ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old July 7th, 2016, 07:47 PM   #1
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
So I got a GoPro...

and this thread is the result of that
currently have 3 weekends of footage, and of those I have done 2 edits from (2nd is uploading now) Next edit should be a video or two from the Mid-O trip.

Any advice for video editing, or riding, is greatly appreciated!

Starting with the NCBike June Round with TPM

Link to original page on YouTube.

Some footage from NJMP (only got a few sessions so this one was a lot simpler, next to no editing done here)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old July 7th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #2
EternalNewb
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Where do you have the camera mounted?
It looked like there were some cuts that I found a little disorienting, like when you were chasing a bike, and then teh bike just wasn't there anymore and someone was waving a white flag.
Also, it looked like you got so close to passing that guy at the end! So clossssssse!!
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2016, 08:04 PM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Camera is mounted on the front fairing just to the left of the windscreen

I tried to make the cuts as clean as possible, maybe adding one of the transition effects in the future could help. Gonna have to play with those. I couldn't include full sessions and make it into one video unfortunately, I started out with 2hrs of footage and got it down to 9min which is a bit of a win in itself hahaha

And Alyssa is fast, we didn't really battle much after she passed me she opened up a gap until the last lap I closed it all at once in the last lap (2.2s gap at the start of the final lap) I was battling some mental stuff all day and relearning how to trust the bike so I wasn't as quick as normal there. Last lap was still off my normal pace by about 3s

Old July 8th, 2016, 05:40 AM   #4
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Your line is different than everybody else in the decreasing turn after the buildings that look like houses. Any particular reason why? Just wondering. You're taking the shorter distance and the others are squaring part of the corner.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2016, 08:55 AM   #5
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
Your line is different than everybody else in the decreasing turn after the buildings that look like houses. Any particular reason why? Just wondering. You're taking the shorter distance and the others are squaring part of the corner.
Practicing a passing line, on the 300 at full speed it's fairly similar to go wide or to stay tight so long as you can manage to adjust to a similar enough speed at the apex. When you rush that corner it naturally drags you wide since few people are comfortable with getting most of their braking done on the side of the tire. T5 (left hander after the fast right) I tend to stay farther on the left at pace as well but I'm very bad at that corner since I don't trust the left side of the tire after not really putting any heat into it for half a lap

Old July 8th, 2016, 09:08 AM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Practicing a passing line, on the 300 at full speed it's fairly similar to go wide or to stay tight so long as you can manage to adjust to a similar enough speed at the apex. When you rush that corner it naturally drags you wide since few people are comfortable with getting most of their braking done on the side of the tire. T5 (left hander after the fast right) I tend to stay farther on the left at pace as well but I'm very bad at that corner since I don't trust the left side of the tire after not really putting any heat into it for half a lap
The tires on my vintage bike are 90/90-19 front and 100/90-18 rear. It has taken me two years to get used to the idea of trail braking, sometimes to the apex of a corner. Many people seriously don't understand how we go fast on those skinny tires.

I will say that the majority of issues with trail braking while leaned over are in your head. Trust your tires.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2016, 09:18 AM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I'd take it a step farther and say the majority of issues leaned over are in our heads as we try to interpret what the bike and tires are telling us

Old July 8th, 2016, 09:40 AM   #8
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I'd take it a step farther and say the majority of issues leaned over are in our heads as we try to interpret what the bike and tires are telling us
This is why I'm a firm believer in getting dirt/MX experience in addition to street. Sliding a bike around on dirt and things of that nature will teach you what it feels like, how to react and what inputs cause what to happen.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2016, 09:52 AM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Yup, I'm a believer in cross training as well. Though I haven't been able to in the past I may be able to ride a day of flat track right before my next CCS round. If I can figure out how to stay stable on the bike the skills should help my comfort immensely

Old July 14th, 2016, 07:50 PM   #10
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Video from the NRTR race at NJMP on monday. Dropped about 5s/lap from the "chasing alyssa" video by being smother and increasing my entry speeds a bit (I suck at T5, kicking myself over that)

Old July 15th, 2016, 10:02 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I replied to your pm.

Good luck sir!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2016, 09:28 AM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I replied to your pm.

Good luck sir!
Thank you for the advice, I didn't win (got a 4th, 5th, and 5th) but I did find a few seconds and I would have been on the podium had I not made any glaring errors in setup

I got 4th in the gt ultralight on saturday with the front sliding in both of the wide open corners (T4/T12) and started running out of gas at the end so I lost 2.5s/lap on the final 2 laps due to lack of drive out of T10 which was enough for me to not be able to catch 3rd in front of me (who's pace had fallen off at that point) Live and learn, thought I had half a tank going in but in the future I'll check

On sunday I made a bet (which I lost) with the pirelli vendor and got a new set of pirellis to replace my ancient dunlops. I also put a new quarter turn throttle tube on (after practice ) and didn't realize that I couldn't turn it with my gloves due to how slick the grip was (was fine on my palms, I'll be putting a much better grip on it for races in the future) Then there was only 15min between the two races for me to switch the throttle tube back. Unfortunately I couldn't re-adjust the throttle cable which was now loose so I ran the race with ~80% throttle at full throttle. Even with that handicap I kept 2nd-4th in sight the whole race (they ended up 2 corners ahead) I was only 1s/lap off their pace smh

as a sidenote, the pirellis are amazing. I ran the sc1 front and sc2 rear. Immediately I noticed that there were line choices available to me that simply didn't exist on the dunlop due to chatter/sliding. I also had my tire pressure guage checked for accuracy to learn it reads 1 psi low (pretty useful info right there) I'm still adjusting to the difference in feel but I think I can be fast on the pirellis in the future with proper practice time. Every lap (excluding lap one) during the last race I dropped .3s Learning the way the different tires behave at speed is teaching me a lot about riding technique as well

Old July 18th, 2016, 09:46 AM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
That sc1 front could drop a second off your lap time time if tire feel was holding you back. It did for me... but as I have let you know, I am needy of the front to be as stable as possible.

And 100% for sure, tires can be a game changer. Gratz on your finishes, you will catch em soon or later if you keep at it.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2016, 09:54 AM   #14
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I'm very needy for the front to be stable as well, but I've come to realize that it can flex a little and still be perfectly stable