ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 17th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #1
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250F

My 05 250 street fighter build

Got my first bike about a month or two ago.. Didnt know how far I would go with modding it..

So far ive replaced almost the whole front end, painted it, tuned the carbs with a factory pro kit, threw on a k&n filter, adjusted valve lash and other small things.. Here are a few pictures of how it sits now.

Paint still needs to be wet sanded and polished, I have another headlight coming in since I didnt like my new one as much as I thought I would.

Im also going to modify the front fairing so it covers up the front a little more as well as install an air tech rear seat cowl and some other functional parts such as suspension swap and servicing. but so far here it is..

The first week I got it, decided to take it apart and do the valve lash adjustment, spark plug change, intake and factory pro jets/needles.

I decided to strip the front end off and put on some new levers, ex500 clutch assembly and sato racing bar ends along with the trail tech vapor tach and dashboard

Then peeled off the stickers and put it back together.

Noticed my throttle was sticking so I pulled off the throttle tube and began polishing the handlebar since there were some deep groves cut into the paint. Sprayed some silicon to smoothen things up, did the short throw mod and then lubed the cables.

Got bored and didnt like the paint so I started sanding, priming, cutting down certain parts and painting.

Still need to tweak a few parts here and there but thats how she sits for now.. I will update as I go

Last futzed with by ieathonda; April 5th, 2015 at 10:00 PM.
ieathonda is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old March 17th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #2
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Looking good there!

Old March 19th, 2015, 05:02 PM   #3
RamblingExplorer
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250

How did you mount the trail tech? An issues with the install of it? I have read that the tach on some of the models only go up to 12k, is that the case for yours? Did you use the 752-300 model?

Sorry for all the questions, but I am working on a street fighter build myself and I am not sure the way I want to go gauge wise. Was thinking about either the vapor or maybe just keeping the stock gauges (much cheaper). Just not sure how I would mount them either way...
RamblingExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 19th, 2015, 08:35 PM   #4
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

nice work

Old March 19th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Be aware: those tires can skid/slide and ruin all your hard work:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Tires
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 23rd, 2015, 11:26 AM   #6
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

I ended up mounting it to the ignition housing. and yes, it was the model with only 12k rpm max... i used the one reccomended for the 250.

tires will be my next upgrade if i decide to keep it, was thinking of getting some bt45's.. I have my eye on a 2013 zx6r but trying not to be too tempted to purchase it at the moment heh

thanks for the kind words guys

Old April 1st, 2015, 09:52 PM   #7
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Some progress.. Rode it around in the last week because i got lazy and didnt wet sand, buff and polish... Had some small holes appear and gas seeped through the initial paintjob so i had to redo it. I did the same to the plastic fairings but only got pictures of the gas yank. It was a musty opqaue and cloudy finish. Went in with some 2000 grit, meguiar's swirl x, 3m polish and orbital buffer complemented with a terry cloth 6" cloth and 3m microfiber polishing cloth to finish it off. I need to touch a few spots where i sanded a bit too much, got carried away when i patched it up..

This paintjob was done with duplicolor universal metallic black with 2-3 heavy coats of clear coat.

Reflective test

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 9th, 2015, 09:35 PM   #8
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Small update: Installed venhill carbon front stainless steel like with chrome stainless fittings, oury grips, clear tail turns and new gen sprocket cover.

All of my suspension parts are almost in. Waiting on intiminators, adjustable preload caps, rear shock and need to purchase fluid.

Clip ons are on the way as well.

I am thinking of changing the headlight over to a more angular modern street fighter light, I have my eye on a fz6r oem headlight at the moment.

I am still deciding on tires, I don't mind longevity for a tradeoff of performance and am leaning towards the sport demons. I may install them myself or just fork out 10each for mounting and dismounting at the local tire shop.

Also, if you are going to do the zip tie mod, make sure you use a zip tie wide enough to cover the surface of the throttle tube. I used a smaller diameter zip tie and it started to sit on the sides and give me horrible slop when the throttle was opened partially and let go. This problem only appeared in the last week.

My friend and I have a big trip planned, approx 250 miles one way to Austin Texas and we will ride one of the most winding and scenic routes down there. I plan to have mostly everything done before then.

Old April 16th, 2015, 12:34 PM   #9
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Some updated pictures. Got a few more parts in and installed.

Old April 17th, 2015, 06:06 AM   #10
scatterbrn
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Gene

Motorcycle(s): '05 Ninja 250

I love how its coming along. looks great!
What headlight is that?
scatterbrn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #11
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Just a light I found off ebay.. The construction is sub par. I had to redrill the plastic bucket because the mounting holes were off.. I plan to change over to another headlight in the future.

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:51 AM   #12
crazymadbastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieathonda View Post
Just a light I found off ebay.. The construction is sub par. I had to redrill the plastic bucket because the mounting holes were off.. I plan to change over to another headlight in the future.

I have that one too, the solder used is crap too- looks like crappy lead- no silver. Got some cold solder joints to redo on mine.

Old April 17th, 2015, 08:55 AM   #13
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Yeah you get what you pay for.. I will be upgrading to a much nicer oem street fighter headlight from the yamahas..

Old April 19th, 2015, 09:53 PM   #14
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Just got my clip ons Friday. Will post pictures once I get them installed

Old April 22nd, 2015, 01:50 PM   #15
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Got the clip ons install. about 3-4mm away from full lock before it hits the tank. love the new stance and slight drop. feels more responsive on turns. I cant get over the blank and boring look of the fork caps though but that will be remedied soon

Old April 23rd, 2015, 12:35 AM   #16
Turism0remix
That 1 Guy

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 05' Ninja EX250

Quote:
Got the clip ons install. about 3-4mm away from full lock before it hits the tank. love the new stance and slight drop. feels more responsive on turns. I cant get over the blank and boring look of the fork caps though but that will be remedied soon

I like the Carbon Fiber Triple Tree Plate, Also can you take some pictures around your Vapor? I was trying to mount mine the other day, When I accidentally drilled through the ignition housing it punctured the cylinders inside so now my ignition relay switch is dead and my bike wont turn over to any position acc/on/start WORD OF WARNING DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING AROUND YOUR IGNITION SWITCH! I'm trying to buy a replacement on Ebay as I type so I could at least get it running again
Turism0remix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 04:22 AM   #17
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Bike lolks great! I have the same front fender.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 07:48 AM   #18
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turism0remix View Post
I like the Carbon Fiber Triple Tree Plate, Also can you take some pictures around your Vapor? I was trying to mount mine the other day, When I accidentally drilled through the ignition housing it punctured the cylinders inside so now my ignition relay switch is dead and my bike wont turn over to any position acc/on/start WORD OF WARNING DO NOT DRILL ANYTHING AROUND YOUR IGNITION SWITCH! I'm trying to buy a replacement on Ebay as I type so I could at least get it running again
Thanks, its actually just 3m di-noc wrap. The previous owner mauled the face of the plate somehow and it looked horrid so I decided to cover it up.

Ill try to get some pictures soon. I drilled into the ignition but very carefully. Got it to the right diameter and squeezed a 10mm bolt with some washers through the supplied bracket. I still need to trim down the sides of the bracket and paint it since it seems obtrusive with extra bracket hanging off both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Bike lolks great! I have the same front fender.
Thanks! its come a long way so far.. and I didnt like the front fender much. it really took away from the rest of the bike so i decided to put it on a diet

Old May 6th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #19
ieathonda
ninjette.org member

dislocated my knee a few days ago so itll be a tad bit slower progress on the bike than anticipated. I have everything needed for the front fork upgrade and still need to order the rear shock and tires.. Ill get a picture of the venhill front line sometime. It is a nice ss brake line for sure.

Also, I was having a short from the ignition harness that kept popping my main fuse. I thought it was maybe because of mounting my tach to the ignition housing that caused it. Learned alot from taking the ignition lock cylinder apart and found that the circuitry is only at the 1/4 bottom of the assembly. Eventually traced the wires and found an open wire right where the bracket screws down the harness to the underside of the top triple tree clamp. Cleaned it up and everything works flawlessly. Check the wiring on your ignition harness before anything!

Old April 5th, 2016, 01:09 PM   #20
crazymadbastard

Quote:
dislocated my knee a few days ago so itll be a tad bit slower progress on the bike than anticipated. I have everything needed for the front fork upgrade and still need to order the rear shock and tires.. Ill get a picture of the venhill front line sometime. It is a nice ss brake line for sure.

Also, I was having a short from the ignition harness that kept popping my main fuse. I thought it was maybe because of mounting my tach to the ignition housing that caused it. Learned alot from taking the ignition lock cylinder apart and found that the circuitry is only at the 1/4 bottom of the assembly. Eventually traced the wires and found an open wire right where the bracket screws down the harness to the underside of the top triple tree clamp. Cleaned it up and everything works flawlessly. Check the wiring on your ignition harness before anything!
Healed up good?