ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 10th, 2024, 11:56 AM   #1
Jakel57
ninjette.org member

Name: Jake

Motorcycle(s): 1988 ninja 250r

Issues with 1988 ninjette

What’s up guys, I was taking my bike for my first spin around the neighborhood and when I shifted from second down to first with the clutch in the bike just died on me. Happened 2 times on my ride of about 15 minutes. When trying to start back up there was a good bit of smoke from the crank case breather. Could this be user error? I am a new rider. I am also realizing that the coolant is not cycling through the system, can it be over heating?
Jakel57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2024, 01:09 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakel57 View Post
What’s up guys, I was taking my bike for my first spin around the neighborhood and when I shifted from second down to first with the clutch in the bike just died on me. Happened 2 times on my ride of about 15 minutes. When trying to start back up there was a good bit of smoke from the crank case breather. Could this be user error?
Exactly when did the engine stop running? Was it it when you first pulled in the clutch lever, or when you let it back out? The problem could be related to the safety switches. Are you sure the side stand was fully retracted? If it bounced down and released that switch button, then letting out the clutch could kill spark.

Quote:
I am a new rider. I am also realizing that the coolant is not cycling through the system, can it be over heating?
If coolant is not circulating, then yes, it could be overheating. How do you know it's not circulating? It circulates only when the thermostat is open. Did you watch it though a cycle of the thermostat opening and closing again? What does the temperature gauge read while you're riding?
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2024, 01:31 PM   #3
Jakel57
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Exactly when did the engine stop running? Was it it when you first pulled in the clutch lever, or when you let it back out? The problem could be related to the safety switches. Are you sure the side stand was fully retracted? If it bounced down and released that switch button, then letting out the clutch could kill spark.

When coming to a stop sign I was in second so I pulled in the clutch and shifted to first and kept it in while coasting to the sign. Bike died on the way to the sign probably about a second after shifting to first

If coolant is not circulating, then yes, it could be overheating. How do you know it's not circulating? It circulates only when the thermostat is open. Did you watch it though a cycle of the thermostat opening and closing again? What does the temperature gauge read while you're riding?
I figured it wasn’t circulating cause the reservior was full, not realizing that was a stupid thing to think cause it circulates. The temp gauge is pretty low when riding, doesn’t move much honestly.

Old April 10th, 2024, 02:11 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakel57 View Post
I figured it wasn’t circulating cause the reservior was full, not realizing that was a stupid thing to think cause it circulates. The temp gauge is pretty low when riding, doesn’t move much honestly.
As long as it rises a little it's probably working, but if you let it idle in your driveway for a while, it should eventually rise noticeably.

Quote:
When coming to a stop sign I was in second so I pulled in the clutch and shifted to first and kept it in while coasting to the sign. Bike died on the way to the sign probably about a second after shifting to first
At this point I can't tell you why that happened. Will it idle for minutes at a time in neutral, or could it just be that the idle circuits of the carbs are dirty?

Old April 10th, 2024, 02:43 PM   #5
Jakel57
ninjette.org member

Quote:
As long as it rises a little it's probably working, but if you let it idle in your driveway for a while, it should eventually rise noticeably.

At this point I can't tell you why that happened. Will it idle for minutes at a time in neutral, or could it just be that the idle circuits of the carbs are dirty?
I fully cleaned the carbs and rebuilt them, it will idle in the driveway fine in neutral, I feel like I may be downshifting wrong when coming to stops and that may be the issue. When I’m in second coming to a stop I pull in the clutch shift down, and keep it in while coasting to a stop. Is that correct?

Old April 10th, 2024, 02:46 PM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

That's fine. You could try shifting to neutral instead and see if there's any difference. If the clutch is not fully releasing, the drag could stall the engine if it's in first gear and you stop.

Old April 10th, 2024, 02:51 PM   #7
Jakel57
ninjette.org member

Quote:
That's fine. You could try shifting to neutral instead and see if there's any difference. If the clutch is not fully releasing, the drag could stall the engine if it's in first gear and you stop.
Okay, I appreciate your help. I will give that a try tonight or tomorrow and report back.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 12th, 2024, 06:44 PM   #8
Jakel57
ninjette.org member

Quote:
So today I put more coolant in the radiator, filled the gas tank and took her out for a ride, the same things were happening. I still don’t think coolant is circulating due to the fact that the resivour is still completely full.(shouldn’t the levels drop a little bit if it’s circulating?

Old April 12th, 2024, 07:18 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Coolant level doesn't drop when it circulates. It drops a little when the engine is cold, and rises when it's hot. You won't get far if it's not circulating.

Unexplained stalling is sometimes caused by a clogged gas tank vent.