ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 11th, 2010, 11:29 AM   #1
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

Name: Myke

Motorcycle(s): 2009 2fiddy SE

The bike we ride?

Does anyone else get tired of being put down because of the bike we ride? I ride this bike because its got great gas mileage. Easy to ride and is fun in the twisties.

I am just getting tired of all the comments from the guys with bigger bikes. "600cc moves the body 1000cc moves the soul 250cc remove the license" Its that kinda stuff that really ruins the whole motorcycle experience for me.

Even to the point where 250s are discouraged on group rides in my area....

How do you deal with the constant put down?
Minnesotah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #2
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Ignore it.

I could not possibly care less what others think of me.

It comes with age.

Re the group rides? Take off right after they do and follow 'em close enough so that they know you're always there... When the herd stops to regroup ride on by and wave.

Sooner or later they'll get the point.

In the real world these bikes are as fast as they need to be. Immature dolts who feel they need to prove their superiority will do so not by riding better, but by getting on a straightaway and accelerating away from you at warp speed... because at the end of the day, that's the biggest difference between our bikes and theirs.

I had something happen once that I still get a chuckle out of. I was bopping along in my bone-stock 89 Civic and some guy in an American muscle car felt he had to prove a point about how wimpy my little 89 horsepower rice burner was, so he punched the gas and blew by me...

... right into the waiting arms of a cop a mile down the road. As I passed them I slowed down, beeped the horn and gave a friendly wave. The look on his face was priceless.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 11:41 AM   #3
WindMeUp
Small Bike Abuser

Name: Stevo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE, GSX650FK8, DL650K5, CH80K2, AN400K7, SH150i

Don't let the other riders ego's bother your fun, it just means they have small penis's and equate their place in line by the amount of cc's they ride.

Old September 11th, 2010, 11:47 AM   #4
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Wow, sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong crowd. No matter, we each love our 250's for our own reasons and it doesn't have to be theirs. Keep doing what you love!
rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Ignore it.

It comes with age.

Re the group rides? Take off right after they do and follow 'em close enough so that they know you're always there... When the herd stops to regroup ride on by and wave.

In the real world these bikes are as fast as they need to be. Immature dolts who feel they need to prove their superiority will do so not by riding better, but by getting on a straightaway and accelerating away from you at warp speed... because at the end of the day, that's the biggest difference between our bikes and theirs.

I had something happen once that I still get a chuckle out of. I was bopping along in my bone-stock 89 Civic and some guy in an American muscle car felt he had to prove a point about how wimpy my little 89 horsepower rice burner was, so he punched the gas and blew by me...

... right into the waiting arms of a cop a mile down the road. As I passed them I slowed down, beeped the horn and gave a friendly wave. The look on his face was priceless.
Very well put thanks.

I guess i just get down every now and then. You know how it is.

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #7
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Well played.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:14 PM   #8
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

I agree with adouglas, when you keep up with them through the twisties and they stop ask them why they suck. I got an r6 but i let my brother ride it because its only better at 1 thing, driving in a strait line, imo. I've watched videos on youtube of track days and ducati 848's and gsxr 750's are going about 70-80 through the corners the ninja will do 70+ with ease so if they think they're cool because they pasted you going in a strait line it shows they're lack of skill.
kingkang204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:16 PM   #9
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Quote:
They ride big bikes to make up for the size of their_ _ _ _ _
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #10
rceezy
Lean Me

Name: RC

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Quote:
This made me literally LOL.

rceezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #11
kkim

Quote:
God... that's a scary picture!!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

Quote:
What scares me the most is what alex typed in google to find this picture.

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:57 PM   #13
zilaniz
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 08 R6

95% of the people who put down the ninja 250 plain and simple cant ride. I have found if you talk to a seasoned rider they respect the 250 just as much as the zx10r
zilaniz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #14
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by zilaniz View Post
95% of the people who put down the ninja 250 plain and simple cant ride. I have found if you talk to a seasoned rider they respect the 250 just as much as the zx10r
+1

Don't let others ignorance/inexperience have any power over you. They only have as much power as you give them. It's all mental....

A few comebacks if you so choose to use them. I've been fighting this battle for 2 years straight now, so I know exactly what you mean, and no matter what, never ever ever loose your cool...

All said with a grin on the face:

"I ride a 250 so you can keep up"
"Yup, you sure won. I guess if you lost against a 250 there'd be no reason for you to live anymore, huh?"
"My, but your chicken strips are big"
"If we look at net capabilities, you ride that thing the way old people f$ck" - adapted from full metal jacket.

oh oh, and my favorite, when they stop for gas, you just keep rolling, if you know the route, and wait for them at the end.... "Where have you guys been? Needed gas? Not sure if you knew this, but 0 mph is the fastest way to go nowhere".

-all said in jest, you know the playful banter present in proportion to the testosterone present.

If their comments are derogatory and meant to keep you away form them, then stay away from them. Why do you want to hang with them, when they're obviously sooooo much cooler than you are, THAT much faster, and really have no time for a 250? Ride with the right crowd mang! People on bigger bikes usually give me a hard time only before the first time they ride with me. If they're cool and worth it, they'll come up after wards and compliment me, and in return I will make sure to make them feel good about the way they ride their bike as well, and if they avoid you like the plague after wards, well, they're just delusional/insecure little vatos you don't need to waste your time on....

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:47 PM   #15
edwinmcq
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I sold a 6r and purchased a 250r because I moved from S.Fla to DC. The 250 is much easier to ride in an urban environment. Its nimble characteristics are perfect for city and near city streets. For short distance parkway riding it will run with anything because of the terrain. In stop and go traffic you don't feel like you are holding up a frig. I also don't fear splattering myself all over the back of a bus or shredding a careless pedestrian so much anymore. I do still like a little bigger bike for highway trips, so I picked up a low mileage 749 two days ago.

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:53 PM   #16
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Ignore it.

It comes with age.

this.........my bf has a 08 cbr 1000, which, upon purchase, he immediately started talking about making faster.....uhhhhh, what?...why??? 'cause you're trying to kill yourself??? that thing goes from 0-i think i s#@! myself, in like, half a block....when are you going to need to go faster? thankfully he has grown out of that....i let him know that with that attitude, i was worried about him riding at all...in the real world, these bikes really are as fast as they need to be...and as has been stated, it's the people who can't ride, who need to compensate with the biggest, baddest, fastest bike they can find
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:55 PM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
it's the people who can't ride, who need to compensate with the biggest, baddest, fastest bike they can find
Not in all cases!

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #18
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

I really like some of these responses, keep it going. All of you have very valid points and some of it really makes you think about who have you put down because of something.

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:28 PM   #19
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Not in all cases!
well no, not in all cases....just this case...the people who won't let someone on a 250 come on a group ride, because it's not big enough to keep up...the people who have only been riding a few months, buy a 1000cc bike, and need to make it faster....those are the people whom this statement is directed towards
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:34 PM   #20
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

"Anyone, including my Grandma, can go fast in a straight line."
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #21
Werehusky
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninjette(sold), 2011 ZX-10r

People who really care about bikes/race dont diss the 250r. The 250r is the best street learning bike there is. I'm glad I started out on a 250 and I'll never put them down, they are way to under-appreciated.

If it was required to start out on a 250 in USA I bet it'd get more respect and we'd have less moto deaths/squids.
Werehusky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #22
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

Sometimes I wonder when some one asks what I ride if they will diss it or if they will say its nice. Most of the time most responsible looking people will give me compliments on it, but every once in awhile I get the person who stops the conversation right there. I've ridden some 700cc bikes and that was a wickedly fast bike in a straight line. Every machine is going to take a curve in the same way except that the 250's design lets it take a corner sharper and quicker. I am in total agreement with adouglas in that I just ignore them and I really don't care what someone has to say about my bike. I bought it for me and I like it, I still don't even see the need to upgrade to a more powerful motorcycle. I also still don't see why there are people that feel the need to go 120mph everywhere they go.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #23
scotty

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

Its a motorcycle. Be happy you have it, and ride it! Most people who buy 1000cc bikes wont ever be able to ever ride the bike the way it was ment unless they go to a track. I have never had any bad remarks about my bike from other bikers no matter what the were on. (beside this 16 year old) Sounds like the people in your area are younger people who feel hey have somthing to prove. Most people will respect you as long as you are riding something! Just look around. There are tons of people who ride smaller bikes. IMO, its smarter, and safer. Thats one of the reasons I got a 250cc.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 03:47 PM   #24
00NissanNinja
I hate driving...

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 13 Triumph Street Triple R, 09 Ninja 250r (Sold 4/20/12)

^That, the ninja 250r has been 1 of kawi's best selling models, and I do see quite a few of them (along with other ~250cc mcs) too.

09 ninja 2fiddy SE Driving slow things fast
00NissanNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 03:59 PM   #25
WindMeUp
Small Bike Abuser

Name: Stevo

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE, GSX650FK8, DL650K5, CH80K2, AN400K7, SH150i

~Riding a small bike hard will always be more fun than riding a big bike fast~ Stevo

Old September 11th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #26
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
You guys are all too sensitive. Who the f..k cares what other people think or say! As long as you love the bike you're on is the only thing that matters.

Old September 11th, 2010, 04:24 PM   #27
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Entire post was right on. Your one-liners cracked me up! I especially loved:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooph View Post
+1 "My, but your chicken strips are big"

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:05 PM   #28
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
You guys are all too sensitive. Who the f..k cares what other people think or say! As long as you love the bike you're on is the only thing that matters.
WAAAAAHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM   #29
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

Oscar, You captured the whole essence. Reminds me of the story of the guy with a very small penis who went to a brothel. The lady looked at him and asked, "Who are you going to please with THAT?" His answer was very simple---"Me" That's what it is all about folks. You don't have to impress anyone but yourself.
Sailariel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #30
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

maybe cuz i'm a girl and no one talks shyt to me about it, but i've never gotten any bad remarks...yet. The bottom line is its a bike, wheather its a 250 or an 1100...who freaking cares!!! The guys that talk shyt have small pen!s's, so they need other things to make them feel "bigger".

Old September 11th, 2010, 06:50 PM   #31
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werehusky View Post
People who really care about bikes/race dont diss the 250r. The 250r is the best street learning bike there is. I'm glad I started out on a 250 and I'll never put them down, they are way to under-appreciated.

If it was required to start out on a 250 in USA I bet it'd get more respect and we'd have less moto deaths/squids.
+1
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 07:04 PM   #32
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

So far I've had 2 people ask me if it was a 500.. I said, no, it's a 250, and didn't give me shyt about it and one of them even said he owed me his respect for riding it (as a girl). I agree whit who says that if YOU like it, then nothing else matters. People can think what they want, and if they don't want to ride with you, you're better off not riding with them.
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 07:51 PM   #33
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

I don't know about you guys, but I feel pah-retty freakin' badass riding my lawnmower like a hooligan
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 08:16 PM   #34
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

If anyone gives me sh*t about my bike I kick 'em in the nuts! (he says in his best Cartman impression)
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 10:31 PM   #35
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesotah View Post
"600cc moves the body 1000cc moves the soul 250cc remove the license"
.....this doesn't even make sense. It's hard to get insulted by stuff that doesn't make sense.

Regardless, getting insulted by words is more telling of the person getting insulted than the people dispensing the insults. You insecure about something?

And for what it's worth, some of the best track riders (both weekend junkies and pro riders) in Toronto are on small displacement bikes. Hell, some of the best riders on the planet don't even ride street....so that's like 0cc.

Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:06 AM   #36
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
Regardless, getting insulted by words is more telling of the person getting insulted than the people dispensing the insults. You insecure about something?
Insecure about something? No, but you dont know my past i am not even going to get into it but when you are put down your whole life and you get something you want and you just get put down more. Kinda just makes you feel like you cant please anyone.

Old September 12th, 2010, 12:43 AM   #37
R.11
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Jai

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

at the end of the day

At the end of day it doesn't matter what you ride it's how you ride it! Respect and love your bike. Going bigger and faster is only going to bring you trouble with other a$$holes who dont respect the ride and speeding tickets if you get caught. I used to think I wanted a 600 but I have reverted back to getting a 250 because at the end of day I want to come home and enjoy the next day doing what I do best. Enjoying the great life I live and all it has to offers. We are not here to impress anybody. Were here to enjoy ourselves. Your money ,your bike ,your choice! Enjoy bro and ride out loud!

Old September 12th, 2010, 05:50 AM   #38
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

I have had a couple of grins when I tell people that I now ride a Ninja 250. I tell them that I have had 3 Goldwings and many other large bikes, but actually prefer the 250 due to riding position, handling and wind protection. I tell them its the most FUN bike I have ever owned... isn't that what its all about anyway? FUN?

Old September 12th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #39
awesome_r6
ninjette.org member

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2009 R6

Even with my 600 I get people asking why I didnt go with a 1000. WTF....like I bought my bike for THEM??? My G/F has a 250 and its baddass. People who get bikes because others want them to are nothin but a bunch of friggen puppets. And usuallly end up getting hurt because there friends want them to do wheelies on there 1st day of riding.
awesome_r6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 12th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #40
MikeCG23
Ride this!

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I love my 250 and glad I started off with it. I wouldn't mind having a faster bike but its not like I NEED one. A faster bike would just give me the chance to do wheelies and speed A LOT more, which is something that I don't need to be doing. I'm happy with my Ninjette! It looks soo good too!
MikeCG23 is offline   Reply With Quote