ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old October 22nd, 2014, 03:14 AM   #1
GreatScott
Virgin Blood

Name: GreatScott

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja-250

2012 Genuine Buddy 170i won't start (scooter)

I'm gonna cheat here and paste a post I left on the Modern Buddy forum. Hoping someone has some insight on the matter.

My wife went down last week on her 170i. No serious injuries other than a bruised ego.

The bike was running on its side for a couple of minutes before she was able to get her head around what had happened, hit the kill switch and then pull her foot out from under it. It remained on it's side for an addition several minutes. Maybe in total, the bike was on it's side for ten minutes. When she got back on it the bike wouldn't start. Towed to our house and now I am tasked with getting her back on the road.

Facts:

- All lights are functioning as is the horn
- Both hand brakes activate the brake light
- When you first turn the bike on you can hear the fuel pump do its thing
- You can hear the starter solenoid engage but the starter doesn't run
- I pulled the front cowl off and all the fuses are good and well seated
- The battery is less than three months old and fresh off the tender

What am I missing? Why won't this thing start?

A suggestion was made that the engine may have seized. Operating on its side starved areas of oil and the engine decided to take a dump. It's a plausible yet depressing idea.
GreatScott is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 22nd, 2014, 05:01 AM   #2
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Im sure you did this but I got to ask if you turned the kill switch on.

Pull the spark plug. It could have fuel or oil on top the piston locking it up. Try cranking it without the plug installed. Place a rag handy to catch anything that might come out. And place the old spark plug in the plug wire and let it sit on something metal like the engine block. (don't touch it) and watch for spark. Have a fire extinguisher handy anytime you work on scooters.