ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old January 26th, 2015, 10:25 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
(knock off) Acerbis Dual Road hand guards

I tried the Winter Wings but decided that as much as I liked them and how well they kept the wind off my fingers, removing them was just too much of a hassle. So I kept looking and found what I think will be really good bar end mounted hand guards for the Ninja 250.

Here's the real set from Acerbis:

And the Chinese knock offs

Close enough, but I do like the idea of the little extra lip on the Chinese version. That and the $30 price tag (vs over $100) made it a risk worth taking.

I ordered from Pazoma via eBay on January 19th. I received them today, January 26th! They came from China too with free shipping. Score!

In the box the parts were all wrapped separately in bubble wrap and packing foam.

Mounting the lip just took screwing in the tiny silver screws.

The two long bolts with silver spacers and the four little black plugs (?) I wasn't able to figure out how/where to use on the Ninja. I'm thinking they are for different types of handlebars than what the Ninja comes with.

All I did was remove the bar end (my bolts are different than stock due to carving the, out when changing my grips. HEAT IS (more than likely) MANDATORY due to the red Loctite.

And then used the same bolt to mount the hand guards.

Installed views:

There is a slight fitment issue. If mounted horizontal, the main hand guard itself hits the upper cowling windscreen supports. I angled it down a bit (as seen in the side view) so that it cleared the upper cowling at full lock. It's in the fine position between clearing the upper clowing and the lower cowling. However, the little lip still hits at full lock. Here's a comparison between it first hitting and at full lock.

The construction feels nice and solid and good quality. The 70 MPH wind when I go riding will give me the ultimate review. I'm excited to test these out.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old January 27th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Looks awesome, can't wait for your ride report

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 27th, 2015, 04:23 PM   #3
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I have to suck it up because it wont work with clip ons lol.

Old February 1st, 2015, 08:10 PM   #4
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Ok, initial impressions after a couple rides.

I like them, *but* will be trimming a slot in the upper cowling so that I can rotate the hand guards a bit more level.

At the moment, there is a noticeable pocket of still air behind the little upper wing and below the grip where the rest of the guard blocks the oncoming air. I end up holding the very outer portion of the grip to keep my fingers in the protected pocket.

I never encountered any head wind this weekend, so can't say for sure if there will be any resulting drag. My guess is no given the forward edge of a wing design.

The guards are very stable at interstate speeds and are far enough forward that my fingers in my heavy winter gloves never bumped the ends of the screws from the upper wing. Aside from hilding my hands further out along the grip than I normally do, I could forget these were installed.

I did notice that there was no wind on my fingers, sadly the air temp was so cold anyway that my fingers were still chilly.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 10th, 2015, 10:33 PM   #5
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Nice. Thanks for the review. I may have to snag one for next year.
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote