ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old March 8th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #1
Cringer
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250

Helmet help

I'm hoping to get some help/guidance on purchasing a helmet. I want one that has built in bluetooth (not one that you add a device to make it so), and a drop down sun visor. I have found this in modulars, but, unless someone can convince me otherwise, I'm not convinced that they're as safe as a non-modular full face. In full face, I can find them with visors, or bluetooth, but not both...at least not without poor reviews.

Thanks in advance.

Old March 8th, 2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to gear area

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Cringer
ninjette.org member

sorry for posting in the wrong area

Old March 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM   #4
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Don't think you are going to find both in a helmet that will be a better option than an upmarket modular, like a Vemar Jiano, Nolan or similar. Guys rave about the sound quality in the Vemar. And the Schuberth bluetooth setup looks pretty awesome. It fits like wind skirt at the base of the helmet. Comfy looking, low wind noise and high quality.

Link to original page on YouTube.

If safety is a concern, why go with something with built in Bluetooth instead of going aftermarket adding to a normal helmet? Lots of great options out there that fit in a very safe Snell 2010 rated helmet. Cardo Scala, Autocom, etc.

If you go with full face built in bluetooth, I recommend avoiding the VCAN bluetooth helmet. I have some experience with the company from my time living in China, and I have serious doubts about quality. You'll probably be safer with a modular. The ONeal Bluetooth gets mixed reviews, including on this site.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #5
ceke
ninjette.org member

Name: United States

Motorcycle(s): EX250J

Keep in mind not many headsets, bluetooth or otherwise, can be heard well at speed if you're not behind a decent windscreen. If you're heads in the wind, look out for headsets with limited output. I use a blinc m2, it is useless without my windscreen as the sound level isn't high enough, and/or my helmets wind noise is too high.
ceke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:07 PM   #6
cmlilley
ninjette.org member

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I have the Schuberth but the next model down. After using it I would never doubt the safety capabilities of this helmet.
cmlilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #7
Cringer
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. I'm pretty much down to two... Vemar Jiano modular and Vega V-Tune full face. I wish I could convince myself that modulars are as safe as full face. Anyone have any knowledge on this?

Old March 9th, 2012, 01:40 PM   #8
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Well, this diagram on the main points of helmet impact in a crash shows the basic problem with modular/flip up helmets:

The main impact area is on the chin where your latch is. This article shows what can happen when the latch breaks. The same point is supported by a good WebBike World article noting that some modular helmets experience latch failure issues. Unfortunately neither DOT nor SNELL have a test that measures this potential failure.

That said, overall safety performance for modulars is generally quite good. It seems the important thing to do is focus on a helmet with a solid latching mechanism. Is is latch plastic or metal? What do reviews of the latch system say? There was a very good article in Motorcycle Consumer News from 2010 (which I can't find atm) with a very comprehensive comparison of modular helmets, including the latching system. Other reviews of safety have found good performance. And one modular helmet has actually passed Snell, the Zeus ZS-3000.

So I wouldn't write them off completely, just be thoughtful and do your research. Focus on the latch quality. (And keep the front latched down when you are riding. Probably the bigger safety problem is that people - against manufacturer recommendation and common sense - ride with their face exposed to asphalt.)

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Last futzed with by gfloyd2002; March 10th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 9th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #9
TheJimmyEnglish
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Red

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ealFastTrackII

Old March 9th, 2012, 02:18 PM   #10
TheJimmyEnglish
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Red

I would rock that Schuberth too if it weren't so expensive.

Old March 9th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #11
cmlilley
ninjette.org member

Name: Christian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

I lucked up with my Shubereth. My team lead at work only uses it and he buys a new one every few years so I got it for free.
cmlilley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #12
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlilley View Post
I lucked up with my Shubereth. My team lead at work only uses it and he buys a new one every few years so I got it for free.
Next upgrade, pay it forward and pass me one PLZKTHX.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 10th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #13
Cringer
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the input. If that Oneal had a drop down shade visor I would be all over that.

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:00 PM   #14
Whiskey
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Sharktooth

Shark have a few with drop down sun visors & have an internal space to fit their own bluetooth module.

Race R & Vision R are full face, have the drop down visor & can have the Sharktooth module fitted.

Fit is similar to Shoei
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote