Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old May 25th, 2019, 05:08 PM   #1
EffaMoulton
ninjette.org member

Name: Ethan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE

How big of a tire can I put on?

My rear tire is pretty much bald in the middle, I’m looking for a new tire and I think I want it to be a bigger size. Would you guys suggest this? If so what size and what tire would you get? Thanks!!
EffaMoulton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2019, 07:27 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Here's some information: https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/About_wider_tires
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2019, 07:29 PM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffaMoulton View Post
My rear tire is pretty much bald in the middle, I’m looking for a new tire and I think I want it to be a bigger size. Would you guys suggest this?
no

Quote:
If so what size and what tire would you get? Thanks!!
Comes down to what measurable improvements you want with bigger tyre.

Do you want to go 1-sec/lap faster at X-track?
Or you want to go 2-sec/lap faster at Y-track?

Results should be quantified in exact terms, then we can work backwards and offer some suggestions. Some candidates:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JF8XOCE/ Michelin
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005UGHYF8/ Pirelli
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AC5DEK6/ Continental

Note that due to squeezing bigger tyre onto narrow rim, profile (curve) of tyre will be pinched. You won't be able to lean bike over far enough to use extra width at edges. So functionally, bigger tyre has as much useable area as stock one anyway.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 25th, 2019, 08:25 PM   #4
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Is this for meaty looks or to get more life out of the middle of the tire?
A 150 is as wide as you can go on. A new gen ‘08-12.
If you need more life out of the center of the tire. Look at the dual compund tires that use a harder rubber for the straight up and down time. And a sticky rubber for when you lean it over.
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2019, 10:14 PM   #5
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Really good dual-compound tyre is the BT45. I got over 12k-miles from my last one.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GRX5Y0

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; June 23rd, 2019 at 11:09 PM.

Old May 26th, 2019, 06:06 AM   #6
EffaMoulton
ninjette.org member

Name: Ethan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r SE

It seems like a wider tire is not the way to go for me. Thanks for the info.
EffaMoulton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2019, 06:16 AM   #7
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
The Bridgestone BT45 that @DannoXYZ mentioned is a favorite of mine, not only for our 250s, but for other larger motorcycles. It won't hold you back, even for occasional track days.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 26th, 2019, 06:02 PM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by EffaMoulton View Post
It seems like a wider tire is not the way to go for me. Thanks for the info.
Good call. It usually creates more problems and can degrade handling.

One more thing - don't let your tires get to the point where they don't have any tread left - it's too dangerous. Most have "wear bars" in the tread grooves that show minimum safe tread. I never even get there, and will replace a tire way before I hit minimum tread depth just for safety.

Tires normally should be replaced if they are more than 5 years old, even if they have plenty of tread.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 26th, 2019, 09:25 PM   #9
DannoXYZ

Tyres are underdogs of motorcyle technology. They're been boring black round things for over 100-yrs and nobody gives them as much hype as improvements in metallurgies, electronics or engine outputs. However, they've contributed HUGE portions to modern bike's performance.

First with adoption of radial tyres in '80s. Hot bias-ply tyre at time was Dunlop K591S which I used on my VF500 Interceptor. Then I tried CBR600-F2 with radial tyres and it was night vs. day difference! Lower rolling resistance AND better wear AND grip! Simply amazing!

Then somewhere in late '90s came silica compounds. These were closely guarded secret compounds so it's not easy to figure out who used them first. Nowadays, every tyre-maker claimed they were first. Probably because it took decades to find right mix. Early attempts did yield better rolling-resistance, but worse lifespan and grip. Now I think they've all settled on some proprietary hydrosilicates as favourite. Reduction in rolling resistance, yet improvements in lifespan AND grip. Basically any tyre you buy today is gonna be miraculous compared to just couple decades ago.

Next revolution promises another 20% improvement in rolling resistance as well as higher grip using Graphene Plus nanotech. Patented by Vittoria and used successfully by winning teams in TdF for past two years. Hopefully this will show up in moto tyres soon!

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; May 27th, 2019 at 05:46 PM.

Old June 19th, 2019, 09:18 AM   #10
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
Tyres are underdogs of motorcyle technology. They're been boring black round things for over 100-yrs and nobody gives them as much hype as improvements in metallurgies, electronics or engine outputs. However, they've contributed HUGE portions to modern bike's performance.

First with adoption of radial tyres in '80s. Hot bias-ply tyre at time was Dunlop K591S which I used on my VF500 Interceptor. Then I tried CBR600-F2 with radial tyres and it was night vs. day difference! Lower rolling resistance AND better wear AND grip! Simply amazing!

Then somewhere in late '90s came silica compounds. These were closely guarded secret compounds so it's not easy to figure out who used them first. Nowadays, every tyre-maker claimed they were first. Probably because it took decades to find right mix. Early attempts did yield better rolling-resistance, but worse lifespan and grip. Now I think they've all settled on some proprietary hydrosilicates as favourite. Reduction in rolling resistance, yet improvements in lifespan AND grip. Basically any tyre you buy today is gonna be miraculous compared to just couple decades ago.

Next revolution promises another 20% improvement in rolling resistance as well as higher grip using Graphene Plus nanotech. Patented by Vittoria and used successfully by winning teams in TdF for past two years. Hopefully this will show up in moto tyres soon!
Great info!
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote