ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 1st, 2011, 08:36 PM   #1
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Complete toolkit

So, I'm putting together a toolkit with tools of better quality than those that come with the bike.

1) I want to know all the type and sizes of fasteners used on the bike. So far, I've got these taken care of:

Hex bolts/nuts:
6mm
8mm
10mm
12mm
14mm
17mm
22mm
24mm

Allan:
4mm
5mm
6mm

Philips:
?!?!?

2) What size is the front sprocket nut?

3) I tossed away the screwdriver that came with my stock toolkit. Anyone know if the combo was Philips 1 & 2, or 2 & 3?

4) I've read of people stripping their carb screws because they require a JIS bit. What size is needed for carb work? And is this the only place where JIS bits are needed?

5) Is the chain adjustment (lock and adjuster nuts) the only maintenance item that requires open ended wrenches?

6) Is there a torque adapter like this one that would cover the whole torque range required when working on the bike?

7) Who here always uses a torque wrench/ratchet/adapter here anyways? I always go by feel.

8) Would a 1/4" drive ratchet/flex head suffice for all work required on the bike (excluding axle bolts and front sprocket)? Or would I be better off with a 3/8" drive?

9) Is there any place on the bike a sliding t-handle with a 6" extension can't reach?

PS: I'm looking for portability and trying to eliminate redundancy for an upcoming trip.

Will post more questions.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:02 PM   #2
Shiloh
QuarterLiter Affectionado

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R , 2009 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

Quote:
3) I tossed away the screwdriver that came with my stock toolkit. Anyone know if the combo was Philips 1 & 2, or 2 & 3?

4) I've read of people stripping their carb screws because they require a JIS bit. What size is needed for carb work? And is this the only place where JIS bits are needed?
All the Philips looking screws are JIS, as was the screw driver you through away. Oh well, maybe you might want to retrieve it.

Quote:
7) Who here always uses a torque wrench/ratchet/adapter here anyways? I always go by feel.
Since this is a trip tool kit, I would forgo the idea of a torque wrench, but I always us a torque wrench (I have 5), when it's available.

Quote:
8) Would a 1/4" drive ratchet/flex head suffice for all work required on the bike (excluding axle bolts and front sprocket)? Or would I be better off with a 3/8" drive?
Go with 3/8, and a reducer for the little 1/4 drive sockets. 1/4 is on the light side for caliper bolts, triple clamps, etc.

The other items I really don't know, but others will chime in.

Good Luck on your Trip.

Old February 6th, 2011, 09:08 AM   #3
indr
ninjette.org guru

Thanks.

What is the size/number of the JIS screwdriver on the OEM toolkit?

Old February 6th, 2011, 03:02 PM   #4
Shiloh
QuarterLiter Affectionado

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R , 2009 Yamaha FZ6 Fazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
Thanks.

Sorry, but I really don't know what the size/number of the pair is in JIS sizing. I normally use US Phillips 1 or 2 and just be very careful. Carb screws I always change for SS Metric socket head screws in the appropriate size.

These people have been a good source for me, plus Sears.

http://www.boltdepot.com/socket-products.aspx

Old March 15th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #5
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

I came across this thread looking for the sprocket nut size (I think it's 24mm Edit: Nope. 27mm; looks like 24mm is the rear axle nut) and saw discussion about the screwdrivers included in the kit being "JIS." I kinda doubt it. Here's why:

They don't seem to fit anything on the bike. The big one will not fit the large side cover bolts, which has really frustrated me when I needed it (note: same bolts as found on the battery box). The little one will not fit the front brake fluid reservoir. Another indicator that they weren't made for the bike is that it includes a flathead when there aren't any such screws on the bike. It's too big to use to retract the CCT pusharm too (takes a tiny flathead). That said, there is a little screw on the undertail that holds the wire to the rear brake light switch that the smaller cross driver may be able to turn (still doesn't fit well). My understanding is that JIS bits/drivers will fit JIS screws/bolts VERY well.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 04:15 AM   #6
g21-30
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
Thanks.

"Search" tab is your friend!

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...&highlight=JIS
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 05:25 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21-30 View Post
Nope. He asked what was included with the OEM tool kit, not the measurements for replacement bolt. Also, it was more than a year ago!

A parts catalog is his real friend:
92107A TOOL-DRIVER,#3PHILLIPS 92107-0010
92107 TOOL-DRIVER,#2PHILLIPS 92107-0009

As I said before, the included tools are either NOT JIS or they are labeled wrong. As you see, they are labeled as "Phillips," but a real #3 Phillips fits the side panels perfectly when this does not.

No matter what, I cannot find a scenario that perfectly explains a real #3 Phillips driver fitting the supposedly-JIS bolts well, while the so-called "#3 Phillips" included with the bike does not. Either people are wrong about there being no Phillips screws on the bike AND the parts catalog is wrong about what kind of driver it is or we have two fundamentally incompatible #3 Phillips drivers despite the standardization and we are still left wondering why it didn't include JIS drivers for a bike with exclusively JIS bolts.

Old March 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM   #8
indr
ninjette.org guru

For those looking for a decent set of JIS drivers: http://www.ikaswebshop.com/hojisscset5d.html

JIS +0 and +1 have taken care of pretty much all + bolts on the bike so far. I haven't gone after the carbs yet but I think they take +0.

Old March 16th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #9
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
I came across this thread looking for the sprocket nut size (I think it's 24mm Edit: Nope. 27mm; looks like 24mm is the rear axle nut) and saw discussion about the screwdrivers included in the kit being "JIS." I kinda doubt it. Here's why:

They don't seem to fit anything on the bike. The big one will not fit the large side cover bolts, which has really frustrated me when I needed it (note: same bolts as found on the battery box). The little one will not fit the front brake fluid reservoir. Another indicator that they weren't made for the bike is that it includes a flathead when there aren't any such screws on the bike. It's too big to use to retract the CCT pusharm too (takes a tiny flathead). That said, there is a little screw on the undertail that holds the wire to the rear brake light switch that the smaller cross driver may be able to turn (still doesn't fit well). My understanding is that JIS bits/drivers will fit JIS screws/bolts VERY well.
Sounds like you may have just gotten very unlucky... The screw driver that came with my toolkit works beautifully on everything. The larger one fits the great on the side cover and battery holder screws. And I didn't have a flathead.

Old March 16th, 2012, 10:32 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoucet93 View Post
Sounds like you may have just gotten very unlucky... The screw driver that came with my toolkit works beautifully on everything. The larger one fits the great on the side cover and battery holder screws. And I didn't have a flathead.
Do they fit in the handle? Mine fall right out. If they really are supposed to be Phillips and they fit well just like a provided Phillips (when I use my own Phillips #3, for example), I assume that they really are Phillips bolts and not JIS. Having the wrong driver shaft may explain a few things. Perhaps my shaft is JIS even though the parts catalog says I am supposed to have a Phillips? I don't see anything obviously wrong with mine, but it can't even turn a loosely tightened Phillips #3 bolt. For example, using my own Phillips #3 driver, I can tighten down the side panel with less force than I would ever be comfortable with on the road and yet the included driver cannot loosen it. No matter how much downward force I use, it slips.

Old March 16th, 2012, 10:34 PM   #11
jdoucet93
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Do they fit in the handle? Mine fall right out.
That, they don't. The fit is very loose. There isn't much play but they definitely don't stay in very well.