ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:42 AM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Ideal Tire repair kit and portable air pump recommendations?

Going to be riding down to SoCal to visit some friends but havent had the chance to prepare a toolkit. What do you recommend for tire repair and a portable inflator? I've heard people use CO2 cartridges, are those any good?
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I've had good luck with the "stopngo" kits over the years. The CO2 cartridges are better than nothing, but they will only get enough pressure to get you to the next air station. Having a tiny electric pump on board is much more useful, and makes you that much more self sufficient if you do get stuck out in the middle of nowhere. But - it takes a little more space.

With electric pump:

http://www.stopngo.com/products/TUBE...URE-PILOT.html

With CO2 cartridges:

http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...Inflation.html

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #3
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I've had good luck with the "stopngo" kits over the years. The CO2 cartridges are better than nothing, but they will only get enough pressure to get you to the next air station. Having a tiny electric pump on board is much more useful, and makes you that much more self sufficient if you do get stuck out in the middle of nowhere. But - it takes a little more space.

With electric pump:

http://www.stopngo.com/products/TUBE...URE-PILOT.html

With CO2 cartridges:

http://www.stopngo.com/products/Pock...Inflation.html
Hmm... ok that looks neat. I dont mind so much carrying an electric pump. How does those plugs compare with the other generic gooey type?

Old July 4th, 2011, 03:59 PM   #4
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Both have their fans. I like the mushroom plugs. Others swear by the gooey string type.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old July 4th, 2011, 08:55 PM   #5
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

I always keep a tire repair kit in my rear seat cowl. It's a Bike Master kit and users CO2. Can't tell you how it works thankfully.
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 11:08 PM   #6
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanUc View Post
I always keep a tire repair kit in my rear seat cowl. It's a Bike Master kit and users CO2. Can't tell you how it works thankfully.
Yea, I'm hoping I'll never need to use it. Even in the car, I've only ever had 1 flat tire in over 10 years and that was because my friend drove my car over the center divider. Long story. In anycase, I'd have to be stuck without a spare and in this case the space is a tire repair kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Both have their fans. I like the mushroom plugs. Others swear by the gooey string type.
Guess I'll have to give both a try. I'll start with the cheaper one but since I'll be on PCH I should get an electric air compressor since I dont know when the closest gas station would be.

Is there another air compressor you would recommend instead of the stopngo kit? At $60 It's a little steep for me right now. Anything decent around $20?

Old July 5th, 2011, 12:55 AM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Haven't seen one in the $20 range. Here's a link on the aerostich site with a bunch of different ones. I have the "cyclepump" one, which was thrown in on a used bike I bought awhile back. I hadn't realized how pricey a new one was going for at this point, but it works great.

Old July 5th, 2011, 05:10 AM   #8
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Is there another air compressor you would recommend instead of the stopngo kit? At $60 It's a little steep for me right now. Anything decent around $20?
Walmart sells a tiny air compressor for $10 that fits really nicely in the seat cowl.

http://www.slime.com/product/911/Tir...f-(40020).html
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:17 AM   #9
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
Walmart sells a tiny air compressor for $10 that fits really nicely in the seat cowl.

http://www.slime.com/product/911/Tir...f-(40020).html
Very cool. Looks like I could splice it with a quick connect to the battery tender port and on my way. Thanks.

Old July 5th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #10
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

This is the one I carry:
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...&item=INN_2425

Compressors, hand pumps and CO2 inflators all have their advantages and disadvantages. If you go with CO2, I recommend that you get one like above that uses regular CO2 cartridges. Most of them that I have seen use special threaded cartridges. It takes about 2 cartridges to fully inflate a Ninja tire.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #11
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
This is the one I carry:
http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...&item=INN_2425

Compressors, hand pumps and CO2 inflators all have their advantages and disadvantages. If you go with CO2, I recommend that you get one like above that uses regular CO2 cartridges. Most of them that I have seen use special threaded cartridges. It takes about 2 cartridges to fully inflate a Ninja tire.
Only 2? that's pretty cool too. Hmm wow choices. How about plugs? any cheap but adequate suggestions? I see the gooey ones for pretty cheap but not sure which brand makes decent ones.

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:45 PM   #12
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
Only 2? that's pretty cool too. Hmm wow choices. How about plugs? any cheap but adequate suggestions? I see the gooey ones for pretty cheap but not sure which brand makes decent ones.
I don't know which is better on the plugs. I carry the gooey ones with me and bought a kit at the hardware store for about $10. It came with the two tools, about 5 plugs and a small tube of rubber cement. I have used them on car tires with good success, but I have never had to use them on the bike.

I have heard that whatever plug you use, its just to get you to the tire store and not for regular riding. Again, I don't know if that is true or not. I would love to hear what people say here about that.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM   #13
bettysmith
ninjette.org member

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ex250 (Blue)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
I don't know which is better on the plugs. I carry the gooey ones with me and bought a kit at the hardware store for about $10. It came with the two tools, about 5 plugs and a small tube of rubber cement. I have used them on car tires with good success, but I have never had to use them on the bike.

I have heard that whatever plug you use, its just to get you to the tire store and not for regular riding. Again, I don't know if that is true or not. I would love to hear what people say here about that.
There was a pretty big thread over on SBN about this a little while back. A lot of people had said they have never seen a tire plug (non mushroom) fail, including those in motorcycle tires. A few people noted that certain track day organizations even allow plugged tires.
bettysmith is offline   Reply With Quote