Notices

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Why do people ride so fast?

I recently learned that someone who led a group ride I almost went on, but decided not to because they were riding in the city and I prefer country roads, crashed his bike coming off a highway exit ramp on that group ride and broke vertebrae in his neck and his back. Luckily he isn't paralyzed and he's going to be fine without surgery and with plenty of rest. (He was wearing full gear.) He was riding a Ducati Panigale 899 and he says he's completely done with bikes now, he pointed out it's not because he's scared, it's because he doesn't want to see his family go through that pain again. When he invited me to ride with him, he said 'I like to ride slow, it's cool, you can ride your 250 no problem.' From what I understand, he was going too fast on the exit ramp and lost control of his bike and lowsided, probably into a guard rail or cement wall.

This prompted me to think... WHY do people need that excessive speed? What's fun about going faster speeds than you can control your bike at? There are a lot of things you can do on the road to minimize your risk of any type of accident, but I'm willing to bet that #1 is reducing your speed... If whatever bad thing happens to you on the road happens slower, it seems you will come out of it better. And what's fun about going so fast you can't even see what's coming up in front of you or on the sides? Sometimes I think people assume that all riders (esp sportbike riders) are always trying to increase their speed, get better so you can get faster. I hope there's a place for riders like me who value control, precision, accuracy, and the feeling of cutting through a curve in control and aware rather than 'oh **** oh **** oh ****' moments.

I'm really genuinely interested in what draws people to speed on the roads... Why is going fast more important than riding safely, for some people? I guess I'm just not after the breakneck speeds as much as I am just the feeling of riding... Just thinking out loud, what do you all have to say about it?
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:13 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
When you figger it out, write a book.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:13 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
fear is one path to adrenaline

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:14 PM   #4
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Its fun to feel the speed. The issue is not going fast its a issue of when a person decides to speed.

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:14 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Its fun to feel the speed. The issue is not going fast its a issue of when a person decides to speed.
no, it's an issue when someone is riding faster than they can skillfully handle.

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:19 PM   #6
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Speed is great, just gotta be smart about it. If I have a wide open freeway ahead of me, I'll open it up to redline in 6th gear. But as soon as traffic appears, I'll bring it down to legal speeds.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:21 PM   #7
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
^I dont enjoy redlining my ninjette, I feel like I'm wringing his neck and choking him to death He doesn't seem to mind though. I mostly redline when I take off from a stop and have open road in front of me, but once I'm up to speed I prefer the cruisng 5-7k revs

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:37 PM   #8
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
no, it's an issue when someone is riding faster than they can skillfully handle.
Skill has nothing to do with it. if your speeding around a curve and find a car blocking the road The same speed in a corner just like it on a track has little risk as the road had.

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:41 PM   #9
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I left my toaster on.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 04:42 PM   #10
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

The thrill of riding fast is easy to understand: it's fun until one cross the limits of traction and control. The issue is developing the self-control and awareness to avoid the temptation of excessive speeding on public roads. Riding at high speeds and near the limits of traction is dangerous and irresponsible on the public roads. Riders who do this expose themselves and other to great risks and severe consequences. If one feels the need to push your ridng hard, take it to the racetrack. . I fought these demons in my youth, suffered some consequences and learned from them. I moved away from riding as fast I could all the time to learnig to enjoy riding within the bounds of traffic laws and safety. I try to ride as smoothly, efficiently and safely as possible. I could still ride pretty quick if I wanted to but I won't do it on public streets. I don't have to prove anything to anybody but myself.

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:01 PM   #11
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Skill has nothing to do with it. if your speeding around a curve and find a car blocking the road The same speed in a corner just like it on a track has little risk as the road had.

what you're saying doesn't actually make sense even if it might work out in the brief evaluation you ran in your head.

the first point you made was that it is not riding above skill level, it is riding above an arbitrary speed limit that someone else decided was valid for cars. -- this is incorrect. riding above your own personal limits is what causes issues. not some arbitrary limit someone decided on for cars.

the second point you made was that there are fewer obstacles on track vs the street. while it is true, it still has nothing to do with what i said. and in fact lends itself to the point i was making. riding above your own personal skill limits means you are going to have issues when you need to make changes. being able to make adjustments and changes that you need to make means riding within your skill level.

whether its on track, in the canyons, in your drive way, or in videogames. riding outside of your skill level results in a crash most of the time. not riding above some arbitrary limit that someone who has no relation to you set. not following a law that has nothing to do with the vehicle you're on. simply, your own skill is what keeps you from crashing. nothing more, nothing less.

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:02 PM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
and yes i realize troll is being a troll but at least put some effort into your trolling.

"skill has nothing to do with it" that just makes you sound stupid.

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:05 PM   #13
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

The adrenaline rush is addictive, and some of us have very addictive personalities.

It's only by approaching your limits that you can increase them, and doing that at speed also gives the adrenaline hit.

Knowing when to back off is what keeps you alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
^I dont enjoy redlining my ninjette, I feel like I'm wringing his neck and choking him to death He doesn't seem to mind though. I mostly redline when I take off from a stop and have open road in front of me, but once I'm up to speed I prefer the cruisng 5-7k revs
These bikes like a good caning... It's not choking the bike, it's clearing it's throat.

Potter around at 5-7k for a while & see how the revs react to a throttle input, then go find a good twisty road & bring it up towards & slightly above redline (13k RPM on my 08, pregens may be different, adjust the following numbers accordingly), aim to have it around 12 - 13.5k on corner exit, and around 9-10k cruising. Give it a few miles like that & see how it reacts to throttle inputs afterwards.
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:08 PM   #14
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
and yes i realize troll is being a troll but at least put some effort into your trolling.

"skill has nothing to do with it" that just makes you sound stupid.
Have you not put him on the ignore list yet, you've more patience than me
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:17 PM   #15
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Group rides... You're riding with you buddies (or people you don't know). You want to show off a little, show these guys you're a superior rider. Competitive spirit. And you're riding a european high-end sport bike. Open it up a bit. Gotta show 'em how it's done... Gotta show the ladies how it's done... Cockiness...
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:24 PM   #16
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Just because he was riding a 899 and crashed doesn't mean he was going fast, he could just be another one of those riders who just rode a bit over their head and payed the price. 250 riders do it all the time, that doesn't mean they were going "fast"

I think if I put it simply I get a euphoric high when I risk my life with injury or death and like any addict it's hard to quit.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2014, 05:44 PM   #17
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Speed is relative. Slow to me, might feel fast to you, or vice-versa. Ride within your limits, get lots of seat time, and with desire and practice, you can get your skill level up to be a fast guy one day, too.
Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:04 PM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Personally, I am comfortable riding at any pace but my favorite is an 8/10ths pace with 10/10ths being my personal limit, or at least where I think the limits are. When I ride alone I blatantly ignore speed limits and regularly double them because I follow what I believe the limits are for me and my bike rather than the arbitrary speed limits set for cars, set too low at that. Now I have had my own mishaps, one of them recently, and the last thing I want to do is to sadden my family/friends with a bad wreck though it is a possibility. I love the feeling of moving quickly, not necessarily fast (which is relative anyway) but quickly enough to really lean the bike over and feel them cornering forces at work. I do not believe that the pace that I ride on the street puts me in inherent danger since I leave a safety cushion for surprises. I do however believe that the pace that I ride would likely make any incident worse, that being incidents which would take effect even at a much lower speed. Examples of that being, animals jumping out and cars cutting me off/hitting me.

Overall, I think that the reason people ride fast in general is because it's euphoric when everything falls into place and you're "flying" low to the ground. Creating the feeling that the bike is an extension of yourself rather than a tool used to get you from A to B. I also believe that even with that said the only truly safe place for this kind of pace is the track. My 8/10ths pace is only a teaser of how a fast 10/10ths or 11/10ths pace feels though it's enough to satisfy my thirst for the feeling.

Sorry to hear about your friend, was he part of the ducati bros. group you were telling me about?
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:12 PM   #19
Sykes92
Jedi on Two Wheels

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r (Slightly Modded)

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2014, 06:14 PM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykes92 View Post
I flipping love sonic the hedgehog
If I get a blue supersport down the line that's the name it's getting hahaha

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:40 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
Personally, I am comfortable riding at any pace but my favorite is an 8/10ths pace with 10/10ths being my personal limit, or at least where I think the limits are. When I ride alone I blatantly ignore speed limits and regularly double them because I follow what I believe the limits are for me and my bike rather than the arbitrary speed limits set for cars, set too low at that. Now I have had my own mishaps, one of them recently, and the last thing I want to do is to sadden my family/friends with a bad wreck though it is a possibility. I love the feeling of moving quickly, not necessarily fast (which is relative anyway) but quickly enough to really lean the bike over and feel them cornering forces at work. I do not believe that the pace that I ride on the street puts me in inherent danger since I leave a safety cushion for surprises. I do however believe that the pace that I ride would likely make any incident worse, that being incidents which would take effect even at a much lower speed. Examples of that being, animals jumping out and cars cutting me off/hitting me.
in a race, i will sometimes reach and grab for 11 or 12 out of 10. typically results in crashing but damn is it fun up until that point.

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:46 PM   #22
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I feel like you can sort of expect crashing as a definite possibility if you're riding harder than you think is physically possible from previous experience.

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:48 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I feel like you can sort of expect crashing as a definite possibility if you're riding harder than you think is physically possible from previous experience.
one thing i've learned is that there is no "physically impossible". only impossible for you to do right now because you don't know how to do it right. which means it can change.

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:49 PM   #24
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I feel like that's something marquez would say

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:55 PM   #25
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
Just because he was riding a 899 and crashed doesn't mean he was going fast, he could just be another one of those riders who just rode a bit over their head and payed the price.
I have no idea how fast he was going, I didn't mean to imply that speed was the only reason, or even a reason, for the crash. It just made me think.

Quote:
Overall, I think that the reason people ride fast in general is because it's euphoric when everything falls into place and you're "flying" low to the ground.
This makes sense, but I think I reach this point sooner on the speed spectrum than most people. Let's just say I'm a lightweight when it comes to speed, or I have low tolerance... I can enjoy 50mph just as easily as anyone else can enjoy 85... I like slow corners, like corners where you're leaned over but at 30-45mph instead of 104. And yeah, he is part of the Ducati group I was telling you about. Scared everyone shitless when all he posted on Facebook was a photo of him in a neck brace thanking Allah for giving him a second chance

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:55 PM   #26
evidens83
bike noob

Name: ev

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r(sold) 04 Yamaha R6

I have a coworker or two that harps on me for riding a 250. He feels that riding his supersport 120+ mph in 2nd gear makes his balls that much bigger Besides being dangerous and possibly reckless I'd rather keep my bones intact and stay off the radar. I dont even know if it'll go that much faster but 80mph on the freeway for me seems about as comfortable as I'll get before I start questioning my abilities. YMMV
evidens83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:56 PM   #27
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
OMG, I can say shitless and it doesn't get starred out? Woooohoooo.

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:58 PM   #28
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
slow corners are the ****, you feel like you're pushing harder when you're going slower because you're used to higher speed stuff.

you'd be amazed what doesn't get starred, there's a whole thread on it.
@evidens83 your co-worker is full of ****. going fast on the freeway is ridiculously easy, especially if you do it at the right time. There's a video somewhere of a guy on a zx10r who flys down an empty highway at 180+ then drops it in a parking lot because he can't turn the thing to save his life.

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:59 PM   #29
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
He feels that riding his supersport 120+ mph in 2nd gear makes his balls that much bigger
^Ohhh, I feel so blessed with my lack of testosterone poisoning.

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:02 PM   #30
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
slow corners are the ****, you feel like you're pushing harder when you're going slower because you're used to higher speed stuff.
Yeah with being a new rider and all I'm ignoring everyone for the most part and riding when, where, and how I feel like, and it's a cool process to discover what kind of riding I like when no one else is influencing or pushing me. I like slow technical turns and weirdly enough, gravel and dirt roads...

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:04 PM   #31
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoluci View Post
Speed is relative. Slow to me, might feel fast to you, or vice-versa.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:05 PM   #32
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
hmm, sounds like you would like a dual sport/supermoto. I know for sure that I'm the type to eventually get into racing at the track, only thing keeping me from it is $$$

You would probably like a lot of the roads around where I am, there are a few roads that are straight up gravel only for miles.

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:08 PM   #33
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJB9...=youtube_gdata - Video Tube for YouTube
I just like the sound of an engine at 12000 rpm.

Sent from my iPhone

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:13 PM   #34
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I tend to ride a very popular mountain road and am always bumping up against traffic and waiting to pass or waving thank you as someone pulled over. One evening, I had the pleasure of a completely empty road all the way from valley to summit. The speed limit is 45. I found myself doing 50-55 and was feeling perfectly content.

I found that it is not speed or lack of it that makes me happiest. Its being smooth and consistent. Going just five over the entire length of the road was an absolute blast! Maintaining a steady pressure on the throttle and never needing brakes felt like I was sailing on ice. One of my best rides!

Quote:
Yeah with being a new rider and all I'm ignoring everyone for the most part and riding when, where, and how I feel like, and it's a cool process to discover what kind of riding I like when no one else is influencing or pushing me. I like slow technical turns and weirdly enough, gravel and dirt roads...
Agree, agree, and agree! I love taking my little Ninja into the dirt, gravel, or playa.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:13 PM   #35
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Something made for dirt would be fun but it would also have to be street legal, and supermotos are so goddamn tall... And expensive. Never ridden one. I like the technical challenge of gravel and I can definitely see myself riding through fields and trails lol

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:15 PM   #36
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
Quote:
I found that it is not speed or lack of it that makes me happiest. Its being smooth and consistent. Going just five over the entire length of the road was an absolute blast! Maintaining a steady pressure on the throttle and never needing brakes felt like I was sailing on ice. One of my best rides!
This is exactly how I feel, and probably a lot how I ride. 5-15mph over the limit depending on the type of road is pretty much what I find myself sticking with.

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:17 PM   #37
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Something made for dirt would be fun but it would also have to be street legal, and supermotos are so goddamn tall... And expensive. Never ridden one. I like the technical challenge of gravel and I can definitely see myself riding through fields and trails lol
that kind of talking is severely limiting young lady.

go buy yourself a crf80 and get dirty

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:17 PM   #38
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
in a race, i will sometimes reach and grab for 11 or 12 out of 10. typically results in crashing but damn is it fun up until that point.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:17 PM   #39
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I would ride a yamaha wr250x offroad more than I would ride it on pavement the only use on pavement it would get would be wheelies
Get a 125cc 2stroke dirtbike, I'm planning on getting one eventually. They're only $500-800 and even though they aren't street legal they're fun as hell.

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:19 PM   #40
Finesse
ran when parked

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
I don't know where I would ride a dirtbike if I had one, or how I would transport it to said location. I live just outside DC. Not exactly tons of open space near my front door