ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 26th, 2012, 06:26 PM   #1
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Name: HB

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja250

I'm so glad I ride a 250

I always wanted to get the Ninja 650 as my first bike but found a great deal on the 250 and grabbed it. Oh boy, its one of the smartest decisions I've made so far.

I got my ninjette in Feb and have put on 1000 miles on it now (sadly I don't get much time to ride). Thankfully haven't crashed but had some close calls. And I believe I have become a better rider because with the 250 I can concentrate on the road, my technique, the lines I am taking through the twisties, hear the engine and bike noises to understand how the thing works, rather than devoting 100% of my attention to managing the power and torque of a bigger bike. My intention was to get the 250 to become a better and safe rider while having fun. The ninjette has not disappointed one bit and it manages to cruise at 75mph with no complains (which was a surprise to me)

Following are the instances which make me appreciate the ninjette:

1. Stupid cager: This was my second ride on the bike and I was happily cruising at 35 in a 30mph zone on a 2 lane road. There was light traffic and this old lady was driving on the white line dividing the two lanes, basically occupying 2 lanes. So I decided to pass her from the left as there was more room. As soon as I came close to her fender, she swerved into my lane and went back to occupying 2 lanes. I panicked, braked hard and with traffic behind me, I quickly accelerated and got out of harms way. With a bigger bike, I'm sure I would have made some mistake due to the panic situation. Anyhow, thinking that she wanted to turn left and did not head check, I tried to pass her again, this time on her right side and she did that again. I was so pissed. I pulled into a parking lot, circled it and went back out on the road to avoid grumpy granny.

2. Possible DUI? : So I was cruising on the freeway at about 2pm on a Wednesday night with no cars in sight. I was doing about 65mph and this car entered the freeway a little ahead of me. I was in the second lane and he was in the third. There was a 5 second distance between us. All of a sudden, this jackass decides to swerve into my lane and drop his speed. There was nothing on the road which could have made him swerve. Then he sped away. I braked hard to avoid him. This was not that bad but I think with a bigger bike, I could have done a stoppie or something.

3. Entering the freeway: The sun was in my eyes. I was entering a right handed sweeping ramp with a suggested speed of 45mph, doing probably 55-50mph. Got temporarily blinded. I ran wide, almost into the guard rail but remembered reading in this forum that in such a situation, the best thing to go is lean more and increase the throttle. I did excactly that and made it back on the road. I almost touched the guard rail and yea, it was scary since there were cars behind me.

4. No working brake lights & turn signals: I was riding behind this white trailer on a single lane backroad. I was going around 70 in a 65 zone (pretty much straight road with some driveways). All of a sudden I realized that I am freaking close to the trailer. I braked hard and managed to lock the rear tyre. To mt=y horror, the trailer had stopped and wanted to make a left turn into a driveway or byroad. And I also realized that I won't be able to stop and was going to hit the back of the trailer at about 45-50mph. As I got close to hitting it, I let go off the rear brakes (could have done a highside) revved up, counter-steered into the grass and back onto the road. Man, it was a hair raising experience. After coming back on the road, I saw that the trailer was hooked up to a blue SUV and the lights on the trailer were not working. I shouted at the SUV driver but he just made his turn and went off. There was another biker on a Honda Shadow a little distance behind me. She stopped and told me that I managed the situation quite well. She thought I would hit the trailer and break a bone or something. Again, I'd like to believe my choice of motorcycle saved me.

These are some of my experiences from the first 1000 miles. The little ninja has taught me a ton of things and I continue to be a good pupil. I know I probably sound like I'm such a wuss but hey, my skin and the bike have not seen the pavement. And I intend to try and keep it that way. I am officially a Ninja 250 fanboy.
hirubhaiambani is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #2
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I'm also glad you got the 250. Having owned the 650 (newgen model at least) I really could not recommend it to a beginner unless they simply did not fit on a smaller bike, even then I think a dual sport would be more applicable.

When do you 'think' you would be ready and comfortable moving to a larger bike? Not that you will ever need to, I'm just curious how many more years/miles you think it would take for you to become a proficient motorcyclist and be comfortable with the "upgrade."

For myself it was around 10,000 miles
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 06:43 PM   #3
rdrgoB
ninjette.org member

Name: Unspecified

Motorcycle(s): None

Nice job avoiding those accidents! I have roughly the same amount of miles in as you, but none of those experiences (knock on wood). Regardless, you're totally right about making the right choice with the 250. Another fun aspect is that you can go wild shifting more at lower speeds; that's the fun in driving manual no?
rdrgoB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
ninjaone
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): CBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirubhaiambani View Post
the best thing to go is lean more and increase the throttle
I'm glad you didn't crash but this is not the best technique for maximizing traction. Applying loads of throttle (especially while leaned) eats traction. Applying steering corrections mid turn eats traction. Doing both at the same time could cause you to take a bigger bite then you bargained for.

You want just enough throttle to gradually increase your speed (shifting weight to the rear to balance suspension) through the turn. If you have to make a steering correction so be it but don't pin the throttle at the same time.
ninjaone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #5
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaone View Post
I'm glad you didn't crash but this is not the best technique for maximizing traction. Applying loads of throttle (especially while leaned) eats traction. Applying steering corrections mid turn eats traction. Doing both at the same time could cause you to take a bigger bite then you bargained for.

You want just enough throttle to gradually increase your speed (shifting weight to the rear to balance suspension) through the turn. If you have to make a steering correction so be it but don't pin the throttle at the same time.
Duly noted Sir. Although it saved me once, I will keep your advice in mind. Thanks!

And since that incident, I got a smoked visor which keeps out the sun. Thankfully my helment is a HJC and changing visors is a breeze. I always carry the transparent visor in my backpack just in case.

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:24 PM   #6
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post

When do you 'think' you would be ready and comfortable moving to a larger bike? Not that you will ever need to, I'm just curious how many more years/miles you think it would take for you to become a proficient motorcyclist and be comfortable with the "upgrade."

For myself it was around 10,000 miles
I am not sure how long it would take me to be fully comfortable with a bigger bike. I am guessing about 5-6k miles or 3-4 years. My initial plan was to start on a 650 and get a 600SS in two years time. Now I am sure I don't want a super-sport. When I upgrade it would be the Ninja 650 or Yamaha FZ6 (Fazer) or if I have the money, a Ducati Monster 796.

On a side note, a friend of mine helped me buy my Ninja. He has over 10 years of riding experience and had a red Ducati 1098. That thing is a beast. He allowed me to sit on his bike to get a feel for it. Although its a super sexy bike, I feel it will be hard to ride on the streets - definitely not for me. Sadly, a cager T-boned him and totaled his bike. This was my friends first crash (in over 10 years) and he has a broken ankle. Had to get pins to stabilize his ankle. The cager was at fault and thankfully had enough insurance coverage to take care of my friends hospital costs, the bike, his expensive leather gear and all. Overall, he made a $5k profit out of the crash but whether he can ride motorcycles in the future is a different story. Atleast after the surgery, he can walk. Thankfully he had boots on (Sidi Vertigo's). If not, God knows what would have happened to his foot.

From my first day, first ride, I always have on ATGATT ,

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #7
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
He should've broken his femur, it pays much more than that
AFM #676

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #8
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

Quote:
He should've broken his femur, it pays much more than that
Are you sure that's correct? I would think aligning the shattered little bones, cartilage and other stuff in the ankle/foot area would be a more complicated surgery with more recovery time and hence more expensive.

The insurance paid the hospital directly, I believe. He made the money out of this totaled bike and what insurance paid him for the bike. He sold it to a mechanic who wanted to make it a track bike.

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:36 PM   #9
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
I broke my femur in April, I still cannot walk right. I've collected 32k "profit" so far and I'm still waiting on more
AFM #676

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Enjoy

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=105910
AFM #676

Old July 26th, 2012, 10:45 PM   #11
hirubhaiambani
Ninjette Fanboy

DANG!!!!!!!!!! That must hurt like crazy.

And WOW...32K. I'll inform my friend that he actually made a huge loss on his crash.
He will be hahaha

Note to self: Save money and invest in a GoPro ASAP. I wish grad school paid more

Old July 30th, 2012, 08:31 PM   #12
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

This thread just gave me all the more assurance I'm making the right decision in bike.

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
I broke my femur in April, I still cannot walk right. I've collected 32k "profit" so far and I'm still waiting on more
Glad to hear you are finally getting compensated for that damn accident.

With that said, after going four months without being able to use my right arm, I am pretty convinced that there is no amount of money worth dealing with all of the problems I encountered during that time, especially when I consider the incredible difficulties I had in getting back into a nice workout routine.

So drivers, please don't hit me.

Thanks,
Signed Xoulrath

Old July 30th, 2012, 09:50 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
With that said, after going four months without being able to use my right arm, I am pretty convinced that there is no amount of money worth dealing with all of the problems I encountered during that time, especially when I consider the incredible difficulties I had in getting back into a nice workout routine.
Bullshit! $1,000,000 would change your mind!
AFM #676

Old July 30th, 2012, 10:04 PM   #15
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

I can't say that $1,000,000 guaranteed wouldn't be tempting. But to this day, almost exactly five years to the day since I severed my biceps tendon, my arm still isn't 100% and it never will be.

I constantly have to stretch it and use a twisting technique my PT showed me to keep it from "locking." I can't imagine your femur healed 100%, and if it did, then congrats. Though with a million bucks, I could pick up that GT-R and Panigale I've been drooling over.

Old July 30th, 2012, 10:07 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Haha nah my femur will never be 100% again, in fact that leg is about 1/4 inch shorter than my other leg and I may need to wear a heel insert in my shoe for the rest of my life, not sure yet. But I think there is an amount of money that would cover most injuries.

Question is, what amount of money would make you feel OK with the way things turned out? Sure you would prefer to have never gone through it but what would make you think, all things considered, this wasn't so bad?
AFM #676

Old July 30th, 2012, 10:30 PM   #17
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Good question, Sean. No debt, with a GT-R and a Panigale sitting in the garage of a house that I had no mortgage on would be pretty damn nice. $1,000,000 would definitely cover that.

I still HATE having to constantly grab my right forearm with my left hand, twisting my right arm to allow me to rotate my right arm to about 90% of what I could do before my worker's comp accident.

But hell, give me a million bucks, a paid off house, a GT-R, and a Panigale and I'd probably be alright.

Old July 30th, 2012, 10:38 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Haha now figure what's the very lowest amount that would get you that silver lining feeling and that's the minimum you should have got from insurance
AFM #676