ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 22nd, 2011, 10:19 PM   #1
Magz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

'08+ parts that fit Pre-Gen

I've found it's getting harder to find parts for the pre-gens, so I'd like to see what people know can be swapped from the new bikes to the Pre-gen. I don't know anyone nearby who has a new bike to let me tinker with and find out. I know there are some, hopefully others will find this useful as well.

Parts that will swap:

- Brake Pedal
- Shifter assembly (foot lever and linkage)

I'd really like to know about the levers. There are some good deals on aftermarket stuff, but mostly labeled for the '08+ bikes.

Old October 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

You already mentioned it, but I wanted to clarify that the complete rearset (pegs, levers, and brackets) are compatible.

The swingarm, shock, chain, rear sprocket, front sprocket cover, and clutch cover from the current generation are all compatible with the previous generation.

Also, the pregen front sprocket is generally listed as compatible with the current gen even though there is a slight thickness/alignment difference.

As far as I know, they both use H7 headlight bulbs. FWIW, the rear swingarm from the current gen is only known to be compatible if you also use the rear brake disc, rear brake assembly, rear wheel assembly, rear axel, shock, etc from the current generation along with it, but why not?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 06:35 AM   #3
GeorgeRYoung
ninjette.org member

Name: George

Motorcycle(s): EX250, C10 Concours

Headlight bulb, shock

Just checked RonAyers and my '89 EX250 calls for an H4 headlight bulb.

Also, I've read that the rear shocks are pretty interchangeable.
GeorgeRYoung is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 07:15 AM   #4
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRYoung View Post
Just checked RonAyers and my '89 EX250 calls for an H4 headlight bulb.

Also, I've read that the rear shocks are pretty interchangeable.
Yep, the new-gen's rear shock bolts right in to the pre-gen. I have one on mine right now.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2011, 08:38 AM   #5
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '99 EX250(Cafe/fighter project)

One thing to note with the shock, the head of the shock bolts right into the pre gen ninjettes frame, so you will be left with an extra nut. I am in the process of confirming if the forks are compatible with my stocker fork clamps, in theory they should because they are roughly 37mm, but is better to be safe than sorry.

Last futzed with by cerberusrex25; November 26th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.
cerberusrex25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 11:37 AM   #6
TonyKZ1
ninjette.org member

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 1975 Kawasaki KZ400D (Sold), 1989 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 1997 Yamaha XJ600s Seca II

Hmmm.. so if the rear swing-arm is compatible as long as you bring along the rear brake disc, rear brake assembly, rear wheel assembly, rear axle, etc. (basically the whole thing) and if the front is compatible too then you could upgrade to 17" wheels at least in theory.
What an idea.
Tony

Old October 25th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #7
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyKZ1 View Post
Hmmm.. so if the rear swing-arm is compatible as long as you bring along the rear brake disc, rear brake assembly, rear wheel assembly, rear axle, etc. (basically the whole thing) and if the front is compatible too then you could upgrade to 17" wheels at least in theory.
What an idea.
Tony
Exactly. Tempting isn't it?? the question is would the J forks have to be mashed into the pregen triples like cerberusrex25 is suggesting? Or could the pregen triples just be swapped with J triples to move the entire front end over along with the entire back end? We just need someone to do it. With all new suspension and better tire selection, you could have all kinds of fun. Like radials and a hugger. Might as well get that cool J fender for the front while you do the front end swap too Breathe new life into a classic ninja
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2011, 06:07 PM   #8
sombo

Well I know that at least the wheels will work. I don't remember who, but someone quite some time ago was running new-gen wheels and brakes on a pre-gen.

Old October 25th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #9
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I asked copperaxe what it took him, and he said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperaxe View Post
A little milling, cutting, and welding... and the rear wheel will fit.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=67656&page=4
post #148. He talks about it a little more on page 5 too

Old October 26th, 2011, 06:42 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
I asked copperaxe what it took him, and he said,

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...t=67656&page=4
post #148. He talks about it a little more on page 5 too
You can grab the URL form the page number to link to a post directly. Page number is not consistant because different users have different posts-per-page settings.

Anyway, he never said if the spacer was needed with the forks (was addressing the tire question), so I still wonder. He didn't swap the swingarm so that probably took some doing (brakes and all). I hope he at least has a 2008+ shock to raise the tail with a larger tire on there.

Old October 26th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #11
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
oh.. I never thought of that. derp.

yeah it would be a tight fit in the back without the J dogbones and rear end. would be potentially dangerous if it bottomed out and slammed into the wheel well

Old October 28th, 2011, 01:24 PM   #12
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): two wheeled motorcycles

I found an old Works shock to use that fits the 250 and 500. I also changed the dog bones to improve handling. In regards from the front... I bolted on a 2008 front end, complete from the triple tree down, no problems and very simple.
copperaxe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I found an old Works shock to use that fits the 250 and 500. I also changed the dog bones to improve handling. In regards from the front... I bolted on a 2008 front end, complete from the triple tree down, no problems and very simple.
VERY cool info. Thanks!

Old October 28th, 2011, 02:36 PM   #14
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
yes. Very cool info indeed. This means that someone could take their ninja, do a front AND rear end swap, and then get the J fender, a hugger from a-tech or sportisi, and get a much better selection of tires to choose from at the same time, and end up with a bike that handles better, looks better, and is different than every other 88-07 250R out there. Nice. very nice. I'm so tempted right now

Old October 31st, 2011, 09:57 AM   #15
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

I could not be happier with this conversion. It has allowed me to have a very capable and competitive race bike at a fraction of the price of buying a new Ninjette. Some race organizations could say that this is not legal for a stock Ninja 250 class, but WERA has already blessed this as an acceptable bike (from what I was told by a WERA member). So far I have not had anybody protest this bike. But if a peson is looking for a fun trackday bike that can run with the fastest post-2008 Ninja 250s, then this is a great conversion!!!

Last futzed with by copperaxe; October 31st, 2011 at 09:58 AM. Reason: spelling

Old November 1st, 2011, 05:27 AM   #16
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
One thing to not with the shock, the head of the shock bolts right into the pre gen ninjettes frame, so you will be left with an extra nut. I am in the process of confirming if the forks are compatible with my stocker fork clamps, in theory they should because they are roughly 37mm, but is better to be safe than sorry.
I'm not sure what you mean. I just swapped out my pregen shock for a newgen one and used the exact same hardware. It literally took about 2 minutes and I didn't have anything left over.

Old November 1st, 2011, 05:40 AM   #17
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
I'm not sure what you mean. I just swapped out my pregen shock for a newgen one and used the exact same hardware. It literally took about 2 minutes and I didn't have anything left over.
^ +1

Same thing here. Bolted right in with no problems and no hardware issues. On the ninja250 guides they even say and show that it does.

Old November 25th, 2011, 04:52 PM   #18
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

Name: andy

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250 faster red

Quote:
Originally Posted by sombo View Post
^ +1

Same thing here. Bolted right in with no problems and no hardware issues. On the ninja250 guides they even say and show that it does.
same here. Did the new-gen shock on pre-gen swap. no problem at all.

now, the new-gen FRONT sprocket should NOT fit into the pre-gen, because the pre-gen sprocket has two mounting bolts, while the new gen doesn't.

and thanks copperaxe, it's very good to know the front suspension and rear swingarm can bolt directly on. A WSMC guy (Ed Sorbo) implied it should be okay too.
andylawcc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 26th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #19
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

What I meant is I got one nut left over, that is it. It bolted right on and so far it seem it will stay on. On a related note, shock spring is pushed all the way down, I'm a heavy guy and Im worried once the engine is on the wheel might rub a bit on the rear fender; should I adjust it so that the spring is a bit higher?

Old November 26th, 2011, 03:52 PM   #20
exploring/carolina
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Quote:
I could not be happier with this conversion. It has allowed me to have a very capable and competitive race bike at a fraction of the price of buying a new Ninjette. Some race organizations could say that this is not legal for a stock Ninja 250 class, but WERA has already blessed this as an acceptable bike (from what I was told by a WERA member). So far I have not had anybody protest this bike. But if a peson is looking for a fun trackday bike that can run with the fastest post-2008 Ninja 250s, then this is a great conversion!!!
Great idea!!! This may be my next Ninja project after two other motorcycle projects currently working on.

Thanks for the info,
exploring/carolina is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #21
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

This is cool to see more people converting to the new 17" wheels, one method or another. Ed Sorbo is a great source for information at the track, he has been helpfull to me and a friend who race Ninja 250s, but I had my pre-gen converted to the new wheels before I talked to him at the track.

More power to the conversion movement with the Ninjettes!

Maybe more trackday guys and potential racers will follow when they see that you can make a "pre-gen" 250 every bit as capable at the race track for half the cost!!!

Old November 28th, 2011, 10:33 PM   #22
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerberusrex25 View Post
What I meant is I got one nut left over, that is it. It bolted right on and so far it seem it will stay on.
oh, my fault, should have read your original post with some basic comprehension. ;p
but ya, the shock is on there and snugged.

Quote:
On a related note, shock spring is pushed all the way down, I'm a heavy guy and Im worried once the engine is on the wheel might rub a bit on the rear fender; should I adjust it so that the spring is a bit higher?
and my spring is somewhat in the midway. rider sag is about 35mm if i recall correctly.

Old November 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM   #23
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

17" wheel adapters!

Here is the guy to contact if you want a very simple way to mount 17" wheels on your old-gen Ninja250...

His name is Jeff, he races with WERA, jjuskowich@hotmail.com

I believe he charges $150 for the whole kit (front and rear). So a person could quite simply buy a kit from Jeff, buy a set of wheels and tires, then bolt them on, torque and saftey wire as needed.

The stickiest tires available for the old-gen bikes too, as simple as that!

Old November 30th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #24
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

copperaxe, so 17'' wheels specifically means the New-gen's one right?

I was thinking about if the wheels from a Ninja500 be a viable options.

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:32 PM   #25
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

Yes, hence the name of the thread.

People have used the ex500 wheels in the past, but using the new-gen 250 wheels is the simplest way to get the 17" tire selection on the old-gen. Plus I think that the 250 wheels are lighter than the old 500 wheels!

Old November 30th, 2011, 12:38 PM   #26
andylawcc
ninjette.org guru

cool thanks!

now, cerberusrex25 (another true trailblazer for this whole new-gen/pre-gen swap mod) has mention the rearsets from the new gen can be fitted into the pre-gen.
currently, there are no adjustable rearsets for the pre-gen, so if the stock rearset fits, then I reckon aftermarket (adjustable!) ones from a new-gen will fit on the pre-gen!

Old November 30th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #27
cerberusrex25
Accesories Guru

Well as long as the holes match you can mount them, and the holes on the frame do match and so does the threads on the screws.

Old November 30th, 2011, 04:05 PM   #28
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylawcc View Post
currently, there are no adjustable rearsets for the pre-gen, so if the stock rearset fits, then I reckon aftermarket (adjustable!) ones from a new-gen will fit on the pre-gen!
any rearset/rearset adjuster that fits the current 250R will fit the pre-gen. Some rearset adjusters need a little material shaved off where they contact the frame, but they work great. a little searching will net good results on this. note how woodcraft has one set of rearsets that work for all 1988-current ninja 250R's

I'm using rearset adjusters from A+L that work great. If I can find a set of OEM 2008+ rearsets that are cheap, I'll get them because they're black and don't stand out so badly from the rest of the bike

Old December 29th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #29
7racer
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Henry

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Nice!!! Could you post some pics of this please?
7racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 08:48 PM   #30
abhijitz
ninjette.org sage

Name: Abhijit

Motorcycle(s): Many Two Wheels ..

Does anyone know if the pre-gen shock fit the new-gen? Reason why i ask, i got access to a pre-gen Penske which i want to try on the new gen.
abhijitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 09:06 PM   #31
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
...well if the new shock fits the classic bike, then the other way would also work

the mounting brackets are the same size and are interchangeable. The only difference is that the new shock is a little longer than the classic shock.

Old December 29th, 2011, 09:09 PM   #32
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitz View Post
Does anyone know if the pre-gen shock fit the new-gen? Reason why i ask, i got access to a pre-gen Penske which i want to try on the new gen.
Yes, it bolts right in. You should have just searched because this has been talked about before. I'm one of those that has a new-gen shock in a pre-gen that just bolted right in, so the reverse would also work. It's a good thing you mentioned that you have an aftermarket shock otherwise I'd be asking why you would want to downgrade your shock.

Old December 29th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #33
abhijitz
ninjette.org sage

Name: Abhijit

Motorcycle(s): Many Two Wheels ..

New gen shock is 320mm, how long is old gen shock? I have this penske shock practically free from my friend, so i need to check the length there as well.

Quote:
Yes, it bolts right in. You should have just searched because this has been talked about before. I'm one of those that has a new-gen shock in a pre-gen that just bolted right in, so the reverse would also work. It's a good thing you mentioned that you have an aftermarket shock otherwise I'd be asking why you would want to downgrade your shock.
Thanks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
...well if the new shock fits the classic bike, then the other way would also work

the mounting brackets are the same size and are interchangeable. The only difference is that the new shock is a little longer than the classic shock.
abhijitz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2011, 10:26 PM   #34
sombo

They are the same in length. Most pre-gen shocks that are used will appear maybe a couple mm (like 2-3mm) shorter simply because they settled over time/use. Also the real reason that the new-gen shocks raise up the rear end of a pre-gen is because of the stiffer spring and thicker fluid. It's just a much stronger shock and doesn't sag like the pre-gens do.

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:16 PM   #35
CynicalC

Quote:
They are the same in length. Most pre-gen shocks that are used will appear maybe a couple mm (like 2-3mm) shorter simply because they settled over time/use. Also the real reason that the new-gen shocks raise up the rear end of a pre-gen is because of the stiffer spring and thicker fluid. It's just a much stronger shock and doesn't sag like the pre-gens do.
Hmm I'm pretty sure the new gen shock is actually a bit longer.

Old December 30th, 2011, 07:41 PM   #36
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

So essentially you are trying to recreate the 250 ZZR.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #37
sombo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalC View Post
Hmm I'm pretty sure the new gen shock is actually a bit longer.
Nope, looked it up. A new shock was only 2mm longer than a heavily used old shock. It's just the higher spring rate that prevents the rear end from sagging like old shock does.

Old December 31st, 2011, 01:09 PM   #38
CynicalC

My pregen shock was not so heavily used and the newgen shock I put on definitely seemed more than 2mm longer, and others have noted the same thing.

Old December 31st, 2011, 01:43 PM   #39
sombo

Need more proof?

Old December 31st, 2011, 04:39 PM   #40
copperaxe
Deviant Gentleman

I'm considering swapping to the new style swingarm. My main reason is that although the "new gen" 17" wheel will fit with the old swingarm when things are modified; the clearance is real snug which makes tire warmer installation a pain.
So I'm looking to convert swingarms to help with tire warmers at the track. Luckily i can find them on ebay shipped for under $50.