Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old July 11th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #1
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Best town in Cali?

I'm headed to Cali in September until the end of the year. I'm looking for a great place to live while I'm there. Where is the best town to live between LA and San Fran?

I will be cruising the state for fun things to do, great restaurants to eat at, great roads to ride, and all the scenic sites. I've been to Cali a few times but never for an extended stay like this. Any suggestions will be considered.

I'm not really looking to live in a big city but I don't want such a small town that there is nothing to do. I'll be busy with football Fridays and Saturdays but I have the rest of the week free to explore.

Old July 11th, 2010, 03:30 PM   #2
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

my favorites are santa monica and santa barbara, oxnard and venture are nice to. if your into the beach and whatnot. never fails, in my opinion.
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 03:51 PM   #3
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Make sure to stop by and look me up....Glendora, CA- we'll hit the infamous GMR
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 04:55 PM   #4
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I just checked and the games are in the Fresno and San Fran area every Saturday. I'll probably try the Monterey area unless someone knows something better. I wonder if there is a track around there? I have the use of a Yamaha 600 in Vista so I'll be down for the famous GMR ride and also for some Willow time. If everything works out I'll bring a couple bikes out later in the fall.

I live on the beach now so maybe the mountains would be a nice change. I've done all the parks but only in a car. I bet they are fun on a bike (after the tourists leave).

Is there a helmet law in Cali?

Old July 11th, 2010, 07:37 PM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Does that mean no trips up to Rhody?
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 07:46 PM   #6
adri99an

Name: Donger

Motorcycle(s): "Is that a Ninjer 1000?"

Helmet law just for those over 40....I've got 2 more years and it's helmet time for me......

Monterey is beeeaauutiiifuul....good riding there.....
adri99an is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 08:23 PM   #7
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Name: LMG

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja EX250J

did you score that photographer gig?
petiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #8
JBar215
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja EX250, 2005 SV650S

When do you move out here? I live maybe 20 miles north of Monterey and the scenery is amazing around here! But if i could recommend a place it would be Big Sur.
JBar215 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 11:04 PM   #9
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Compton.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #10
green_sag
ninjette.org newbie

Name: kiyoji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 ninja 250r

Laguna seca is about 10 miles east of monterey, thats a cool place to go to, if you can make it down to san luis obispo, theres some really nice roads in that area (mostly cruising) there is a really nice twisty road called prefumo canyon but ill warn you now part of it is dirt...., good places to eat in the area are woodstocks(amazing pizza) and firestone(even greater tri tip) and they are across the street from each other
green_sag is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2010, 02:17 AM   #11
hybridxx
ninjette.org member

Name: Rodrigo

Motorcycle(s): Someday..

ah, monterey is rly nice to. visted there once, great place.
hybridxx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2010, 01:46 PM   #12
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinthesaddleagain View Post
Does that mean no trips up to Rhody?
Greg, I was up to the Island last month. It rained. I'll still be going there

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_sag View Post
Laguna seca is about 10 miles east of monterey, thats a cool place to go to, if you can make it down to san luis obispo, theres some really nice roads in that area (mostly cruising) there is a really nice twisty road called prefumo canyon but ill warn you now part of it is dirt...., good places to eat in the area are woodstocks(amazing pizza) and firestone(even greater tri tip) and they are across the street from each other
I've been to Monterey a few times and find it beautiful (I actually rode my race bike down "17 mile drive" in Pebble Beach, numbers and all, back in 1984). Thanks for the foodie tips. I'm looking online and I might have a problem finding a furnished place for only 4 months. I'm trying for a house since I need the garage for the vehicles.

Since I live at the beach now I was thinking maybe the moutains would be a nice change. Any suggestions? I'll be there September through December.

I have a month to find something so I'm up for any and all suggestions.

Old July 13th, 2010, 12:20 PM   #13
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I'm headed to Cali in September until the end of the year. I'm looking for a great place to live while I'm there. Where is the best town to live between LA and San Fran?

I will be cruising the state for fun things to do, great restaurants to eat at, great roads to ride, and all the scenic sites. I've been to Cali a few times but never for an extended stay like this. Any suggestions will be considered.

I'm not really looking to live in a big city but I don't want such a small town that there is nothing to do. I'll be busy with football Fridays and Saturdays but I have the rest of the week free to explore.
PASADENA!!!! It could be a biased opinion cuz i live there but its nice, its a self contained city with a lot great things to do. We also have Angeles Crest super close by so you can take a nice ride in the canyon. its close to everything, hollywood, Universal, all the beaches.
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #14
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwidow View Post
PASADENA!!!! It could be a biased opinion cuz i live there but its nice, its a self contained city with a lot great things to do. We also have Angeles Crest super close by so you can take a nice ride in the canyon. its close to everything, hollywood, Universal, all the beaches.
I have to be between Fresno and San Fran every weekend for football games. Although SOCAL is a great place to hangout, it makes a long drive to attend the games. I don't want the LA paparazzi bothering me all the time either. I'll come down to LA to visit during the week (my sister lives in Vista, and I have to ride those killa roads you guys have) but I need to have a more central location to make the weekend games.

I live on the water right now so it's not a must to be near the beach (unless that's the only place the ladies are?).

What's the drinking age in Cali?

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:43 PM   #15
kkim

Quote:
Don't you mean... age of consent?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM   #16
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Kelly, I was getting to that.

Old July 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM   #17
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by adri99an View Post
Helmet law just for those over 40....I've got 2 more years and it's helmet time for me......

Monterey is beeeaauutiiifuul....good riding there.....
Hi guys, I joined because I wasn't sure if he was serious about the age 40 thing (don't want you to get a ticket because of that). I live in San Diego and I'm pretty sure for CA all riders and passengers are required to wear a helmet. If you're riding a bicycle, it's 17 and younger. The helmet law passed in 1992 for the state unless it's changed since then (tons of riders here and never seen one without a helmet). Good luck!
Drinking age is 21, but if you ever ride to Mexico it's 18.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Hi guys, I joined because I wasn't sure if he was serious about the age 40 thing (don't want you to get a ticket because of that). I live in San Diego and I'm pretty sure for CA all riders and passengers are required to wear a helmet. If you're riding a bicycle, it's 17 and younger. The helmet law passed in 1992 for the state unless it's changed since then (tons of riders here and never seen one without a helmet). Good luck!
Drinking age is 21, but if you ever ride to Mexico it's 18.
Posted via Mobile Device
You're right (and welcome). They don't call Cali "The Nanny State" for nothing, but that's also why I thought it was so strange to see people riding bicycles on the street without a helmet.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #19
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Mexico has a drinking age. Things have changed since I was there.

Old July 13th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #20
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Haha technically. I don't think I've ever been carded though.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM   #21
null0
ninjette.org member

Name: Allan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 F17

Quote:
I just checked and the games are in the Fresno and San Fran area every Saturday. I'll probably try the Monterey area unless someone knows something better. I wonder if there is a track around there? I have the use of a Yamaha 600 in Vista so I'll be down for the famous GMR ride and also for some Willow time. If everything works out I'll bring a couple bikes out later in the fall.

I live on the beach now so maybe the mountains would be a nice change. I've done all the parks but only in a car. I bet they are fun on a bike (after the tourists leave).

Is there a helmet law in Cali?
North Bay (San Rafael) or East Bay (Alameda/Emeryville) . Lots of riding (Skaggs, Highway 1, Redwood Rd) and SF isn't very far for the night life. Sears Point is also fairly close.

Old July 13th, 2010, 08:05 PM   #22
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

between fresno and san francisco...you'll be going from one extreme - hot as hell in fresno and cooler (probably cold to you) in san francisco.

well, here's the thing. lot's of people have summer homes just outside yosemite and the sierra nat'l forest. you could probably find a decent rental because you'd be occupying during the off season, you may even see snow if in december! there's probably a ton of foreclosures in the central valley, why not find a regional real estate agent to hook you up with a phat pad.

death valley is breathtaking. if you have an opportunity to make it there then don't pass it up. the isolation is quite humbling.

napa valley is doable for san francisco but a bit of a drive to fresno (sears point is just outside napa, not sure if there's a motorcycle track or not). you could probably pull it off if you stay in lagunitas, olema or point reyes (it's expensive)...but it does get really foggy. not fun on a motorcycle. maybe check it out for a four day trip.

fyi, the beaches in northern california (i'm talking mendocino) are very different than southern california/florida. you don't necessarily go to lay out and tan, it's quite foggy, cliff-y, and did i mention foggy? so don't rule them out just yet. a full wetsuit is mandatory if you wanna get into the water so it's truly different than the beaches in santa monica and san diego.

soo, i hope this gives you some insight. remember that the weather in california can be tricky. you can be at the beach in the morning and hit the slopes later in the day.

Old July 14th, 2010, 09:15 AM   #23
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteninja View Post
between fresno and san francisco...you'll be going from one extreme - hot as hell in fresno and cooler (probably cold to you) in san francisco.

well, here's the thing. lot's of people have summer homes just outside yosemite and the sierra nat'l forest. you could probably find a decent rental because you'd be occupying during the off season, you may even see snow if in december! there's probably a ton of foreclosures in the central valley, why not find a regional real estate agent to hook you up with a phat pad.

death valley is breathtaking. if you have an opportunity to make it there then don't pass it up. the isolation is quite humbling.

napa valley is doable for san francisco but a bit of a drive to fresno (sears point is just outside napa, not sure if there's a motorcycle track or not). you could probably pull it off if you stay in lagunitas, olema or point reyes (it's expensive)...but it does get really foggy. not fun on a motorcycle. maybe check it out for a four day trip.

fyi, the beaches in northern california (i'm talking mendocino) are very different than southern california/florida. you don't necessarily go to lay out and tan, it's quite foggy, cliff-y, and did i mention foggy? so don't rule them out just yet. a full wetsuit is mandatory if you wanna get into the water so it's truly different than the beaches in santa monica and san diego.

soo, i hope this gives you some insight. remember that the weather in california can be tricky. you can be at the beach in the morning and hit the slopes later in the day.
petite, I like the idea of Yosemite and the Sierra Parks (I might have to rent one of those goofy BMW on/off road bikes). When does it gets too cold there for a bike? When does it start to snow? If it gets too cold too soon it will be out of the question (unless I do part of my time there and then part of my time somewhere else, which might be fun). How is Pismo Beach? Bugs Bunny always talked highly of it.

I know the cold water Pacific. I've surfed from LA to San Diego. The water was cold there, so forget about the water temp up north. I don't go in the water untill it's around 80 degrees.

I have seen snow. It's overrated (I lived in New England for years). I have friends in Colorado for the downhill fun. I'll take my son skiing after football season. We can't take the chance of a leg injury before then.

Mendocino is known for other things besides their beaches. I don't think I'll make it up that far.

Old July 14th, 2010, 09:41 AM   #24
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

what college/team does your son play for? must be fresno state?

i couldn't tell you when "winter" starts east of the central valley, i've only been there in the summer. but i do know that they see snow, perhaps an online almanac can give you a more specific answer. i've camped/hiked bear valley and bass lake and i think it's the environment you could be after. it's a nice mixture of the colorado rockies and the rolling hills of new england (ie. berkshires).

i agree with you on the snow. it's pretty to look at when you're indoors. then there's the shoveling. and the layering of clothes. and then you get cabin fever. yeah, snow can be a lot of work.

for some reason i can't for the life of me remember much about mendocino...

Old July 16th, 2010, 08:04 AM   #25
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
So I think I have three areas of interest located.

Monterey.

The Moro Bay, Paso Robles, Atascadero, Pismo Beach area. Which is close together but still very different in temperatures this morning. I see close proximitry to the beach and mountainous roads.

The other is Visalia, Porterville, Three Rivers. Which is mountains and Parks. It is extremelt hot here now but I won't be there until September through December so it might be better then.

Do we have any locals from these areas on the forum?

Old July 16th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #26
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:

Monterey.

The Moro Bay, Paso Robles, Atascadero, Pismo Beach area. Which is close together but still very different in temperatures this morning. I see close proximitry to the beach and mountainous roads.

The other is Visalia, Porterville, Three Rivers. Which is mountains and Parks. It is extremelt hot here now but I won't be there until September through December so it might be better then.

Do we have any locals from these areas on the forum?
i spent six years on the central coast and lived in pismo beach for a year, more specifically grover beach. it was alright, nothing memorable, lots of fog. you will find it foggy in morro bay as well. paso robles and atascadero are warmer but the diurnal swing is still about 20 degrees. i'd have to suggest that you check out san luis obispo, cayucos or cambria which are north of pismo beach. cayucos is a sleepy surfer town and cambria has some redwoods like northern california.

Old July 16th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #27
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by petiteninja View Post
i spent six years on the central coast and lived in pismo beach for a year, more specifically grover beach. it was alright, nothing memorable, lots of fog. you will find it foggy in morro bay as well. paso robles and atascadero are warmer but the diurnal swing is still about 20 degrees. i'd have to suggest that you check out san luis obispo, cayucos or cambria which are north of pismo beach. cayucos is a sleepy surfer town and cambria has some redwoods like northern california.
Sleepy surfer town sounds like fun. Fog doesn't though. I want to ride as much as I can while I'm there, so cold, foggy, rainy, sucky weather is out. What is San Luis Obispo like?

Old July 17th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #28
petiteninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Sleepy surfer town sounds like fun. Fog doesn't though. I want to ride as much as I can while I'm there, so cold, foggy, rainy, sucky weather is out. What is San Luis Obispo like?
it's a college town of about 40,000 so there will be lot's of twenty somethings. i must confess, i went to cal poly which means i'm a bit biased so i absolutely love the city. downtown is quite idyllic and relaxed. they have a farmers market every thursday night. i like living in areas where cultures intermingle and one downside is that the city just isn't very ethnically diverse.

as far as weather goes every day went like this: morning 55 degrees, lunch time 70 degrees, 3:00pm 60 degrees and closing in on about 55 by the time it got dark. it was always sunny. the fog does come in but usually burns off by 9:30-10:00. the surrrounding beaches can see fog until noon. we did get rain but it never lasted more than a day or day and a half. some pockets of the city we're colder than others and because of that i recommend staying closer to the campus or downtown. the creek that runs thorugh the middle of town gets incredibly loud at night (filled with frogs) so try to stay away from it.

as far as traveling for day trips you can head out east and be in the beautiful central valley visiting wineries and dipping into all the secret swimming holes within two hours. santa barbara is about 2-2.5 hours south. i don't have to remind you that highway 1 intersects with 101 in san luis obispo.

Old July 17th, 2010, 03:37 PM   #29
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've been doing my due diligence on California and I'll tell you I'm not pleased with the weather out there. It's either too hot or too cold. Now I see why you all wear gear all the time. You will freeze if you are anywhere that is nice. I guess I've been spoiled for the last few years.

I have to apologize for complaining about all the crashes out there. I now see that your tires never get a chance to warm up (unless you're in the desert or central part of the state). The central part is so hot you must pass out when riding (you guys really wear helmets in that heat?). I'm going to have to adjust to these climate changes. I live where it is picture perfect everyday so this will be a challenge.

Do you guys ride year round?

Last futzed with by CC Cowboy; July 17th, 2010 at 07:18 PM.
CC Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2010, 10:06 PM   #30
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Both my fiance and I use our bikes as primary forms of transportation. I honestly can't bring my car to work because they have parking permits and I'm not about to spend $600/year for a car permit. This past week was interesting, triple digits in full gear. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The worst was seeing bikes I park next to start sinking into the asphalt and worried that they were going to tip over onto my bike.
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 08:22 AM   #31
Flow
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R/'10 ZX6R/'02 YZ125/'06 DRZ125L/'05 Blaster

Quote:
I have to apologize
Did someone take Oscar's account?

I'm actually planning a move to Cali myself, but I'm looking for more of a relaxing place like Humboldt.

Regarding your dual-sport idea, I'd say go for it. I got a few ATVs recently and I've been hooked. I'm looking for a dual-sport as my next purchase.
Flow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 11:51 AM   #32
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flow View Post
Did someone take Oscar's account?

I'm actually planning a move to Cali myself, but I'm looking for more of a relaxing place like Humboldt.

Regarding your dual-sport idea, I'd say go for it. I got a few ATVs recently and I've been hooked. I'm looking for a dual-sport as my next purchase.
Humbolt is to far north for me. I have seen a lot of nice towns north of San Fran but that would be to long a ride for me each weekend.

I'm listing towns, roads, and bike shops in my exploration favorites. Now I also need to know great restaurants and bars (food and drinking establishments that stand out).

Old July 18th, 2010, 05:57 PM   #33
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

I was watching Food Network Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and they went to Pier 23 Cafe in San Fransisco. It looked amazing, live music, fresh seafood and on the water... just sucks I live in So Cali instead of Nor Cali..

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 19th, 2010, 08:47 AM   #34
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've been to San Fran a few times. Lots of good eats. Chinatown rocks, the seafood is killer, and the hills are a blast to drive on (not sure about riding them, yet).

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:03 PM   #35
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I've been checking the ocean temperature. Do you guys ever get to go in the water? It's in the 50s and 60s. That's as cold as New England. I guess I'll be riding more than going to the beach. Although, it's in the 50's (air temperature) in the mornings. That's the weather in the middle of winter here. I hope I don't freeze.

This will be a nice change for me, even with all the complaining (which I love to do).

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:21 PM   #36
paterick4o8
ninjette.org sage

Name: patricK

Motorcycle(s): '08 blue 250R [sold]. '09 lime ZX-6R [stolen :( ]. '06 blue 636.

Monterey FTW

idk if you're still debating, but to me it sounds like you (possibly subconsciously) already made your choice at the beginning of this post

Quote:

Monterey.
paterick4o8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2010, 01:35 PM   #37
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I've been checking the ocean temperature. Do you guys ever get to go in the water? It's in the 50s and 60s. That's as cold as New England. I guess I'll be riding more than going to the beach. Although, it's in the 50's (air temperature) in the mornings. That's the weather in the middle of winter here. I hope I don't freeze.

This will be a nice change for me, even with all the complaining (which I love to do).
The water is freezing here. I think the water in New England is warmer than Cali because of the Gulf Stream. My favorite going to the beaches in the morning to watch the surfers or during low tide to look at the sea critters in the tide pools.

Old July 21st, 2010, 02:37 PM   #38
Blackwidow

Name: Paulette

Quote:
I have to be between Fresno and San Fran every weekend for football games. Although SOCAL is a great place to hangout, it makes a long drive to attend the games. I don't want the LA paparazzi bothering me all the time either. I'll come down to LA to visit during the week (my sister lives in Vista, and I have to ride those killa roads you guys have) but I need to have a more central location to make the weekend games.

I live on the water right now so it's not a must to be near the beach (unless that's the only place the ladies are?).

why would the paparazzi be bothering you? i've lived in LA all my life and have yet to see paparazzi.

it all depends on which beach you go to, huntington beach or venice beach is where all the hotties (men and women) go..in my opinion.

the legal drinking age in Cali is 21...is that the same for ALL states in the U.S?
Blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2010, 03:00 PM   #39
DEXSPEED
2012 is here,let's ride!!

Name: dex

Motorcycle(s): 2009R,'12 suzuki +500

i'm in visalia,if u look at the map around this area visalia is 45miles away from fresno,riding wise u can ride from here and hit all the coastal towns that u mentioned by taking highway 1 then ride to all the state parks all within ur reach.september not that warm here.
DEXSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2010, 05:06 PM   #40
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Dex, I'll be back in touch with you about the area the beginning of next month (I have to go to New England this week) . I'm thinking a different location each month I'm there. I'd love to find the perfect location (weather wise) for each month I'm there. I hate being cold (or too hot).