ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 250 ninja 2002, 2008 ZX10-R

thoughts on emissions removal

Just did it. If you have a non-CA bike, don't worry, you're bike didn't come with any of the equip I removed.

Well, I was hoping for more weight savings, but looks like everything removed is prob in the neighborhood of 1lb or so. So, from a weight standpoint, not so good. Aestehitically, looking at the motor, it looks nicer. And I was a little concerned with some of the temps I was seeing on the temp guage when idleing on a warm day...haven't ridden on a hot day yet. (yes, my radiator is full and I use redline water wetter also). The CA charcoal canister is pegged right up there against the cylinder, which couldn't be good for heat transfer/airflow that help keeps the motor cool.

Any one of these three reasons on their own (weight,looks,cooling issues) wouldn't have been enough to get me to remove the emissions, but collectively, it was enough. Especially with my wife beginning to ride, I wanted to get the bike as light as possible.

For those interested, in order to get the bracket off holding the charcoal canister, you need to remove the lower cowl. You'll need to remove the plastic side panels and seat of course too.

Like some others of you here, I'm really looking forward to the Area P exhaust. Doesn't mean I'll get one...but I'm somewhat excited about the prospect. Again, weight savings or performance gain alone wouldn't make me get the exhaust. But combine both, and it's hard to say no!
speedgsx98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 10:45 AM   #2
kkim

watch out for the hose plumbing for the tank. if not done properly, the tank won't vent and the fuel will stop flowing while on the highway.

as a temporary fix, pop the gas cap each time this happens to you to get you home.

if you do run into this problem, PM Vex as he's found a solution around it.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgsx98 View Post

Like some others of you here, I'm really looking forward to the Area P exhaust. Doesn't mean I'll get one...but I'm somewhat excited about the prospect. Again, weight savings or performance gain alone wouldn't make me get the exhaust. But combine both, and it's hard to say no!
The Area-P system will save you about 18+ lbs.

I am keeping my emissions control stuff because California may be passing a new law which requires bikes to get smog checked similar to cars. This law would affect all 2000+ year models.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 17th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #4
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
watch out for the hose plumbing for the tank. if not done properly, the tank won't vent and the fuel will stop flowing while on the highway.

as a temporary fix, pop the gas cap each time this happens to you to get you home.

if you do run into this problem, PM Vex as he's found a solution around it.
I followed the instructions on nina250.org Assuming everything should be fine. Is this a prob regardless? I capped off the left nipple, and kept the center and right vented, as well as the t fitting on the carb.

Yeah, I'll be keep the emissions anyway. You never know what these commies...ahem, legislators will do to get extra money by charging "inspection" fees...ahem, helping to protect the environment.
speedgsx98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Having been born and raised in California I know all about emissions. I hated it then and hate it now. Engines have become so much more efficient that we almost don't need it any more.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 18th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #6
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Having been born and raised in California I know all about emissions. I hated it then and hate it now. Engines have become so much more efficient that we almost don't need it any more.
Worse yet, some mods that actually increase efficiency are not allowed. Welcome to the world of government regulation.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 25th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purspeed View Post
Worse yet, some mods that actually increase efficiency are not allowed. Welcome to the world of government regulation.
I like what Cali is doing for the most part, trying to keep things cleaner. I don't mind it much.

Things like what you posted is going way overboard.

Plus regulating what you can and can't put on your vehicle of choice is just flat retarded.

"I can't put a supercharger on my Ford Mustang V8 because the gov't says I can't. Yet I have to get it tuned once a year anyway to make sure it is running with the proper air/fuel ratio to prevent my blowing up my motor. So I'm actually making my car run better than a beat up truck that is stock but is 7 years old. I take better care of my car, fix whatever leaks come up, keep it in tip top shape, but I can't put a S/C on it because it isn't CARB approved."

Retarded I tell you!

I think I got it right. Just gathered info from friends that live out there.

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 21st, 2009, 06:04 PM   #8
ASecretNinja
ATGATT Squid Killer

Name: Chad

Motorcycle(s): '06 CBR600

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedgsx98 View Post
The CA charcoal canister is pegged right up there against the cylinder, which couldn't be good for heat transfer/airflow that help keeps the motor cool.
I hate government intrusion into personal life as much as the next guy, but this is a pretty bad excuse, lol. Our bikes are water cooled, man. If the canister were in front of the RADIATOR blocking air flow, I'd remove the ****er in a second, but being off to the side like it is, it's really not hampering engine cooling. Water-cooled motorcycles will always be at the mercy of airflow past the radiator, not past the engine itself Main reason I'm not removing it is because when I decide to sell mine someday, I'm going to want it on there for any prospective buyer. But who knows, maybe I'll say **** it and yank it off in a month or so
ASecretNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2009, 07:33 AM   #9
speedgsx98
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASecretNinja View Post
I hate government intrusion into personal life as much as the next guy, but this is a pretty bad excuse, lol. Our bikes are water cooled, man. If the canister were in front of the RADIATOR blocking air flow, I'd remove the ****er in a second, but being off to the side like it is, it's really not hampering engine cooling. Water-cooled motorcycles will always be at the mercy of airflow past the radiator, not past the engine itself Main reason I'm not removing it is because when I decide to sell mine someday, I'm going to want it on there for any prospective buyer. But who knows, maybe I'll say **** it and yank it off in a month or so
I understand the liquid cooling factor of the engine, don't get me wrong, but airflow over the engine can still contribute, even if a small amount. The charcoal canister prevents the air from wrapping around the left side cylinder and around to the back as well. But I'm writing to update here.

After riding around for a bit, I think I've come to the conclusion that I should have left it on there. Not really digging the gas smell. Sigh, but too lazy to put the emissions back on. So, unless you like smelling raw fuel smell while stopped at lights, ideling, leave the emissions on. That last 1.5 lbs or so isn't really worth it.