Notices

Old May 29th, 2010, 02:47 PM   #1
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
staying stable over bumps mid-turn

this is something i've been wondering about... some of the turns i frequent have bumps/uneven road midway through the turn. i find myself feeding more gas with more of my weight on my outside foot rather than the inside... not sure why this feels better to me... maybe i'm pushing down more on the back wheel? it seems completely wrong. can someone explain this? or explain the "right" way to deal with bumps when you're leaned over?

Thanks,
--alex

Old May 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
kkim

how bad are the bumps... enough to cause the suspension to chatter?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2010, 02:53 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the front gets a bit wobbly. i'd say they're about a 1 to 2 inch difference in height in about 2 feet.

Old May 29th, 2010, 04:02 PM   #4
ninja250
You are sleeping

Name: Casey

Motorcycle(s): 2

Keep loose and absorb it. Just don't tense up (very bad in a bumpy situation to lock up your arms and get creeped out).. Keep going to way you are and slightly ease off the juice and slow down some.
If at all possible, you have to try and steer around them by seeing them before they come. If not possible you need to absorb them.
ninja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #5
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

If you didn't see the bumps early enough to avoid them by changing your line then just continue on, stay smooth, as if the bumps weren't there. DON'T slightly ease off the throttle, DON'T try to slow down.

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #6
ninja250
You are sleeping

I don't think you understand what I mean by slightly ease off the throttle some but whatever. It's not something that can even be done until after you pass the obstacle. In oter words, slow down if you can't handle the bumps in the turn so you do t have to deal with them in the next turn.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #7
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
I don't think you understand what I mean by slightly ease off the throttle some but whatever. It's not something that can even be done until after you pass the obstacle. In oter words, slow down if you can't handle the bumps in the turn so you do t have to deal with them in the next turn.
Posted via Mobile Device
otay

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:48 PM   #8
ninja250
You are sleeping

Equal weight transfer is something that is not disasterous. Slightly easing off the throttle is a micro adjustment that isn't even actaully backing off the throttle at all, If you want to be technical about it. Just don't apply any more throttle until the bike catches up to the throttle you already have applied, and then slow down by further releasing the throttle. It's not going to buck you off to slow Down during a turn with bumps if you relax and don't kill the weight transfer and traction to the wheels. You have to feather the controls. I do it pretty much every day. I slowed down in bumpy corners today without problems.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 29th, 2010, 06:58 PM   #9
rockNroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250 View Post
equal weight transfer is something that is not disasterous. Slightly easing off the throttle is a micro adjustment that isn't even actaully backing off the throttle at all, if you want to be technical about it. Just don't apply any more throttle until the bike catches up to the throttle you already have applied, and then slow down by further releasing the throttle. It's not going to buck you off to slow down during a turn with bumps if you relax and don't kill the weight transfer and traction to the wheels. You have to feather the controls. I do it pretty much every day. I slowed down in bumpy corners today without problems.
posted via mobile device

lol you serious?

Old May 29th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #10
ninja250
You are sleeping

Yep.

I slow down on some of the bumpiest roads and freeway offramps in southern Cali.
I know it's possible.
I bet you crank the juice an highside instead right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old May 29th, 2010, 09:10 PM   #11
ninja250
You are sleeping

Make sure you don't try to slow down for this bumpy corner stopped intersection when coming off the freeway at speed. Don't ease off the throttle either. The asphalt here is crap. Make sure you hit it at max speed.

Old May 30th, 2010, 01:02 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it's not that i am hitting a bump that i haven't seen that could be avoided by a line change. it's that i'm trying to get over a bump that i cannot avoid and know is there in the quickest/most controlled manner possible. hitting the bump causes the front suspension to be upset first, which i think is why i find myself on the gas trying to lighten the front. then as the front's coming back down, the rear hits. if i'm on the gas, i'll wheelie it ever slightly, but keep the back down and it feels stable as the front comes back smoothely. if i keep the gas steady, the front comes down alot quicker, but the rear feels like its losing traction and wants to slide out... i'd be scared to back off the throttle for fear of losing my front end's traction and lowsiding when hitting the bump...
its the same effect (but more sudden) as going over the crest of a hill mid-turn. you're leaned over, but all the sudden the road drops out from under your front tire.
i think the reason it may feel better putting my weight on the outside is simply because its more "on top" of the bike and its a better angle to use my legs as suspension... still seems like this must be wrong though.

where do you guys put your weight if you feel like your rear is losing too much traction from a sudden drop? or do you not move your weight at all and keep it about 70/30 on the inside even if its starting to push?

Old May 30th, 2010, 05:56 AM   #13
ninja250
You are sleeping

When you're leaned over in the turn and about to hit a bump you start doing wheelies?

I even out the weight transfer and steer it out.

Just me though.

I stand evenly on the pegs unless I'm really leaned, then most of the weight is all on one peg. If a bump comes, all my weight is still on that one peg. The other foot is only barely touching the peg.

I don't do anything if I see a bump coming other than very slightly (this is a very small adjustment) let off the throttle to even out the weight transfer of the bike.

Unless it's a dirtbike and I see a huge pothole coming that I need to clear, then I gas it. I don't really lean over 45* on dirtbikes though so that wouldn't apply. I wouldn't be riding somewhere with huge potholes big enough on a street bike to require I gas the throttle to clear the hole.