Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Trip planning - North East to North West

Ok, so it's about time for me to get the ball rolling on planning my nice little road trip down to law school. I'll be leaving from Toronto with my ninja (yes, a little out there ) and crossing over into Portland. I don't know much about the northern states/cities, though, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

I plan to take my time over 7-10 days, staying in hostels and couchsurfing. But I want to hit up some nice roads, scenery, and tourist attractions along the way. Right now the only thing I have en route is Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado and Great Salt Lake in Utah. Is there anything in the northern states that's worth detouring/stopping for? Or is it kind of like the middle of Canada... boring with a whole lot of wheat and cows

Anyways, here's the temp route. Suggestions?
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,39.550781&z=5
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemy View Post
Suggestions?
Take lots of pics. Looks like a tremendous trip, and I'm jealous.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2009, 09:16 PM   #3
sometimesido
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2006 250R

good luck and keep us updated.

Old April 17th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Thanks and I'll definitely be buying a camera for the trip - an olympus shock/waterproof lol, just in case.

O and anyone wanna join me?!

Old April 17th, 2009, 11:22 AM   #5
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
If you want to head north by one interstate there are some great spots in South Dakota ( although you can't beat the pig farms in Iowa and Knoxville, with the The Knoxville Raceway, home of the Sprint Car National Championships).

South Dakota;
Corn Palace in Mitchell
Sturgis in Sturgis
Mount Rushmore
Black Hills
Crazy Horse Memorial
Badlands
Devil's Tower

Nebraska has the "outlaw trail" along RT12.

Wyoming has the Hole in the Wall where Butch and Sundance hungout. You have to go through Yellowstone if you're anywhere near it (which you will be). Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons.

Utah has the Bonneville Salt Flats, the Great Salt Lake, Cedar Breaks, Zion and Bryce National Parks.

Colorado had the Pikes Peak Hill Climb in Pikes Peak.

There is too much to list and way to much to see. When are you leaving and are you fixed on the route you have listed?

Last time I went coss country I bought a nationwide parks ticket good for all the national parks in the US.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; April 17th, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

No I'm not set on the route, I just went with the fastest route from gmaps and altered it. Totally forgot about yellowstone, though, so I might end up taking the I90 instead of the I80 and pass out on Colorado this time around. Do you know if there's any significant difference traffic/congestion wise? Thanks for the tips though and if I end up going I90 I'll have to check out South Dakota and Rushmore again, last time I was there I as a wee little kid.

And I plan on leaving end of July or early August. Should still have good weather and some nice color change in the scenery too

Old April 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM   #7
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
As far as traffic and congestion, the Sturgis rally is in the beginning of August. There will be thousands of bikes in that area.

I would go to the state websites for all the states you want to visit. Then I would go to the best motorcycle roads websites and map the journey that way. Then I would get any and all of the girls on the 250 sites to put you up for as many nights as you need.

You will be traveling through a mostly wide open area so traffic should not be a problem. Weather might be a different story. You will have to check the weather websites to pick the best time to leave.

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; April 19th, 2009 at 09:09 AM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 18th, 2009, 11:29 PM   #8
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Then I would get any and all of the girls on the 250 sites to put you up for as many night as you need.
Probably the single greatest piece of advice lol!

headsup on the sturgis rally was great too! It'll be right around the time I'll be passing through Anyone else plan on going?

And from the looks of it - posts here and at advriders - general consensus seems that I90 would be better and more scenic.

So here's a revised route. (mainly Sturgis, Mount Rushmore, Devils Tower, and Yellowstone). I'll have to skip salt lake and colorado in order to keep this around 7-10 days .

Thanks again, this is exactly what I needed - some ideas to stimulate planning:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,39.550781&z=5

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:48 AM   #9
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Name: Katlyn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

AVOID NEBRASKA... that's all I have to say.

Unless you want to take a nap for 400+ miles. Zzz.........

Old April 19th, 2009, 09:08 AM   #10
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Travel Channel has a show about Black Hills and Rushmore (noon on Sunday 19th). They usually run these shows often so look it up if you want.

Old April 19th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #11
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Can Am Spyder PE #1344 / 2009 Kawi KLX140L Monster Energy / 2009 Kawi Ninja 250R (RIP 8.23.09)

Yeah, skip Nebraska and do South Dakota instead.

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #12
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Definetly keep us posted along your route. I'm sure it will make for some good pictures & reading.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 12:33 PM   #13
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

+ another for avoiding Nebraska! zzzZZZzzz when we were going across it in the move. I can't imiagine in a year it has improved

If your interested.. There is a White Castle (if your a fan of Harold and Kumar you will understand... Or like stoner food [no offense but it is]) Then there is one in Joliet, Illinois (just outside of Chicago..) Which according to your current route is one your passing through...

The only reason I know that is there is because Phil HAD to stop at a White Castle

Old April 19th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post
The only reason I know that is there is because Phil HAD to stop at a White Castle
as do I!!! lol got some friends up here that have tried it and can atest to its cravable taste.

And the new route will probably stay something like that... I can't afford (both time and wallet-wise) to go off on so many mini adventures

and lol to the picture of nebraska!

Old April 19th, 2009, 03:26 PM   #15
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Tim, I crossed the US on a 1956 NSU Special Max--a four speed heavy, typically overbuilt German bike with 16Hp. When I did it in 1966, I took I-90. I liked the varied scenery--also LOVED Glacier National Park. When you get into Idaho, jog south through Bonners Ferry, Sandpoint, and Coeur`dAlene. Then head West and cross the Cascades at Snoqualme Pass and drop down into Seattle, Washington. You can then pick up Coastal Rte 1 (very scenic) which will take you into Portland, Oregon. Back then, it was definitely a route doable on a 250.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2009, 05:23 PM   #16
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

hehe ya I definitely won't be the first or last to cross on something less than a 600. It's part of the fun! And I realllly wanted to do the coastal highway but it would add almost another day of riding for me, plus once I move into Portland I'll have access to it 1 hour away! I just need to find me a bike rack to hitch up a surfboard to lol

Old April 20th, 2009, 10:23 AM   #17
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Tim, here are a few sites to help you plan your road trip.

http://www.byways.org/
http://www.bestbikingroads.com.
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/
http://www.places2ride.com/
http://www.grouprider.com/home.php

There are some spectacular roads so make the best of them and stay off the Interstate whenever possible.

Old July 21st, 2009, 07:09 PM   #18
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

And it's on! A week from today! Started packing and planning and got a major overhaul of the bike in the next coupla days (chain, oil, tightening, lubing, charging the battery etc etc)

Any last suggestions of must-see's or avoid-at-all-costs? I haven't been able to factor in everything suggested here but I got most of the stuff that are a must for me, personally.

Here's the route again - think mostly the same as the last one I posted.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&sourc...,79.013672&z=4

picture updates or blog to follow...

Old July 21st, 2009, 07:52 PM   #19
M-Oorb
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250r (Fastest Color)

Tim...a little off topic kinda with the thread...but I'm a senior in college studying for the LSAT's(actually right now). Keep me informed on how law school is...starting my search where imma apply to in a couple weeks. Good luck on the trip. Hope you have some nice weather and stay dry. Dont forget to take breaks and stretch those muscles out. Oh yea...HAVE FUN!
M-Oorb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM   #20
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

WOW!!!! What a trip!! Best of luck to you. Have a safe trip! We are doing a 5500 mile loop from California to Indiana to Tennessee then back to California starting September 10th... but we're doing it on the Spyder.

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:11 PM   #21
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
+ another for avoiding Nebraska! zzzZZZzzz when we were going across it in the move. I can't imiagine in a year it has improved

If your interested.. There is a White Castle (if your a fan of Harold and Kumar you will understand... Or like stoner food [no offense but it is]) Then there is one in Joliet, Illinois (just outside of Chicago..) Which according to your current route is one your passing through...

+1 for White Castle... I miss White Castle

Old July 21st, 2009, 10:47 PM   #22
Cedilla
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 (sold)

Ive never had White Castle, but I would imagine it would be similar to Krystal's.
Good luck with the trip, wear earplugs so your not deaf when you reach Portland, try to take the curviest roads you can to make the trip easier.
Cedilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:27 PM   #23
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Oorb View Post
Tim...a little off topic kinda with the thread...but I'm a senior in college studying for the LSAT's(actually right now). Keep me informed on how law school is...starting my search where imma apply to in a couple weeks. Good luck on the trip. Hope you have some nice weather and stay dry. Dont forget to take breaks and stretch those muscles out. Oh yea...HAVE FUN!
sure man. The only thing I can suggest now is to STUDY! I took the LSATs twice cause the first time I thought 2-3 months of studying and occasional practice tests was enough... get ahold of every single one you can and do them all! Once a day if you can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyderGirl View Post
+1 for White Castle... I miss White Castle
ah a spyder trip sounds like fun. Have you pimped it out with any touring gear? And I'm definitely wearing earplugs... and searching for the nearest white castle!

What makes me sad is that Taco Bell in the States apparently doesn't have Fries Supreme?!?!

Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:46 AM   #24
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

What are fries supreme? We have nacho supreme (chips with all the fixins ontop)

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:36 AM   #25
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
What are fries supreme? We have nacho supreme (chips with all the fixins ontop)
You need to try em to understand! My all-time favorite fries... and I'm not alone. Taco Bell makes the best fries up here. Combine them with all their toppings (sour cream, beef, green onions, nacho cheese, tomatoes) and it is mouth watering (and not soggy)! Every time my cousin comes up from NY it's the first thing he gets

Old July 22nd, 2009, 08:46 AM   #26
SpyderGirl
3 for street, 2 for dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedilla View Post
Ive never had White Castle, but I would imagine it would be similar to Krystal's.
Good luck with the trip, wear earplugs so your not deaf when you reach Portland, try to take the curviest roads you can to make the trip easier.
It's the same as Krystals except no mustard on the sandwiches... just onions and pickles. That's what I heard.