ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Notices

Old November 18th, 2008, 06:30 PM   #1
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Name: Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Hi, I am trouble!

Hello,

kkim invited me over here to join some of the better folks that share our common passion... the Kawasaki Ninja 250R!

So a little about me... I've been riding about 23 years, give or take... I've had a lot of bikes over there years, and I've been around a few other motorcycle forums for quite a while. Originally I am from NJ, but I have moved around for a while following webhosting companies, and watching nearly all of those dotcoms failing. I finally crash-landed here in Pensacola, FL. I've still got my NJ accent and my city sethemnse of humor.

Currently I also ride a custom chopper that I (re)built last year, an 2001 SV650 poject bike which I am fitting with a 2-stroke CR500 engine because I am crazy, a custom project 1980 Puch Magnum II moped that I've had for 16 years, and the most fun bike of all... my '08 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 250R!

I hope to see things grow around here, and I am sure to always contribute.

This is Skeeter, and yes she rides with me!

TheDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #2
kkim

Welcome Ducky!!

Glad you decided to sign up.

I appreciate having you over here to contribute in your own "special" way, things technical and of life. I like the way you always seem to be thinking outside the box for solutions to common problems. CR500 engine in a sport bike is one... . I assume it will be a track monster... or are there ways to street legalize a 2 stroke engine?

Looking forward to your contributions in the future.

mahalo
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2008, 04:24 PM   #3
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, '06 Chopper, '80 Puch Magnum II, '01 SV650, '99 CR250/CR500AF Sportbike. '02 CRF450/CR500AF Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
Welcome Ducky!!

Glad you decided to sign up.

I appreciate having you over here to contribute in your own "special" way, things technical and of life. I like the way you always seem to be thinking outside the box for solutions to common problems. CR500 engine in a sport bike is one... . I assume it will be a track monster... or are there ways to street legalize a 2 stroke engine?

Looking forward to your contributions in the future.

mahalo
Hi, and thanks for the invitation over here!

The SV650 bike is already street-legalized. There are no emissions or inspections of any type here in FL! I already have a plate and everything for this machine, and as soon as it fires up, I can roll it out of my driveway legally!

I've had a few problems along the way, and a few things just worked themselves out.

The good:

The CR500 ignition coil mounts in the same place as one of SV650 coils, the plug wire was too short on the CR500 coil, so I used the SV650 one. Awesome!

The SV650 clutch cable fits into the CR500 motor. Off the shelf parts! Woohoo!

The CR500 motor weighs HALF the weight of the SV650 engine, and makes the SAME horsepower. Also the CR500 engine has an instant-on power curve giving it that WILD superpower feel as opposed to the more linear V-twin SV650.

The bad:

Expansion chambers, UGH! Big fat exhaust is a pain in the ass to fit to this frame. The CR500 exhaust will need major cutting and rewelding to make it fit.

I also can't find anything but dirt bike silencers for this thing. I am trying to find something more GP-looking, like one of these guys below. I traded emails with the guy that sells them, but he doesn't manfacture anything with a 1.25inch (34mm) diameter core... these guys are too small, BUT SEXY! I may just consider 2 of them on a "Y" pipe just because:

The CR500 engine wasn't designed to power lights or assesories, going to have to get an aftermarket lighting coil that will work for this application.

The CR500 kickstarter will not clear the frame. I haven't worked this issue out yet. I believe I will get another kickstarter shaft and weld it to the end of the one on the engine. I will then create a bracket to support it so the shaft doesnt gouge itself out of the engine and crack the cases.

Other things:

The CR500 uses a 520 chain, the SV650 uses a 525. I can find a 520 wheel sprocket that fits the SV650 wheel, the CR500 chain will probably work just fine.

I am cutting the bottom off of a CR500 frame to create the cradle to mount the CR500 engine in. I plan to use the same mounting points and hardware that the SV650 engine used. The frame will be reinforced at these points to keep it as rigid as it was when the engine used to be there.

I've also done further weight savings to this bike, cutting off all sorts of parts and brackets that are just fluff and not needed for this application.

The bike, when finished, I think I should have about 60-70HP and tip the scales at about 280-290lbs. WEEEEEEEE!

Old November 20th, 2008, 05:44 PM   #4
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

WOW! A riding duck! I have heard of Ducs but not Duck! Holly...riding ducks! My gosh! She really rides with you? Not nervious or anything....

Cool beans though! I totally would love a pet that would do that... I want to get a Pomerainaian... Though chances are slim he/she would wanna ride... either way..

Old November 20th, 2008, 06:02 PM   #5
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
WOW! A riding duck! I have heard of Ducs but not Duck! Holly...riding ducks! My gosh! She really rides with you? Not nervious or anything....

Cool beans though! I totally would love a pet that would do that... I want to get a Pomerainaian... Though chances are slim he/she would wanna ride... either way..

MMMyep! She was scared only the first time when we took the first turn. After that she just sits patiently in a magnetic box on the tank.

I recently put a towel over the box to sheild her from the wind if she wants to squat down under it. Its been a little cold so she spends more time under the towel than sticking her head out of the box.

She seems to enjoy it though, and talks a lot whe nshe sees something she likes, like open grassy fields, sprinklers or bodies of water.

Pomeranians are usually up for just about anything. Those things are freaks, but they make good pipe cleaners if you put a stick up their butt.

Old November 20th, 2008, 07:21 PM   #6
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDuck View Post
After that she just sits patiently in a magnetic box on the tank.
okay, you gotta post some pics of the duck in the box while you are riding. I call BS until you do.

Quote:
Those things are freaks, but they make good pipe cleaners if you put a stick up their butt.
ummmm... and you know this, how???
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 20th, 2008, 07:32 PM   #7
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
okay, you gotta post some pics of the duck in the box while you are riding. I call BS until you do.

ummmm... and you know this, how???

The Duck in the box I would want to see too... Not so sure I want to know how he knows about poms and pipecleaners

Old November 20th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #8
TheDuck
Da Duckman

How poms got plugged like pipecleaners,
Of boxes with ducks in.
And how my tank stopped squealing not,
Because duck **** got in.

Old November 20th, 2008, 08:46 PM   #9
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Quote:
How poms got plugged like pipecleaners,
Of boxes with ducks in.
And how my tank stopped squealing not,
Because duck **** got in.
A man who rides with a duck is a poet and didn't know it.

Old November 21st, 2008, 02:03 PM   #10
TheDuck
Da Duckman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
Curves are the cherries on my Sunday rides!
Pop 'em!

Old November 21st, 2008, 04:54 PM   #11
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Quote:
Pop 'em!
har har