ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 10th, 2009, 09:37 PM   #1
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Oil Pressure Indicator Question

As you all know, the oil indicator light briefly lights up after starting the engine. When I bought my ninjette from the previous owner, it would turn off within 1 or 2 seconds after a cold start. I'm not sure what oil was in there, but it was fully synthetic. I've changed the oil to Mobil 10w-40 synthetic and switched out the oil filter as well to a Fram CH6012 (or whatever it is that's compatible with the ninja 250). On cold start now, the oil pressure light will stay on for several seconds, sometimes as long as 6-7 seconds after starting. Is this a problem? Any idea why there might be the difference (i.e. weight of oil, characteristics of filter brand, something I did wrong during oil change, etc)

Anybody else have something comparable?
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM   #2
kkim

did you set the oil level correctly in the sight glass?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #3
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuslars View Post
As you all know, the oil indicator light briefly lights up after starting the engine. When I bought my ninjette from the previous owner, it would turn off within 1 or 2 seconds after a cold start. I'm not sure what oil was in there, but it was fully synthetic. I've changed the oil to Mobil 10w-40 synthetic and switched out the oil filter as well to a Fram CH6012 (or whatever it is that's compatible with the ninja 250). On cold start now, the oil pressure light will stay on for several seconds, sometimes as long as 6-7 seconds after starting. Is this a problem? Any idea why there might be the difference (i.e. weight of oil, characteristics of filter brand, something I did wrong during oil change, etc)

Anybody else have something comparable?
The reason why that is happening is because of the oil fill level. The prior oil fill level was such that it filled the fuel filter nice and good.

Now, it's taking a bit longer because you have less oil in there. It has nothing to do with oil type or viscosity.

If you want, you can add some oil to the upper line (not past that line) and that will fix your delay.

At the same time, while the light is on, DO NOT rev your engine.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 07:42 AM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
This is normal. This always happens to me when I change the filter and oil. The oil filter itself probably holds at least 8 Oz. of oil.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2009, 10:22 AM   #5
Purspeed
ninjette.org guru

Name: Purspeed

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
This is normal. This always happens to me when I change the filter and oil. The oil filter itself probably holds at least 8 Oz. of oil.
This is why it's good practice to fill the oil, then run the engine. Wait. Then check the level and top off. But, keep the oil level BELOW the top line.

This will ensure a complete fill and quick pressurization of the oil...or, in other words, the red light will turn off quick.

"This is my Ninja. There are many like it, but this one is mine..." ~ Purspeed (ca. Nov, 2008)
Purspeed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #6
minuslars
ninjette.org member

Name: Arthur

Motorcycle(s): '03 EX250

Interestingly, I actually put MORE oil in there than was in there previously. While doing the oil change, I did put approx 1.5 L in, started the engine for a few seconds to pull oil into the filter, and then topped it off to about 1.8 L total (judging by the graduations on the oil cans. When I check the sight glass, the oil level is juuuussst below the top line (I check with both wheels on the ground and the bike level / perpendicular to the ground).

Well, it's strange but I suppose as long as it's not doing any damage it's no biggie?
minuslars is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #7
bobaab
ninjette.org member

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250

As long as it's disappearing and NOT coming back while you are riding, you should be fine.
bobaab is offline   Reply With Quote