ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 17th, 2016, 02:29 PM   #1
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Ninjettes stolen and recovered

So, after the happy announcement of getting a new Ninjette I sadly have to report that less than 8 hours later both the 2015 300 (Pearl) and 2013 300 (Saturn) were stolen from Sakura's apartment complex. The hitch lock was cut and the trailer with both bikes was attached to the thieves' vehicle and taken to a chop shop.

What they didn't realize is that I have a very well disguised GPS/alert system. I was asleep, so I didn't notice it immediately but the constant buzzing of my phone roused me at about 6am and I immediately rushed to the bike's reported location and was able to get the police dispatched (which took more effort than I would've expected). The thieves were working behind some bushes but otherwise 'in plain sight' and I was able to recover both vehicles and my trailer. The vehicle they used to tow the trailer was also recovered as stolen, with plates stolen off a different vehicle.

Sadly, they did a not insignificant amount of damage, including drilling out both ignitions. I'm hoping they aren't totalled (especially Saturn, with all her custom work -- I'll never get the funds back to replace that properly) but am waiting for the estimate to come in for insurance.

I highly recommend the Scorpio Ride to any rider here. Let me get both of the baby bikes back. It will be the first thing we do to Pearl when we get them back.

See also: Sakura's Facebook video here https://www.facebook.com/sakura.mits...9179280663517/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1282.jpg (123.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1281.jpg (155.5 KB, 30 views)
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2016, 02:32 PM   #2
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Dang! Glad you were able to get the thieves arrested and get your bikes back.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2016, 02:38 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
But glad you got the bikes back so quickly. Bummer about the damage though.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Damn that sucks but yay for a tracking system. Being a proven solution, I might get in on that for my next bike. Sadly, Seiryu isn't worth much to bother.

Clueless question, if they are totaled, the insurance keeps everything right? Or is there a way to strip off the mods and only have them keep the stock bike? Or would buying it back and then looking for a slightly used one be an option?

It'd suck if you lost everything so wondering what the options (if any) there are.

Good luck with the claim and thanks for the info about the Scorpio Ride system.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2016, 02:55 PM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Damn that sucks but yay for a tracking system. Being a proven solution, I might get in on that for my next bike. Sadly, Seiryu isn't worth much to bother.

Clueless question, if they are totaled, the insurance keeps everything right? Or is there a way to strip off the mods and only have them keep the stock bike? Or would buying it back and then looking for a slightly used one be an option?

It'd suck if you lost everything so wondering what the options (if any) there are.

Good luck with the claim and thanks for the info about the Scorpio Ride system.
If totalled my understanding is that I get a check for the amount that would be what the bike was worth before the damage. I have the option to buy it back from the insurance company for the salvage value of the bike at that point. In my case, due to my mistrust of other people taking care of 'starter' bikes like Ninjettes would mean buying it back to get the parts (esp. things like the custom powder coated wheels) and then having to buy a brand new Ninja 300 to attach them all too. Very expensive.

Old March 17th, 2016, 03:09 PM   #6
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Aw man that sucks. Glad the thieves were caught though!

Old March 17th, 2016, 03:37 PM   #7
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
I do wish we were allowed stolen bikes to burst into flames when locks are drilled.
What a roller coaster ride for you both!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old March 17th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #8
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Sorry for your troubles. Hope them thieves get locked away for a long time. So you
basically hunted them down and then called the Cops? tell us more... I hope the thieves got tasered.

Old March 17th, 2016, 03:48 PM   #9
Nu2Street
ninjette.org member

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R

That's terrible, but kudos to you for having things alarmed!!!! I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted.
Nu2Street is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2016, 04:16 PM   #10
AwDang
ninjette.org guru

Name: Pat

Motorcycle(s): 286, 296, 599, 799

Buy them back. Then convert them to dedicated track bikes!
AwDang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2016, 05:01 PM   #11
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
If totalled my understanding is that I get a check for the amount that would be what the bike was worth before the damage. I have the option to buy it back from the insurance company for the salvage value of the bike at that point. In my case, due to my mistrust of other people taking care of 'starter' bikes like Ninjettes would mean buying it back to get the parts (esp. things like the custom powder coated wheels) and then having to buy a brand new Ninja 300 to attach them all too. Very expensive.
The new 300 is insured under your name for the automatic new vehicle coverage, right? *hint*

*Sigh* It's such a shame that we can't have nice things (whatever they are) without having people messing with our stuff.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2016, 07:33 PM   #12
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
The new 300 is insured under your name for the automatic new vehicle coverage, right? *hint*

*Sigh* It's such a shame that we can't have nice things (whatever they are) without having people messing with our stuff.
Yes, Pearl is covered thank heavens. Sadly it's going to be two claims and not one, so I have to hit 2x my deductible but it's better than no coverage.

Old March 17th, 2016, 09:30 PM   #13
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Ouch!!!! So sorry to hear.

But I'm so glad you have the tracking device and tracked it just in time. Would you care to share your tracking setup? I'm very interested.

Old March 17th, 2016, 09:36 PM   #14
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Public Service Announcement:
Those trackers are great but fer ****** sake: DON'T try to take down or confront the perps yourself! There has been more than on person shot dead tracking their stuff and confronting the thief(s).
Phone the cops (like the OP did and resist the urge to settle the score yourself!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2016, 12:15 AM   #15
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
If totalled my understanding is that I get a check for the amount that would be what the bike was worth before the damage.
Really? I thought the insurance company will try to evaluate your bike as per current market price; brand new or second hand and the evaluator will try their best in finding flaws in bikes that they have insured to ensure they pay the most minimum amount?

Old March 18th, 2016, 04:48 AM   #16
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
That sucks!

Hopefully they fix them for you...

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2016, 04:51 AM   #17
demp
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2015 V-Star 950 Tourer (Deep Blue)

that's just awful. I'm seriously considering getting this system.

Good job catching them though!
demp is offline   Reply With Quote