ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 4th, 2020, 08:51 AM   #1
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

What are my throttle bodies sub-throttle doing here?

Have another thread about a race bike I bough that I am trying to fix, as soon as I turn the power on I heard clicking.

I pull the airbox and see this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lebyb07rlh...%20PM.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2cfysw5go...%20PM.mov?dl=0

whats going on here? Do i Need to get a new throttle body? I also ready it could be something with the ECU? I know this ECU is flashed, so maybe they modified the logic of the sub throttle?
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2020, 07:09 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
It's perfectly normal start-up calibration. Unlike main human-controlled throttle-bodies, the sub-throttle-bodies are ECU controlled and DO NOT have TPS sensor.

So imagine you're the ECU and you're sitting in dark room with no idea what's going on in outside world. All have are multiple screens telling status of various sensors. One screen tells you air-temperature. Great! You know whether you should put on sweater or coat. Another screen tells you coolant-temperature. Awesome! Now you know whether you should dump in an extra +20% for cold-starting.

Same with TPS sensor, you'll know how far the human has twisted throttle and can look up appropriate fuel and ignition-advance value on 3D maps.

Now you (ECU} are in complete control of sub-throttles, but without a TPS, how would you know what position the butterflies are in? You don't!! So on start-up, you just spin stepper-motor towards closed position several times you can be sure butterflies are in closed position when engine starts. That way, if some human has messed with sub-throttles by manually manipulating it, you can be sure they're closed by spinning motor towards closed position. If butterflies are already closed, this spinning towards closed just pushes them against the stopper and causes some clicking/rattling sounds. Which is what you're hearing, perfectly normal.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2020, 07:12 PM   #3
daverdfw
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
It's perfectly normal start-up calibration. Unlike main human-controlled throttle-bodies, the sub-throttle-bodies are ECU controlled and DO NOT have TPS sensor.

So imagine you're the ECU and you're sitting in dark room with no idea what's going on in outside world. All have are multiple screens telling status of various sensors. One screen tells you air-temperature. Great! You know whether you should put on sweater or coat. Another screen tells you coolant-temperature. Awesome! Now you know whether you should dump in an extra +20% for cold-starting.

Same with TPS sensor, you'll know how far the human has twisted throttle and can look up appropriate fuel and ignition-advance value on 3D maps.

Now you (ECU} are in complete control of sub-throttles, but without a TPS, how would you know what position the butterflies are ? You don't!! So on start-up, you just spin stepper-motor towards closed position several times you can be sure butterflies are in closed position when engine starts. That way, if some human has messed with sub-throttles by manually manipulating it, you can be sure they're closed by spinning motor towards closed position. If butterflies are already closed, this spinning towards closed just pushes them against the stopper and causes some clicking/rattling sounds. Which is what you're hearing, perfectly normal.
makes sense, but I thought there is a Sub-throttle sensor? there is a TPS sensor which is grey, and then the servor motor has a connector and then on top of the server motor is another sensor with a similar shape to the TPS.

What does that one do? I am getting a radiator tomorrow, so I will be attempting to start the bike and see what happens. I was just wondering what this is doing my other FI bike doesnt make that kinda sound.
daverdfw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2020, 11:12 PM   #4
DannoXYZ

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

Ah.... Test 2ndary TPS's closed position switch. Verify electronically that closed-position signal is properly sent to ECU. That is... signal is same at TPS AND at ECU connector.

Old October 29th, 2020, 11:08 PM   #5
Brandon2020
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ninja 250r

Motorcycle(s): Ninja ex250r

We have the same trouble how did you fix that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverdfw View Post
Have another thread about a race bike I bough that I am trying to fix, as soon as I turn the power on I heard clicking.

I pull the airbox and see this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lebyb07rlh...%20PM.mov?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2cfysw5go...%20PM.mov?dl=0

whats going on here? Do i Need to get a new throttle body? I also ready it could be something with the ECU? I know this ECU is flashed, so maybe they modified the logic of the sub throttle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post

Now you (ECU} are in complete control of sub-throttles, but without a TPS, how would you know what position the butterflies are in? You don't!! So on start-up, you just spin stepper-motor towards closed position several times you can be sure butterflies are in closed position when engine starts. That way, if some human has messed with sub-throttles by manually manipulating it, you can be sure they're closed by spinning motor towards closed position. If butterflies are already closed, this spinning towards closed just pushes them against the stopper and causes some clicking/rattling sounds. Which is what you're hearing, perfectly normal.
Please help meee.. thanks
Brandon2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2020, 11:09 PM   #6
Brandon2020
ninjette.org newbie

Did you fix that problem?

Old October 29th, 2020, 11:09 PM   #7
Brandon2020
ninjette.org newbie

We have the same problem right now.

Old November 9th, 2020, 08:19 PM   #8
DannoXYZ

@Brandon2020

Clicking could be defective sub-throttle sensor. Look up in manual how to test. If bad, replace it.