ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 4th, 2011, 03:05 PM   #1
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

War of the socks

So, who wears motorcycle brand socks? I've purchased 2 sets of crew socks to try out. I haven't gone so far as the race boot/calf length socks yet since I haven't gotten into doing track days.

So post your experiences with the brands you've used.

Just for comparison's sake:

Fruit of the loom vs. Hanes: I like the FOTL better. Softer cotton and the seams don't hurt inside a boot. Hanes has a tougher cotton that may wear slightly better, but that stupid seam...

Motorcycle Brands:

Klim Crew socks Vs. Answer Crew socks: Answer wins

Klim socks: They use a thinner fabric than other crew socks, including the Answer. It's pretty much like wearing dress socks. The bottom is a bit thicker than the top, supposedly to allow the top to wick moisture. This doesn't help if the shoe/boot you're wearing doesn't vent. It makes your feet wet and keeps them wet all day. Terrible sock and expensive at $12-$13/1 pair. No colors to choose from, just gray.

Answer socks: About as thick as FOTL socks, except it uses some synthetic fibers to keep the sock stretchy and maintaining a good grip around your leg so they don't slide down. They do an awesome job of drawing sweat away from your feet and keeping them dry. Great value since they come in a 2 pack for $12. They also come in a small variety of colors

Old May 4th, 2011, 04:47 PM   #2
lux
ninjette.org guru

Name: lux

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

I have some Sidi Tech Road and Alpinestars Road Racing Summer socks. Have some other Sidi and Alpinestars socks too, but I don't remember their names.

I like them well enough - they're comfortable, feel like they breathe, and haven't slid down. I wear full length boots, so I figured I'd get full length socks.
lux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM   #3
geeker
ninjette.org guru

Name: Richie

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda CRF300L Rally, 2015 Ninja ZX6R 636, 2014 Ninja 1000, 2013 Ninja 300 (sold), 2011 Ninja 250R (sold)

Check out running stores too. They have a pretty good selection of socks from no shows all the way up to boot length socks. When I bought my boots Lawton week, I realized I would need new socks to wear them. I don't even remember what I bought, but they were around $10 and are great at wicking moisture. They have the same feel as all of my running socks I have.

Don't know how many runners there are on this forum. It is a motorcycle forum after all.
geeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2011, 12:33 AM   #4
Sound Wave
Ramen Rider

Name: Gary

Motorcycle(s): 2015 BMW R1200R, 08 Honda VFR800A (sold), 09 Ninja 250R (sold)

note: i wear full length riding boots.

bought a couple pairs of alpinestars summer socks. they kind of dig into my calf area. the threads at the top are coming undone. i wouldn't recommend them.

i now have rev it tour summer socks. pricey but worth it imo. very supportive around the feet. stay up on the calves without being too tight. great socks. i would buy them again. i have been changing my gear over to rev it. great brand!

http://www.revzilla.com/product/revit-socks-tour-summer
Sound Wave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #5
Liber
ninjette.org sage

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

I have Sidi ST Air boots, so I need taller socks. I agree, Rev'it's summer socks work pretty well. I've run them in 85 degree weather and my feet remain fairly dry and cool. They're pretty expensive though. I only have 2 pair.
Liber is offline   Reply With Quote