ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:31 AM   #1
ubnewbie
ninjette.org member

Name: Frank

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Worry from spouse/ family

one thing i've been experiencing from my wife since i started to evaluate the purchase of a bike is this resistance from my wife . her telling that i'll get killed etc

While I understand her worry. I at the same time i feel like telling her to get over it .

has anyone else experienced this lack of support from friends and family.

and what have you done about it.

am I an adult and I know i can make my own decisions at the same time I don't want to come across as not mindful of my wife's concerns.

Old May 31st, 2012, 07:34 AM   #2
Jimboslice32
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

You should have your wife take the MSF course so she can ride a bike too, or at least give her a ride on the back of your bike; she will realize how much fun it is.
Jimboslice32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Bermuda
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R

Try looking at it from another angle. It's not a lack of support, but a lack of understanding. You know she is only worried for your well-being, and there is the support. She just needs to better understand that you are commited to doing this right.

My friends, and largely my family, often voice their concerns. They know how much I enjoy riding, and I like to tell them that I don't want to stop. That's the best motivation for doing it properly, and they get that. At first I couldn't even talk about riding with my old man, but now I can't keep him out of the garage when I bring the bike over to work on her. While it's a different relationship you have with your wife than I do with my parents, the same understanding applies.
Bermuda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:20 AM   #4
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

Growing up my mother was adamantly against motorcycles and dirtbikes and still is. I respected her wishes and did not purchase my first motorcycle and go through MSF until after moving out at 18. The motorcycle became my only means of transportation.

Fast forward a decade with a family now my wife is very understanding and even encourages my riding. It helps that her father rides a Ninja 650 himself and we ride when he comes down to visit.

I will encourage my children to ride, starting with dirtbikes and moving onward if they wish.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5
cbdallas
ninjette.org guru

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 650R

Most of the members of my immediate & extended family have been quite vocal against me having a bike. My sister is the MOST vocal, managing to slip "I wish you'd get rid of that thing before you get killed" into nearly every conversation.

I've had to just resolve in my own mind that while I do have a partner and "kids" to consider, I do need to live my life in a way that makes me happy. The independently wealthy aside, most of us live our days doing things that we really wish we didn't have to do. Most of us have jobs, and we don't all love them. Adding one joy to our daily lives is an important thing to do for our emotional well-being. You only get one go-round on this ride -sorry, Buddhists-. Owning a bike makes the ride so much better for those of us who truly love it.
cbdallas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:33 AM   #6
DARAM1281
ninjette.org member

Name: RUDY

Motorcycle(s): 2012 NINJA 250R

she just needs time. when i first told my gf i was getting one she was not very happy with me. she was pretty worried (my brother died in a motorcycle crash a year and a half prior) but the day i got her and drove up she had the biggest smile on her face. she still worries but soon realized how much i enjoy riding and deals with it better now.
DARAM1281 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 11:47 AM   #7
Stingray1000
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

My dad rode Honda Goldwings growing up, I was too young to know whether my mom was against it, but my mom and family are completely against me having a bike, mainly because I was named after my uncle Larry (middle name) who died on a motorcycle before I was born.... Megan was at first too, but then when she realized how fun it was too ride she got used to it. She jsut yells at me when she follows me to work and someone gets too close to me (like it's my fault) lol My family have gotten used to it, mainly because they know there is just nothing they can do about it....
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 12:22 PM   #8
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboslice32 View Post
You should have your wife take the MSF course so she can ride a bike too, or at least give her a ride on the back of your bike; she will realize how much fun it is.
This man is wise. This method worked for me. Get your lady involved so she can enjoy riding.
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 12:32 PM   #9
obscene
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250r

The good thing is that she prefers you being around over your life insurance money.

From my experience, it has just been a lack of knowledge that fuels family members to have the "you're gonna get killed" fear. Unfortunately, many riders do in fact get killed each year riding motorcycles. The only thing you can do I to make sure to ride as safe as possible and try your best to educate family members who are willing to listen.

For example, a family friend of my mother in law's died in a motorcycle accident. He was wearing no protective equipment at all and was speeding. I try to separate my style of riding as far away from that as possible and help her (more my wife cause who cares about mom!) see the difference. If they can see you as a safe rider, then in the end they'll just be happy to know you're happy.
obscene is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
shes scared of the unknown possibilities. show her it can be safely done. do like above, take her to msf. get her interested in it. tell her if after taking msf and actually knowing about it if she still is against it, then youll be fine with it (she wont be against it after taking msf)

Old May 31st, 2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Avenged7Fold
Ninjette Noob

Name: Trent

Motorcycle(s): 2004 YZF-600r ---- 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

As a young teen, I had no support from family OR friends, so I committed to going to the MSF to show my concern of safety to others. It let everyone see that I wasn't just hopping on the "Death machine" as I've heard some people call it. Eventually they will get over it and support your new hobby.

Old May 31st, 2012, 03:26 PM   #12
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

My wife and family are concerned as well.

I buy nice gear. I have only been riding for 2 months and own sidi st boots, an arai helmet, over pants, jacket, and gloves every day. Only thing I want to get is a chest and back protector.

I also took the classes, and earned a few brownie points by buying a 250cc bike instead of a 600+. Just keep enforcing that your not driving like a jacksss, constantly scanning for cars not paying attention, etc. and actually follow through with it.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2012, 05:58 AM   #13
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

1 accept the risks.
It is inherently dangerous. So is walking down a flight of stairs carrying a box in your arms. Squids on crotch rockets doing wheelies down the interstate at 80mph don't help the lay person's perspective about bikes being dangerous. You must interact with other motorists, you can only control what you do.

2 reduce the risks.
That said, you can mitigate the dangers by adopting safe behaviors... little things like not going so fast that cars pulling onto the road don't have time to see you. Or shifting to the right half of the lane in an intersection where cars are waiting to turn left in front of you. You can also buy equipment like a headlight flasher or high viz riding gear. Take the MSF course.

3 reduce the damage when risks culminate into an accident.
When you do lay the bike down (it'll happen one day), make sure you have proper gear with armor padding and a helmet. Leather pants are much easier to replace than your hide.
ai4px is offline   Reply With Quote