Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old October 4th, 2016, 09:00 AM   #1
mnoob
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Elliott

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

contacts vs. helmet air flow

My contacts start drying out after I've been riding a while, and I end up with somewhat bloodshot eyes by the end of the day. I've noticed that when I've got the mouth port open on my helmet (an AGV K-3), it seems like there is air circulating around in front of my face, which I'm assuming is the problem. (Or, I just don't blink very often when I'm riding.)

Does anyone else have this experience, or not have this experience? If not, what kind of helmet do you have? Thoughts?
mnoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2016, 09:07 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2016, 09:24 AM   #3
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
I can't wear contacts riding. They drive me batsh*t!!!
I wear my glasses. Helmets are all Shoei & Aria both street & off road.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 4th, 2016, 10:23 AM   #4
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Very helmet-specific. Also very specific to the individual; some people have dry eyes to start with.

Do you have a chin curtain? That will change the airflow around your face.

I don't have that particular problem over the short term (e.g. your typical ride of a few hours). Over the course of a whole day, I do get some dryness. Lenses these days are vastly superior to the older ones... they stay wet a lot longer.

I wear contacts only when riding, and do so because in a sportbike riding position I have to crane my neck too much when wearing glasses. With the contacts, no problem. This would not be an issue if I didn't ride a supersport.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2016, 10:27 AM   #5
Chocula
ninjette.org member

Name: Chocula

Motorcycle(s): Lots

I wear a Shoei RF-1200 and use a Quiet Rider Standard Helmet Skirt.

Airflow is minimal on my face unless the chin vent is open. I don't wear contacts anymore, but they would probably be fine as long as the chin vent is closed.
Chocula is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #6
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Flip side is that less flow = more fog.

Basically you can't win, so you might as well hang it up and give me your bike.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2016, 11:21 AM   #7
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

I deal with the dry eyes. I carry a little bottle of solution with me and hit them every once in a while on longer rides. In TX heat I HAVE to get as much airflow to my face as I can.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2016, 11:25 AM   #8
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

most helmets have two types of frontal airflow vents: crown vents, and visor vents. The upper vents are generally the crown vents that push air over your head. These are not likely the ones causing you the issues. The vent on the chin in normally a visor vent that pushes air up the visor to the top of the head (exhaust vents are normally on the top in the back) for fog and visor clearing. That does put air right in your face.

These vents can be (maybe even normally these days) combo vents that push to the visor and to he face and whatnot but they normally do not have separate shut offs for the visor air.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 4th, 2016, 12:47 PM   #9
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

I wear contacts and use a Shoei GT-Air, and I don't have issues with my contacts even with all the vents open. It probably depends more on the person and the contacts than the helmet. I use Air Optix Night and Day lenses, they aren't cheap, but they are damn nice. I've gone to bed more than once forgetting to take them out because I just don't feel them.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2016, 09:50 AM   #10
mnoob
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Elliott

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Thanks for the input, everyone. I think my main issue is probably my eyes: I wear dailies and have to take them out after 10 hours even on days where I'm just inside at work. I've tried taking the chin curtain off, but didn't like the way the helmet caught the wind when I turned my head. Unless it's pretty cool, I need the chin vent open as well. But no, Mr. Fist, you can't have my bike.
mnoob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 12th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #11
fleemos
ninjette.org guru

Name: Darren

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Yamaha FZ6R, 2014 Suzuki GSX-R600

If I don't have the visor vent open then my eyes will get dried out quickly. The helmet position has to be right too, if it's too high up the visor vent blows into my eyes which is even worse. The newer Scorpion(on my EXO-R2000) helmets have a visor vent with two clicks, the lower one blows to face and visor which also causes me a lot of problems with dry eyes.
fleemos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2016, 06:15 AM   #12
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Very helmet-specific. Also very specific to the individual; some people have dry eyes to start with.
This. I have an EXO-500 and Air Optix Night & Day contacts (leave them in for two weeks at a time, replace them monthly). I haven't done any huge touring trips, but I've never even thought about my contacts while riding, up to several hours at a time.

However, my eyes do really well with contacts in general. I've probably worn my glasses a total of a couple weeks' worth of time in the past ~25 years, usually for a few hours the one night a month I take my contacts out. You might check with your eye doctor about trying out different brands of contacts too. I never really had any issues with my previous Acuvues, but these ones are even better. My brother tried a number of brands until he found some that worked for him (he settled on dailies FWIW), and I think his eyes are still less tolerant of them than mine are.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2016, 06:24 AM   #13
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
This. I have an EXO-500 and Air Optix Night & Day contacts (leave them in for two weeks at a time, replace them monthly). I haven't done any huge touring trips, but I've never even thought about my contacts while riding, up to several hours at a time.

However, my eyes do really well with contacts in general. I've probably worn my glasses a total of a couple weeks' worth of time in the past ~25 years, usually for a few hours the one night a month I take my contacts out. You might check with your eye doctor about trying out different brands of contacts too. I never really had any issues with my previous Acuvues, but these ones are even better. My brother tried a number of brands until he found some that worked for him (he settled on dailies FWIW), and I think his eyes are still less tolerant of them than mine are.
Great info! I wasn't aware there would be different comfort levels between brands etc. Perhaps I just need to try a few others.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 19th, 2016, 07:57 PM   #14
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Certain helmets help. You'll notice that helmets like the AGV Pista wrap around closer to your chin, and lower preventing air flow. At the end of a track day, my eyes always look like I smoked something a little, lime green but it's just because I forget to blink, and the air blows at my eyes when I'm hanging off in certain corners. My Bell RS-1 almost completely removed this issue, compared to my HJC CL16, Icon Airmada, and KBC Laguna V2. Chin curtain also helps, but doesn't seem to prevent the issue entirely.