ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old October 15th, 2015, 10:40 AM   #1
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Why I want a ds or sumo

Link to original page on YouTube.

go wherever you want, whenever you want

true freedom

Old October 15th, 2015, 10:49 AM   #2
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

annnnnnddddd now SM's are outlawed....

http://www.sportbikes4hire.com
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2015, 10:52 AM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
:'( they better not start outlawing bikes

Old October 15th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
seems kinda dumb... no? Guy is clearly somewhat local, (you don't do crazy long trips on a sumo) does seemingly pointless dumb **** right in front of cops, mind you not even cool dumb ****. They probably already know where the ass hat lives, just waiting for the right time to go serve him up some justice.

in short, don't **** where you eat.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 15th, 2015, 11:40 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
a: dumb
b: could do the same **** on a sport bike
c: dumb
d: they suck at everything instead of being good at specific things

Old October 15th, 2015, 11:48 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
a: dumb
b: could do the same **** on a sport bike
c: dumb
d: they suck at everything instead of being good at specific things
this is my biggest grip with sumo's that I can't get past when I consider making one or buying one.

for me it's going to feel like a heavy loose pig on anything off road and I can't imagine having much fun on one in anything 2 track and or tighter, would probably want to stick to log/fire roads for the most part and that is kind of boring

I've said it before, if I lived uber rural, IDK? Montana? something like that where I would be on dirt roads a lot and taking the trail over the mountain can save me 20 minutes into town vs sticking to the road around and through the valleys then count me in.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old October 15th, 2015, 11:51 AM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
clarification: the cop thing is dumb

what I'm focusing on is the ability to go offroad at will without any issues

my next bike is probably going to be a 4-stroke 125 for dirt fun or a track 600 so I don't see a sumo anywhere in my near future

and they are fantastic for one thing, wheelies

Old October 15th, 2015, 12:08 PM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
clarification: the cop thing is dumb

what I'm focusing on is the ability to go offroad at will without any issues

my next bike is probably going to be a 4-stroke 125 for dirt fun or a track 600 so I don't see a sumo anywhere in my near future

and they are fantastic for one thing, wheelies
125 4t bikes are kids bikes (fun for an adult, hell yes, but you will not be the limiting factor, the bike will be)

If you want small fun, I suggest crf150expert, small but quality parts, no cheap suspension, ect... the engine is made to run.

But I really suggest going to a 250 4t, they are super easy to ride, but you have full capability on one. You will be the limiting factor.

If there is not a lot of technical off road riding you plan on doing, 125 2t all the way one of the most fun bikes you can ever ride.... in the right conditions cheap to buy, cheap to maintain tons of fun!!

Old October 15th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #9
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Dude i normally don't encourage things of that nature, but that was AWESOME, now i need a sumo, like, really, bad. Not for illegal things specifically, but for the thrill of em, and maybe dirty stuff on the side

Old October 15th, 2015, 01:44 PM   #10
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
KLR250's are old, reliable, inexpensive, torquey right off idle, comfortable (if you're tall), and weigh a lot less than the ninjette.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2015, 02:07 PM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'm eyeing the Honda CFR250L. Motor based off the CBR250, so big bore jugs and head work are available for more power. Plus, you can get sumo wheels from Warp 9 for a decent price. You get a dual sport AND a sumo for about what you can buy a single Yamaha WR250R/X. The CRF isn't the best dual sport for any aspect of dual sport usage according to the reviews, but I'm new to dual sporting and sumo-ing anyway, so I'd like to get the most beginner friendly one on the market, which it appears to be.

But none of this will happen until I know where I end up after college and know my job situation, etc. Sumo will be zero fun if I live in farmland, but dual sport will be no use if I live in a big city that doesn't have hills and parks near. Soooooo... bikes are on hold a bit. I can't make up my darn mind on bikes anyway. I want every one of them. There's a flavor of the week, I swear!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2015, 02:53 PM   #12
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
First off, dude in that vid is an

2nd, Anyone that says a sumo is lame hasn't owned one or is full of it. "They suck at everything" Not even close! "Could do the same on a sportbike" Let's see you ride your sportbike up a set of stairs.

"Heavy loose pig offroad" "Only limited to log/fire roads" My 450 weighs 275lbs, heavier than an mx bike but not by a lot. Get a 250 if you're concerned about weight. And you'd be surprised how far you can go off road on street tires, especially if it hasn't rained in a few weeks.

3rd Dual sport or sumo doesn't really matter. Just get a second set of wheels and tires, street for the ds or dirt for the sumo.

an old vid of mine on the klx, Don't really have anything on the new bike, camera is broken and I try to not record myself doing illegal stuff anymore.

ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2015, 03:55 PM   #13
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sumo is lame. the ducati sumo is fun, but i dont think i would own one.

you can ride a sport bike off road just fine. i've done it more times than i can count. even jumped them a few times (both intentionally and not). is it made for offroad? not with that suspension. is a sumo made for road? not with that suspension.

small CC bikes are fun when they corner well and can change direction in a snap. the suspension on 90% of sumos is not what you want for that. so the only sumo that makes sense to me is medium CC sumos, like the ducati tard. which is a hell of a hooligan bike. but then they start getting heavy.

if you want a dirt bike, get a dirt bike. they're awesome on dirt. and you can ride them on street just fine.

if you want a street bike, get a street bike. they're awesome on the street. and you can ride them just fine on dirt.

getting a real dual sport like a drz400 means buying a bike that can't do anything well. street wheels on something like a wr450 is pretty nuts. lots of fun. but at that point you might as well have a street bike after you swap on street wheels and damp up the suspension so much. except the tank is only like 2 gallons, and it really isn't comfortable or made for cornering.

is it fun to dick around on? absolutely. but what bike isn't? is it as practical and all around useful in every case like everyone wants to believe? hell no.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 15th, 2015, 04:01 PM   #14
Dsheumaker
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 14 Ninja 300 (Track Only), 07 CRF150RB

I know i cant keep up with the sumo guys on the dragon... i would love to own one!
Dsheumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 15th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #15
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
First off, dude in that vid is an

2nd, Anyone that says a sumo is lame hasn't owned one or is full of it. "They suck at everything" Not even close! "Could do the same on a sportbike" Let's see you ride your sportbike up a set of stairs.

"Heavy loose pig offroad" "Only limited to log/fire roads" My 450 weighs 275lbs, heavier than an mx bike but not by a lot. Get a 250 if you're concerned about weight. And you'd be surprised how far you can go off road on street tires, especially if it hasn't rained in a few weeks.

3rd Dual sport or sumo doesn't really matter. Just get a second set of wheels and tires, street for the ds or dirt for the sumo.

an old vid of mine on the klx, Don't really have anything on the new bike, camera is broken and I try to not record myself doing illegal stuff anymore.

bring your 450 by anytime, ill pay your fuel both ways if you can last 2hrs with me off road P.S. no guarantee on the no rain

Old October 15th, 2015, 04:25 PM   #16
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
so the only sumo that makes sense to me is medium CC sumos, like the ducati tard. which is a hell of a hooligan bike. but then they start getting heavy.

Ducati sumo isn't a real sumo. It's a streetbike that's trying to be a sumo. Too heavy and too expensive if you crash it

if you want a dirt bike, get a dirt bike. they're awesome on dirt. and you can ride them on street just fine.

This is true, but why not just get some street wheels for it too

if you want a street bike, get a street bike. they're awesome on the street. and you can ride them just fine on dirt.

This is true too, but I guarantee that you can't take a street bike as far off road. The suspension and ground clearance just isn't there

street wheels on something like a wr450 is pretty nuts.

Well call me nuts then.

is it fun to dick around on? absolutely. but what bike isn't? is it as practical and all around useful in every case like everyone wants to believe? hell no.

Is a sportbike practical and useful in every case? Nope, but plenty of people ride them everyday anyway.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 15th, 2015, 04:27 PM   #17
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
bring your 450 by anytime, ill pay your fuel both ways if you can last 2hrs with me off road P.S. no guarantee on the no rain
That was a couple of years ago, I'm a much better, more confident and aggressive rider off road now. I will admit that the 450 is too much bike in the really tight technical stuff though.

Old October 15th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #18
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
ill stick to more open 2 track, no single, the first 4 times you dont make a hill and have to turn that pig around/pull it out of a rut to try again will have spent.

Old October 15th, 2015, 04:48 PM   #19
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
ill stick to more open 2 track, no single, the first 4 times you dont make a hill and have to turn that pig around/pull it out of a rut to try again will have spent.
What does my skill as a rider have to do with anything? Plenty of guys out there killing it with bikes like these, doing stuff I would never imagine. I've done dual sport/singletrack rides with it. Bottom line is if I couldn't make it up a hill or whatever on this bike I doubt I could do it on a 250 or 125 2t either.

The extra weight really only matters when you have to pick the bike up. Do that a few times and you're exhausted.

I've also done a 100+ miles of twisties on this bike and was laughing my ass off the entire time. Ever do that on your dirt bike???

Old October 15th, 2015, 05:00 PM   #20
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
didnt say anything about skill?

Just that not making hills with that bike is going to be way more work vs a lighter purposefully built bike, and the fact that you will not make as many hills because of the tires will only compound that disadvantage

The tires will be worthless in any kind of mud, and sooner or later there will be some creek/river crossings, bound to find some mud somewhere whether you are looking for it or not.

My bike weighs probably around 220 wet as it is equipped, when i take on 20lbs of mud i can feel it everywhere especially if i have to pick the bike up or drag it out of a rut. can't imagine taking on 50lbs of mud to get it to 275lbs your claimed weight.... that is a heavy bike.

So back to what i originally said a few posts ago and i quote and stand by

"for me it's going to feel like a heavy loose pig on anything off road and I can't imagine having much fun on one in anything 2 track and or tighter, would probably want to stick to log/fire roads for the most part and that is kind of boring"

Old October 15th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #21
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
didnt say anything about skill?

Just that not making hills with that bike is going to be way more work vs a lighter purposefully built bike, and the fact that you will not make as many hills because of the tires will only compound that disadvantage

The tires will be worthless in any kind of mud, and sooner or later there will be some creek/river crossings, bound to find some mud somewhere whether you are looking for it or not.

My bike weighs probably around 220 wet as it is equipped, when i take on 20lbs of mud i can feel it everywhere especially if i have to pick the bike up or drag it out of a rut. can't imagine taking on 50lbs of mud to get it to 275lbs your claimed weight.... that is a heavy bike.

So back to what i originally said a few posts ago and i quote and stand by

"for me it's going to feel like a heavy loose pig on anything off road and I can't imagine having much fun on one in anything 2 track and or tighter, would probably want to stick to log/fire roads for the most part and that is kind of boring"
Street tires wouldn't be a problem

My bike is a 450 of course it weighs more than your bike, but compared to an mx 450 it isn't a great amount

If you write off sm's or dual sports and never ride one because the specs don't meet your criteria then you're missing out. I guess it's kinda like a Harley in that way. On paper they don't look like much, you just have to ride one to understand.

If weight is a problem then plate a 300 2t. Perfect combo of power and light weight.

Old October 15th, 2015, 05:28 PM   #22
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Okay guys... put the rulers away. No one wants to see this c*** measuring contest continue...

Old October 15th, 2015, 05:50 PM   #23
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
not measuring anything... well besides bike weight

extra set of wheels is nice when you want to do primarily off road or on road but a second bike seems even better since you can't exactly carry a second set of wheels with you and switch them when you decide to go on and or off road.

JMO

Old October 15th, 2015, 09:13 PM   #24
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I love my little 250 SM. The spec sheet on it is FAR from impressive but riding it is hella fun!
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2015, 03:54 AM   #25
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Okay guys... put the rulers away. No one wants to see this c*** measuring contest continue...
You are witnessing history repeating: the birth of Supermoto!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 16th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #26
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
I've also done a 100+ miles of twisties on this bike and was laughing my ass off the entire time.
^ this: this is why we ride and this is why the SM (and every other type of bike) exists... because for the right person in the right setting it puts a big goofy smile on ur face.

seriously though... ninja 250 iz best

Old October 16th, 2015, 03:53 PM   #27
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Nah bro, GIXXER 4 LIFE.

Old October 16th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #28
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Nah bro, GIXXER 4 LIFE.
Busa fo LIfeE

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2015, 06:11 AM   #29
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

OP's video is exactly the reason why other motorists on public roads hate motorcyclists in general, why police have it out for motorcyclists in general. Behavior as such should not be promoted, anywhere.

I have had my share of motard fun, my first one was a 01 WR250F enduro converted to street legal supermotard, kickstart only, not geared properly for speed on public roads, had to rev the engine high just to keep up with traffic flow. It was a great trail bike though, had done a few enduro.. always a reliable bike. Somehow, I can't seem to find pics of it after the sumo conversion.. but sure had fun with it as a dirt bike:

[img]

Next was the XR650R converted to USD forks, 17" wheels, street legal sumo, kickstart only, still.. but much more grunt for street use, easily the quickest to get up to 80 mph from a stop.

Also took it on the track:

Had planned to convert it to a supermono, but someone had offered me a very good price so I sold it.

Next was a WR450F converted to street legal sumo, it was fast, was faster than the WR250F. I enjoyed it, but the dirt manner was not suited for the tight woods/rock garden that I have in my area, so I sold it.

Currently, I ride a KLX300, street legal, kickstart only for dual sport.
Light enough for serious trail use, fast enough to keep up with traffic.
More dirt oriented than street since the trailhead is only 1/2 mi. from my driveway.

"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2015, 07:22 AM   #30
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I really dig the idea of the new 250L from Honda with Sumo 17s and stockers for dirt use. Mostly because of the civility and reliability vs a MX convert. But they are too expensive on the used market at the moment and pretty wife says no more bikes lol.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote