ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 5th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Oil level, suddenly too high; coolant too low: HELP!!!

It's time for another service interval and, though I've checked a few times in the last few thousand miles finding the oil level fine, I checked again and it's now too high. When the bike is level, it's beyond the level of the sight glass. The coolant, which I can not read the level of without removing the fairings, was actually pretty low. I've never had my temp or oil lights come on and the oil does not look milky when run, but I still can't help but think that my oil was compromised with coolant.

I was hoping to change my own oil and put off my 15,000 mile valve service until I could afford it (almost 15K now). I added coolant and I bought more Shell Rotella T6 and K&N filters for the oil change, but now I think it needs professional service. As usual, I need other service anyway (valves, tire mounting, clutch cable slack, and overly rich running condition).

So, what do I do now? I am NOT mechanically inclined. Heck, I barely had enough tools to remove my fairings for the first time a few days ago, when I discovered this and I've never even changed the oil, though I was obviously anticipating it.

Last futzed with by CZroe; August 6th, 2010 at 09:16 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:17 AM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Bump. Does anyone think it's still safe to ride if I change the oil now and seek service in a few hundred miles?

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:34 AM   #3
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

I think you should be okay with an oil change for now - just take a good look at the filter and used oil.

Keep an eye on both oil and coolant levels for inconsistancies.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #4
mrlmd
ninjette.org sage

Name: Marc

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Suzuki S50, 2006 Kawasaki Ninja EX250F, 1990 Honda PC800, 2000 Yamaha TW200

Why don't you let a little out of the bottom drain and see what it looks like? You'll know right away if there's water in it. Just loosen the bolt a little without removing it, otherwise it will all drain out. You can't ride it if it's got water in it.
mrlmd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2010, 09:56 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by austexjg View Post
I think you should be okay with an oil change for now - just take a good look at the filter and used oil.

Keep an eye on both oil and coolant levels for inconsistancies.
Thanks. I'll do this as soon as I can get the tools together (I really don't own any!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlmd View Post
Why don't you let a little out of the bottom drain and see what it looks like? You'll know right away if there's water in it. Just loosen the bolt a little without removing it, otherwise it will all drain out. You can't ride it if it's got water in it.
I hope I have the right tools. I have a torque wrench but the only snap-on I have is for the axel nut (whatever size that is). I'll be fishing in the tool box to see if one of those little wrenches fits. Otherwise, I'm off to Harbor Freight! Thanks.

Old August 6th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #6
Guinss
ninjette.org guru

Name: Simen

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R (Black)

You need a 17mm, maybe there is one in the bikes toolkit.
Guinss is offline   Reply With Quote