ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old May 9th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #1
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Ninja 250 custom gold

Post Some issues

Hi all,

Have got the bike together and tuned the idle mixture screws and its running great, revs up and back down better than ever! Except... It has been idling like crap.

It is unsteady and constantly floating around 1000-1500 rpm.

I sense a vacuum leak. The only thing that was a PITA to get back on the bike since the carb cleaning, was the boots from the air box.

Since its the first rebuild since i owned the bike, i have noticed a bunch of things that are unplugged:

1. Coolant reservoir upper hose (Does this stay unplugged?):

2. This little filter looking thing, goes nowhere... The end of that yellow cylinder is the hose end.

3. The input to the hose looks like this on the top of the tank. Where do i route this hose? It keeps getting in the way of the seat keeps it slightly elevated, really annoying.

4. And finally, this hose that i circled in red, looks like there was a little clamp on the end there to hold that to a nipple:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20130509-01039.jpg (92.8 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130509-01040.jpg (135.4 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130509-01041.jpg (105.6 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-20130509-01043.jpg (77.5 KB, 104 views)
The_big_dill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
First one goes all the way down as a drainage.

The rest, I cannot see what point the pics are referring to, since they are so close up.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 02:52 AM   #3
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
First one goes all the way down as a drainage.

The rest, I cannot see what point the pics are referring to, since they are so close up.
Thanks,

The 2nd and 3rd go from the top of the tank to a filter type of thing to the right side of the battery and then nowhere... (the manual says it should go to a canister)

Last one is bottom front of the airbox, next to the connection from airbox to the crankcase.

Old May 10th, 2013, 06:09 AM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_big_dill View Post
..........Last one is bottom front of the airbox, next to the connection from airbox to the crankcase.
The 2nd and 3rd should be just a vent for the tank (added for track or racing since the original tank vented through the cap) plus some carbon activated canister to avoid fuel vapors flow into the atmosphere.
Maybe the yellow thing is a non-return valve for preventing fuel spills when the bike falls on its side.
Just guessing here, not sure.

Sorry, no idea about the last one.
Where the other ends connects to?

You are welcome

PM sent.

Old May 10th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #5
quicklooker
ninjette.org member

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R '07

4th one looks like the airbox drain hose. It usually has a little plug on the end of it so it doesnt just freely leak despite the fact it hangs down with some other hoses.

You're supposed to unplug it every so often to let some liquid come out of it (usually oil or air filter oil) but I am not sure if it'd hurt to just leave it unplugged and hanging...
quicklooker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM   #6
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Looked up the hose coming out of the tank in the manual and it is suppose to go to a canister and recirculate the fuel. Unfortunately, the bike did not come with a canister and am left with an open hose...

However this does not explain the unsteady idle. The bike starts quick and runs well, besides the idle.

I have already tuned the idle mixture screws and the bike revs up and settles well.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #7
soggybottom
Aimless

Name: rory

Motorcycle(s): 01 ninja 250

If your carbs are clean like you say, then I would guess carbs out of sync. When was this checked last? Out of sync carbs result in a screwy idle.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 11th, 2013, 09:09 AM   #8
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggybottom View Post
If your carbs are clean like you say, then I would guess carbs out of sync. When was this checked last? Out of sync carbs result in a screwy idle.
Thats a good point, i did adjust the butterfly valve openings by eye, but i do need to do this checking vacuum to get a better reading.

Old May 11th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #9
infinitewhiskey
meh

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2002 EX250F Cafe/Streetfighter Project

I see no ones suggested this yet, but have you tried this? I had kind of the same problem after my rejetting and tweaking that adjuster made everything alright. Also, have you checked valve clearances?

instagram | youtube | modifications
infinitewhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #10
soggybottom
Aimless

Name: rory

Motorcycle(s): 01 ninja 250

Quote:
Thats a good point, i did adjust the butterfly valve openings by eye, but i do need to do this checking vacuum to get a better reading.
I have tested carbs I've set by eye, and they have usually been pretty off. Maybe I just have crumby eyes, but I always feel better properly syncing them.

Old May 12th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #11
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soggybottom View Post
I have tested carbs I've set by eye, and they have usually been pretty off. Maybe I just have crumby eyes, but I always feel better properly syncing them.
Thanks for your experience, i will need to make a contraption that will test this for me.

Old May 12th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Thanks for your experience, i will need to make a contraption that will test this for me.
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do_...carburetors%3F

Old May 21st, 2013, 04:59 AM   #13
baxtc1
ninjette.org member

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): '92 GPX 250 (Gone and replaced with '08 V-Strom), 2005 Suzuki C50.

The air box drain being unplugged would be as good as a vacuum leak, you will also be getting unfiltered air into your engine.
baxtc1 is offline   Reply With Quote