ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Liist
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Eating Healthier

Ever since I was let loose in college, I've gained at least 30 pounds and my sleep schedule is way off. I decided I got tired of feeling like **** and I stopped eating fast food and stopped drinking soda. I am going to try to eat less and less processed food once I clean out my pantry. I feel much better already now that McDonald's isn't my number one most common item on my bank statement.

I feel like I've been lied to all my life with the food pyramid. I always say I eat all my food groups by eating a pizza and have some fruit juice on the side.

I hope cutting from 220 to 180 will make me a lot more nimble on my Ninjette.

Last futzed with by Liist; March 26th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Liist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:29 PM   #2
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Nikkita* - 2003 Buell XB9R

Sounds like a good plan. I'm 19..going to college but living at home currently. I found myself to have never gone over 140 lbs (135ish currently)...im a skinny kid, not really muscular but that's ok by me. I rarely eat breakfast since I always wake up at the last possible second in the morning and rush out the door, lol. It's a load of fun just going down roads and flicking the bike around side to side...its so light!
NikkitaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM   #3
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

When you see how good you feel without putting junk food into your body, you won't even crave it any more.

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
NikkitaNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Nikkita* - 2003 Buell XB9R

Agreed. I stopped drinking anything with caffeine in it and started just drinking juice and water and I noticed I actually had a whole hell of a lot more energy during the day and felt much better.
NikkitaNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #5
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
When you see how good you feel without putting junk food into your body, you won't even crave it any more.
This.

Last year around this time I weighed ~230. I've always hovered right around 200, so it was a pretty big surprise. With my job, I was eating lots of junk food and drinking at least 1 energy drink per day. First, I stopped drinking energy drinks, and the caffeine withdrawal I had for the next few days was enough to tell me I needed to change. I changed my diet and lost 40 pounds in two months. Once I started exercising along with my healthy diet, I lost 40 more in the next 4-5 months. My doctor wasn't happy with the rapid weight loss, but since it happened so fast with minimal effort from me, I don't think it was done in an unhealthy manner.
You'll be shocked at how much better you feel when you start eating healthy foods. Good luck
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:04 PM   #6
Liist
ninjette.org guru

In my case, it's because of my job that I can start eating healthy. Something's wrong when soda is cheaper than fruit. It's expensive to eat healthy but I have so much more energy during the day. I find it's the best thing to eat a nice breakfast in the morning.

I hope to see the same rapid weight loss as dk58. I'm so tired of seeing and feeling my gut constantly.

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Good for you. Get going on this ASAP… it gets a lot harder as you get older.

I'm 5'7" and at my peak weighed almost 185. That's not obese, but considering I was about 150 when I got married 25 years ago it's huge. I now weigh 160-165 and would like to lose another 5-10, but I'm doing pretty well considering I've got a sedentary job.

Here's what I learned: Losing weight is about self-awareness more than anything else. We overeat because we don't think about eating.

I'm a writer by profession and a believer in the power of words to affect your thinking. In English, when we've had enough to eat, what do we say?

"I'm full." "I'm stuffed."

The French (who are not as fat as we are despite drinking wine all the time and eating rich food) say the equivalent of "I have no more hunger." That's a very different thing. Think about it. Eat until you're no longer hungry (instead of eating until you can't eat any more) and you won't eat as much.

In the US we don't eat because we're hungry. We eat for the flavor, because it's time to eat, because we crave or because we've been conditioned to eat everything on our plate. And our portions are enormous.

Here's a trick. Next time you reach for something, stop and listen to your body for a moment. Are you REALLY hungry? Really? As often as not, you aren't. Stop. Think. Listen to your body.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #8
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I eat when I am hungry. And when I eat I try to eat somewhat healthy. I don't eat fast food much but when I do I try to get something somewhat healthy. I live at home and go to college. So I eat most of my meals at home. I think if people just made their own meals then they would be healthier. I also gave up soft drinks like 3 years ago. I pretty much only drink water and sweet tea. And one cup of coffee every morning.

I can't gain weight either. Haha. I have been around 145ish for a while and 6ft tall. Yes, I am skinny and tall. I just can't gain weight. But it is probably because my lifestyle. I get at least 8hrs of sleep at night, run/mtn bike for exercise, eat only when I am hungry and not when I am bored. I would like to gain some muscle and be a lean 160 someday but I have a hard time sticking to an exercise routine. And I find lifting weights to be super boring. I like running/mtn biking because you are outside enjoying the world. I guess I am more of an endurance type of person.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 27th, 2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Liist
ninjette.org guru

I hear you. I couldn't lift weights worth of crap but I was a very fit rower back in the day. I absolutely abhorred weightlifting and somewhat enjoyed running.

Old March 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #10
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liist View Post
Ever since I was let loose in college, I've gained at least 30 pounds and my sleep schedule is way off. I decided I got tired of feeling like **** and I stopped eating fast food and stopped drinking soda. I am going to try to eat less and less processed food once I clean out my pantry. I feel much better already now that McDonald's isn't my number one most common item on my bank statement.

I feel like I've been lied to all my life with the food pyramid. I always say I eat all my food groups by eating a pizza and have some fruit juice on the side.

I hope cutting from 220 to 180 will make me a lot more nimble on my Ninjette.
The food pyramid is pretty flawed in modern times, it was designed to avoid malnutrition, but when people actually cooked their meals from scratch.

Look at the numbers of servings recommended, you would become the size of a goodyear blimp eating that much.

Pizza takes the piss with the food pyramid, (if done correctly) tons of cheese & meat, some veg + the tomato sauce, thin crust. I like pizza but it's full of fat.

Healthiest eating tip I can give is to learn to cook from scratch (or as close to as possible)
For example:
Burger = burger bun + 1/3lb lean minced (ground) beef, freshly chopped onion, freshly chopped tomato, leuttice, slice of solid cheese (not that plastic processed cheese) and ketchup.

It's a bit of work, but make one & taste the difference. I havn't had a big mac in about 4 years ... and typing this has made me hungry
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #11
Heed

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkitaNinja View Post
Sounds like a good plan. I'm 19..going to college but living at home currently. I found myself to have never gone over 140 lbs (135ish currently)...im a skinny kid, not really muscular but that's ok
This basically describes myself very accurately. I think I'm about 135 on the nose. Always had a fast metabolism but I think it has slowed down a lot lately. I even eat when I'm bored. And I have a nervous habit of stuffing my face whenever I get anxious and I don't even realize it.

Started eating Quaker oatmeal every morning. 1 cup of oats, some water, 45 seconds in the microwave. Add some cinnamon. It's really nice because it's fast, easy, and healthy which is an unusual combination.

I stopped drinking soda for good as well. Maybe a Gatorade once in a great while, which isn't so much better than a pop in terms of sugar, anyway, but at least it has electrolytes, isn't carbonated and has less caffiene.

It really sucks that it's expensive to eat healthy...especially now with gas prices.. but at the same time it's about decisions. I mean, an organic beat can cost $4 but so can a Starbucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Good for you. Get going on this ASAP… it gets a lot harder as you get older.

this is important to note too.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:46 PM   #12
dk58
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250R

Once you start to be mindful of the things you are eating, it's pretty easy to eat cheap and healthy. Portions have a lot to do with that as well. Cutting out junk like chips, soda, and other foods that have no nutritional value is the easiest way to eat "healthy". I also try to adhere to a high protein diet, which also helps if you are active. Just try to find something that works for you and keep it up
dk58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heed View Post
It really sucks that it's expensive to eat healthy...especially now with gas prices.. but at the same time it's about decisions. I mean, an organic beat can cost $4 but so can a Starbucks.
Organic is not necessarily better, and GM is not necessarily worse.

Chemical pesticides mean the plant doesn't have to produce it's own toxins to fight off bugs, and can be washed off.
Farmers have been genetically modifying their stock for centuries by breeding from the bigger fatter animals, and using the seeds from the best plants as next year's stock.
Geneticists have just figured out which genes are most useful to introduce
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #14
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
Lies, all lies! I've been eating healthier all year. Cut out fast food, soda, potato chips, beer, mayo, tea, etc etc. I have no energy, I'm so freaking sick of drinking nothing but water, and every time I pass a Hardee's I want to stop for a juicy, mouth-watering, fat- and calorie-laden burger. Eating healthy sucks!!! (To top it off I haven't lost a pound)

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #15
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

If you feel a craving for a burger, then get a burger. Don't deny yourself. Everything in moderation.

I'm not sure what you are eating that leaves you with no energy. I work out three days a week, cycle three days a week (sometimes four), and do typical house chores like mowing a hilly acre of grass that adds to my physical workload.

I eat apples, carrots, and celery for breakfast. I snack on the same as well as almonds. I have a low-carb wrap with turkey/ham/sometimes roast beef and plenty of fresh tomatoes and some lettuce for lunch. I eat a black bean salsa with tortilla chips for dinner (sometimes I swap this for lunch and eat a wrap for dinner). I usually fit in a PB&J sandwich using organic PB and Jam on whole-wheat bread as a later night snack.

My workout and cycling is fairly intense and the above food is pretty much all I eat. I drink water and keep a two-liter of Mountain Dew in the fridge to sip on. It usually takes me two weeks to finish it. I'd be curious to know what, and how much, you are eating, that is leaving you void of energy. I actually do my workouts before I eat as well.

You may want to consider seeing a doctor if you haven't noticed a single pound of weight loss and are lacking in energy.

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:40 AM   #16
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I dropped sodas for the most part. I am mainly iced tea (no sweetner), water, juice or coffee. I even try to limit the juice.

I just found out this week that my wife is buckling down and watching her intake. I shall do the same. Maybe I'll make dinner on my days off this week to try to help her out. I think I'll try a vegetarian meal at least once every two weeks. That will be good.

Heck, I lost 20lbs since October, but I've gained back about 3 or 4. That happens, a fluctuation like that is normal. Anyway, I am going to work out harder and eat better.

You are not alone! hahaha

Now I just need to get rid of this sinus infection......

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 04:04 AM   #17
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
Lies, all lies! I've been eating healthier all year. Cut out fast food, soda, potato chips, beer, mayo, tea, etc etc. I have no energy, I'm so freaking sick of drinking nothing but water, and every time I pass a Hardee's I want to stop for a juicy, mouth-watering, fat- and calorie-laden burger. Eating healthy sucks!!! (To top it off I haven't lost a pound)
You can't claim that a burger and fries gives you more energy than chicken and a baked potato It's just not true and people use these excuses to justify going back to eating like ****. From what it sounds like, your diet was disgusting. Sounds like you made a pretty big change all at once and it's too much for you to handle.

Old March 30th, 2012, 04:34 AM   #18
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
@Reswob:

You can cut out all that stuff and still eat too much. IMHO you're focusing on the wrong thing. Don't obsess over what you can and can't eat. You've got a negative view of this… (IT SUCKS BUT I HAVE TO DO IT AND I'M NOT LOSING WEIGHT!) No wonder you're miserable.

What I learned is that it's really, really simple. If you consume less than you burn, you'll lose weight. Period. So pay attention to just one thing… just one. How many calories you consume. (duh.)

I found that doing the whole "is this healthy or isn't it and why the heck am I still heavy?" dance was too complicated and too much of a negative thing. It was all about denial. "I can't eat this or that anymore. What a bummer." Instead, I just paid attention to how many calories I was eating.

If I crave a fast food burger, then fine, I can have one. It won't kill me. Of course, one fast food burger pretty much blows half my daily calorie budget, so if I eat it I have to make that up somewhere else. It's just like having an allowance as a kid. You can buy the expensive thing or a lot more stuff if you go for less expensive items. You learn to budget.

Doing it this way requires you to have just a little bit of discipline… to actually figure out how much you're putting in your pie hole, track it honestly, and use that information.

I used a website (and app) called Loseit, and it made it really, really easy. (http://www.loseit.com). It's a simple calorie tracker with a food database -- and you can customize the database. You tell it what you weigh, how much you want to weigh and how fast you need to get there (tip: Go slow) and it gives you a budget. Enter everything you eat (EVERYTHING) and you see instantly how much you can still eat that day. Stick to that and you'll lose weight.

Eating healthy comes almost as a side effect of this simple activity, because you can eat a lot more healthy food for the same number of calories. You start seeing the world differently. "Wait, you mean I can have this ENORMOUS plate of healthy food or I can have just one small fast-food burger? What a no-brainer!" What amazed me when I did this was how full I was all the time.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 30th, 2012, 07:41 AM   #19
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Well said, Andrew. I do the same as well. My mother just came back from a cousin's wedding in New Orleans. She brought back Hubig's lemon pies, as she always does when she takes a trip down there.

I LOVE THOSE THINGS, LOVE THEM.
But a single pie has about 500 calories and 16 grams of fat, which is a large chuck of my daily intake. I had two, separate days of course, and simply made sure to eat less elsewhere. You shouldn't ever deny yourself, but you do need to make up for it during your later meals that day as you mention in order for everything to balance out.

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:39 AM   #20
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

Quote:
You can't claim that a burger and fries gives you more energy than chicken and a baked potato It's just not true and people use these excuses to justify going back to eating like ****. From what it sounds like, your diet was disgusting. Sounds like you made a pretty big change all at once and it's too much for you to handle.
It was disgusting. All my life I would eat fast food 3-4 times a week, and would constantly be snacking on something. House was stocked with junk food, potato chips, cookies, frozen snacks. You name it, if it was bad for you, I ate a ton of it. But eating all that crap, I weighed the same as I do now. Probably because I went out and burned it all off, versus now I intake a lot less, but I'm exhausted 2 miles into my favorite bike trail!

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #21
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Probably because I went out and burned it all off, versus now I intake a lot less, but I'm exhausted 2 miles into my favorite bike trail!
Use that to enhance your workout. It is scientifically proven that typically males see better gains from workouts by not eating several hours before one. It does tire you out faster, and that's the point. Your body is then forced to use up your fat reserves so long as you have the willpower to keep pushing through the workout.

Old March 30th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #22
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
I'm exhausted 2 miles into my favorite bike trail!
The way around it is not to ride as hard. Take a more mellow, but longer pace. This avoids "hitting the wall" as hard as when you push hard. A slower pace allows your body to progressively switch gears from food fuel to fat fuel. I have been ditching the sprinters legs I used to have and have been working on my diesel engine. Now I can ride longer than I ever did before. I have not gained much in overall speed (I still sprint up to about 30mph on my road bicycle), but I can sustain a given pace for much longer than before (my usual pace went from 14mph when I started riding to 17+mph).

This year on my MS150 ride, instead of riding 90-miles to the overnight rest point, I am going to push it to 120-miles and ride 3/4 of the entire ride in one day. Essentially I will be riding from Houston to the lunch stop on the second day's leg in Bastrop. At least that only leaves me about a 30-mile ride into downtown Austin that Sunday (plus I get to sleep in!). It will be so much fun! hahahaha

I'm borderline psychotic when it comes to riding. I love punishing myself and pushing myself further than I ever have before. The human body is an amazing machine.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote