ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 4th, 2010, 03:12 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

WHY??? Why does it take so long?

They had SB506 in the works since last year here in Texas.

I recently tried to find information on it. What I found what it passed. I decided to double check myself, and found that it stalled.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLoo...81R&Bill=SB506

So umm, what would I do to kick some of the political peeps butts to get the ball rolling again?

I wanna lane split when there is an accident or very bad traffic.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 02:24 AM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I came from GA and started doing it in CA when I needed to but I recently realized that many other long-time drivers here THINK it's illegal. No wonder so many people seemed to "resent" me when I did it!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 08:38 AM   #3
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Amazing how many people are uneducated. I would think that CA residents would know better than anyone. I guess I was wrong.

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Amazing how many people are uneducated. I would think that CA residents would know better than anyone. I guess I was wrong.
Yeah, I was talking to my lifetime-resident coworker here and when I mentioned that CA was still the only state where it was legal he exclaimed "What?! It IS legal?!" Suddenly, I remembered all the neighbors and people who have talked about those "crazy motorcyclists driving between cars" and realized that they weren't just saying that it was dangerous... they too really did think it was illegal.

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #5
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I thought it already passed here in Texas - I guess I won't be doing it any longer. I have noticed that cars in traffic do get angry when you pass them by - one car even attempted to block me off.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #6
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

They do that in CA too from what I have read/seen on the net.

Well, as far as I know, there is no law that states you cannot split, but there is no law stating that you can. It is somewhat "undefined" here in Texas.

I'll split if I need to. Like if I am stuck behind a tard going straight in the right lane. I'll split between a few cars and the shoulder so I can turn. If someone leaves a good gap between them and the car in front, I'll split and hop in the gap.

So you aren't the only one who does it.

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:24 PM   #7
sprale
Dead-thread Necromancer!

Name: Levon

Motorcycle(s): K5 V-Strom

It's been discussed on the TWTex forums in an ongoing manner. There's rarely a need to filter in Austin, so I've only done it a handful of times. It's usually when there's a wreck and it's 100° or hotter. It's been in Houses a few times here, but always dies. Maybe it will pass when more riders are considerate and more cagers are educated...
sprale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 5th, 2010, 01:11 PM   #8
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

i think people just assume its illegal because its a lil more dangerous -.-;
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 03:48 PM   #9
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridxx View Post
i think people just assume its illegal because its a lil more dangerous -.-;
That could be argued. I think it's kind of hard to define lane-splitting as "safer" or "more dangerous," since it depends on a lot of varying factors. How the traffic is, the speed you're doing it at, if your bike stands out and is highly visible and where you're doing it at(for instance, in a place like Ocala, Florida where people are more relaxed VS New York, road rage capitol).
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 6th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
They do that in CA too from what I have read/seen on the net.

Well, as far as I know, there is no law that states you cannot split, but there is no law stating that you can. It is somewhat "undefined" here in Texas.

I'll split if I need to. Like if I am stuck behind a tard going straight in the right lane. I'll split between a few cars and the shoulder so I can turn. If someone leaves a good gap between them and the car in front, I'll split and hop in the gap.

So you aren't the only one who does it.
In the USA, laws aren't supposed to specify what "is" legal and it's a sad state we are in to even consider it that way. Anything that is not explicitly illegal is supposed to be legal. It is not the government's job to regulate what is and is not legal, only what is illegal and, only by exception and exclusion, what is legal.