - and Canada doesn't have many grated roads... but for anyone with an 09 - please BE CAREFUL!