ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 6th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #41
edxmon
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R (SOLD - 2/16/2013)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanDog View Post
Just from the tachometer, I have it set around 1200-1500, Suzuki spec I think is around 1100. The idle speed adjustment screw is just below the carbs on the left side. The idle mixture screws are directly under each carb.

Idle mixture is extremely sensitive, like 1/2 a turn can cause your bike not to run. Although I got a ton of help from the bandit forum from a couple people, honestly most people there are burnt out from the same questions for the past 15 years and no one is motivated to create a FAQ to cover the carbs; "use the search" is all they say.

Gas tank: I did like a 5 day vinegar soak, rinsed with water then acetone, then used the Caswell epoxy tank coating kit ($45, http://www.caswellplating.com/restor...al-1-pint.html). Worked great, be sure and follow the directions carefully.

Despite all the negatives, I have to say I am getting a consistent 60 miles per gallon on the bike now, both commuting and in the twisties, with of course more power than a 250 especially at higher speeds. I think it's a great fit for smaller riders, the seat is lower and the peg-to-seat height is actually smaller than a pregen.
Thanks for getting back to me on those questions.

One last thing:

How tall are you? I keep hearing this is a bike for smaller riders. The new gen ninjette was just about the right size for me, I'm 5'11" 175lb and from the bike ergonomics website it shoes the stock seat height is about 3" higher on the bandit, which would be fine, but my legs ARE a little long, worried about that. I'm supposed to go check it out this weekend.

Old March 6th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #42
AlanDog
ninjette.org guru

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, 2009 KLX250-SF, 2014 Zero S

I'm like 5' 10" 180 lbs. Yes it looks like the bandit and the newgen are very similar, so if you're happy with the newgen the bandit will probably be fine.

But I know on my pregen I measured the seat to footpeg distance and the Bandit was smaller -- I think I have it in the post, it was like 1 1/2 inches, pretty significant. It felt a little more leg cramped when I had both bikes to compare. You can pretty easily mod the seat by adding more foam, as the seat slopes downward and can be filled in to raise it.... but again, this is another mod that needs to be done...

Ride comfort is a big deal for me because I like to do all-day rides when I can. The bandit is not uncomfortable or cramped when I'm just commuting to work (20 minutes).
AlanDog is offline   Reply With Quote