ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:24 AM   #1
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

License Plate Relocator Bracket

I already purchased a Hotbodies Smoke undertail like this one:

But haven't put it on because for the life of me I can't bring myself to drill holes in it to mount a plate under it. So I've been looking for alternatives. I came across the following product from Roaring Toyz:
Universal Peg Mount License Plate Tag Bracket Black Ano w/L.E.D. Light

I was curious if anyone else had seen this or had any kind of experience with it. Or maybe if there was anything else on the market that I hadn't seen yet that would allow me to not have to drill into my new undertail to mount the plate. Thanks in advance for any assistance with this!!
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Velcro tape?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 07:15 PM   #3
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Velcro tape?
Not really sure that would hold up or be at a decent angle to see from the rear...

Also, not sure if you were being serious or not either...

50 views and no other ideas or suggestions?

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #4
TS250
ninjette.org member

Name: MARCO

Motorcycle(s): 2008 NINJA 250, BLACK, 650 NINJA 2009, RED, F 650GS BMW 2012 YELLOW

If you have a problem drilling holes for the stupid , cheap ugly pieces of plastic that hotbodies is passing for tag brackets, you HAVE to cut the rear cover to beyond usable, without the HB undertail. I have this cover, after traying many others, other than the tag light being too small and the wires being too cheap, it looks amazing!! I have the 250r '08 and the 650r '09 , both with cosmetic mods, and I get more comments on the little one for it's looks. any tag bracket you will have to drill holes and relocate wires for the tag light and blinkers.
TS250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #5
Liquidtoon
ninjette.org member

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250r

what about one of these plate holders, with the after market little led lights they sell for plates.

was what i was looking at down the road when I put the undertail on mine.
Liquidtoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 10:32 PM   #6
addy126
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: addy126

Motorcycle(s): '09 Kawasaki N-250 + '09 Vulcan 900 Classic Lt

The Targa eliminator? I think that may be a no drill unit but not 100 percent sure.
addy126 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2011, 11:44 PM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126 View Post
The Targa eliminator? I think that may be a no drill unit but not 100 percent sure.
There is no place to mount it with the Hotbodies smoke undertail installed. It even covers the brake light.

Old February 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM   #8
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS250 View Post
If you have a problem drilling holes for the stupid , cheap ugly pieces of plastic that hotbodies is passing for tag brackets, you HAVE to cut the rear cover to beyond usable, without the HB undertail. I have this cover, after traying many others, other than the tag light being too small and the wires being too cheap, it looks amazing!! I have the 250r '08 and the 650r '09 , both with cosmetic mods, and I get more comments on the little one for it's looks. any tag bracket you will have to drill holes and relocate wires for the tag light and blinkers.
I'm a little confused about your post... do you have the same undertail I posted? Because you start out saying it's "stupid, cheap and ugly" and then mention "it looks amazing"... I'm sure you can see my confusion.

If you do have it, what did you use to mount your plate... did you just drill through the plexi and mount a basic "L" bracket? I just wanted to keep the undertail looking smooth, hence the bracket for the rear peg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by addy126
Yeah, not looking to do something like the targa as that is similar to what I am currently using:

I bought the hotbodies one that I posted in the OP, and was hoping to keep it nice and clean without puting a plate under the tail if I didn't have to. As CZroe mentioned above there wouldn't be a place to mount that anyway... I suppose I could either buy the roaring toyz bracket and see if it works or just drill through the hotbodies piece. Just was hoping for more options.

Old February 13th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #9
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidtoon View Post
what about one of these plate holders, with the after market little led lights they sell for plates.

was what i was looking at down the road when I put the undertail on mine.
I actually kinda like that idea... because the one I posted doesn't seem like it would actually fit with the exhaust and our rear peg mounts don't look like the one in the picture on the non exhaust side.

Old February 13th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #10
Cazper
ninjaholic

I went ahead and ordered the one posted above from kneedraggers and a pair of led plate bolts from speedtactics... I will post up some pictures when the whole setup is complete! Thanks for the advice and guidance!!

Old February 14th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #11
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): (08 Ninja 250) (07 Suzuki Hayabusa) (08 Suzuki GSXR 1000) (Yamaha dirtbikes)

I put a Hotbodies undertail on my SV650. It fit well and looked good. The LED signals that are laid into the undertail are almost useless. The work at night but are not worth a damn in the daylight. I added a integrated taillight. I did not want to drill holes into my undertail either so I bought a plate mount and mounted it to the swingarm with the axle nut. It looked pretty good. If you dont have a integrated tailight then I would suggest getting one and wire the two undertail lights into the license plate light and they become running lights.

TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM   #12
TS250
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2008 NINJA 250, BLACK, 650 NINJA 2009, RED, F 650GS BMW 2012 YELLOW

Same one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
I'm a little confused about your post... do you have the same undertail I posted? Because you start out saying it's "stupid, cheap and ugly" and then mention "it looks amazing"... I'm sure you can see my confusion.

If you do have it, what did you use to mount your plate... did you just drill through the plexi and mount a basic "L" bracket? I just wanted to keep the undertail looking smooth, hence the bracket for the rear peg.

Yeah, not looking to do something like the targa as that is similar to what I am currently using:

I bought the hotbodies one that I posted in the OP, and was hoping to keep it nice and clean without puting a plate under the tail if I didn't have to. As CZroe mentioned above there wouldn't be a place to mount that anyway... I suppose I could either buy the roaring toyz bracket and see if it works or just drill through the hotbodies piece. Just was hoping for more options.
I do have the same one, what I talking about is the two little plastic pieces that you get with this kit to attach the plate to the bike. Mine lasted three days and I had to go back and find my plate on the road. I put a bracket that I had from a kit for my 650 and it had to be moded a little, a few holes to center it right and a few rubber washers for the water staying out of the inside of the undertail. But yes I do have the very same one. I ment that my problem was not the holes for the bracket, it was cutting such a big piece of the actual under side of the bike. I also had to cut the extra material of the light itself to match the hole of the new undertail with the ones on the bike. It is hard to see the brake light on the daylight, but at night it is great. The smoke cover of the break light is illegal where I live by the way.

Old February 14th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #13
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBull View Post
...If you dont have a integrated tailight then I would suggest getting one and wire the two undertail lights into the license plate light and they become running lights....
The way yours came out is exactly like I want mine to look like (except obviously a 250R ) and thanks for the tip... that sounds like a great idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS250
... it was cutting such a big piece of the actual under side of the bike. I also had to cut the extra material of the light itself to match the hole of the new undertail with the ones on the bike...
Now I understand what you meant... I've seen the DIY and agree that it sucks a little to chop up the stock undertail so much to get this one to fit... but from what I've heard a new stock undertail isn't that expensive so if for some reason I ever choose to go back it wouldn't be too bad. I doubt I would though. Thanks for the clarification

Old February 17th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #14
TylerNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Here is a listing on Ebay for a plate relocator. it's like $19 total, shipping included...

License plate Relocator fender emilinator Ninja 250 R

This is not my listing, just something I found! Hope this helps!
TylerNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #15
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): (08 Ninja 250) (07 Suzuki Hayabusa) (08 Suzuki GSXR 1000) (Yamaha dirtbikes)

Dont buy that cheap one, get a good quality billet one that is thick. The last thing you want is a plate mount failing and making its way between your swingarm and wheel. The chances are slight but I had a swingarm endcap turn sideways and get lodged in my sprocket and locked up the rear tire on my CBR and riped the swingarm and almost threw me off the bike. Motorcycles are not something to skimp on, when things fail you fall.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...=45&zmap=12629

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:17 PM   #16
TylerNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r

Good advice Ted! Thank you!

Old February 17th, 2011, 09:27 PM   #17
Cazper
ninjaholic

I ended up purchasing the one from kneedragers that is from powerstands racing. It seems to be good quality... I will be installing it tomorrow. I like the one you posted from motorcycle-superstore, however, it doesn't list a model for the 250R and it is a little pricey.

I agree about not scimping out... although I bought one for cheaper I definitely wasn't looking for cheap quality.

Old February 17th, 2011, 10:46 PM   #18
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I ended up purchasing the one from kneedragers that is from powerstands racing. It seems to be good quality... I will be installing it tomorrow. I like the one you posted from motorcycle-superstore, however, it doesn't list a model for the 250R and it is a little pricey.

I agree about not scimping out... although I bought one for cheaper I definitely wasn't looking for cheap quality.
Yes, It is a little pricey. I am sure it is a universal fit. Post up pics when you get it done. Is your undertail clear with a dark smoke?

Old February 18th, 2011, 07:42 AM   #19
Cazper
ninjaholic

Yeah mine is the dark smoke version... as mentioned if all goes well I will install tomorrow and take pictures.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old February 21st, 2011, 03:57 PM   #20
Cazper
ninjaholic

Well, got everything installed on Saturday... took me a lot longer than I expected, but it's because I'm a perfectionist. Spent a lot of time with the dremel and a lot of time soldering and heat shrinking and hiding wires. The end result...

I'm very happy with the results... exactly what I was looking for!

As far as legal... well, legal... illegal... such a gray area...lol.

Old February 21st, 2011, 04:50 PM   #21
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

bike looks awesome!

Last futzed with by ungluck; February 21st, 2011 at 04:56 PM. Reason: deee
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2011, 10:27 PM   #22
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Looks great, nice job. Thanks for the pics.

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:06 PM   #23
Cazper
ninjaholic

Thanks fellas! As mentioned, I am very pleased

Old February 22nd, 2011, 08:22 PM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

So, does it make it harder to adjust your chain slack? How did you route the wires? I see that you did not reorient your axel to insert from the other side yet, which almost anyone who has change their tires has done (it's actually in the service manual). Would it be easy to switch the entire setup to the other side when you do (if you do)? Would the chain guard get in the way or would it actually help route the wires?

Old February 22nd, 2011, 10:43 PM   #25
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
So, does it make it harder to adjust your chain slack? How did you route the wires? I see that you did not reorient your axel to insert from the other side yet, which almost anyone who has change their tires has done (it's actually in the service manual). Would it be easy to switch the entire setup to the other side when you do (if you do)? Would the chain guard get in the way or would it actually help route the wires?
I really haven't adjusted the chain slack... I've checked it and it seems right so I haven't really bothered, but I don't think it would make it that much more difficult... just have to set the bracket... tighten and make small adjustments before it gets completely tight. As for the wires, it's plugged in under the passenger seat as normal and runs down the frame rail and then runs with the brake lines (zip tied to) and then wraps behind the bracket. I haven't changed the axel because I didn't realize you were supposed to... guess it's time to read the service manual. The bracket could very easily be switched to the other side, although I kinda like it hiding underneath the exhaust so if I do switch the axel I will probably leave the bracket on the exhaust side. I've had the sportisi rear hugger on order since october, so if it ever gets here I plan to remove the chain guard in lieu of the hugger anyway... I'll let you know how that goes... if it ever goes.

Hopefully I answered all your questions... of course now I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about because I've only had the initial service on the bike done and I didn't do it... the dealership did. I've been looking into it and from what I can tell the manual doesn't call for another service until 7500 although that seems like an awfully long time between services. Was planning to do at least an oil and filter change and of coarse at that time check over the bike for all the basics... this post has turned into quite the lengthy one now so I'll stop rambling

Old February 23rd, 2011, 03:06 PM   #26
TS250
ninjette.org member

Do you have a light for that?

Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:58 PM   #27
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Do you have a light for that?
If you are referring to the license plate... yes, the top right screw that is black in the picture is an LED bolt.

Old February 24th, 2011, 12:05 AM   #28
TS250
ninjette.org member

I did not think that it would look that nice. I do like the look of mine with the plate in the rear, but yours has made me reconsider.

Old February 24th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

So, how much did you spend on the plate mount alone?

Old February 24th, 2011, 03:03 AM   #30
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

off topics..

how do you like the MGP exhaust?
ungluck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 24th, 2011, 11:05 PM   #31
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS250
I did not think that it would look that nice. I do like the look of mine with the plate in the rear, but yours has made me reconsider.
Thanks! I just couldn't see drilling into the undertail and breaking up the clean lines. I know that in CA a vertical plate is "illegal"... luckily mine is registered in MN

Quote:
So, how much did you spend on the plate mount alone?
I ordered from the link provided above from kneedraggers.com and ended up paying $77.20 after shipping fees. It's a little expensive... but it's a very well made product and I am happy with the results

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungluck
off topics..

how do you like the MGP exhaust?
I really like my exhaust... I got it for a really good price and it's great quality. I will admit that it is extremely loud (ask anyone on here thats ridden with me...lol) Once I start it up... noone believes it's a 250 anymore

Old February 25th, 2011, 12:52 PM   #32
TS250
ninjette.org member

I also have the Growler for my bike, I have the Arrow for my 650r, my wife says that the arrow sounds like a helicopter landing. The Growler on the 250 is LOUDER. But it looks great.

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #33
TS250
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks! I just couldn't see drilling into the undertail and breaking up the clean lines. I know that in CA a vertical plate is "illegal"... luckily mine is registered in MN

I ordered from the link provided above from kneedraggers.com and ended up paying $77.20 after shipping fees. It's a little expensive... but it's a very well made product and I am happy with the results

I really like my exhaust... I got it for a really good price and it's great quality. I will admit that it is extremely loud (ask anyone on here thats ridden with me...lol) Once I start it up... noone believes it's a 250 anymore

Old February 25th, 2011, 01:31 PM   #34
TS250
ninjette.org member

Quote:

How much did you paid for your Growler?

Old February 25th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #35
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

This certainly won't apply to everyone but you can make a very similar mount from materials found at a hardware store. Buy an angle bracket (sometimes called an L bracket) that has the appropriate size holes to pair with the plate you are using. They are often found in the shelving aisle or mailbox aisle. I'm far from stock so I have several open mounting positions on the bike. I used a mounting hole in the left side (possibly for rear pegs-10MM?) I would imagine with a little tweaking you could make it work with the stock spool location.

Not knocking your bracket as it looks very very slick (as does your 250). Just throwing out options.

This is the link I got the idea from:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=11246.0
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #36
Cazper
ninjaholic

Quote:
How much did you paid for your Growler?
I purchased my MGP Growler from biohazard cycles, inc. Here is the link for it:

http://www.biohazardcycles.com/servl...EXHAUST/Detail

Looks like it went up a few dollars because I'm pretty sure that I only paid $249 for it... but either way a pretty good deal.

Old February 27th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #37
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojah17 View Post
This certainly won't apply to everyone but you can make a very similar mount from materials found at a hardware store. Buy an angle bracket (sometimes called an L bracket) that has the appropriate size holes to pair with the plate you are using. They are often found in the shelving aisle or mailbox aisle. I'm far from stock so I have several open mounting positions on the bike. I used a mounting hole in the left side (possibly for rear pegs-10MM?) I would imagine with a little tweaking you could make it work with the stock spool location.

Not knocking your bracket as it looks very very slick (as does your 250). Just throwing out options.

This is the link I got the idea from:

http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=11246.0
That does not look very clean or stout.

Old February 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #38
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I'm probably going to do something similar by replacing the spacer under my slider spools. I'd paint it black though. As for stout-ness: They're meant to hold up shelves and the weight of what you put on them all while remaining stable and firm, which means that a license plate should be nothing for it. I don't think the prefabbed ones are worth what they charge (I'd pay about $30 TOPS).

Anyway, I've never used a conduit bender, but could one be used to bend a sheet of metal to mount the plate to or the plate itself?

Old February 28th, 2011, 07:56 AM   #39
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Quote:
Its meant to hold a license plate? I have no idea where stout comes into play. If you dump your bike or get a little over zealous during a lean how well do you think the OP's mount will hold up?

I painted mine flat black and it looks fine...like I said- its not for everyone but the whole setup looks good on my ratted out vintage-esque Ninja. Plus, if I ever need to replace it...it will cost me all of $6.

Again, not knocking the OP's mount as it looks very slick but just throwing out options.
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2011, 07:23 PM   #40
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Well, I just bought the exact same bracket and it's actually very thick, heavy, and stout. That guy just mounted his someplace that wasn't straight. I plan to paint it black along with the exhaust. It seems that hiding the wires will be somewhat easy, though I'm still looking for the best way to make the "jump" from the moving swingarm to the undertail.