ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ninjettes At Speed

Old October 31st, 2009, 03:18 PM   #161
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

First time I came across this thread, been out of the loop. Hope you get well Jon, and you are in my prayers.

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2009, 09:28 AM   #162
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

Glad to hear that Jon is on the mend and getting better, keep it up Jon.

nb

Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:05 AM   #163
camaroz1985
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Was helping my gf with some homework this weekend (masters in speech pathology) and it was going through levels of recovery or something, and I thinking about where Jon is now. From my very very very limited knowledge on the subject it looked very good.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:07 PM   #164
kkim

10/31
2:00pm- My parents came into town and I went with them to visit Jon. They immediately said they could tell a difference since they last saw him. Jon recognized them and showed my mother his sad face. Lori was shaving off his beard because it had grown too long. When we were leaving his room, my mother said he looked upset when I said goodbye to him.

11/1
1:00pm- Jon was awake, watching the tv in his room. He was a little sweaty and had his right leg crossed over his left and had it hanging over the bed. He is still rubbing his right hand up and down and we've only seen small finger movements from his left. We still haven't seen Jon move his left leg. We are hoping to receive the MRI results tomorrow.

via: Penny

4:00pm-Ayden came up to read to Daddy today. When we arrived Jon's right leg was crossed completely over his left leg and his whole body was leaned & shifted over to the right. He seemed severely agitated or in extreme pain. His vitals were off the charts as soon as I entered & immediately could tell something was not right. This was the first I heard "moaning" coming from his vocals, as well. We quickly called in his nurse and shifted his body back to "normal". Ayden began reading to him and he quickly relaxed and listened to Ayden read to him for awhile until he closed his eyes and slept. Lori arrived and stated that he finally seemed relaxed. The family all seems to agree that Jon is experiencing sadness these past few days. It's very important that we keep positive when talking to Jon during visits.
We hope to have the MRI results soon.

via: Nadine

11/2
12:30pm - Jon was about to go to sleep when I came to see him at lunch. He had just finished his routine physical therapy and looked relaxed and worn out. Lori said he now opens his eyes when you call his name or touch him when before he was inconsistently responding to these stimuli. However, he has been consistent with showing sad emotion to everyone: family, friends and medical professionals. Lori is thinking about talking to Jon's appointed psychologist to see if he can prescribe him an antidepressant. Tomorrow is the last authorized day for Jon's stay at LifeCare. The insurance process will determine whether Jon can stay additional days or will need to be transferred to Baylor. Lori spoke to Baylor's rep on the phone and was told that if Jon needs to be moved tomorrow, Baylor has a room ready for him. This is great news.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 12:56 AM   #165
zartan

Name: zartan

Motorcycle(s): 08 250 R

Thanks Kelly, Now more than ever Jon and his family will need strength sent their way. With the awakening comes comprehension and fear before the real work of rehab starts. More strength for Jon to work hard and realize he will make it through this and more strength for his amazing family to now watch him go through the gammit of emotions and allowing him to process all this.

I wish them peace and sending strength to all of them.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 02:14 PM   #166
OldGuy
Live Life

Name: Don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Green SE Ninja 250

Continued good news - thanks for keeping us up to date Kelly.

Old November 3rd, 2009, 04:19 PM   #167
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

Quote:
11/3
1:00pm-Jon is still at Lifecare in Plano and has not been moved to Baylor Downtown as of yet. We hope to have information on Jon's transfer and MRI results soon. Jon seems to be resting and relaxed today. He responded consistently and positively when I reminded him about Penny's birthday today and when I asked for his approval to take her out for her special day. He seems to make a face by lifting his eyebrows and looking "relieved" when he is in agreement or wants to say "yes" to something when asked. I was happy to see less of the sadness in Jon today.

Happy Birthday Penny-we love you!

Old November 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM   #168
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thank you to KKim and noche caliente for keeping us all informed.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:05 PM   #169
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Kelly and N.C. : Thanks for the updates. Our prayers are still with Jon and his family. The news are certainly encouraging. Will definitely keep the prayers coming.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #170
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

Quote:
7:30pm- I spent some time talking with Jon this evening. He got noticeably upset as I reminisced of our trip last year and he started to cry when I was encouraging him of his situation. I kept reassuring him that he has nothing to worry about, that his family is with him everyday so he never has to fear of being alone, and that everyone is rooting for him and supporting him. I told him he has to be patient: I know he wants to do everything all at once and get right up, but he's going to have to take it one day at a time and understand that it's going to take time. I told him he has to stay strong and be willful to succeed (which I know he has always naturally been) and that we are counting on him. I also said that we will be strong for him and be there every step of the way with him. After about half an hour of our conversation, Jon started to fall asleep from exhaustion and emotional drain. I asked Lori afterwards what she thought, and she said Jon hasn't been this upset before as he was with me. I don't know if I should take that as a good or bad thing, but all I know is that he understood me and tried to respond. Even though it broke my heart that I couldn't do more for him, I did everything I could to keep a smile on my face and soothe him with my words and kisses.

apparently from last night.

I get the feeling that he has been able to understand things for a while now (off and on), but lacks the skills to respond which has been making him upset. I can only image how I would feel in that situation, but I would probably be pretty unhappy if all I wanted to say was one or two words and no longer knew how to do it.
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #171
camaroz1985

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 WR250R, 2006 Ural Raven (Sold), 2009 Versys Green (Sold), 2008 Ninja 250R Green (Sold)

Reading this makes you tear up on one hand, but is a good sign on the other, because he can understand what is going on, and is showing emotion.
camaroz1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #172
Sailariel

Thumbs up

Expressive Aphasia is not uncommon in head injuries---sounds like there will be a speech therapist on the treatment team very soon. This expression of emotion is a good sign, indeed. Let`s keep the prayers going--they are definitely working.

Old November 4th, 2009, 06:59 PM   #173
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Strange... the link on the first page no longer works.

Old November 4th, 2009, 11:04 PM   #174
zartan

yes you seem to have to actually sign in a request to join now. Which is a bummer because I can not stand facebook so reactivating my account is not really what I want to do. But most important I want to check in...so I did sign back up.

Old November 5th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #175
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

I do not and will not have a facebook account!

Old November 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM   #176
noche_caliente

Quote:
11/5
12:30pm-Jon was running a high fever this morning but it seems to have broke this afternoon during our visit. He seemed to be resting although he does wake up when you call his name or mess with him a bit to visit. Jon's good friends, Beth & Tyler came up to visit today and remarked how unbelievable his progress has been even in the last week. Everyone seems to agree that his progress in his Cognitive functioning is increasing drastically each day. Still waiting on the MRI results and the official day of Jon's transfer to Baylor. Lori thinks Jon may be at Baylor by Monday. We will keep you updated.

------Adding on to Nadine's update, Lori told me she heard a little bit of Jon's voice when he was trying to talk to her this morning. He didn't form words, but he did utter new sounds. When I saw him at lunch, he was dozing off and had a towel on his head to control his temperature.

Old November 6th, 2009, 07:30 AM   #177
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Well the FB group is open again.

Old November 8th, 2009, 07:45 AM   #178
noche_caliente

Quote:
11/7
7:30pm - Jon was alert and watching his tv when i visited him. He started to receive a breathing treatment for a few minutes and he became agitated. He is moving his right leg more vigorously and this movement seems to be less involuntary and more expressive. The more upset he became as I talked to him, the more he would slam his right foot down on his bed. He also has more movement in his right hand where he is moving all his fingers and flipping his wrist back and forth.

It's getting harder and harder to leave Jon when I come visit as he seems to get upset and doesn't want me to leave. He still has strong emotion in his facial expressions and he is aware and alert to all kinds of movement around him. I reminded him why and where he was, what happened and what we were going to do going forward. He was very upset and wanted to say something but I reassured him everything was ok and that we're going to take this one day at a time.

Old November 8th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #179
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

i cant even imagine how frustrating that must be for him. Get well soon Jon!!
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #180
Sailariel

Tried something new today---Had the whole congregation pray for Jon at mass this morning. Will repeat next Sunday as well.

Old November 9th, 2009, 08:42 AM   #181
zartan

good idea!

Old November 9th, 2009, 09:22 AM   #182
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailariel View Post
Tried something new today---Had the whole congregation pray for Jon at mass this morning. Will repeat next Sunday as well.

HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #183
noche_caliente

Quote:
11/8
7:30pm - Jon has showed more mouth movement tonight. He looks as if he wants to yell or scream. Lori said he hasn't been this consistent with these mouth gestures before. She reminds him that he can't talk right now because he has a trach tube. Jon still moves his right leg around and moreso when's he frustrated or wants to communicate. Lori noticed a bruise/bedsore that has developed under Jon's right foot. His right hand is also rubbed raw and calloused from the constant friction. We've been keeping a mit on it to help prevent him from scratching himself or getting a hold of his tubes. We're still waiting on his MRI results and the exact date of his move to Baylor.

11/9
1:00pm-Jon seemed overly agitated and real emotional today. His leg and wrist movements were non-stop throughout our visit. He also showed extreme emotion today-lots of opening of his mouth wide, gagging/coughing, and his crying face. It seemed more difficult to calm him down today-almost impossible to get him to rest or relax for more than a minute at a time. The times that he did cease body movement and slowed breathing/heart was when I spoke of Ayden. As if he was listening intently on what I was saying about our son.
One of Jon's medicine's doctors arrived to check on Jon and explained that his fevers are localized to one area, not running through his body/bloodstream. He thinks it could be due to his UTI, the brain injury, and possibly his trach. He said they are going to send off more of the fluids for another culture sample just to make sure that the infection is not coming from his trach. I spoke with Lori after leaving and she confirmed that both Lifecare & Baylor are really pushing to get Jon out of Lifecare & on to Baylor. She mentioned that they may decide to do another new MRI on Jon's ligaments in his neck seeing as the one we have been waiting for is now dated.
We hope to have more info on his transfer soon.

via:Nadine

Old November 9th, 2009, 07:59 PM   #184
backinthesaddleagain

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

This is very heart wrenching. I pray for Jon's recovery as well as his son, and all those close to Jon.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #185
empire00
ninjette.org member

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r SE, 2015 FJ-09

Quote:
She mentioned that they may decide to do another new MRI on Jon's ligaments in his neck seeing as the one we have been waiting for is now dated.
We hope to have more info on his transfer soon.
nothing is more frustraiting than redoing test like this. i spent a full week making at least one trip to the hospital a day to do CTs MRIs and Xrays. only for them to call me and tell me they werent good enough or were dated a few days later. i hate to be this way but if its time sensitive it should have priority.
empire00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2009, 08:16 PM   #186
kkim

11/10
12:00pm-Jon seems to have broke his fever today. Lori said he has been resting most of the day but was awake when his good friend, and teammate, Darin came to visit and give him his 2009 F6 Endurance Racing Champion trophy. This is a huge accomplishment for the team!
Lori should be hearing this afternoon when Jon's transfer to Baylor will be. We are hoping this week seeing as Jon's progression and cognitive function has increased drastically in the past 2 weeks. We all believe that Jon is more than ready to begin his next step in his recovery process. You can check the links on the group page to read about Baylor and their Traumatic Brain Injury Programs.

kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2009, 04:46 PM   #187
noche_caliente

Quote:
7:00pm - Jon's temperature was reading 101.8 when I visited him. They won't move him to Baylor just yet because of his fever. They want to make sure he's medically stable enough to make the transfer. He didn't seem as upset as he has been the past few days. I showed him his trophy again and a school picture of Ayden. He watched intently at everything I did and kept eye contact. I tried to play some music for him but it seemed to upset him a little bit. I turned it off and laid my head next to his on his left side and stayed close to him for awhile. That seemed to calm him and help him relax. His left hand was close to my face and even though he can only slightly move his fingers, I could have sworn he tried to touch my face with them. Maybe it's just my imagination or a coincidence, but I felt he was responding in some way. I'd glance up once in awhile and see that he was looking at me. It was hard saying goodnight because he got upset that I was leaving. I turned on his tv so that he would have something to focus on.

11/11

12:00pm - They had Jon's bed lowered closer to the floor when I came in (probably left that way after his physical therapy routine) and he was receiving his breathing treatment. He was very calm and looked at me with a peaceful face. He didn't get upset or agitated. They had given him a small dose of painkillers earlier in the morning; this may be why he was relaxed and sedated. Since he was positioned lower in his bed, we could tell for the first time that he was moving his upper body slightly when he moved his right leg. It's like he's trying to get out of bed. Lori just found out that Jon got confirmation to be moved to Baylor tomorrow around noon. He will not need surgery on his neck.

Old November 11th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #188
OldGuy
Live Life

What great news about Jon's neck and his move to Baylor - Progress.

The more I read the post the more I know that Jon is there and trying to communicate with the ones he loves. I can only begin to imagine his frustration but so admire the love of his family and friends.

Old November 12th, 2009, 07:51 PM   #189
noche_caliente

Quote:
11/12
12:00pm-Jon is officially discharged from Lifecare Plano and on his way to Baylor Downtown Dallas. He seemed calm today and listened while I explained to him how happy and excited we all are for him. For the first time I saw a very natural look of contentment and calmness in his face. One of Jon's nurses gave Jon some medicine to keep him sedated and free of pain while on the ambulance right before the EMT's loaded him up. He seemed to relax more and nodded off. Although, as Lori and I waited outside by the ambulance while they prepared to load him up, we noticed Jon was fully awake. He immediately spotted us standing about 20 feet away. He kept his eyes locked on us as we waved, blew kisses, and gave him the thumbs up. I made sure to tell Jon to take a deep breath of fresh air on this beautiful day. Lori is on her way to Baylor to meet Jon.

Jon and the family would like to extend thanks to Lifecare of Plano and their wonderful staff for taking care of Jon and the family these past two trying months.
Of course we will continue to keep you all updated on Jon's continuous journey. Thanks again for all the love and support.

Old November 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #190
Shift250R
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Had a special guest speaker come to my school yesterday. He was in a motorcycle accident and was in a coma for 1 year. The doctors thought he would never be more than a vegetable but through his families support and faith he is walking and talking today. Hes a true walking miracle but his family and friends never gave up on pushing him to get better even when he seemed hopeless.

Heres his video just to give hope no matter what it may seem right now.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Part 2

Link to original page on YouTube.

Shift250R is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2009, 06:08 PM   #191
noche_caliente

Quote:
Lori Broom we're here. jon is across the street getting some testing done. he is in room 307-2. zac chapman is in the same room but in bed 4. how weird is that!!! very excited about some of the things they have already talked to me about doing with jon. also he is not on any oxygen (he is at 100%) and is not connected to an ...Read More
Yesterday at 5:48pm

Old November 14th, 2009, 10:40 AM   #192
HMB-ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R(red) 09 Ninja 650R(red) 08 PGO Buddy 150(Pamplona)

i just came across this thread and had no idea that this had happened. Jon, get well soon, you will be in my thoughts and i will ride with you in mind everyday
HMB-ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #193
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Thanks for the post Shift250R that is very incouraging.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM   #194
Sailariel

Well, tomorrow is Sunday. Will go for a repeat of last Sunday. There was an article, I recall, in the New England Journal of Medicine that showed evidence that people who were prayed for---whether they knew it or not, improved. Can`t hurt, so let`s keep the prayers coming. I am convinced that it will make a difference. Wouldn`t it be cool if everyone on this forum went to church on Sunday and prayed for Jon? And if one is not churchgoing, they did a "moment of silence" Certainly worth a try with little effort involved.

Old November 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM   #195
OldGuy
Live Life

+1

Old November 14th, 2009, 07:56 PM   #196
Sailariel

Don, Will be doing it for you and Becky as well. She`s back at work--still hurting, but getting better.

Old November 15th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #197
noche_caliente

Quote:
Lori Broom: had jon in a wheelchair this morning. we went outside for about 10 minutes. what a great feeling
Yesterday at 4:14pm

Old November 15th, 2009, 05:45 PM   #198
zartan

From the wall today! gotta love those therapy dogs they woof hard to get folks better. Go Jon!

Quote:
Lori Broom: jon is doing so good. he was in his chair twice today and went outside. ayden was here all day and jon seemed to enjoy that. they had a therapy dog, ely, lay next to him and he actually opened his right hand to pet him. david headed home (boohoo) i miss him already. today was a good day!

Old November 16th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #199
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

anyone knows Jon's new room #/address and visiting hours?
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2009, 05:21 PM   #200
noche_caliente

Quote:
11/16:
12:00pm - Jon's new room at Baylor is shared with 3 others. He had just finished his physical therapy for the morning and was returning to his bed when I arrived. He was in a wheelchair and very alert, kicking his right leg up and moving his right hand. He was wearing a regular t-shirt and scrub pants. They had removed his catheter and have a waist band around him that helps with his blood pressure when he's sitting up and helps prevent him from rubbing/scratching his stomach area.

His speech psychologist worked with him this morning and said he spoke for the first time: his first word since his accident was "YES". When Lori told me the news, I tried it myself, crouched down by his wheelchair and asked Jon if he was feeling ok. I told him to tell me yes or no. I put my ear up close to his mouth and he breathed "YES" and I caught a glimpse of his voice. No words can explain this miracle. He watched me talk to Lori and move to the other side of his bed. When I walked across the room to talk to his friend Zac who has also had a TBI racing his motorcycle, he kept his eyes on me and Zac. He started to kick his leg more and become agitated because he wanted me to come back over to him. We calmed him down and he started to fall asleep when I left. I have posted his routine therapy schedule above under the group description in "Basic Info".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Broom
jon is doing so good here. he said yes earlier today and then said f--- later in the day during therapy. that's a good sign... he does still have the feeding tube but he is not on an iv anymore or using the picc line. that should be coming out soon (picc line). another good day in dallas, can't ask for more than that for now.
about an hour ago