Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 6th, 2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Kawasabi
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): RED 250R

2010 250R price up again!!!

$4499

Guess what? It would still be sold out! 2008 buyers made out quite ok....
Kawasabi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #2
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I think 4499 for the s/e colors and 4299 for blue or red? 2008 did quite well at 3500, i bought at 3999 + ri sales tax, but 4299 / 4499 is starting to get up there imo. Possible demand and probably weak $.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Welcome to yesterday The 4499 is for the SE and the 4299 for blue or red as Greg stated.
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...&postcount=123

Old October 6th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #4
AnarchoMoltov
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Suzuki GSX-R750

wow, thats ridiculous, it'll cost about $5500 otd from a dealer, and the year after possibly $6000..It looks good, but they have to remember it is still just a 250..
AnarchoMoltov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #5
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

The 2010 black with the persimmon red is gonna be a b**** to match that red from colorite. That red is a 3 step process and not fun. It was the 2007 pregen model color requiring that extra "base" pen or can and was a bugger to have to do any touchups. At least the 2010 passion red bike is tolerable. I guess powder coating the can black bumped the price up.... I don't see anything else thats changed. For the bump up I looked at the 2010 650... hell they dumped the red completely.... and still bumped the price up.. what the!!!! Maybe I'll grab me the red 2009 650 if its still on the floor in January... I can't believe dumpin that red version. Maybe Yamaha fizzer will get my business on the next trade in, trade up.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:20 PM   #6
Courteau
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R SE

Think possitive !
08-09 will keep higher value
Courteau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 08:12 PM   #7
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

Hmmm, that qlink 250r is looking more appealing every day (just needs some engine tweaks and a 6th gear to take the cake). Id rather have one of each though.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:08 PM   #8
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

You know I seem to recall them stating the biggest selling point of the Ninja 250 and the reason why they kept ours carbed was because of low price. I guess they forgot that part in their pursuit of profit. If they are gonna jack the price up to what 2x what it was just 3 years ago they could at least give us the FI holy f***. I'm sorry, but at that price I'd rather go get a used 600 for $3-4k which isn't hard.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 6th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #9
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
You know I seem to recall them stating the biggest selling point of the Ninja 250 and the reason why they kept ours carbed was because of low price. I guess they forgot that part in their pursuit of profit. If they are gonna jack the price up to what 2x what it was just 3 years ago they could at least give us the FI holy f***. I'm sorry, but at that price I'd rather go get a used 600 for $3-4k which isn't hard.
+1

Old October 6th, 2009, 11:03 PM   #10
null0
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 F17

California is a different story. **** you very much CARB. During the summer/fall of '08 you couldn't get one for under $5500. Now you see people trying to sell their low mileage 08's for more than a brand new 09.
null0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:07 AM   #11
backinthesaddleagain

I agree these prices will bump into some average to good used 600s, especially off season.

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:46 AM   #12
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Look on the bright side. If you already have one and are looking to sell it, even at $3000 its still $1300-$1500 cheaper than a new one.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #13
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroz1985 View Post
Look on the bright side. If you already have one and are looking to sell it, even at $3000 its still $1300-$1500 cheaper than a new one.
good point

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #14
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

It's not just the 250 going up in price and it's not just kawi going price crazy.

I haven't looked at a lot of bikes, but I was curious in seeing the 650r went up $400 as well (bumping it above 7000 now)....so I looked at the FZ6R and that bike went up 4-500 as well.

But perhaps the most outrageous bike of all (in my opinion), is the Honda Rebel! I just looked at it and the 2009 model is listed at 3999 (so the 2010 might be more). It's up to the 250r's price, and they haven't updated the rebel at all. Last I looked at them (in 08) you could get them for 2999 (or 2699 for a brand new left over 07 at the time).
The same goes for the Suzuki and Yamaha 250 cruisers, they are right around the 4000 price range with the ninja but so inferior in every was except for looks (if you like cruisers).

Everything is going up...

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:27 AM   #15
backinthesaddleagain

US dollar is weak.

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:52 AM   #16
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

$4000 for a nondescript Rebel? I think that's part of why Buell crushed their Blast for the 2010 model. It was pretty much just a nondescript bike with no real special features and the price was getting too high, time to kill it. Can't swing a dead cat around the nearby Craigslist ads without hitting a Blast posting.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:56 AM   #17
backinthesaddleagain

i was working at a honda dealer in 85 or 86 when rebel came out. many people were buying those things, and we were selling nylon or leather saddlebags like crazy. it was a real kick when they came out and basically created a small cruiser type market. at the time i only remember 2 female riders, one had a guzzi, the other a bmw.

Old October 7th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #18
sombo

Actually the real reason he killed it was because it didn't fit in with the Buell image. It was a starter bike and therefore was the first opening of a Buell product that many new riders would see. However, it was nothing special with none of the special techs that Buells have and therefore he was sick of seeing that as the 'face' of Buell to new riders. So out with the bike that has NOTHING in common with his other bikes other then the name and on with his innovative sport bikes.

Carry on with the regularly scheduled program.

Old October 7th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #19
LazinCajun
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anon

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 (Blue!)

I'm sure glad I snagged a used 08 before the 2010's come out. Like some others have mentioned, I bet this drives up the prices in the usedmarket.
I wonder how the prices on the other Japanese bikes will compare?

BTW, Kawasabi is a great username

Edit: just re-read the thread and realized all of this has already been mentioned, oops. Great minds, and all of that I would never, ever pay $4000 plus fees for a rebel. Those bikes just don't impress me at all.
Posted via Mobile Device
LazinCajun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #20
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

The price was also part of it, how can you justify a starter bike costing what a new Blast was going to be. Notice I did say part of the reason.

Old October 7th, 2009, 09:27 AM   #21
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScraitT View Post
But perhaps the most outrageous bike of all (in my opinion), is the Honda Rebel! I just looked at it and the 2009 model is listed at 3999 (so the 2010 might be more). It's up to the 250r's price, and they haven't updated the rebel at all.
This could be one reason why the 250r is increasing in price. If lesser bikes are selling for the same amount, then they are probably too low in price. If they can raise their price and not drop off enough unit sales, and actually increase their profit margins, then its probably the right decision for the company to take.

My prediction is that the 250r will continue to sell well, even at it's higher price point.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #22
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
This could be one reason why the 250r is increasing in price. If lesser bikes are selling for the same amount, then they are probably too low in price. If they can raise their price and not drop off enough unit sales, and actually increase their profit margins, then its probably the right decision for the company to take.
Exactly, especially considering that the 4,000 price tag is the 2009 rebel, not the 2010...
I personally like both cruisers and sport bikes, so when I decided to buy a bike, I did look at the rebel (as well as the other 250s). I spent a lot of time comparing the rebel and ninja. The ninja is a whole different class of bike. The rebel still has DRUM brake on the rear, redlines at 80, does the quarter mile in 18+ seconds (which almost seems dangerously slow).
The ONLY place the rebel accelerated in was price, but it look s like that is gone. In comparison between the two, I think Kawi could easily squeeze a 4999 msrp from the ninja with that as competition. So in comparison, the price of the 250 isnt bad.

Old October 7th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #23
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
The price was also part of it, how can you justify a starter bike costing what a new Blast was going to be. Notice I did say part of the reason.
Well that's part of your reasoning, but in his videos and interviews he never once mentioned the price. On the Buell site he has a video up explaining his reasons for ending the line while destroying a Blast. HIS reasoning is 100% about design and innovation which the Blast was the only bike in the lineup that lacked innovation. In his view it was not a sport bike which is what Buell is all about, therefore to him it was not a true Buell.

Back to the 250 and the crime of high pricing on modern day bikes. I for one don't think that some of the high end sport bikes should cost more then some cars.

Old October 7th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #24
CRXTrek
FORMER MOTORCYCLE RIDER

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): Rode an 08 250r then rode an 08 ZX-6R until i totaled it on 7/10/10

If you want to talk about High Prices give the Harley Davidson website a look
$10,000 for a race ready 600 super sport is not a bad deal.
CRXTrek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 10:43 AM   #25
backinthesaddleagain

agreed on the HD issue. I like the nightster, but at over $10K no thanks.

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:35 PM   #26
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Inflation?

Or perhaps I remember hearing something about motorcycle sales suffering due to the recession, so maybe this is the manufacturers' way of recouping those losses.
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM   #27
Syphen
Some weird Canuck!

Motorcycle(s): '92 CBR250RR "Babyblade", 2008 Ninja 250R, 2001 CBR600F4i

Sure, the price is up but I wish they would start offering the FI model here in US/Canada.

Old October 7th, 2009, 09:03 PM   #28
Jerry
ninjette.org member

Name: Jerry

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250

I gotta say I feel pretty smug. I got a brand new 2007 in early 08 for 2400 bucks (TTL bumped it to ~$2800)

I looked at pretty much everything used in the <3500 range, and decided this was the best deal. I'm a commuter I spend far more time on top of the bike than I do looking at it, style is barely relevant to me. As long as it can turn, I'm good. Don't get me wrong I like the bike fine, and at 2800 OTD, I felt it was a good deal.

*Unsolicited Opinion Warning Label*
At nearly $5000 bucks out the door, I would have bought a whole lot more (used) bike then. Same goes for now (Like the 3500 mile, 2003 SV650 on CL for $3500 or the page of all kinds of Buells for <$5000)

More power to Kawi, if they can get it, but if you're looking for a value bike, it seems that, since 2008, this bike isn't it.

Buell can do whatever he wants to the Blast to "up his image" (bah), but somehow that cube makes be feel like he's disowning one of his kids for being "slow." Vaguely disappointing.

*End Opinion*
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2009, 09:47 PM   #29
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
More power to Kawi, if they can get it, but if you're looking for a value bike, it seems that, since 2008, this bike isn't it.

Buell can do whatever he wants to the Blast to "up his image" (bah), but somehow that cube makes be feel like he's disowning one of his kids for being "slow." Vaguely disappointing.

*End Opinion*
I think the 2008 was the last great value for the bike. The fact that you could get an amazing looking updated bike that performs pretty damn good for being so small for under 4000 OTD ....and also the fact that (as long as it was taken care of) you can still get 3500+ for an 08. It was a good deal.

Now the 07 you got was a steal, no doubts about that. However with resale right now, your still going to loose about as much as an 08 owner will. Which still is great (500ish for owning a bike over 2 years).

As for the Blast, I dont think he disowned it for being slow...he disowned it because the bike was boring and unreliable, and because of that it was dragging down the buell name. It didnt (and at it's price point couldnt) include the innovative features of its bigger brothers like having the gas in the frame and oil in the swingarm for balance...stuff like that.
I rode a blast during my MSF course. It was new, it only had 150 miles on it (granted when only 10 miles a week at the MSF is put on it, its been there for a while)...but that bike was a POS. I honestly had written buell off until I saw that they destroyed this bike because of it ruining their reputation. So it worked for me.

On a side note...

A buddy of mine just went to the HD dealership the other day to have them change the oil in his sporty, and he saw some Vrods there which he has always wanted. Got to talking with the sales guy....eh 17k+ is a lil more then I want to spend on a bike right now, I'll pass. So the sales guy says, well how about this over here.
He walked out with a 2 year old (2007) Vrod with only 2000 miles on it. The thing is perfect, it looks like it just came off the showroom floor, not a scratch on it.
Price? 8000 OTD. Now THATS a steal in my opinion.

Old October 8th, 2009, 06:27 AM   #30
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

You can pick up brand new show room floor 08 and 09 Buell 1125R and possible XB12R/S right now for $8,000 or less. It's has apparently been a bad year for Buell sales, pretty sure the Harley sales also reflect similar discounts on the showroom bikes still left waiting. Not sure how the leftovers look for other bikes, pretty sure my local Kawi/Suzuki has a few GSXR sitting on the floor but haven't been in any other dealers for a long time.

Old October 8th, 2009, 09:55 AM   #31
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuslars View Post
Inflation?

Or perhaps I remember hearing something about motorcycle sales suffering due to the recession, so maybe this is the manufacturers' way of recouping those losses.
Could be. But raising prices in reaction to slow sales is not really a good strategy of recouping profit. You would essentially be trading top line sales for a profit rate. Typically, a strategy to recoup losses would be to hold or even reduce prices, and try to drive more unit sales. While this could reduce gross profit margins, if you could control expenses, it could lead to a higher operating profit.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2009, 07:00 AM   #32
backinthesaddleagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
You can pick up brand new show room floor 08 and 09 Buell 1125R and possible XB12R/S right now for $8,000 or less. It's has apparently been a bad year for Buell sales, pretty sure the Harley sales also reflect similar discounts on the showroom bikes still left waiting. Not sure how the leftovers look for other bikes, pretty sure my local Kawi/Suzuki has a few GSXR sitting on the floor but haven't been in any other dealers for a long time.
HD dealer wouldn't tell me what they'll take on an 09 nightster but said they have 4 and make an offer. i didn't however.

Old October 10th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #33
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Kawasaki is going to continue jacking up their price on the 250 until someone else offers a good sport-styled bike in the same price bracket.
Hey Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha, when are you guys going to start being in some of your 250-400s into North America?
(It's a rhetorical question; I already know the answer. :-| )

Old October 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #34
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

I agree with you capt... competition would surely bring down the price..

If I was in teh market for a new bike.. the N250 wouldn't be in the running for $4500.. it is simply too much money IMO..

I agree that it should have EFI for the price increases that have been imposed over the last 2 years. Bargain? The pregens are the big bargains.... for $1500-2000 you can get a great condition pregen lol...

I love the looks of the 08-10 bikes.. but for $4K, I'm lookin at some bigger cc machines with a few years under its belt. JMO of couse...

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2009, 07:33 PM   #35
backinthesaddleagain

local dealer had 2007 in excllent condition with 326 miles for around $2400. gone as soon as the weekend came. good deal for someone.

Old October 10th, 2009, 10:51 PM   #36
ScraitT
Green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_bugaloo View Post
Kawasaki is going to continue jacking up their price on the 250 until someone else offers a good sport-styled bike in the same price bracket.
It wouldnt matter. a LOT of bikes have skyrocketed in price over the last 2 years. The 650 R is no longer the bargain it seemed like before either since it is now over 7 grand. The FZ6R wen up as well.
The cruiser 250s from Honda and others are now 4000 themselves.

600s are starting to close in on the 11,000 mark.... The 2007 ZX6R was only 8,999.

It's not the 250R, it's ALL bikes. The 250R will continue to be a bargain for buying a new bike....the main problem is that with bikes getting so high so fast, it's not worth buying new anymore with the price of used bikes.

I was shocked at first too with the 250Rs jump again, but its really all bikes, not the 250 only.

Old October 11th, 2009, 11:13 AM   #37
Strider
Back on the Black!

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (Black)

The only way that Kawasaki will even think about lowering the prices of the 250 will be of all the other makes get on the 250 bandwagon! I mean seriously! It's crazy!
When the new 250 Yamaha comes out (is it 2010 or 2011?) it will be a rumored $5299 .... (according to my local Yam dealer)
But regardless .... I'll be on a 2010 ASAP, already trying to make the deal ... I was quoted $4700OTD by one dealer

Old October 11th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #38
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post
When the new 250 Yamaha comes out (is it 2010 or 2011?) it will be a rumored $5299 .... (according to my local Yam dealer)
.. er, which bike is that?

I wouldn't believe anything a dealer has to say about corporate plans. They are usually the last to know about exactly what's happening in a company. A Yammie 250 sport bike has been in the rumor mill for years... as has been a Suzuki 250. To date, nothing concrete has materialized to even hint that a manufacturer is getting serious.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 11:44 AM   #39
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

it's been said before, but I'll say it as well

RIDICULOUS!
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #40
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

It is also surprising to me that the price keeps going up at such a high rate. As many here have mentioned, I also believe that the two main reasons are lack of competition and the weak dollar (inflation pressure).
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote