ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old December 5th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #1
Jetfoi
ninjette.org member

Name: Thom

Motorcycle(s): 2013 zx6r and 1995 250r

New Issue...

Hello All

Recently I had an issue with my carb which the members on here helped me narrow down. Well after getting my bike running and after a test drive I came back home parked it and this morning there was a gas leak. So it seems at the tank on the petcock the little clamps are on all the hoses correctly and the hoses are in good condition yet the main hose that goes from the petcock to the carb just streams out gas where it connects to the petcock. It is almost as if the tube is bleeding out gas...

Has anyone had this issue? Could it just be that the tube is old and needs to be replaced or am I looking at a diaphragm issue in the petcock?

Old December 5th, 2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Your petcock is shot, save your time, and money and get a new one, the cost of rebuilding it isn't much cheaper, due to you need two separate kits, as they for some reason don't make just one.

New one cocost about $65.00

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...1023-1139.html

Also be sure to order the orings and new bolts, trust me you'll be better off in the long run.

Rebuilding kits are about $60 total.

K&L Supply Diaphragm Only for Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-6638 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055DWO60..._s1CGub1W9N3PH

K&L Supply Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-2723 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KO2JRW..._U1CGub05DT5NT

IMHO not worth it rebuilding, also be sure to check vacuum and fuel lines for wear, holes, and cracks, if in doubt replace them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F2410.jpg (82.2 KB, 0 views)

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2014, 09:23 AM   #3
Jetfoi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostt View Post
Your petcock is shot, save your time, and money and get a new one, the cost of rebuilding it isn't much cheaper, due to you need two separate kits, as they for some reason don't make just one.

New one cocost about $65.00

http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...1023-1139.html

Also be sure to order the orings and new bolts, trust me you'll be better off in the long run.

Rebuilding kits are about $60 total.

K&L Supply Diaphragm Only for Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-6638 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055DWO60..._s1CGub1W9N3PH

K&L Supply Fuel Petcock Repair Kit 18-2723 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001KO2JRW..._U1CGub05DT5NT

IMHO not worth it rebuilding, also be sure to check vacuum and fuel lines for wear, holes, and cracks, if in doubt replace them.
Awesome! Thanks I was looking into getting a new one anyways and found full kits on kawasaki parts store and revzilla so i'll go ahead and get it.

Old December 5th, 2014, 08:12 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfoi View Post
........... Has anyone had this issue? Could it just be that the tube is old and needs to be replaced or am I looking at a diaphragm issue in the petcock?
Does this happen for any position of the handle?

You could try tightening the two little screws on the flat washer around the handle.

If you wrap toilet paper around the petcock and hose, you will be able to see the source of the leak.

Please, read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2014, 08:19 PM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
True, but I'm figuring the age of the petcock, I'm better it's just wore out being 19 years old

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 8th, 2014, 05:16 AM   #6
Jetfoi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Does this happen for any position of the handle?

You could try tightening the two little screws on the flat washer around the handle.

If you wrap toilet paper around the petcock and hose, you will be able to see the source of the leak.

Please, read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Rebuild...tcock/fuel_tap
Oh I can def see the leak from the main line from the petcock to the carb...its at the top of the hose and the hose literally looks like it is bleeding

Old December 19th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #7
pale horse
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Art

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Does your bike still have the stock, wire hose clamps?

I had a similar leak, same fuel line. I thought I was going to need to replace the petcock also but I pulled the stock wire clamps and replaced them with a regular hose clamp and that stopped the leak. For a couple bucks, its worth a check.

First post.....guess I should make my way over to the intro section and stop lurking
pale horse is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 19th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #8
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Welcome, Art! Good suggestion for a first post!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote