ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM   #1
dchun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jimmy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Parking

I was wondering what (if any) laws are in place for parking a motorcycle (im in NJ).

When I go out I always see motorcycles parked on the sidewalk. The gym I go to has a bicycle rack right in front of the entrance on the sidewalk and i always see motorcycles parked next to the bicycles. is this acceptable?
dchun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:08 AM   #2
dubojr1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

I wouldn't think it would be legal to park on the sidewalks anywhere. I've seen cars ticketed for barely protruding into the sidewalk due to wheelchair use.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 08:13 AM   #3
addy126

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

I operate on the "do I feel lucky today" parking style. Do I want to pay for an entirely new bike or parts when bozo beanhead backs into it, or do I want to pay a few dollars in a "no park" zone. Most times on the sidewalk, out here anyway, if you choose the right spot and keep it out of the foot traffic areas.... the parking services never really bother you. At least not me yet... guess those are the "feel lucky days". Other times I'll park on the white lines at the end of the parking rows across from the store fronts. I never ever use the parking spots or parallel park near cager slots
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

I've only heard of San Francisco as being ok to park on public sidewalks. For everywhere else, it depends on the business owner and the cops. For places that generally have large sidewalks (walmart, frys, home depot, etc), I will park on their sidewalk since it's huge and out of the way of foot traffic. Most places here actually have designated motorcycle parking and downtown even has free motorcycle parking every block
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 10:29 AM   #5
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

It's up to local ordinances and state laws. In Texas it's illegal to be on a public sidewalk (adjacent to a public street) or park in a fire lane, handicapped without proper plate/tag, and a few other similarly marked spots. However, once you're on private property it's up to the actual property owner about parking on sidewalks on private property. For places you visit routinely just ask the manager, most of the time they're not anal sphincters about it. Just don't block fire hydrant/hose connections, doors, etc.

I prefer to park up by the building when possible because it frees up a space for a car, as well as making it less likely that someone will mess with my bike. Since the predominant method for bike theft around here consists of two guys picking up the bike and tossing it into the back of a truck or van, parking someplace a vehicle can't easily or discretely get to is a plus.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
downtown even has free motorcycle parking every block
That's good to know, I never noticed that before
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:09 PM   #7
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
That's good to know, I never noticed that before
http://www.shawnluskey.net/travels/parking.html

Each block has about 4-8 spots and absolutely free! The longest I've parked is 12 hours with no issues.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2010, 12:15 PM   #8
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

If you park on the sidewalk in DC you run the risk of being shot and having all that you own taken by the government to pay down the national debt...just kidding they don't pay down the debt just give it to someone else. On the bright side, you can pretty much park anywhere on the street (where it is legal) for nothing if you can back in and park between cars.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 04:45 AM   #9
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

Went to the hospital the other day for tests and sign said the paid parking lot was full so I parked in an out of the way spot of grass at the edge of the lot. Got back to find a warning. I guess they wanted my money even thought the lot was full. I drove off chuckling as I bypassed the turnstile where you pay.

I usually park in a paring spot but occasionally park in "unorthodox" spots if I want to be able to keep an eye on the bike while I'm inside having a coffee or something else.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote