Old July 13th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #81
adri99an
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
i really don't know what all the drama is with you guys.your acting like 600's and 1000's are the tool of the devil.if you have a brain and throttle control you can ride anything.i have a gsxr 1000 and i can ride it in 6th gear at 3000 rpm and it is completely docile,but i have the safety feature of a lot of torque and power when i need it- it has great tires,suspension and brakes-it is also very light-the riding position is not bad also.i have a 1/4 turn throttle and i'm in no danger of spinning the tire and wheelying unless i want to.i'm diggin the 250,it's a blast,but almost a novelty to me.the ninja is so slow i think it could be dangerous for some riders-so grow up-if you can't control your right hand you have no business on a motorcycle-and by the way-in 15 years of racing and doing track days i have never seen a ninja 250 out perform a 600 or 1000 over a 20min.session-i don't care who is riding it -a tz250 or a rs250 no doubt,but they have twice the hp and 1/2 the weight-if you are smoking some guy on a 600 in your group,he needs to be moved to the c group-you guys need to ride a friends bike or test ride a bigger bike-you will find out for yourself it's not a big deal to move up to something more powerful-what is the real reason you are all afraid to move up?-i really,really don't get it.

I'm considering going bigger...been looking around...love the 250 (had it since 09) but one knows when it is time.....I rode 600s 10+ years ago so I totally am in agreement with you.....and FYI my wrist control is amazing
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 05:31 AM   #82
almost40
ninjette.org Monkey Spank

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R Track-Bike Woodcraft clip-ons and rearsets FZ-6 track bike

Quote:
i really don't know what all the drama is with you guys.your acting like 600's and 1000's are the tool of the devil.if you have a brain and throttle control you can ride anything.i have a gsxr 1000 and i can ride it in 6th gear at 3000 rpm and it is completely docile,but i have the safety feature of a lot of torque and power when i need it- it has great tires,suspension and brakes-it is also very light-the riding position is not bad also.i have a 1/4 turn throttle and i'm in no danger of spinning the tire and wheelying unless i want to.i'm diggin the 250,it's a blast,but almost a novelty to me.the ninja is so slow i think it could be dangerous for some riders-so grow up-if you can't control your right hand you have no business on a motorcycle-and by the way-in 15 years of racing and doing track days i have never seen a ninja 250 out perform a 600 or 1000 over a 20min.session-i don't care who is riding it -a tz250 or a rs250 no doubt,but they have twice the hp and 1/2 the weight-if you are smoking some guy on a 600 in your group,he needs to be moved to the c group-you guys need to ride a friends bike or test ride a bigger bike-you will find out for yourself it's not a big deal to move up to something more powerful-what is the real reason you are all afraid to move up?-i really,really don't get it.
they arent the tools of the devil............BUT they will put you in the hospital in a hurry if you dont have any experience.
almost40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #83
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I'd be interested to see this same subject covered again in 10 years to see the responses from some of the same people. I've had the 600's and the 1000's and could hang with anyone around here on public streets while being well over triple the speed limits and now at a still young 32 years of age I have a Yamaha FJR and a 2009 Ninja 250 and loving every minute of each of them. I used to go out in groups of over a 100 at times and we would brag when we stopped for a bite to eat about how many times and long we maintained 160+ mph. I guess my priorities have adjusted and that kind of speed on the streets is just not important to me any more. I've dodged my fair share of farmers with shovels, my fair share of life changing tickets, and my share of close calls. I choose now to enjoy life a little more on the "slower" side... if that is what you want to call it.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:04 AM   #84
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
I choose now to enjoy life a little more on the "slower" side... if that is what you want to call it.
If you are that old, its time to buy a cruiser.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #85
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
If you are that old, its time to buy a cruiser.
NEEEEEVER....

I hate cruisers...

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #86
coondog
ninjette.org sage

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ninja 250 street fighter, 2008 street fighter ninja 500, 2001 nsr 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Depends on your definition of "usefulness".

I commute on a 19 year old gixxer 750. We're talking 40-80 minute commute times in stop and go traffic here. She does just fine. The only minor issue I have is that she tends to over heat when standing still due to all of the freakin' plastic covering the radiator and the engine. That's nothing a manual fan switch couldn't fix, though. I went fancy with the switch and that mod cost me $1.50

Is it as easy to ride as a ninja 250 in traffic? Not quite. It's larger and heavier, for one thing. The seating position doesn't lend itself well to laziness either. Gotta be fit and sharp to be able to hold a leaned over position while crawling in traffic for 40 minutes without getting sloppy. But it sure is nice not to have to downshift everytime I want to cut someone off, though.
one of the finest and most underappreciated bikes ever! Even today, and you've got a classic, awesome. another mod i like is the "cool bag" radiator cap which in searching for have found they're as outdated as me. I go to super moto gear for problems, for you a high pressure moto universal radiater cap would stop the over heating (help) as well. Luck, if you need it.
coondog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #87
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Quote:
Good post

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:41 AM   #88
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Quote:
Explain to us poor losers how more speed is a safety feature? This is the third or fourth time you've said that or something similar. Last time I checked, in a bad situation, 99% of the time the brakes are your best weapon. The times when you "need to accelerate out of a problem" are very very rare, and likely a result of a bad decision.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 09:47 AM   #89
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Explain to us poor losers how more speed is a safety feature? This is the third or fourth time you've said that or something similar. Last time I checked, in a bad situation, 99% of the time the brakes are your best weapon. The times when you "need to accelerate out of a problem" are very very rare, and likely a result of a bad decision.
He was talking not about the extra speed, but the extra torque and power available. While having the option of very fast acceleration can be quite beneficial for skilled riders, it can be deadly for the inexperienced ones. Thus it is both a safety feature, and a way to kill yourself - depends on your experience at the moment.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:29 AM   #90
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
90% of the time I accelerate out of a problem. Although, I rarely ever have a problem. I can forsee most idiots and their actions. It comes with experience.

I truly feel bad that you consider yourself a "poor loser" however; realization is the first step.

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #91
rockNroll

Quote:
The times when you "need to accelerate out of a problem" are very very rare, and likely a result of a bad decision.
If you have the torque, you can use it on a regular basis to move you and your bike away from a position you don't like, away from a group of morning phone texters that you have observed driving distracted or even to quickly jump ahead of someone who doesn't see you and is now changing into your lane. Using the power of a motorcycle to prevent getting into a jam can be a good thing, and not a poor decision. On my way to work in the morning in 75mph traffic, I'd prefer to twist the throttle and quickly zoom away from a distracted driver rather than grab a hand full of brakes and get asspacked by minivan. I probably use throttle to avoid trouble more than brakes. People who say using the power of a motorcycle to prevent a sticky situation is a bad decision, crutch or shows lack of skills are fools, ignorant on the subject, or just like to munch sour grapes.

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:42 AM   #92
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

There are so many factors to this thread. For me on the 250 my lower end gets squished when I ride and let me tell you it HURTS even if I'm not going over a bump, when I do i have had to pull over because of that pain you get.

As for some of the comments about sloppy shifting and so forth, IMO I ride to be as precise as possible, no matter what size I'm riding; here in Canada we get 5 months of riding time, so we like to have as much fun as possible and do not worry about gas mileage.
As for the capability to pass and fly through traffic it's much safer on a 600 because if your being stupid at least you have the power to make those stupid decisions sometimes...Not smart, but personal choice.
Lately I've found myself ALWAYS being above 8 rpm and I still can't get the pull I would like. When I cruise around and there isn't any traffic, just accelerating and going fast is something that's fun, and I believe a lot of people who ride would agree.

Unless the only reason people have a bike is to have cheap commuting maybe a sport bike or some discussions about bikes aren't relevant to your purpose (not talking about anyone in this thread, but I've seen it before) A lot of people like to ride to have fun, and sometimes having fun is being a bit stupid and getting adrenaline; twisting the throttle on a 250 isn't adrenaline packed.
Now being a 250 owner I LOVE this bike because it is easy to handle and throw into corners, but being a human being I like to experience new and different things. No maybe a 600 isn't smart in some people's opinions, but how do we know the 600 owners on they're forums aren't having discussions about 750's and 1000's + and why you should or shouldn't get them and they have the same reasoning as we do.
I do not recommend starting on a 600 because you do have to learn the fundamentals of riding and cornering most importantly and on a 600 there is MUCH more room for error. Plus all the available power makes the inexperienced even more tempted to "try it out" But I believe if a rider has learned on a smaller displacement bike riding a 600 should be a great opportunity.

Now yeah, for some the 250 is MUCH better than a 600, maybe it will be for me too.
Lots of people have had 600+ bikes and got a 250 for whatever reason (maybe new experience) and love it much more

My point is I do not defend either side. Both have advantages and disadvantages depending on who you are and how good of a rider you are and so on.

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #93
blink
Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockNroll View Post
If you have the torque, you can use it on a regular basis to move you and your bike away from a position you don't like, away from a group of morning phone texters that you have observed driving distracted or even to quickly jump ahead of someone who doesn't see you and is now changing into your lane. Using the power of a motorcycle to prevent getting into a jam can be a good thing, and not a poor decision. On my way to work in the morning in 75mph traffic, I'd prefer to twist the throttle and quickly zoom away from a distracted driver rather than grab a hand full of brakes and get asspacked by minivan. I probably use throttle to avoid trouble more than brakes. People who say using the power of a motorcycle to prevent a sticky situation is a bad decision, crutch or shows lack of skills are fools, ignorant on the subject, or just like to munch sour grapes.
I do agree. Depending on the factors and the riders skill, it can be very useful to throttle. I do not want to start getting into cars and **** because they are MUCH different in every way, but instructors do tell you "it is sometimes better to accelerate then to brake for various reasons" Now in my MSF they did also say this. Even the instructors were driving BMW's and yzfr6's. Just because throttle makes you go instead of stop, sometimes stopping isn't the best idea. Think what you think, but it is true.
No you cannot rely on power to save you, but you surely shouldn't always rely on the brakes, just like some drivers think letting go of the wheel will save them all the time. An experienced rider will have complete knowledge about using the gas and brakes together to ride safely.

Old July 14th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #94
blink
Always.

Quote:
Good post

Old July 14th, 2011, 02:06 PM   #95
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by coondog View Post
one of the finest and most underappreciated bikes ever! Even today, and you've got a classic, awesome. another mod i like is the "cool bag" radiator cap which in searching for have found they're as outdated as me. I go to super moto gear for problems, for you a high pressure moto universal radiater cap would stop the over heating (help) as well. Luck, if you need it.
Hrmm I'm gonna have to look into this mod. My bike gets pretty toasty out there

Thanks for the tips! God only knows I"m always looking for some new stuff to dabble in.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 02:53 PM   #96
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Quote:
I dont know much about being on the road on a motorcycle but my common sense would tell me, Why would i want to be in front of people not paying attention i rather drop back then get rear ended. And id stay as far as i can so i would not drive parallel if there is room, If there is not im pretty sure brake and swerve would be better but you need skill for that right.

So how fast are you going if everyone is going 75 when 65 is the limit. That fact is putting everyone in danger. Are you one to be distracted by distracted drivers weeving lane to lane?

fact on motorcycle you need to be defensive because if you depend on throttle to get you out of a jam you might get yourself in your own.
commuting or being a racing squid, Its speed that puts you in the hospital or kills you so its same thing. Speeding on a track is ok, On the street there is never a excuse especially when you are already speeding.

Old July 14th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #97
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
if you have a brain and throttle control you can ride anything.
hah unfortunately there are far too many people in the world who have neither of these.

but i completely agree, if you know how to ride well enough not to do something stupid and don't make poor decisions, being able to easily GTFO of a situation fast is very useful. if you watch for it, it's usually pretty obvious when someone is going to do something stupid before they actually do it. being able to get away from them before they do that stupid thing is pretty nice. and like others have said brakes/slowing down to avoid an issue means not only is that issue still around you, but now you have to allocate more of your attention to what's going on behind you, and you lose some of the attention you can pay to the already known issues in front/beside you

Old July 14th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #98
Werehusky
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninjette(sold), 2011 ZX-10r

Quote:
First it seemed kinda absolute with the PERIOD, now its your outlook on things.
We cant read your mind. I'd like to know a situation where you'd need a literbike more than a 600 to save yourself on the street.
Werehusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 05:14 PM   #99
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werehusky View Post
We cant read your mind. I'd like to know a situation where you'd need a literbike more than a 600 to save yourself on the street.
I can think of one case (which may be a short lived reason) and that is the Ninja ZX-10R currently comes with ABS and the 650 currently doesn't. I don't think they actually still make the 600, but they do have both a Ninja 650 and a Ninja ZX-6R. The 6R has 600ccs, but is a lot more expensive. I have no clue which performs better.

Personally, I will be riding my Ninja 250 until it is no longer rideable or fixable. But when that happens, I will consider other Ninjas.

We aren't talking about girlfriends here. Ninjas don't mind if you ride other bikes.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 05:20 PM   #100
jamesio
ninjette.org guru

Name: Moe

Motorcycle(s): None

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Ninjas don't mind if you ride other bikes.

...or do they

Old July 14th, 2011, 07:31 PM   #101
ratlab
ratlab

Name: reese

Motorcycle(s): gsxr1000,R3x2,RC390,FZ07,XR100

Quote:
if you have to do any kind of evasive move,do you think its better wasting time with banging some downshifts or rolling on throttle and getting out of harms way-milliseconds count in accident avoidance-it's not just motor-it's the whole sum of the parts-suspension,brakes,etc.if you are at full lean on the 250 and there is a pothole that you can't avoid at the apex of a turn,what happens?-i know on a bike with cartridge and usd forks i would be more sure of the outcome-600's are still peaky -your going to have downshift them as well-try a 1000 -you'll like it- i swear
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #102
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
I dont know much about being on the road on a motorcycle but my common sense would tell me, Why would i want to be in front of people not paying attention i rather drop back then get rear ended. And id stay as far as i can so i would not drive parallel if there is room, If there is not im pretty sure brake and swerve would be better but you need skill for that right.

So how fast are you going if everyone is going 75 when 65 is the limit. That fact is putting everyone in danger. Are you one to be distracted by distracted drivers weeving lane to lane?

fact on motorcycle you need to be defensive because if you depend on throttle to get you out of a jam you might get yourself in your own.
commuting or being a racing squid, Its speed that puts you in the hospital or kills you so its same thing. Speeding on a track is ok, On the street there is never a excuse especially when you are already speeding.
This is kinda confusing, try again?

Old July 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM   #103
rockNroll

Quote:
ratlab already hit this, but i never said I needed it to save myself. I said I've needed and used. Please pay attention. Thanks

Old July 14th, 2011, 08:23 PM   #104
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

I dont know whats confusing defensive skill or common sense.

Old July 15th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #105
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i think this kinda has to be broken into two sections... people riding a powerful bike who have proper skillsets for riding those bikes, and people who are new to motorcycles trying to ride something when they can't really handle it properly. for someone who's skilled enough to ride a bike in an aggressive situation i would say they would be better off having everything they ask for from the bike. they probably know what they're asking for, and hopefully know what that bike will give them. but when you're new to riding or have never asked for much out of a motorcycle and don't exactly know how much you need to ask for, or even how much you actually are asking for from a bike, bad things can happen quickly. to have someone who doesn't know what they're asking for be able to receive much more than they can handle leads to these bad things.

i know plenty of people who have been riding for a long time and ride larger displacement bikes, but have never ridden a bike at more than a slow "safe to them" crawl and never go more than 1/8th throttle, and really don't have very good skill when it comes to aggressive or emergency riding. likewise i know people who ride the **** out of their small displacement bikes and are very good at pulling as much as they can out of them.

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #106
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
I dont know whats confusing defensive skill or common sense.
Neither. Your post is.

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:01 AM   #107
Jesse8931
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250r

If I'm on a lager bike I find my self speeding because its easy to. But my dd (ninja 250r) you know if your speeding. When you have a bike capable of 60+ in first you can get in some trouble
Jesse8931 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:15 AM   #108
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
my zzr 600 had double disc brakes with 12 front brake pistons. One time a girl ran a red light on me. I was able to do a stoppie like a pro.Even though I had only been riding for a short period of time. I think the superior brakes and light weight of the super sport saved me that time.
Racer x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:16 AM   #109
Error_mage
ninjette.org member

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R (sold), 2001 Suzuki SV 650S

To be honest a 250 really has all the power you need on a street as you’ll always be able to reach the speed limit. So a 600 or even a 650 is more than you actually need to hit the streets, yet I’m sure most riders would enjoy the additional acceleration and power at times.

As most have already mentioned, new riders should probably stay away from a 600cc because it is potentially more dangerous and smaller bikes can help with essential skill development. However, experienced/skilled riders should be able to use the larger bikes performance to make it as safe/safer at the same speeds. The fact that these bikes tend to travel a bit faster do to various reasons is a different matter entirely =P

Old July 15th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #110
planet-beaver
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Vulcan 500

Some people can control them selfs others don't. I can't. I started riding when I was 12 and always had bikes. In last 5 years I downsized from 1500cc cruiser to Kiwi ZG1000 to Vulcan 500 and now bought 250. Plan on keeping the 500 and 250 for a long time. Did all that to save my life. I have no kids, but as I got older I get goose bumps thinking back how I use to ride. I love acceleration. If I have 100hp, I will use it at least 3-4 times during 50min commute. I would make a promise to my self before jumping on the bike not to ride fast and within 20 minutes I would be doing 130mph merging on the highway. I don't know why. Just could not stop. The feeling of leaving all the cars behind and passing guys on Harleys like they are standing still is just addicting. Had a really close call two years ago and sold my 1000. Now even with Vulcan 500, which has Ninja 500 motor, I still catch my self taking off like mad but at least the bike is slow enough to keep me out of trouble, Love the 250. Just changed my sprockets to 15-42 and now the bike is even slower of the line, which is good thing for me.

Last futzed with by planet-beaver; July 15th, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
planet-beaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #111
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

The 250 is a nice bike. I well overpaid for mine and then crashed it and paid for it again. In that respect, I'm glad I crashed a 250. If I'd have well overpaid something scary like 20K for a literbike gsxr then crashed that, I'd be a sad, sad puppy.

That being said, I've owned five bikes.
3 GSXR's, one R6 and the Ninja 250.
The only one of them I ever crashed was the Ninja 250, it was my third or fourth bike and I (more carefully now) push my limits just about every time I ride. I'm not just riding to commute but also to have fun and push myself. I never took my honda hatchbacks to the tracks either and won't take my bikes there.

It's odd I didn't crash my first GSXR or the squiggly R6. It's odd I had no troubles riding a 600 as my first street bike and never killed myself in los angeles or crashed for that matter until I got a 250. I was scared as hell of my first GSXR and ended up selling it much too soon.

I believe SS bikes are better built to handle mistakes from noobs, without regards to throttle control. Accept in the frame rake department. Experienced riders can benefit from a 250 more than a newb.
I ALMOST did tank slap right off a GSXr once but learned really fast to loosen up and let the bike do what it wants and it immediately corrected itself before I died. To be honest I was about ready to jump off the motorcycle and began to let go, when the bike corrected and I realized I was gripping it too hard. All this was learned within a nanosecond at speed on the freeway.

I think if you have a good brain on your shoulders and a good idea how to ride, you can predict most accidents coming before they do, unless of course you're getting a bit hot in the canyons. That can get ugly very very fast on any bike. motor or not.

A graduated license test would be ideal in a perfect world, as previously mentioned.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 15th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #112
Werehusky
ninjette.org member

Quote:
if you have to do any kind of evasive move,do you think its better wasting time with banging some downshifts or rolling on throttle and getting out of harms way-milliseconds count in accident avoidance-it's not just motor-it's the whole sum of the parts-suspension,brakes,etc.if you are at full lean on the 250 and there is a pothole that you can't avoid at the apex of a turn,what happens?-i know on a bike with cartridge and usd forks i would be more sure of the outcome-600's are still peaky -your going to have downshift them as well-try a 1000 -you'll like it- i swear
If you need the acceleration of a 1000 under 100mph over a 600 chancers are you should brake to avoid it. Acceleration under 100 is pretty much the same for 600 and 1000s, if you are that scared just ride around in 3rd gear on your 600 and you will be in the powerband at highway speeds.

And as for your leaned over question; you shouldn't be leaned over that far on the street anyways, thats for the track, and two you can hit the back brake and up you go so you have the most tire hitting the pothole.

And I own a 1000cc and have owned 2 600s, you know what a ZX-10r is right?

Old July 15th, 2011, 02:40 PM   #113
rockNroll

Quote:
If you need the acceleration of a 1000 under 100mph over a 600 chancers are you should brake to avoid it. Acceleration under 100 is pretty much the same for 600 and 1000s, if you are that scared just ride around in 3rd gear on your 600 and you will be in the powerband at highway speeds.

And as for your leaned over question; you shouldn't be leaned over that far on the street anyways, thats for the track, and two you can hit the back brake and up you go so you have the most tire hitting the pothole.

And I own a 1000cc and have owned 2 600s, you know what a ZX-10r is right?
There's something wrong with your ZX-10r if it accels like a 600... at any speeds. You need to have that looked at.

Perhaps YOU shouldn't lean over very far.. sounds iffy.

what does "two you can hit the back brake and up you go so you have the most tire hitting the pothole." mean?

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #114
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Certainly the liter bikes are faster at all speeds, but I was curious to find out how much faster strictly using top gear roll-ons as the measure.

From Aug '11 SportRider:

60-80 Roll-on/80-100 Roll-on:
CBR600 - 4.00/3.56
ZX-6R - 3.64/3.49
GSX-R600 - 3.34/3.66
R6 - 3.85/3.67
Daytona 675R - 3.39/3.94

And from the July '11 issue:

60-80 Roll-on/80-100 Roll-on:
ZX-10R - 3.03/3.11
BMW S1000 - 2.49/2.59
1198 - 2.60/3.17

There is no doubt the liter bikes are far more powerful. The 1/4-mile times, and more importantly, the trap speeds show this to be true. I didn't post the 1/4 times/speeds so don't tell me you don't see them. Of course anyone with a brain knows that 170+ HP in a 450 lb wet chassis will be faster than 120 HP in a 420 lb chassis.

With that said, I don't see any real advantage to having the extra speed a liter bike offers. I'm not saying they aren't worth having, and I will more than likely get one some day. However, if going from 60-100 in 7.5 seconds in top gear isn't fast enough for getting out of trouble, then what the hell did you do?

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #115
Werehusky
ninjette.org member

Quote:

what does "two you can hit the back brake and up you go so you have the most tire hitting the pothole." mean?
Feathering the back brake though a turn will stabilize the rear better so it'll standup faster, when you hit a pothole(or a puddle) you want the bike to be at the highest lean angle possible for stability.

And no there is nothing wrong with my 185hp ZX-10r, the 0-60times of a 600 and 1000 are about .5 seconds different, because the 1st gear of a 1000 is so long(the transmission gearing)it takes a 1000 longer to hit the powerband then a 600. 1000s start to show their true strengths above 100mph, heck my 1st gear goes to 110mph(I had my redline raised to 14,300). Also with a 1000 you have to worry about keeping the front wheel down so you cant WOT it like a 600.

Old July 15th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #116
rockNroll

Quote:
Feathering the back brake though a turn will stabilize the rear better so it'll standup faster, when you hit a pothole(or a puddle) you want the bike to be at the highest lean angle possible for stability.
yer joshin' me, arntcha?

Old July 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #117
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
With that said, I don't see any real advantage to having the extra speed a liter bike offers.
Who says the extra speed is needed? lemmie reread this thread, then I'll edit this.

Edit: Not really seeing any. I am seeing acceleration and suspension though.. which isn't speed. You could accel from 20 to 50 really, really quick and never achieve much speed. There's a difference... right? Isn't most of this discussion about the ability to accelerate? Or the lack of ability? Well.. cept when someone goes off on something like speed.

Old July 15th, 2011, 05:39 PM   #118
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
do you mean to say you're squating a loaded rear with the rear brake? how does this accomplish a faster 'standup'? seems if anything it would slow it down with the increased rake angle you have from the rear squatted... granted the increase in rake would stabilize the front over a bump... but i would think (although i don't ride a litrebike and haven't tried this technique) that once the squat-loaded rear lost traction, your squat would turn into a bounce? can you please elaborate?

edit: perhaps what i said wasn't clear enough... you're keeping throttle on mid turn, while damping the power with the rear brake, causing the swing arm and rear shock to compress, "squating" the rear?

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #119
Xoulrath
ninjette.org sage

Name: T

Motorcycle(s): Current: '11 ZX-6R; Previous: '09 Ninjette; '08 ZX-6R (Ex-Wife '09 TU250X)

Quote:
Who says the extra speed is needed? lemmie reread this thread, then I'll edit this.

Edit: Not really seeing any. I am seeing acceleration and suspension though.. which isn't speed. You could accel from 20 to 50 really, really quick and never achieve much speed. There's a difference... right? Isn't most of this discussion about the ability to accelerate? Or the lack of ability? Well.. cept when someone goes off on something like speed.
I thought it was obvious I was referring to acceleration, seeing as the numbers posted had to do with roll-ons.

Either way I don't care, and truthfully we are on the same page. I traded my 250 entirely because of the lack of power, or more specifically, its inability to accelerate rapidly.

Old July 16th, 2011, 07:01 AM   #120
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoulrath View Post
I thought it was obvious I was referring to acceleration, seeing as the numbers posted had to do with roll-ons.

Either way I don't care, and truthfully we are on the same page. I traded my 250 entirely because of the lack of power, or more specifically, its inability to accelerate rapidly.
We are on the same page Sorry bout' that