ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old January 21st, 2022, 07:41 AM   #41
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yes I find it very interesting that companies are very innovative when they first start out, they know all the tricks of the trade but as time goes on they some times loose touch with the rest of the world and simply get left behind...
then they see the company struggling to make a profit and turn on the employees and fire everyone keeping only a skeleton crew and then wonder why they can't produce their product , and then the companie folds....
i've seen this a few times, the end results are always the same.

I guess the owner of the company just gets fat on the success and leaves the manageing to someone else that doesn't have a stake in it and won't put in the time to fix the problems.... Hoyte water heater co. in Reno went that route
it was a good business for a long time but it just got to the point who cared ?
....I went on a vacation took a week off and went to Florida came back and they were out of business... I thought I was going to have to fight them to get my tools back because they had locked everything I said i want my tools and I want them now either you open the gate or I will tear it down.....
they opened the gate ...I got my tools and left there was no warning no nothing the owner just didn't care about his employees ! the manager said I'm sorry Bob but what can I do ? I was managing the forklift repair shop at the time and had been for over a year we were doing good , too... but
over night they just closed the doors.... over 120 employees were out of a job
and there was no warning.... it sucked.
My first encounter with fuel injection was on my Moms Volkswagen hatch back..... that was a nightmare to work on and of course I was supposed to fix it ! .... I thought "it's a VW how hard can it be? " but it was a new breed of VW and I had no idea how to work on it.... I finally got mom to sell it and get a Datsun pickup with a honest to god carburetor ! she drove that little truck into the ground and I kept putting it back together finally she got another car and gave the truck to me which I promptly sold as it was totally wore out ! there was no ball joints left the carb screws were all stripped out and the rods were knocking .... it was totally used up !
the first F.I. car I ever had was that toyota pickup with the R22 engine in it... my brother in law gave it to me .... I gave him my 700cc honda shadow and he was so grateful that he gave me his pickup.... I needed a pickup real bad so I took it ! that truck was like brand new well taken care of but he got another vehicle and didn't need it any more . I never expected that...
it caught me by surprise to say the least.
so when I tried to add hydroxy gas to the pickup I started fighting the trucks computer ! ... and it fought me every inch of the way....
but I finally figured out what was going on and came up with a solution
I tricked the computer ! I covered the exhaust sensor and changed the
MAF sensor ( adjusted it much leaner) and added hydroxy gas and then by passed the MAF with a garden hose to lean it out.... with a "Mat Valve"
as we called it on the Hydroxy hut site.... I got a consistent 45 MPG with that truck for at least 3 years and up to 48 MPG on the best run.... this is going from Redding ca. to shingletown ca. up the mountain and back.
the knowledge I needed to do that right I did not have.... I know now HOW i should have done it..... and it would have been so much simpler !
but hind sight is 20/20 ! LOL
All I needed to do was re map the ECU in the truck or get a piggy back unit
but that is how it goes some times I'm constantly a day late and a dollar short on most things ! HAHAHAHAHAH

later all !
Bob.....

Old January 24th, 2022, 12:36 PM   #42
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

ok so this morning I got the RX4 back into the shop and put on the handle bar risers so I could lower the front forks the 2" i need to balance that with the rear lowering.... the job went like clock work and I probably had both jobs done in an hour....
I got everything very tight except the 2 bottom bolts on the handle bar clamps because you can't get to them with the handle bars on.... not enough room so I'll probably cut down an allen wrench just for that job just to make sure they are tight.... they don't move or slip at the moment but they might so I'ed rather be sure.....
so now I get to go put a few miles on "miss Piggy" and see how she handles now.... she should be as good as new now and tuck her butt into the corners
I like that ! it's a good feeling on a bike no forcing the thing to corner just allow the bike to do it !
I took the big top box off so the bike cover would fit better and I think I like it better that way.... I still have the saddle bags on it so I have cargo capasity so that's not a problem at all.
back when I was riding the 305 dream at over 1000 miles a month I had saddle bags on her as well and I had a set amount that I always carried with me... that included my heavy rain gear I usually had a sleeping bag strapped on to the sissy bar as well so I could lean back against it and relax
so I am liable to put the top box back on in the future so I can put a sleeping bag on it in front of the box and have a lounge chair for my rides ! you can really stack on the miles when your comfortable !
.... the handle bar risers I got were billet aluminum type that clamp in the existing handle bar clamps and then raise up into another handle bar clamp
I got those because they offer the best option on positioning the handlebars
the handle bars now are just under shoulder height and seem to be perfect for me ... a bit high but I'll get used to it !
... those handle bar clamps were for 1-1/8" handle bars because this thing has tapered handle bars ( never messed with them before)
so the one end that goes into the stock handle bar clamp needed the spacers they provided and the other end clamped on the handle bars they fit perfectly.... it worked really slick ! their black though, I should have got polished aluminum ...LOL
AND with the lowering of the front forks the side stand still works good ...it's not too vertical .... i was worried about that only taking off 3/4"
I probably only have 6" of ground clearance now but I CAN touch the ground ! HAHAHAHAHAH !
Bob.......

Old January 24th, 2022, 04:44 PM   #43
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
hmmm... seems like lotsa work...
How about some of these!!!

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 24th, 2022, 08:01 PM   #44
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

LOL HAY ! THAT COULD work !!!!
hahahaha....
ALWAYS GOTT'A BE ONE SMART BUTT IN THE CROWD ! !

Bob....

Old January 31st, 2022, 10:48 AM   #45
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Yesterday I finished making a Winch Pole for "Miss Piggy" I had some scrap1"x1/8" wall 6061t6 Aluminum tubing so I cut sections down and cut solid steel plugs that just fit inside the tubing and pinned them in one end with a bolt
and the pole is as tall as I am when assembled I also made a foot for the bottom end and then took a 1" ratching strap and attached it to a 6" piece of the same tubing for the top... I cut off the hook and tied a loop about 8" in diameter so I can easilly loop it around the end of the handle bar and hand guard and put the other end in the ratchet and crank it up....
i put the thing vertical in the vice and tested it with my 186lbs and it lifted me easy.... so it should lift the bike should it ever fall over and I can't lift that heavy thing back up.....
I got the idea from the guy on "My senior moments" on youtube.
it's heavy though the whole thing probably weighs 20lbs ! LOL
but it is strong and it's not going to bend....
there is alot I can do to lighten it up , like drill out the slugs and put a 1/2" diam hole through them to make each one alot lighter and remove the bolts and pin the slugs with a 1/4" piece of aluminum rod. which would make them easier to use as well. all in all it turned out really good.
although I haven't tried laying the bike over in the back yard and then using the winch to get it upright again but I will when it warms up a bit....
I made the thing to fit in the saddle bag and it does , so that part was a success !
I think I have 5 sections of 13" and one of 6" with the ratchet on it.
so it gives me plenty of height !
I've always said " if you can't pick up your motorcycle when it's laying on it's side you should NOT be on it !" but times change and I'm not going to quit riding just because I'm an old fart !
....LOL
Bob.........

Old January 31st, 2022, 04:07 PM   #46
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Hmmmm, sounds scary! Any photos of this???

Old January 31st, 2022, 04:38 PM   #47
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

not yet but I'll get ya some eventually I'll take some pics when I test it out
yes if your not up on your angles it could be a dangerous thing to try and lift your bike with .... this thing is one of those tools you don't use WRONGLY !
or it will drop the bike on you and smack you with the pole !
... there is no side braces when hoisting up the bike ...YOU are the side brace !
so you hold it steady with one hand and ratchet it up with the other and get it up far enough so you can push the bike up the rest of the way....
... I almost wonder if I could just use the long pole strapped to the bike by the foot peg and use the leverage of the pole to lift it up myself... without the ratchet ! LOL
the problem with that idea would be the second place to brace the pole against near the seat and tank..... but if you had a plate that slid under the seat to the frame that would not slip off that would do it easily ....
of course the whole problem with this idea is the time it takes to do it....
it certainly would not be fast...just getting the pole out and assembled would take 4 minutes !
.... but it gives you the option of going way the heck out there in the boonies where no one else is and if you dump it on it's side you can make it upright again without help ! .... EVEN A BIGGER BIKE THAN I HAVE !
so it is useful !
Bob.......

Old March 24th, 2022, 08:41 PM   #48
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Ok I have Just ordered a spring for the back of my RX4.....
I have no idea of how much work will be involved to put that spring on the shock but I have a feeling I will have to MAKE the spring retainers top and bottom....
we'll see the spring cost $90.00 and shipping was $22.00 but it is a 475lb spring that is 9" long and 2.25" I.D. the one that is in the bike is something like 650lbs 10" long and 2" I.D. (as close as all my research has been able to tell me)
I admit they really did the rear suspension goofy on the RX4.... should be straight forward with a mono shock and dog bones but no they added an extra
pivoting block in there which takes up room adds weight and complicates the
suspension siverly .... the Ninja's rear suspension is mild compared to this thing.... they both could have been done so much simpler... like the Honda XR650L's suspension !
anyway..... 3 days of 70 degree plus temps here and it's looking like spring !
I took the covers off all the bikes and woke up to thick frost on all the bikes this morning...... so it's still very cold at night here.
but the trees are starting to bloom so spring is almost here !!!!!
so replacing the coil spring on the rear mono shock is my next project !
Bob.......

Old March 28th, 2022, 10:40 AM   #49
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Sense Warm weather arrived I took the RX4 out for a short ride yesterday...
didn't get too far... I went up stewards springs road like I did last time....
cinders are still all over that road...ugh ! but I got up the hill about 1/4 the way and noticed the temp gauge was near the top ! I thought WOOOH !
and promptly parked..... the dash is hard to see in it's dark mode and I hadn't noticed it till then when it switched modes automatically in the shadows....
but the temp was climbing up past the top notch so I turned around ( down hill)
and went back home and it stayed at the very last notch all the way home
at the time I thought it was probably just low on coolant ...but after it cooled I checked it and it was full....
i am wondering now if the fan ever came on...as I don't think I ever heard it come on ....ever ! so it may have blown a fuze or the switch is bad....
but I will have to look into that before I ride it again.
Bob........

Old March 28th, 2022, 11:53 AM   #50
DannoXYZ

Ugh, hate it when that happens!

Toyota has nifty circuit to mitigate those cases. By default, fan-circuit is always connected ON, then working thermoswitch actually turns fan OFF. So in event switch dies, it leave fan ON running full-time.

Old March 28th, 2022, 03:00 PM   #51
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

well, I pulled the seat off and checked all the fuzes, all are fine. then pulled the connection to the thermo switch and stuck my trouble light to one side and the fan came on... so it works but it never came on so I am assuming that is NORMAL ???? but to read the gauge it said it was hot so I don't know quite what to think....
I asked Joey down there what he thought of the situation and am waiting for his reply..... it might be that they all read high like that I don't know....
I also asked about the thermostat in it it might be one that is way too hot for this location........
kind'a buggs me though... it's a brand new machine there shouldn't be any problems with it at 60 miles on the odometer... but in all fairness it may well be "Normal" and I expect it is.... but that means the temp gauge on the dash is useless because it always reads HOT...... Hummm.
i'll let ya know what they say....
Bob......

Old March 28th, 2022, 08:08 PM   #52
DannoXYZ

Actually test thermoswitch to make sure it turns ON when hot. The sensor that drive gauge doesn't have anything to do with fan.

1. measure resistance/continuity across switch at room temperature
2. put thermoswitch into pot of water, and bring to boil
3. very 20-degrees increase or so, check resistance/continuity of switch
4. at what temperature does switch close?
5. or does it never close?

There's your answer.

Another way I've monitored this is to attach idiot-light on dash connected to fan. When switch closes to turn on fan, it also lights up bulb.

Old March 28th, 2022, 09:53 PM   #53
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

good idea Danno.... Thanks
I'll do that if and when I change the thermostat because I will have to drain the coolant then anyway... and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Bob....

Old March 31st, 2022, 06:55 PM   #54
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I think the gauge is just off is all.... I fired it up today and let it idle till it reached operating temp.... and I think it was at operating temp because when I revved it up to 3~4k it got hotter for a second or two then the temp dropped a few degrees and as I held it at 4k rpm the temp came back up then dropped again...so it is regulating the temperature..... it did all this at 4 bars on the temp gauge( there is only 5 bars on the gauge!!!) so it is actually reading a bit high..... and Joey at CSC said they are a bit generous in their read out
so it is working fine I think....
I'll take it for a ride on the flat land and see what the temp gauge does...
I've got 77 miles on it now and i'm still waiting for that rear shock spring to arrive ! LOL
Bob......

Old June 5th, 2022, 11:42 PM   #55
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

I've replaced 2 springs sense my last post here.... the first one that fit great is way too hard just like the stock one. so I got talking to Pete Youngblood on the china riders forum and he said he would give me 3 springs that he had so I took him up on that prospect and paid him double the postage ! and found that one of the springs he gave me was 400~450 lbs... the rest were in the 500lb range... but they were just 8" long , so I had to make an extension for the spring to set on... that took me almost a week and I wound up zip tying the spring to the spring holder and that seems to be working great !
.... tried the bike out and it was exactly the same, an extremely harsh ride.
that is when I noticed that backing off the pre-load can bottom out the shock itself.... I have NEVER in all my years ran into that before !
it turns out that I was riding with the shock bottomed out all the time !
well....that had to change !
I lowered the preload nuts and noticed that the spring wasn't even touching them.... that put my seat height back up to 32" but the ride then was much better.... still a bit hard but useable !
I fell over with the bike at a stop sign and realised I can't ride the bike like this with this high seat height it HAS to be LOWER ! so I set out to make a new lower link.....
with another 3 days of work screw ups and all that I finally came up with a lower link that dropped the seat height 2.5" ! but the rear tire is about 1/2" away from rubbing on the inner fender well on the bike... so it had to go back up.... I increased the preload a bit and got the clearance to 1" on the rear wheel and the seat height was at 30" exactly....
so that's where I set now, I haven't ridden it sense and it's been about 2 weeks the weather has been crazy here and I've been sleeping all day and getting up at night..... today I got up at 8pm !!!! so I am going around the clock again ! LOL.....
from what I can gather on the temperature gauge is that they all read high
you just watch the numbers not the gauge and sense I've been doing that it's never gotten hot ever.... so it's working fine !
when I raised the rear a few weeks ago I also raised the front a little
but I have not lowered it back down to the 2" that I had it at..... I should probably do that as the handling will be effected...
so now the bike is just waiting for me to take it out for a spin again and see how it works ... it SHOULD be good to go ! we'll see.
Bob......

Old June 16th, 2022, 02:57 PM   #56
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Well, I just got back from a short ride on the RX4.... I had to turn around and go home because the rear tire was rubbing on the inner fender well on every tiny bump....
Right now the seat height is 30.25" and stock it's 31.9" but to keep it from rubbing I am going to have to raise the rear by at least 2" so that puts me back at the stock seat height !
ya learn something new every day I always say but I have never seen a motorcycle you could not change the seat height on.... this one is already set to as low as it can possably be and with too hard of a spring too boot.
so....
it's very obvious to me now that I either learn to live with it this way or sell the darn thing !

Anyone interested in a 2021 CSC RX4 (Blue) with less than 200 miles on it?
I have all the original things that I have modified or changed, extra oil filters
etc,etc. it cost me over $6000 to get it here and in my name , I'll sell it for $5000 you pay the shipping or come and get it.
it's a good bike... just too heavy and too tall for me !
I want something smaller, lighter and easier to pickup !

Bob.......