ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 14th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #1
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Help me find a gauge cluster

I've gotten a bit of a bug to put a dash with a digital speedo on the 500. However, I'm quite picky about the details of the dash. I haven't been able to find anything that meets my requirements completely, though a few items have come pretty close.

Here's the stocker for reference.

• I prefer an analog tach. At the very least, I'd want a digital tach with a sweeping bar - a big locational indicator of the RPMs. I've seen a few digital tachs that simply display a number, which I absolutely do not want.
  • I want the tach to match the engine. The stocker goes up to 13K, with the red zone starting at 11K. You generally don't want to run it over 10.5K, so there's a bit of leeway there. However, I don't want the red to start at 7K or the tach to go up to 20K, as I've seen on some of the eBay options.
  • I'd like for it to support all the OEM warning/indicator lights. It has the neutral light, an oil pressure light, high beam indicator, directional turn signal indicators (one for each side), and a coolant temp gauge. As stupid as it sounds, I really want the turn signal indicators for each side, rather than a single one. I could manage with the single, but I just prefer two.
  • I'd rather it didn't have extra stuff. Most newer bikes with a digital speedo are FI, so their gauges usually have a fuel gauge and often an FI indicator light. I could deal with those if the gauge is completely LCD and can simply be not shown, but some of them have the gauge itself printed on the face, and only the level is on the LCD. I don't want a bunch of stuff showing all the time that can't possibly be used on my bike.
  • I'd prefer it to be cheap. I got looking at this stuff again because the Chinese eBay gauges are dirt cheap. I'll pay for an OEM or brand name gauge if it's exactly what I want, but I'd rather not spend $300+ if I'm not going to be completely happy with it.
  • I'd prefer it not be just a big LCD screen with everything shown on that. The TransLogic Micro Dash and Trail Tech Vapor cover most of my requirements, but I prefer a "cluster of gauges" (especially with varying colors for RPM/temp/etc. ranges and such) look over a single LCD screen.

Here are some options I've looked at.
  • http://www.ebay.com/itm/190930964569 is one that I like quite a bit. I'm hoping that I could change out the red backlight, and it doesn't seem to have a temp gauge. I realize I could get a separate temp gauge, but that takes away from the clean look. Many of these eBay ones also include a speed sensor, which I would need to replace the cable setup.
  • http://www.ebay.com/itm/181177838133 is a Koso RX-2N knockoff that's pretty close. The 15K tach is more ideal than the 10K or 20K options on the real RX-2N. This also seems to be lacking a temp gauge.
  • http://www.ebay.com/itm/400465159972 is a knockoff of the RX-1N. I'm not super fond of this one, but it doesn't seem to have any major issues other than the lack of a temp gauge.
  • I like the tach on the RX-2, but I don't like the big physical spot for the fuel gauge or the single turn signal indicator.
  • I like the early-mid '00s ZX-6/Z750S/Z1000 gauge. http://www.bluegauges.com/motorcycle/kawasaki.htm has some pics of it with various color swaps. My biggest issue is that the ones with the matching RPM range have a red face, which doesn't match my bike at all. I'd prefer a tach needle, but this bar setup is ok. They seem to have aftermarket white indiglo faces available, but that's extra cost and I actually prefer black faces over white. These are quite expensive being OEM, plus extra cost to change the face and/or backlight color.
  • http://www.ebay.com/itm/191097211334 is a similar knockoff. The backlight seems to flood the whole gauge face, and I don't like the fuel gauge stuff. Once again, single turn signal indicator and no temp gauge.
  • The '14 Ninja 1000 dash is pretty nice. My biggest complaint is the fuel gauge markings on the face. I expect it to be fairly rare/expensive right now too.
  • The newer Ninja 650 gauge isn't bad either. I don't especially love it (not sure why), but it doesn't seem to have any major faults either.
  • I've seen a few other brands' dash setups that don't look too bad. However, a lot of them have the brand name right on the gauge face or something, so it would look really weird to have it on a Ninja.

So do any of you, with your more expansive bike knowledge, have any great suggestions for bikes with dashes I might like?

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Last futzed with by InvisiBill; July 14th, 2014 at 11:04 AM.
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 06:01 AM   #2
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

The Translogic Micro Dash is my current want. Not sure how customizable it is with regard to removing things like the fuel gauge, actually I don't think it has a fuel gauge, just a "fuel low" indication. If you don't hook it up it probably doesn't show up.

It has indicator lights across the top. It's fairly hard to find details on it though. There doesn't seem to be any detailed reviews of it out there.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

I've used the Trail Tech Vapor with good results. Digital speedo and bar tach with computer (temp, time, telltales, etc), with adjustable speedo input, adjustable warning lights for RPM, temp, etc. About $130. Easy mounting, magnetic speedo pickup, weighs practically nothing.

Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #4
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I have seen both of those, but forgot to mention them. The TransLogic looks pretty cool, but I don't like the way the gear indicator seems to be a major focus of it (probably more useful on a track bike than a street bike). Some of these kits with speedo and tach do calculate the gear for you, but if it needs input from the bike's sensor, that's another thing I don't have (though I've tinkered a bit with adding one). The $350-$500 pricetag isn't as nice either.

The Vapor is pretty much the go-to dash on naked 500s. I'm actually helping a member on the other forum work out his wiring issues with one. It's not bad, but I'd prefer not to get the gauges where it's basically just one big LCD screen for everything (applicable to both of these options).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just really picky about little things that most people don't even notice. Keep the ideas coming!

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old July 15th, 2014, 02:56 PM   #5
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

If you like the 2014 ninja 1000 gauge why not give the 11 a look. They are essentially the same bike, the 14 i think has power modes, abs, tc and coolant temp. The rest of the features i think are the same. Ive seen a few of the 11's being parted out on riderforums
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2014, 05:31 PM   #6
fleemos
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ6R, 2014 Suzuki GSX-R600

The Koso RX-1N has separate turn signal indicators, that might be an option.
fleemos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 16th, 2014, 05:18 AM   #7
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
If you like the 2014 ninja 1000 gauge why not give the 11 a look. They are essentially the same bike, the 14 i think has power modes, abs, tc and coolant temp. The rest of the features i think are the same. Ive seen a few of the 11's being parted out on riderforums
They might've used that same gauge for a few years. Based on Google images, the '11 and '12 look pretty darn close, and seem to be available with or without ABS. If they've been around a few years, they might be more accessible and cheaper. My big gripe is still the fuel gauge markings right on the tach face (even if I can completely disable the fuel gauge LCD).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleemos View Post
The Koso RX-1N has separate turn signal indicators, that might be an option.
Yeah, the knockoff is almost identical, other than the lack of temp gauge, from what I can tell. This design isn't bad, but it just doesn't light my fire either. Not sure what it is about it - maybe that all the indicator lights are sort of crammed into that box on the side... *shrug* It also bugs me a bit that the knockoff is $60 while the Koso is $360. I'm sure the Koso is higher quality, but it feels like I'm paying $300 for a temp gauge. I don't really need the big shift light either.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191135932581 is one of these knockoffs for $46 (about the cheapest I can find). I might try it out (I've wasted more money on stupider things...) just to see how I like that style - I don't like the blue backlight or the tach's redzone starting so low, but it would give me an idea how well I liked the general style. The wiring instructions do list a connection for water temp, but I'm not sure if that's a digital number gauge (to replace my analog gauge) or just a warning light (which probably wouldn't work with the stock setup).

Old September 1st, 2014, 04:09 PM   #8
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
I fell into a new project, and ended up ordering one of the cheap RX-1N knockoffs for that. I haven't actually installed it, but I did temporarily hook it up to a battery to test it. Here are some thoughts on it.

The first thing that jumped out at me is how small it is. The whole thing is about the same size as my hand. It's about half as wide as my 500's stock gauge cluster. If you cut off the section with the right turn signal, it's about the same size as an iPhone 5. The tach face is 66mm in diameter, compared to about 94mm on my 500. I read the measurements on the page, but it just looks really small in person. It could be a little hard to read on a bike at speed. It seems to pretty well match the real RX-1N's measurements though.

It's got black faces, which I prefer over white, with no red zone on the tach (it seems most of them had really weird red ranges). I might use a Sharpie or something on the back of the gauge face to add my own red zone.

You can switch the bar gauge between fuel and temperature.

It includes a magnetic speed sensor. I don't know if I'll be able to make it work with this Honda's existing speed sensor on the transmission (not sure if I can configure the distance low enough to match the pulses from the trans). The Koso is configurable for 1 or 6 pulses per rotation, which I think would be compatible.

It's pretty configurable, once you figure out the Engrish on the auction page. You can set the wheel circumference (1xxx to 2xxx mm) to calibrate the speedometer. You can set the oil sensor for 100 or 500 ohm (though the Koso is selectable for the fuel gauge, not oil pressure). It's switchable between kph and mph. It's also switchable between "2 cylinder / 4 cylinder", which I think is 2-stroke/4-stroke for proper tach readings.

It sounds like it's a bit customizable if you contact the seller ("Please list your special requests (color, packages, etc.) in the PAYPAL NOTES SECTION when you make payment."), but the pics on the page don't exactly match each other or the specific item I received. Some of the pics show a "Check Engine" icon, but mine has a "P" there (for "hand brake parking lights"?). The neutral "N" icon isn't actually wired up (the wiring diagram in fact doesn't mention the N light) even though it's shown lit up in at least one pic. I'm going to contact them about exchanging/modifying it to use N instead of P, which would make it pretty much perfect for this project (though still a little bit off for my 500).

For a Chinese item with free shipping, it got here quickly. I ordered it 8/18, it showed up in the USPS tracking system 8/20, it went through Customs 8/23, and was delivered 8/28. It actually spent more time going through the US than it was in China.

This is definitely a cheap Chinese knockoff. It's hard to figure out exactly what you're getting with all these generic eBay auctions, as even the different pics on the same page don't always match. I had a hard time finding something that didn't conflict with my (admittedly quite picky) list of requirements. However, it might be a good way to cheaply test if you'd like a Koso before dropping a huge chunk of cash on a real one.

Old September 4th, 2014, 11:40 AM   #9
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Koso doesn't have a red line either. IIRC, you put in a setting and the LEDs that light up as the needle passes would set the red line range. Either that or the multi-function light would come on.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #10
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Koso doesn't have a red line either. IIRC, you put in a setting and the LEDs that light up as the needle passes would set the red line range. Either that or the multi-function light would come on.
Yeah, that I don't have a problem with. Even on this one where it doesn't show any red zone indicator at all, at least I should be able to color it myself if I really want it. I do have an issue with a weird redline marking that doesn't match the engine I'm pairing it with. http://www.ebay.com/itm/350931996293 is one example. The tach goes up to 15K and red zone starts at 7K, and there's not really any way to undo it. That's just way too mismatched for me, when the stocker's red zone is from 11K - 13K.

This isn't especially relevant to the 250 (I was really just grasping for more general bike/dash knowledge, to see if someone happened to know about some bike with a dash that perfectly matched what I was looking for), but I figured I'd toss up my thoughts on the cheap eBay gauge since I mentioned them, and recently acquired one. I always prefer to have more info available when researching something, so hopefully my mini-review helps someone out in the future.

I also stumbled across the VFR1200 guage. I'm not sure how well it would fit in the 500's dash, but I like the overall setup of it. It seems to have all the details I want, without too much extra junk getting in the way.

Old September 5th, 2014, 02:28 PM   #11
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I went with a somewhat older style cluster. A 92 zx7 lol. Analog everything. I haven't researched the digital conversion but I have seen it done before. The gauges are almost plug and play I think. Well at least in mine it was. I just had to repin and solder some lines together.

Old September 5th, 2014, 06:21 PM   #12
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Maybe this could be an option http://www.acewell-meter.com/c0_1.php?pid=18&bid=16
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2014, 04:29 AM   #13
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somchai View Post
That's pretty close to what I'm looking for. My biggest complaint is the overall size. The whole gauge unit is just over 5" wide (the size of a CD), whereas the stock gauge cluster is over twice that. No sense getting something that's harder to see if it only takes up half the available space (as opposed to actually wanting/needing a smaller dash). The pic shows a 15K tach, but there's a 12K version of it too (less extra RPM range means more sweep in the ranges you're actually using). The fuel gauge can be completely hidden if you don't use it. The tire circumference can be adjusted over a very wide range. It has a built-in voltage meter/warning too. A quick Google search doesn't seem to bring up much about actually buying it though. There's one in AU on eBay for $335 shipped, so I'm guessing they're closer to Koso in pricing than to the cheap Chinese stuff.

Another option I've been considering is trying to find just a universal digital speedometer to add on. Sort of like http://www.acewell-meter.com/c0_1.php?pid=14&bid=14, though that still has a few extras on it. I'm a bit surprised that I haven't found any plain digital hall-sensor speedos on eBay actually, though I guess if you want a speedo, you probably want the rest of the dash functions too.

Or I could just get a GPS-HUD speedo for $67 to cover the digital speedo plus some extra geekery with the HUD. I like having the speedo tied to the bike's mechanicals and dislike the lag of GPS calculated speed, but it would probably be a whole lot easier than trying to find the perfect replacement gauge cluster.

Old February 9th, 2015, 01:39 PM   #14
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Small update on my gauge search...

I haven't done anything at all with the RX-1N knockoff on the Honda project. It's still 100% in the same state as my last post about it.

I did buy one of the GPS HUD speedos from Amazon.

It works really great, except that it doesn't work at all. The device performs exactly like it should, and I've used it in several cars. It includes a little square of window tint to help the HUD show up better. Without it, you sometimes get a slight shadow image from the multiple layers of glass in the windshield. As you can see from the pic, it looks pretty good on my ZG dark smoke screen.

However, in normal riding position, your line of vision is pretty much parallel to the windscreen when you're looking down at the gauges. The only way you can see the HUD reflecting off the screen is if you have your chin resting on the tank/bars (think super-tucked) or if you're laying back on the seat with your head over the taillight. I might try to hang the piece of tint off the screen at a different angle and see if I can work something out. Or maybe just fab up my own non-reversed LED number display for it rather than using it as a HUD. Other than the viewing angle issue, I do like it.

It's a cool little device, but I suggest getting one of the free HUD speedo smartphone apps and testing the angle of reflection with your bike/position before spending $60+ on one of these.

I also found another cheap gauge cluster design on eBay that I mostly like. http://www.ebay.com/itm/161575269982 As with most of these cheap Chinese gauges, there are several variations of them. Some have a gear indicator on the right part of the LCD, while some have a temperature gauge there. The fuel gauge is on the left, but is completely LCD (so hopefully it could be completely hidden). The relatively large analog tach is front and center, and the redline seems to match my engine. Some of them have the sweeping LEDs around the edge too. One of them is even cable-driven, rather than using magnetic sensors for the speedo.

I just recently realized that these are knockoffs of the CBR250R gauge. https://tandoorandtravel.files.wordp...-cbr250r-3.jpg

The UFO shape is a little weird for the 500's dash. Like a lot of the other gauges, it looks to be quite a bit smaller than the stock gauges. The blue splash in the center of the tach looks totally out of place to me. I'm not a huge fan of the silver trim, though it wouldn't look bad on my black/silver bike.

It looks like the CBR300R uses the same gauge, but all black.

I think I prefer the blue/white backlight on the LCD, but otherwise I really like that. The biggest challenge would be having it fit/look right on the 500 I think. I'll probably swing by a local dealership in the near future to check one out in person.