ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM   #1
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jack

Motorcycle(s): Red 2009 Ninja 250r

upgrades

Im wanting to get a 600 this winter but I can't decide what I like. I'm definitely keeping the ninjette but I can't decide if I want to stay loyal to kawasaki and get a Zx6r or go with a gixxer

Old September 1st, 2011, 01:27 PM   #2
Blackwidow
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

all fantastic choices, me personally, i like the gixxers...strickly cuz of looks.

Old September 1st, 2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Live2ride

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I have yet to sit on a gixxer but I have satten on a cbr 600rr and that thing is extremely comfortable for me. I have heard that gixxers are so popular because they feel as good to ride as they look. If I ever upgrade I doubt it will be to a zx-6r; That's not even close to the top of my list.

Old September 1st, 2011, 06:06 PM   #4
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

You might want to wait before getting on a bigger bike.
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 06:25 PM   #5
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

you only have 42 posts you will probably have a fatal error just because of that :P jk why in such a hurry to get somthing faster?

Old September 1st, 2011, 07:34 PM   #6
caps
Sexy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
you only have 42 posts you will probably have a fatal error just because of that :P jk why in such a hurry to get somthing faster?
I would be more worried about the fact that he currently uses tire shine

Old September 1st, 2011, 07:43 PM   #7
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

That was one mistake haha its taken so long to get that stuff off and its still not completely off. Never again. But I'm planning on getting something bigger I'm winter or early spring so I was just seeing what everybody else likes. Never ever put tire shine on a bike though its dangerous but even more it sucks to get off when you realize its a bad move haha

Old September 1st, 2011, 07:48 PM   #8
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

Personally I think the new GSXR's are ugly, but they are very well performing now.

I personally wouldn't buy a new cbr because I think they might revamp it soon, as it is very due. Though out of the 2 choices I would get a CBR because it has the looks, the least aggressive position and a very linear powerband.
kingkang204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 07:51 PM   #9
caps
Sexy Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkang204 View Post
Personally I think the new GSXR's are ugly, but they are very well performing now.

I personally wouldn't buy a new cbr because I think they might revamp it soon, as it is very due. Though out of the 2 choices I would get a CBR because it has the looks, the least aggressive position and a very linear powerband.
Japanese one has been all over the interwebs

2012 CBR1K

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:18 PM   #10
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps View Post
Japanese one has been all over the interwebs

2012 CBR1K
I stand corrected, its already happened. I did a quick google search and read that it's possibly a v4? thats really outside the box for honda. But I dont think I'll ever ride a 1000cc bike in my life (Ducati Streetfighter is the exception)

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:25 PM   #11
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Same engine. New suspension, and that's apparently about it (other than some styling tweaks).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:29 PM   #12
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Same engine. New suspension, and that's apparently about it (other than some styling tweaks).
So no V-4? That doesn't seem like something Honda would do to a well established bike. The headlights look a little different still I don't think a 1000CC bike is really necessary for the road, although I have never ridden one.

Old September 1st, 2011, 08:37 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkang204 View Post
So no V-4?
Nope.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82917
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82978
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=82967

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 1st, 2011, 09:00 PM   #14
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Sticking with the supersports? I've been eyeing the versys or ER-6N for a while now. Kinda want something different. Maybe even a dualsport to do some unpaved road riding.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:00 AM   #15
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
go vintage... kz1000 cafe racer!

Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:26 AM   #16
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

What's the point of having 2 bikes at your age?
And do you need a bigger bike? Like are you contantly pushing this one?
Or do you shift at like 5 or 6 everytime and take corners at speed limit?

Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:35 AM   #17
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

I too am looking to upgrade. Not immediately, but in the future. Why is everyone on this forum so against people wanting a bigger motorcycle?

My ninjette is an 01, has been quite modified by PO's, to the point I don't think I'd ever be able to get it close to stock. And if my winter attempts to get it back to as close to stock as possible don't pan out, I will be in the market for a new ride soon. People get jumped on for being too shortsighted, then people get jumped on for looking ahead. What gives?
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:46 AM   #18
setasai

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
I too am looking to upgrade. Not immediately, but in the future. Why is everyone on this forum so against people wanting a bigger motorcycle?

My ninjette is an 01, has been quite modified by PO's, to the point I don't think I'd ever be able to get it close to stock. And if my winter attempts to get it back to as close to stock as possible don't pan out, I will be in the market for a new ride soon. People get jumped on for being too shortsighted, then people get jumped on for looking ahead. What gives?
Posted via Mobile Device
It happens. It's just the type of forum we're on where many, not all, are so enthusiastic about the 250. If you ask the same question at say BARF or a broader kawasaki forum, they'll be convincing you to upgrade all the time. I've decided that if I want to upgrade, and i do, I probably wont ask anybody for opinions since it's about what i want not about what other people want.

Back on topic, would you be looking at supersports? I find alot of people here keep the same sport styling and upgrade to a supersport while I'm actually thinking about a versys or maybe a sport tourer instead. Just to have some variety.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM   #19
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

wait a little bit. you're afraid to go past 9k rpms on your 250. therefore youll be afraid to go past...4k? on your 600.
azimmer11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:43 AM   #20
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

It not that many are against upgrading. Many people here own or have owned very fast and capable bikes. The advice given is wise. There are many new riders on here that think just because it seems logical to move up that it is indeed the right choice at the right time.

I'm all for having a bigger bike in the stable. IF you are mature enough and have enough experience under your belt. Either way you will do what you want and in the end it's your funeral if you get in over your head.

That being said, is your decision based on looks or performance? Performance wise I would go with a twin bike, not new, and there are many choices in the range. For starters they look just as good as any I4 bike, your exhaust note will make them weep over the fact that you are now awesome, and there is a certain flair or idontknowwhat that comes with owning a twin sport or SS bike.

If not get a used gixxer. Everyone has them so you are sure to be popular.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:11 PM   #21
DjDiablo
ninjette.org member

Name: Djalma

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250R 2010 - FI - Blue

Man i think u should plan on going the ride school... i got my ninja for like 4 moths and i plan on gething a 600cc+ in 3 years... (dont think i will sell my ninja 250r)... 600cc+ is not a toy like a 250cc+ is (not in the bad way i love all 250cc but the power is way diferent)... no one can ever say they know every thing about a bike... even the smartest runer can make mistake a lose his or her life... with he 250cc u can already die so wait a bit more and chill with your bike and try to get pro... than when time is right get a 600cc...

Good luck...

I am full kawa... ZX6R but with alot of mods...
DjDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:12 PM   #22
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

how many miles have you ridden?

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:23 PM   #23
JLinde1339
Fighterer in Training

Name: Joshua

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250R

Its not about a popularity contest. Its about riding what we want to ride. Like I said, I plan to do some work on mine in the winter, as I think the power is extremely lacking and sluggish, for ninjette standards, not just "riding fast" standards. If I can get my baby dialed in just right, and can get the performance to where I want it, then I'll be happy come next spring. If I can't, then I'll be in the market. I don't know what the PO's did (or didn't do). My pipes have been chopped. Don't know if the carbs were compensated with that. The bolt holes have been removed from the frame, so I can't even put the brackets on to support the stock exhaust system. The chain appears to be the original (with 15k miles). Its my first bike. I was aware of all this when I bought it. I look at it as a project bike that I'm also learning on. I would keep it if I got a new one. My internal debate is to get a new(er) 250 or move up. And I have looked for and read the advice on here and taken it to heart. Its when people start to get judgmental about people airing out their intentions in order to gain some insight that gets under my skin. The OP asked a reasonable question. I see it as perfectly reasonable to ask questions about the differences between bike sizes and what to expect.
Posted via Mobile Device
JLinde1339 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:29 PM   #24
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
honestly, I don't care if you upgrade. The important part is that you learn what you need to know before you get a bigger bike. Go do a ticket to ride event and then borrow someone elses bigger bike for a week. I rode a cbr600F3 for 2 months this summer, and then went to T2R and rode everything (650R, 1000, ZX14, vulcan900) that I could. I can honestly say that I am perfectly comfortable on a bigger bike, and know how to handle it, but I flat out like my 250 too much to justify replacing it. if you want to replace your 250 with a bigger bike, go for it; just make sure that you know what you're getting into before you do it. You'll learn a lot on a 250 when you push it, which is a good thing because that knowledge transfers to EVERY motorcycle ever made. If you get a bigger bike before you learn on the 250, you'll get into problems on a bike that is nowhere as forgiving as the 250. That's why there's so many people on this forum who urge people not to buy a bigger bike just for more power/better looks.

plus so many of us (myself included) know exactly what these bikes can do, and love them for it. It somewhat offends us when people trade for a bigger bike without ever experiencing that love because that's what this forum is all about; sharing the love for the Ninja 250R.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 2nd, 2011, 12:30 PM   #25
azimmer11
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLinde1339 View Post
Its not about a popularity contest. Its about riding what we want to ride. Like I said, I plan to do some work on mine in the winter, as I think the power is extremely lacking and sluggish, for ninjette standards, not just "riding fast" standards. If I can get my baby dialed in just right, and can get the performance to where I want it, then I'll be happy come next spring. If I can't, then I'll be in the market. I don't know what the PO's did (or didn't do). My pipes have been chopped. Don't know if the carbs were compensated with that. The bolt holes have been removed from the frame, so I can't even put the brackets on to support the stock exhaust system. The chain appears to be the original (with 15k miles). Its my first bike. I was aware of all this when I bought it. I look at it as a project bike that I'm also learning on. I would keep it if I got a new one. My internal debate is to get a new(er) 250 or move up. And I have looked for and read the advice on here and taken it to heart. Its when people start to get judgmental about people airing out their intentions in order to gain some insight that gets under my skin. The OP asked a reasonable question. I see it as perfectly reasonable to ask questions about the differences between bike sizes and what to expect.
Posted via Mobile Device
its important for everyone to give their own input too though. the OP seems to be new to motorcycles from other posts ive seen from him. i'm sure he'd be happy to get a little more experience with the 250 before moving up to the 600 if his life depended on it

Old September 2nd, 2011, 01:16 PM   #26
DarC
DUCEATR

650r, er6n, sv650, Gladius.

If you HAVE to do it I now, I say aim for these.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 01:02 AM   #27
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

I think op want a super so he for image :P really tire shine XD

Old September 3rd, 2011, 04:12 PM   #28
CynicalC

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Quote:
Originally Posted by azimmer11 View Post
how many miles have you ridden?

Old September 3rd, 2011, 06:59 PM   #29
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

Yamaha R6's are tight.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM   #30
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011Ninja250R View Post
Yamaha R6's are tight.
The body position for long distance riding is not friendly, but you would know you have a 675 which is worse (or better depending how you look at it). The problem with r6's is that all the power is on the top end, like most 600's, so you really have to rev it. But by reving it so much youre most likely speeding so.... You're choice

Old September 5th, 2011, 09:00 AM   #31
blink
Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
It not that many are against upgrading. Many people here own or have owned very fast and capable bikes. The advice given is wise. There are many new riders on here that think just because it seems logical to move up that it is indeed the right choice at the right time.

I'm all for having a bigger bike in the stable. IF you are mature enough and have enough experience under your belt. Either way you will do what you want and in the end it's your funeral if you get in over your head.

That being said, is your decision based on looks or performance? Performance wise I would go with a twin bike, not new, and there are many choices in the range. For starters they look just as good as any I4 bike, your exhaust note will make them weep over the fact that you are now awesome, and there is a certain flair or idontknowwhat that comes with owning a twin sport or SS bike.

If not get a used gixxer. Everyone has them so you are sure to be popular.

...errrh not really.
The people who had have bigger bikes have never bashed on them or said they're ****....yes they've said they love the 250 the most....

Old September 5th, 2011, 09:03 AM   #32
blink
Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarC View Post
650r, er6n, sv650, Gladius.

If you HAVE to do it I now, I say aim for these.
OP said zx or gxxer, your suggestions are completely different.
my buddy has an sv650 and let me tell you i feel WAY more comfortable on my gixxer and zx6r's than his bike because of the seating and riding position. this was even before i bought mine and had ridden his plenty

Old September 5th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #33
DarC
DUCEATR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
...errrh not really.
The people who had have bigger bikes have never bashed on them or said they're ****....yes they've said they love the 250 the most....
And neither have I. I don't understand your point here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
OP said zx or gxxer, your suggestions are completely different.
my buddy has an sv650 and let me tell you i feel WAY more comfortable on my gixxer and zx6r's than his bike because of the seating and riding position. this was even before i bought mine and had ridden his plenty
I know my suggestions are different, and they are that way for a reason. OP is new. I am suggesting solid bikes that he should look into, I'm not forcing him to buy anything I have mentioned, just providing a glint of an idea. If he wants a SS, then he can go get one.

Rather than contradict each other's posts, how about we try to provide actual reasons that sway us one way or another. In order to help the OP why is it that you feel WAY more comfortable on a SS rather than a standard?

Less squibbling and more facts..

Old September 5th, 2011, 09:36 AM   #34
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

The dealerships where I live the 600cc SS are only 1-2k more than a Sv650 and I mean at that point I think most people wil go with the SS.

If the sv650sf were a little cheaper I would ride it.

Old September 5th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #35
DarC
DUCEATR

Well, two different bikes for two different riders. I don't think there is much compromising there.

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:18 AM   #36
AeroXtasy
New 2-Wheel Addict

Name: Reece

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2009 250r Kawasaki Ninja

You just got your bike, didn't you? Are you crazy?

Just get a Hayabusa and load it with TireShine. Honestly, not a good move. I am very new to motorcycles and I know I don't need anything larger. A 250 is perfect to start out riding, I'd make sure you are completely confident that you'll know what you're doing before upgrading.

Old September 5th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #37
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

I like tge zx6 over the gixxer with the main reason being everyone has a gixxer. I also love ho the zx looks. Performance is there on both bikes so either way you will have a bad ass bike. If i could deal with the SS riding stance the zx is where i would go.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 5th, 2011, 11:24 AM   #38
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:06 PM   #39
OGjackafidy
ninjette.org member

ive had my bike since may...yall are acting like i got it 2 weeks ago

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #40
DarC
DUCEATR

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you slept at a holiday inn express.

5 months and you are ready to turn it in. I just hope you are a responsible young'un and when you do get a bigger bike you respect it.

That aside, all the 600's are pretty much even keel. Pick which ever brand comes in your favorite color and fits your inseam.