ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old March 16th, 2011, 09:51 PM   #41
TedBull
ninjette.org member

Name: Ted

Motorcycle(s): (08 Ninja 250) (07 Suzuki Hayabusa) (08 Suzuki GSXR 1000) (Yamaha dirtbikes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojah17 View Post
Its meant to hold a license plate? I have no idea where stout comes into play.
Stout comes into play when the thing fails and gets lodged in your back wheel. Dont think it could happen think again, a very simaler thing happened to me. Luckily I have had many years of riding expierinance and I was on a residential street and only going around 40mph. My rear wheel instantly locked up and It was almost a disaster but I made it out of it. Just saying, if you are going to mount anything near your wheels make sure it is stout and well engineered. And I think that cheap mount looks cheap and does not flatter the bike at all. Just my opinion.
TedBull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 06:08 AM   #42
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedBull View Post
Stout comes into play when the thing fails and gets lodged in your back wheel. Dont think it could happen think again, a very simaler thing happened to me. Luckily I have had many years of riding expierinance and I was on a residential street and only going around 40mph. My rear wheel instantly locked up and It was almost a disaster but I made it out of it. Just saying, if you are going to mount anything near your wheels make sure it is stout and well engineered. And I think that cheap mount looks cheap and does not flatter the bike at all. Just my opinion.
You haven't seen the cheap mount as it relates to our bike. As for stoutness, as I said, it is very stout. In fact, the manufactured ones are going to give way in an accident just the same. Also, it would be mounted to the spool threading and the plate would hit the swingarm and spokes as opposed to the tire. The manufactured ones actually protrude closer to the tire than this will. Also, the manufactured ones have a lot more to muncture your tire with while the plate itself is the only thing that threatens to twist off and damage anything with this method (the plates obviously bend easily and do not pose as much threat).

I think that it's going to take an actual pic on a Ninja 250 to convince you, so I advise that you wait before jumping to conclusions. For one thing, it will be mounted horizontally with the plate sticking up where the pic you are looking at has it mounted at an angle with the plate sticking down. FWIW, they also sell heavy-duty L-brackets of the same size with a triangular piece filling out the L-shape but I would rather it just bend flat and have the plate tear off.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 06:21 AM   #43
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

Wouldn't the "stoutness" then pertain more to the hardware mounting it to the bike rather than the mount itself? Yes my mount is very thick and yes it mounts the exact same way as the OPs. I also think it would take quite a stroke of badluck to have it sheer off and into the back wheel. Locking washers all around....I've given myself till April to wrap up the mods on my cafe Ninja and I will have some pictures by then.
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM   #44
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Cazper/Dustin: Can I get an idea of how you routed the wiring between the swingarm and the undertail? IOW, I'd like to see the "jump" point where it leaves the swingarm and enters the undertail. How much excess wire should I give it and how should I leave it so that it doesn't interfere or get caught/broken/shorted? Thanks!

Jojah17: Thanks for the idea, Miyagi-san. *bows*
FWIW, the holes you are mounting it to are for optional spools to lift with a rear spool stand (they are unoccupied on a stock bike as well).

Old March 18th, 2011, 06:56 AM   #45
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
Well, got everything installed on Saturday... took me a lot longer than I expected, but it's because I'm a perfectionist. Spent a lot of time with the dremel and a lot of time soldering and heat shrinking and hiding wires. The end result...

I'm very happy with the results... exactly what I was looking for!

As far as legal... well, legal... illegal... such a gray area...lol.
from what i have learned....
the plate needs to either have lights or reflective tape(red and white ones you see on trucks)
bending the plates is illegal and is considered vandalism because its the DMV's property, but cops dgaf about that
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 07:06 AM   #46
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Jojah17: Thanks for the idea, Miyagi-san. *bows*
FWIW, the holes you are mounting it to are for optional spools to lift with a rear spool stand (they are unoccupied on a stock bike as well).
Anytime my friend. Mine is actually not in the spool location but further up the swing arm towards the front of the bike. Glad it worked out for you! Watch the stoutness!

Old March 18th, 2011, 09:31 AM   #47
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Well, my LED bolts don't quite fit in the holes on the L-bracket. What type of file should I look for? Some kind of rod-shaped one meant for use on metal, I imagine (whatever they are called). Would that be appropriate? They only need to be widened ever so slightly.

Old March 18th, 2011, 09:33 AM   #48
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Got a dremel with a file cone file bit? That may make it a bit easier?

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:56 PM   #49
Cazper
ninjaholic

Name: Dustin

Motorcycle(s): 09' SE 250R (sold), 03' ZX-6R, 99' XL1200C SP

I used my dremel to widen the hole for the LED light as well. As far as routing the wires... I ran them down the frame rail all the way down to the swingarm (zip-tying periodically) and then followed the brake line (again zip tying) and that gets you to the axle... there really isn't a whole lot to it.
Cazper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 11:31 PM   #50
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Another thing about the bolt lights are that they have hot glue on the back and the blob is too wide to unscrew the nut. On one I manged to get the nut off but on the other it ended up rippnig the glue out and straining the wire (may have damaged it). Do they expect you to have a hot glue gun and melt it for the installation? If so, why not let the user add the hot glue in the first place? I think it's just poor QA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jojah17 View Post
Got a dremel with a file cone file bit? That may make it a bit easier?
Probably but I don't have a rotary tool and I found the files for $4 at a swap meet. I'll try those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cazper View Post
I used my dremel to widen the hole for the LED light as well. As far as routing the wires... I ran them down the frame rail all the way down to the swingarm (zip-tying periodically) and then followed the brake line (again zip tying) and that gets you to the axle... there really isn't a whole lot to it.
Ah! Perfect sense. Thanks a lot!