ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old January 18th, 2014, 08:09 AM   #81
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Name: Archit

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
Drill the shock bushing. A good bit will go right thru it, then use the Ninja hardware. You need to drill the lower shock mount hole too, as well as widen the opening for the linkage to fit into.
The lower linkage mount I've drilled with a 12mm bit as mentioned by you. But is using the thinner bolt on the top mounting a bad idea? Coz ot fits like a glove
shadewalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 08:13 AM   #82
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

It will be loose in the frame holes if I'm remembering it correctly.
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 18th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #83
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Hmmm ok ill drill the hole to make the original hardware fit

Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:02 PM   #84
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Guys I'm having a huge problem. I was installing the Woodcraft clipons with the 2 1/2 inch risers and it was still touching the visor. Could it be because of my master cylinder levers and clutch perch? Coz all of them are from the 636.i had to cut away on the sides of the visor a little bit so that they dont interfere.

Does that seem normal or have I do e something wrong?

Old January 23rd, 2014, 10:57 PM   #85
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

What do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2341.jpg (84.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2342.jpg (83.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2343.jpg (72.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2344.jpg (64.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG2345.jpg (65.2 KB, 11 views)

Old January 24th, 2014, 04:13 AM   #86
mania
ninjette.org member

Name: mania

Motorcycle(s): 2013 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadewalker View Post
What do you guys think?
Ouch!
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2014, 11:58 AM   #87
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
Ouch!
Exactly

Old January 24th, 2014, 12:57 PM   #88
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
shouldnt take too long. maybe a week to 10 days and i should have that too. i just hope old3 can get me the drawings for the bracket
I don't know if you picked it up on my other thread but SV Racing is using my bracket as a template to start building them for both Tokico and Nissan calipers for our bikes. I'm running a 6 piston cal off a Hyabusa and have a Verseys master en route to try on it. The OEM 13mm pushes it pretty well but I'm thinking the bigger piston will help reduce effort and lever travel.

Old January 24th, 2014, 01:01 PM   #89
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Exactly
Put down the sawzall and step away from the motorcycle!!!

You guys can get those sweet real handle bar kits over there. Sorry but I'd be all over those, pick you favorite bend and enjoy.

Old January 24th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #90
old3
ninjette.org sage

Old January 24th, 2014, 02:41 PM   #91
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I don't know if you picked it up on my other thread but SV Racing is using my bracket as a template to start building them for both Tokico and Nissan calipers for our bikes. I'm running a 6 piston cal off a Hyabusa and have a Verseys master en route to try on it. The OEM 13mm pushes it pretty well but I'm thinking the bigger piston will help reduce effort and lever travel.
I definitely did not see that.. So is it on their website yet or do I need to Contact them directly?

Old January 24th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #92
old3
ninjette.org sage

He should have just gotten it today so it will be awhile before he has them ready for sale. Keep an eye out here and I'll start a new thread about when they will be available after I get mine back.

He will build a nice piece, no doubt.

Old January 24th, 2014, 06:11 PM   #93
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
He should have just gotten it today so it will be awhile before he has them ready for sale. Keep an eye out here and I'll start a new thread about when they will be available after I get mine back.

He will build a nice piece, no doubt.
That's awesome.. Ull definitely keep an eye out for that.. And do you have any wisdom about my clipons issue?

Old January 24th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #94
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I don't really see why you need to go full lock with absolutely no clearance issues. The only time you go lock is when you are scooting forward or backwards. Mine had clearance issues and was fine for daily driving. My friend's r6 has clearance issues and it hasn't been a problem.

However from the look of it (hard to tell) you may have your levers angled too far up.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 24th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #95
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
I don't really see why you need to go full lock with absolutely no clearance issues. The only time you go lock is when you are scooting forward or backwards. Mine had clearance issues and was fine for daily driving. My friend's r6 has clearance issues and it hasn't been a problem.

However from the look of it (hard to tell) you may have your levers angled too far up.
Clearance issue isn't exactly a problem like u said unless I need to turn the bike around in a tight spot.. But now that I have shaved the visor I'm not having that problem anymore.

And the angle can't be changed much because right now the risers are flush with the triple. So I barely have any room to change the angle.. And since I'm not the only one with clearance issues I feel so much better.. Thank u for that.

Old January 24th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #96
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Old January 24th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #97
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

But I must say.. The difference in ride quality is immense.. It feels really different and almost intuitive.

Old January 24th, 2014, 10:29 PM   #98
old3
ninjette.org sage

Um, I ride some gymkahana type stuff and go full lock in tight circles and figure 8s all the time. I'd not be interested in anything like your clip ons.

Sorry, I've got nothing good to say about that situation. I'd be interested in the exact opposite of those, more leverage and less back contortion. Full tuck is useful in track riding when competing or trying for the best lap times at higher speeds. That bar kit I posted above is my ideal set up. Easier steering, more control at speeds these bike actually go, under 90MPH for the most part.

I've got a dirt/supermoto background. Lots of street/road exclusive guys don't get it. I use my legs as much as my arms when tossing the bike around. Anything that exaggerates the riding position away from a position I am comfortable in and have max leverage over the bike is a negative to me.

I'd go back to stock, and I hate the bar angle of the stock ridiculous bolt on bars. I'd far prefer the regular handle bars and have some adjustment in height, rotation and the different bends that are available to find the right position.

I usually ran "superbike" bars on my street bikes and adjusted height with riser blocks if needed. Make the bike fit you, not the opposite is my preference. If that is your ideal position, that is up to you. It wouldn't agree with me at all.

Old January 24th, 2014, 10:35 PM   #99
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

@old3 completely different styles of riding. Each has it's merits and own particular setup

Old January 24th, 2014, 10:43 PM   #100
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
@old3 completely different styles of riding. Each has it's merits and own particular setup
Absolutely. If I was riding around exclusively at speeds over 90-100 MPH I'd want to be rotated forward to get out of the air. My bike is street ridden, and sees everything from "performance" riding at 8 MPH to country roads at 60 MPH to highways at 75 MPH. These bikes don't really lend themselves to hyper speed riding, but everyone has a different use for their bikes.

I fear many do this type of mod as they think it is "sport" style and must be better. I'd venture a guess for most it isn't and in fact is probably worse than stock. Your results may vary.

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #101
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Absolutely. If I was riding around exclusively at speeds over 90-100 MPH I'd want to be rotated forward to get out of the air. My bike is street ridden, and sees everything from "performance" riding at 8 MPH to country roads at 60 MPH to highways at 75 MPH. These bikes don't really lend themselves to hyper speed riding, but everyone has a different use for their bikes.

I fear many do this type of mod as they think it is "sport" style and must be better. I'd venture a guess for most it isn't and in fact is probably worse than stock. Your results may vary.
Honestly. The biggest reason for me to change the clipons was not coz of the ride quality. i was happy with stock. the biggest reason to upgrade was to install the preload adjusters

also after installing the shock the ride height has reduced. i feel closer to the ground but my footpegs touch the ground all the more faster. so im thinking of shaving a bit off the footpeg sliders and then eventually getting a yoshi rear set bracket.

@ old yep it totally differs depending on riding styles. although for tourin i can bet those regular handlebars would be a godsend

Old January 25th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #102
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Quote:

Ah sorry for the misunderstanding. I got ya now

Old January 25th, 2014, 09:07 AM   #103
old3
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Honestly. The biggest reason for me to change the clipons was not coz of the ride quality. i was happy with stock. the biggest reason to upgrade was to install the preload adjusters

also after installing the shock the ride height has reduced. i feel closer to the ground but my footpegs touch the ground all the more faster. so im thinking of shaving a bit off the footpeg sliders and then eventually getting a yoshi rear set bracket.

@ old yep it totally differs depending on riding styles. although for tourin i can bet those regular handlebars would be a godsend
I've got the SV Racing rear sets, (that was how I cyber met Blair, the guy building the brake parts for us) and found them to be excellent fit, finish and structural strength. I drag them in only the most extreme conditions. Shifting and braking feel/precision also is awesome. Very tight tolerances in these parts. Give them a look too.

For my favorite riding, which is tight, twisty mountain roads with constant left to right steering transitions, those true full bars would be ideal. I'm still on the fence about keeping this bike and finishing the front end conversion I started. The last thing I want to do is hack the fairings then try to sell it off if the 390s are available here and as good as I hope they will be.

Old January 25th, 2014, 09:13 AM   #104
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I've got the SV Racing rear sets, (that was how I cyber met Blair, the guy building the brake parts for us) and found them to be excellent fit, finish and structural strength. I drag them in only the most extreme conditions. Shifting and braking feel/precision also is awesome. Very tight tolerances in these parts. Give them a look too.

For my favorite riding, which is tight, twisty mountain roads with constant left to right steering transitions, those true full bars would be ideal. I'm still on the fence about keeping this bike and finishing the front end conversion I started. The last thing I want to do is hack the fairings then try to sell it off if the 390s are available here and as good as I hope they will be.
the less i say about the 390 the better it is.. i mean fine its got better low end torque but compared to the 300 it feels very awkward. and im not too sure about the long term reliability on those things if you are getting the ones manufactured here. the company BAJAJ who is manufacturing the 390's is notorious for BAD BAD BAD quality control. we are seeing so many issues with the 200 and already bad cold starts oil leaks and abs issues on the 390. id be very careful if was you.

oh and ill surely have a look at the sv rearsets.

Old January 25th, 2014, 09:16 AM   #105
old3
ninjette.org sage

I've got a 20 year history racing the Austrian KTMs, but yes, I know little to nothing about Bajaj so I'm very skeptical. If the bikes are close to what "real" KTMs are, it'll be OK. They have little oddities and don't suffer fools well in my experience. You really have to read the bikes and the manuals very closely.

Have you ridden the 390?

Old January 25th, 2014, 09:21 AM   #106
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I've got a 20 year history racing the Austrian KTMs, but yes, I know little to nothing about Bajaj so I'm very skeptical. If the bikes are close to what "real" KTMs are, it'll be OK. They have little oddities and don't suffer fools well in my experience. You really have to read the bikes and the manuals very closely.

Have you ridden the 390?
yup i have. its really really powerful for a single cyl. but after riding the 300 it feels a little bland. and experience will definitely help you with that. its just that even the guy who was servicing it said that the people in the assembly line have made a lot of mistakes. including fitting the scavenger oil filer for eg.

Old January 25th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #107
old3
ninjette.org sage

Hopefully they get the quality control up on the India assembly line. KTM Austria was very good at changing things midyear if necessary and retrofitting the new parts to the already built engines when problems were discovered. They also made errors now and then like a reversed seal on a water pump at original assembly. Put a human in the equation and stuff will happen.

I was worried the scooter DNA might be too strong on these. That is a shame if it is that bad. KTM has built a pretty good rep in the off road community in the USA.

Old January 25th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #108
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hopefully they get the quality control up on the India assembly line. KTM Austria was very good at changing things midyear if necessary and retrofitting the new parts to the already built engines when problems were discovered. They also made errors now and then like a reversed seal on a water pump at original assembly. Put a human in the equation and stuff will happen.

I was worried the scooter DNA might be too strong on these. That is a shame if it is that bad. KTM has built a pretty good rep in the off road community in the USA.
the bike is terrific. no two thoughts about it. id still say go for it. its the first time an international level bike is being manufactured in India. i shoull cut my own country some slack :P

Old January 25th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #109
old3
ninjette.org sage

If it ends up being close to the Ninja, I won't bother to get one. If it has a real advantage, I might but not if it is a crappy build or has junky parts. I've already fought thru most of that on the 300!

If it was a pure Austrian KTM I would have put down a cash deposit last year when it was announced.

Old January 25th, 2014, 11:01 AM   #110
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
If it ends up being close to the Ninja, I won't bother to get one. If it has a real advantage, I might but not if it is a crappy build or has junky parts. I've already fought thru most of that on the 300!

If it was a pure Austrian KTM I would have put down a cash deposit last year when it was announced.
hahaha. i had initially booked the 390 only but then when in heard of all the issues i shifted to the 300 even thought it cost me twice as much. :S
how much is it going for over there?

Old January 25th, 2014, 11:13 AM   #111
old3
ninjette.org sage

They stated the bikes would be under or around $6500 as I recall. Still no release date, and knowing KTM we may never see these bikes at all. Who knows? If nothing else maybe they will get all the bugs out of them before they appear here?

Did you ride the Duke or the RC 390? There are spy shots of a SM version floating around now too, with hopes of a DS or Adv style from many I know.

I can't imagine it being bland compared to the 300, which is about as bland as I can stand already!

Old January 25th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #112
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
They stated the bikes would be under or around $6500 as I recall. Still no release date, and knowing KTM we may never see these bikes at all. Who knows? If nothing else maybe they will get all the bugs out of them before they appear here?

Did you ride the Duke or the RC 390? There are spy shots of a SM version floating around now too, with hopes of a DS or Adv style from many I know.

I can't imagine it being bland compared to the 300, which is about as bland as I can stand already!
hahaha. i meant bland for me :P i guess im not a big fan of DS bikes.

and i rode the 390. its available for 3200 usd and the 300 is for 6400 usd on road pricing

Old January 25th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #113
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Something to this effect?

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:10 PM   #114
old3
ninjette.org sage

You rode the RC390 or the Duke 390? I'm missing it, sorry.

Were you able to open it up? Did it revout well? Good top end? Lighter feeling than the 300? Brakes good?

Do they offer a DS version there already? I haven't seen one in pics yet.

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:12 PM   #115
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
You rode the RC390 or the Duke 390? I'm missing it, sorry.

Were you able to open it up? Did it revout well? Good top end? Lighter feeling than the 300? Brakes good?

Do they offer a DS version there already? I haven't seen one in pics yet.
i rode the duke 390.

brakes are absolutely epic. radial mounted calipers. handling is amazing. doesn't feel as smooth as the 300 though. yeah i opened it up. 1st gear is even shorter than a stock 300 :S. and yes it definitely feels nimble but i haven't had a chance to ride it after i got the 300. ill borrow one form a friend and see how it feels as compared to the 300 now

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #116
old3
ninjette.org sage

It'd be great if you could post up a lil comparison thread for everyone here in the USA if you can get one to ride. I'd probably lean towards the Duke over the RC myself if I get the choice. I had a 640 Duke 2 and several KTM and Husky supermotos. They just work better on the busted tar around where I ride in the north east USA.

Thanks!

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:24 PM   #117
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It'd be great if you could post up a lil comparison thread for everyone here in the USA if you can get one to ride. I'd probably lean towards the Duke over the RC myself if I get the choice. I had a 640 Duke 2 and several KTM and Husky supermotos. They just work better on the busted tar around where I ride in the north east USA.

Thanks!
well maybe this would help

http://www.motorbeam.com/bikes/kawas...-300-shootout/

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:27 PM   #118
old3
ninjette.org sage

I read that but honestly didn't buy most of their observations. Cultural differences maybe but it didn't come off very trustworthy?

quoted from the article, "The Kawasaki Ninja 300 is almost faultless when it comes to built quality with fit and finish levels being truly top notch in every way".

Seriously? LoL!

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:29 PM   #119
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I read that but honestly didn't buy most of their observations. Cultural differences maybe but it didn't come off very trustworthy?
hahahaha so i wasnt the only one who thought so :P. i thought i was being biased towards the 300 :P

ok so what ill do is ill ride the 390 and draw a comparison(unbiased) and post it up here.
although i dont have the abs version of the 300 so braking would be a little difficult to compare. other things should be easy.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 26th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #120
shadewalker
ninjette.org member

Just a random shot from today's ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG2350_1.jpg (129.0 KB, 7 views)