ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:01 AM   #41
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Name: William

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja ZX-6R B/W

Where about in Florida are you intending to move to?
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:05 AM   #42
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreafaerie91 View Post
how do you like your 650? do you feel like it's too much? I'm still on the fence between the 250 and the 650... I really like the feel of the 650, but i like what i'm hearing about the 250. I'm just afraid that i'll regret not starting with the 250. I'll be learning on a 500 buell blast
Get a 250 first, it's just so much easier
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #43
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrea

Motorcycle(s): None yet... hoping for a ninja 650 :) (yes, that is a motorcycling my little pony :) )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcor View Post
Where about in Florida are you intending to move to?
Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Get a 250 first, it's just so much easier
That's what I'm thinking... but when I sit on a 250 it just doesn't feel right Like it's too low and small... I like the way the 650 feels underneath me but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing, not just the easy thing.

edit// I'm not worried about power and speed, I don't need to be going over 80 as far as I'm concerned.
andreafaerie91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #44
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Isn't the 250 practically the same size as the 650 except for width?

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:14 AM   #45
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
The 250 is really just easier to learn on. Even when I switch from my 650 to my 250, I'm like HOLY **** this thing is so much easier to ride! I have to worry less about throttle control, braking, matching rpm's on shifts, it's just easier. Buy a used 250, learn on it, sell it for what you bought it for and then switch to a 650, that is your best option

Once you start riding a 250 you won't think it is too small. I'm 6'2 200lbs and I don't think its too small. Besides, they are about the same size anyway.

AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #46
akshay11
ninjette.org member

Name: Akshay

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 650

Quote:
how do you like your 650? do you feel like it's too much? I'm still on the fence between the 250 and the 650... I really like the feel of the 650, but i like what i'm hearing about the 250. I'm just afraid that i'll regret not starting with the 250. I'll be learning on a 500 buell blast
I love it and don't regret it one bit. Its not too much at all, and didn't take long to get comfortable on. I'm already using it for my commute on the freeway and have gone on a few group rides.
akshay11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:26 AM   #47
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): None yet... hoping for a ninja 650 :) (yes, that is a motorcycling my little pony :) )

Quote:
Isn't the 250 practically the same size as the 650 except for width?
The 650 weighs a bit more and it's a little taller. There's a few minor differences. They're both very comfy, I just like the way that the 650 sits.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:29 AM   #48
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
The 250 is really just easier to learn on. Even when I switch from my 650 to my 250, I'm like HOLY **** this thing is so much easier to ride! I have to worry less about throttle control, braking, matching rpm's on shifts, it's just easier. Buy a used 250, learn on it, sell it for what you bought it for and then switch to a 650, that is your best option

Once you start riding a 250 you won't think it is too small. I'm 6'2 200lbs and I don't think its too small. Besides, they are about the same size anyway.
Awesome I suppose I'll just have to test drive both before I buy one for sure. My boyfriend is concerned that I'll blow away in the wind on a 250 (I'm not a very big person to begin with haha and he's joking of course but still) But I'm afraid that the 650 will have just flat out too much power. Like I said, I'm still on the fence lol but leaning heavily toward a 2011 250

oh oh oh! Another question! (sorry for stealing your thread falcor!)
is it a HUGE leap from the 250 to the 650? (granted I know it's DUH! but...) after experience on the 250 is it a hard transition?

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #49
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

No worries, I'm sure many people on this forum will tell you to stick with a 250 first because it is a lot more forgiving and less expensive to replace if you drop it. There are plenty of forum posts about the bike riding on freeways and they seem to do fine as long as you are tucked in a reasonable amount and there aren't any tropical storm winds . But if you find yourself liking the 650 more then no one here will stop you.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:33 AM   #50
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
You are going to get blown around on either bike, it happens, it's a motorcycle. The 650 is faster 0-60 than every car on the road, a Lamborghini might be able to beat you, but thats about it.

I've made this point a lot in other threads, view akshays thread about what to get for more details, but basically, you will make mistakes on the bike. The 250 will numb those mistakes, the 650 will amplify them.
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #51
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No worries, I'm sure many people on this forum will tell you to stick with a 250 first because it is a lot more forgiving and less expensive to replace if you drop it. There are plenty of forum posts about the bike riding on freeways and they seem to do fine as long as you are tucked in a reasonable amount and there aren't any tropical storm winds . But if you find yourself liking the 650 more then no one here will stop you.
Haha this is very true. and 250's are *much* cheaper lol I'm fairly certain I'll go with the 250, but I want to make sure I don't leave any options out haha

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #52
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
oh oh oh! Another question! (sorry for stealing your thread falcor!)
is it a HUGE leap from the 250 to the 650? (granted I know it's DUH! but...) after experience on the 250 is it a hard transition?
I had ridden around 12k miles and for 8 months when I switched. What was hard was that the throttle, the brakes and everything was so much more responsive and powerful. It wasn't difficult to ride but it did take some getting used to until I Could ride it liKe I ride my 250
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:38 AM   #53
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You are going to get blown around on either bike, it happens, it's a motorcycle. The 650 is faster 0-60 than every car on the road, a Lamborghini might be able to beat you, but thats about it.

I've made this point a lot in other threads, view akshays thread about what to get for more details, but basically, you will make mistakes on the bike. The 250 will numb those mistakes, the 650 will amplify them.
Oh yes, I understand that perfectly. I've read quite a few of your posts. I prefer to read about things before I ask haha I have no interest in beating anyone... except for my boyfriend with a pool noodle... although it might look sad if boyfriend smokes me on his super scooter... haha either way, that's not the point I'm pretty sure the 250 is going to be the way I go now

PS I hope your femur feels better soon BF broke his pelvis last october... flew over an altima that cut him off.

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:43 AM   #54
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Haha the meds make it feel better, the only thing that sucks is that I can't go ride, it was my favorite thing to do. You really gotta be careful. In my situation there was no way a collision could have been avoided on my part, but most of the time the rider can prevent the accident, even when the other party is at fault. Always be aware, ride defensive and ride safe. You've seen first hand how much a crash sucks.

Oh and gear, always wear all of your gear all the time. Aside from my femur breaking, I had no injuries in a 25mph crash thanks to my gear. Had my foot not gotten stuck when i got thrown over the bike, I could have gotten up and punched the bitch that turned in front of me in the face, sadly, I instead had to rely on her for help "/
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:45 AM   #55
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Had my foot not gotten stuck when i got thrown over the bike, I could have gotten up and punched the bitch that turned in front of me in the face, sadly, I instead had to rely on her for help "/
Falcon Punch!

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #56
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Femur Face Punch!
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:51 AM   #57
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Name: I'm a ninja!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Well the plan is to get the bike in July regardless of how much i have saved up at the time, so i was wondering if anyone has experience with the typical APR rates for a student to finance the rest of the bike?
Open up an account with your local credit union. Wait one month then go ask them about financing your bike I got something like 6.75% because it was a used bike. If I had a new one they would have given me 2.99%.
GreenNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:53 AM   #58
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Open up an account with your local credit union. Wait one month then go ask them about financing your bike I got something like 6.75% because it was a used bike. If I had a new one they would have given me 2.99%.
Would they care that i'm 18 with little to no credit yet?

Old April 16th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #59
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
That I am not sure about. It doesn't hurt to have an account with your local FCU for the future though. It only costs $20 to start an account. The insurance are gonna care about you being 18. The FCU only cares about is credit score, credit history and employment.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #60
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
My credit union had a $1 membership fee

The nice thing about a credit union is they look at your actual situation, not just your credit score. Now being 18, you are SOL without a cosigner, but a CU will give you a better rate than a bank
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:00 AM   #61
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Kick her in the throat! (if it doesn't hurt too much...)

I'm an avid "put on your damn gear!" person... I made boyfriend get a Shoei helmet and I have a DOT/SNELL and I upgraded the spinal protector in my jacket. Like I posted before *points randomly* the only thing I don't have yet is gloves.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:04 AM   #62
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If you're going for a loan they will. Something you *might* consider as a last ditch thing... get a student loan. This works especially well if you're a commuter and need a new ride haha get in good with the people in the financial aid office

Just as a financial tip from student to student... don't spend what you don't have. Personally I like being able to say I have no debts and if I pay for my vehicle outright... they can't take it from me for not making payments... also, make sure you factor in personal prop. tax, insurance, and all that stuff that you'll have to pay to the state and required to own a vehicle. (not sure how those rules go in fl lol)

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM   #63
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
My credit union had a $1 membership fee

The nice thing about a credit union is they look at your actual situation, not just your credit score. Now being 18, you are SOL without a cosigner, but a CU will give you a better rate than a bank
I didn't get charged a fee for membership fee. Oh wait, it wasn't 20, it was 5 to start an account. What that means is that I had to keep a minimum of 5 in my account at all times.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:07 AM   #64
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Yea I had to pay $6 total $1 for membership and $5 for the savings account, which still has $5 in it lol.

I'd like to switch everything over from wellsfargo, but everything is already set up ya know? meh
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #65
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

I have both. the FCU is only local and Wells Fargo covers a larger area of the US so if I ever need to withdraw cash, I'd rather not pay the ATM fee from my hard earned money.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:13 AM   #66
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Just as a financial tip from student to student... don't spend what you don't have. Personally I like being able to say I have no debts and if I pay for my vehicle outright... they can't take it from me for not making payments.
I'll have no problem making payments, i know that for sure. It's just a matter of finding the cheapest route in the end. Which obviously is to buy out right, but I just really want the bike before i have to give up the Dakota since my commute to work will be around 50 miles round trip each day when we move one area code south of my work. I do however know that once i don't need the truck we plan to sell it, so maybe i can convince the rents to put the money into the bike payments then just let me pay them back instead of paying off a loan. We'll see

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #67
GreenNinja
ninjette.org guru

Falcor,

Have you contacted your insurance agent to see how much insurance will cost you? Make sure you get uninsured coverage also. With you being under 25 it might be a hefty amount. Well...hefty is relevant so hefty compared to someone over 25.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:17 AM   #68
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'll have no problem making payments, i know that for sure. It's just a matter of finding the cheapest route in the end. Which obviously is to buy out right, but I just really want the bike before i have to give up the Dakota since my commute to work will be around 50 miles round trip each day when we move one area code south of my work. I do however know that once i don't need the truck we plan to sell it, so maybe i can convince the rents to put the money into the bike payments then just let me pay them back instead of paying off a loan. We'll see
That'd be a good option too. I drive home just about every weekend (63 miles to 63 back... ouch!) to work my second job so I know about that! Also... you might want to consider keeping that truck... might need it to move stuff that's why I've still got mine! haha

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #69
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNinja View Post
Falcor,

Have you contacted your insurance agent to see how much insurance will cost you? Make sure you get uninsured coverage also. With you being under 25 it might be a hefty amount. Well...hefty is relevant so hefty compared to someone over 25.
My father said it will probably run me 600 a year with our insurance but i'll be sure to double check.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #70
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
you might want to consider keeping that truck... might need it to move stuff that's why I've still got mine! haha
Oh believe me, that's the last thing i want to do. My co-workers always come up to me "Hey Bill... you have a truck right?..."

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:23 AM   #71
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Oh believe me, that's the last thing i want to do. My co-workers always come up to me "Hey Bill... you have a truck right?..."
I can relate... especially since I live off campus.. "hey andi... uh, can you move (insert huge unnecessary how the **** did you pay for that piece of furniture here)?" my response is a resounding "no" or... "yeah, but I gotta charge you 20 bucks for moving it and 5 for gas so..." lol

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #72
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Get full coverage, liability at 250/500 or higher and uninsured/underinsured at the same amount. If the girl that broke my femur didn't have insurance, I would have to sue her to pay my bills. My underinsured helps resolve that problem ever happeneing. I'm going to bump mine up to 500/1mil, just to be on the safe side, it doesn't cost that much more to bump it up
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #73
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
My father said it will probably run me 600 a year with our insurance but i'll be sure to double check.
you get breaks for good things too, not sure if it applies to motorcycle insurance but I know right now my parents' get a break because my gpa stays over 3.5 lol and you get breaks if you haven't had a ticket recently, and if you complete various levels of the msf courses

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #74
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

I usually end up outside trying to figure out how to lay the damn thing they are making me move in the truck bed without it getting messed up.. by myself might i add you. If i ever need to move something i'll get something to tow behind the 68 if i absolutely have to! haha

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:27 AM   #75
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
you get breaks for good things too, not sure if it applies to motorcycle insurance but I know right now my parents' get a break because my gpa stays over 3.5 lol and you get breaks if you haven't had a ticket recently, and if you complete various levels of the msf courses
Our insurance doesn't care much for GPA, msf curse is required for a motorcycle endorsement in Florida so i doubt there will be decreases there (unless i take the advanced class later maybe?), and well as for tickets.. haha... yeah.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:34 AM   #76
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Our insurance doesn't care much for GPA, msf curse is required for a motorcycle endorsement in Florida so i doubt there will be decreases there (unless i take the advanced class later maybe?), and well as for tickets.. haha... yeah.
MSF is required just about everywhere. I have geico so, they have some pretty neat stuff that helps take down cost. I'm also 21 with a pretty good driving record and i've been with them since 15 and a half so they know me pretty good haha (I talk to my agent in person so she finds all kinds of good stuff for my folks) and Jiggles is 157% right with the coverage. Get as much as you can afford basically. BF has had the fun of having to sue the bitch that hit him, she had no insurance and no assets at all, it was a total mess.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:37 AM   #77
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

I'm definitely going to look into the best coverage i can get without breaking the bank. Lots of crazies where i live so if something happens i want to be set. *knocks on wood once again*

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #78
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
A camera will also help
AFM #676

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:40 AM   #79
Falcor
The Luck Dragon

Quote:
A camera will also help
I want to do motorcycle vlogs! But i'm just afraid it's one more thing to worry about, maybe once i become confident enough in my abilities i'd look into it.

Old April 16th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #80
andreafaerie91
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I want to do motorcycle vlogs! But i'm just afraid it's one more thing to worry about, maybe once i become confident enough in my abilities i'd look into it.
IDK about doing vlogs but my bf already said he's gonna follow me on his burgman with my camera while i'm learning to ride on my own so he can show me later what i'm doing wrong or what i can improve on