ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old June 29th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[topix.net] - Confusion Over Missouri Helmet Law - KTVI

"It is hot but I'd rather be hot than bash my head in," on one of the hottest days of the year Missouri motorcyclist Larry Reifstick would rather be heated than harmed, others would like to leave the helmet at home. "I just drove through Arkansas with a few other friends and we all had our helmets off," says motorcyclist Elmer Ferguson, "but as soon as we got back into Missouri there was a police officer telling us to put them back on."

Ed Hardy Helmets. That could change soon, but it hasn't yet. While the state legislature did pass a bill that would allow going helmetless on most Missouri roads except interstates, that bill still waits on the governor's desk. Whether its confusion or courage some are breaking the law by not wearing a helmet.
"I see them without all of the time," says Reifstick, "I saw two or three of them just today, I think most of them think the law as already gone into effect."
The Highway Patrol knows it hasn't gone into effect. Troopers issuing a reminder to motorcyclists that they can and will ticket those going helmetless. The bill waits for the governor's action and even if he had signed it already it would be august before going leaving the helmet off would be legal. If Governor Nixon doesn't veto nor sign it, then the bill would automatically become law July 14th. It would be by the end of August before it would take effect. So until then the debate continues and for the time being, so does having to have a helmet on.
"Most bikers I have spoken with would prefer to have the choice," says Ferguson as he strapped on his helmet to head home."

Click here for full story...