ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 3rd, 2013, 03:28 PM   #1
Achilles
Road Rash Master

Name: Mitch

Motorcycle(s): '09 SE Ninja 250r, '98 GSXR 750

Still Having Issues!

As some of you know I was having issues with my bike: hard to turn on even with choke, idling all over the place, taking forever to warm up, slow idle response and dieing with throttle. I took the carb out, saw that one of the diaphragms was damaged and the little spring on the idle adjust was missing, so I ended up just buying a new to me carb off ebay.

The guy I bought the carb from assured me that the bike it came from ran great and they had just taken the bike apart a week prior. I decided not to clean the 'new' carb since I was repeatedly told that it worked great. I put the new carb in Friday night, turned the bike on and everything seemed pretty good. It idled a little bit low without choke and stalled with too much gas, but I assumed that was due to the low idle.

Yesterday I thought it was time for a test drive before I put all the fairings back on. So I turned the bike on with choke and it started first try. I let it idle for a few minutes with choke and then took it off. Adjusted the idle speed a little. Put it into first and rolled down the hill, the minute I hit flat asphalt the bike stalled. Turned the bike back on, gave it some gas, slowly released clutch and instantly stalled again. Revved it up a little higher, released the clutch and moved about an inch and stalled yet again. I tried a few other times until I finally revved it up to 8000 rpms and released the clutch, It went flying forward about an inch and then stalled, causing me much pain in testicular area.

At this point I was just trying to get the bike back into the garage without calling a tow truck, so I turned the choke on all the way and put it into first. Lo and behold the bike didn't stall and actually rode like a little Ninja is supposed to. I did a couple laps around the block with full choke on and then tried without the choke and it stalled again.

So what the hell is wrong? Did the guy lie to me about the 'new' carb? Do I have too much seafoam in the gas tank? Is there something in my fuel that instantly clogs carb jets? Is there anything other than the carb that could cause these problems?

With sore nuts in hand I come to you asking for help
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
I tried a few other times until I finally revved it up to 8000 rpms and released the clutch, It went flying forward about an inch and then stalled, causing me much pain in testicular area.
You need more practice. My clutch is a little grabby when it's cold, but if you are "flying forward", you need a slower release.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 05:12 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Sounds like dirty carbs. Mostly a fueling issue. To see if your idle adjustment screws haven't been tampered with. 2.5 turns out is a good starting point for reference. Looks like you are doing some carb cleaning. If not just switch the good diaphragm to your original carb.

Old February 3rd, 2013, 06:02 PM   #4
Achilles
Road Rash Master

I can assure you it wasn't rider error.

Fueling issues would be clogged jets?

Why would the bike run just fine with the choke and stall without?

Old February 3rd, 2013, 07:46 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Fueling issues would be clogged jets?

Why would the bike run just fine with the choke and stall without?
Fueling issues could be anything that restricts the proper amount of fuel to reach the stream of incoming air.

That includes lack of ventilation of the gas tank, poor vacuum level reaching the petcock, clogged mesh filters of the petcock or in-line filter(s), sticky float valves, out of adjustment fuel level in the bowls, clogged internal passages of the carb (including jets).

The choke allows some fuel to by-pass those passages and jets, making the fuel-air mix correct for combustion for cold start-ups and for lean conditions as in your case.

The new carbs may be internally clean or not, or some other element of the fuel supply chain could be the bottle neck causing your problems.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 05:00 AM   #6
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

You say that you bought a carb .? Your bike has 2 as in carbs. Maybe the one you bought is fine, as the guy you got it from stated, and the other one has problems. The choke on your bike is actually not a choke, as in choking off air causing the engine to suck in more fuel from the float bowl. It's more of a second throttle bore in the carb drawing in it's own overly rich air fuel mixture for cold engine running. I think that you should look into why your primary air fuel mixture is off. Don't put Sea Foam in large quantities in you fuel thinking more is better, if anything it will thoroughly clean your gas tank and fuel lines and wash it down into your float goals. Not knowing the history of your bike or this problem, I think you need a good carb cleaning, at the same time, once you know the source of the failure, install a Dyno Jet kit it make them run so much better.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 06:48 AM   #7
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
.... The guy I bought the carb from assured me that the bike it came from ran great and they had just taken the bike apart a week prior. I decided not to clean the 'new' carb since I was repeatedly told that it worked great.
The carb may have worked great before he took it off the bike, but if he did not completely drain and dry the carb, there is a possibility that any residual gas left in it has dried and now clogged your jets. How long had the bike sat without running before the carb was finally taken off the bike? How much Seafoam did you use and how long did you wait for it to work? Right now I'm not a really big fan of Seafoam, however many swear by it, some not so much. On a rare ocassion it has caused a carb to become clogged.

You best bet is either manually clean the new carb or put your old one back in and just replace the damaged diaphragm and spring.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #8
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

one other issue, replacing on carb is going to require re- synchronizing it to the other.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Achilles
Road Rash Master

Sorry, I was just calling it a carb since it is one piece. I replaced both carburetors.

He said the carburetors were out of the bike for a week. I put about 1/2 a can in half a tank.

Old February 4th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
....He said the carburetors were out of the bike for a week. I put about 1/2 a can in half a tank.
So you put approx 8 oz. in approx. 2 gallons of gas? You really should have only put about 1 oz per gal.

You need to add some more gas. Have you physically looked at the carbs since putting in the Seafoam?

Note: Sea Foam Motor Treatment is blended oil, and WILL NOT run a gasoline, gas/oil mix or ethanol engine without introducing HYDROCARBONS (gasoline / ethanol) to the mixture at a minimum 50%. On the other hand, a diesel engine WILL run for a short time on 100% Sea Foam Motor Treatment.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2013, 12:06 AM   #11
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

sounds more like a vaccum leak. clean that your carbs are seated properly in the boots and you have all the hoses properly connected.
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2013, 10:26 AM   #12
Achilles
Road Rash Master

I thought I should update this. I shimmed the carb needles, sprayed carb cleaner in the jets, replaced the tiny fuel filter with an inline filter and changed the exhaust back to stock the bike is running fine now.