ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 6th, 2010, 09:39 PM   #1
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

BRT TIS troubles

I finally got a Non programmable BRT TIS because I wanted a smoother ride and better accel... the bike has been sitting on the rear stand all day. No ride to work or pleasure rides before(or after) work.

Before I start on my problem, here's what I have:
Standard full system CF Area P
DJ Kit Stage 2 #2193 [#98 Main, DJ needle with clip on third groove down and two washers on top, Mixture/idle screws 3 turns out]
Stock airbox with snorkel removed
Kleen air system taken out
and NOW a BRT TIS CDI

*note* I'm running 87 unleaded from a local WaWa

Now for the problem:
With the stock CDI, I had smooth tach movement from idle and up, but I also had the issue of it reading wrong with the weather and this all happened after my warranty went out the window
I was reading the thread about swapping the newgen cdi with a pregen cdi and came across the BRT TIS thinking it was a better idea as I could use map one and not change a thing while having my issue solved and use map two (with 93 premium of course) when I'd get the itch for a more responsive throttle. I installed it with relative ease, started the bike and revved her when she was warmer. The needle on the tach started dancing wildly and when it snapped back to somewhere around 3000 rpms, I got some backfire/ popping. I was a bit confused and thought that maybe it was because I was on map 2 like an idiot, so I turned the ignition to off and flipped the BRT TIS switch on. I started the bike and crossed my fingers, but I still got what happened before, but it wasn't as erratic.

What I tried:
I was hoping and praying that it was just an idle screw mixture thing and I played around with both of them 1/4 turns at a time. I tried 3 1/4, 3(again to make sure), 2 3/4, and 2 1/2, but they did not change a thing.

So, what should I do? I have a day off tomorrow and I'm hoping this is something I can fix in less than a day because I love bike, but I love riding it a lot more.
hoodadooda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2010, 09:47 PM   #2
kkim

for now, switch back to the original CDI and see if the problem symptoms go away.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2010, 09:49 PM   #3
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): 08 250r and 07 600r

Is the unit prog or none prog?
Plug your stock cdi back and see if that solves the issue
if above is normal, you may have a bad unit? In that case, talk to Matt
Posted via Mobile Device
randomwalk101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2010, 09:59 PM   #4
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250 (sold), 2006 Daytona 675 in Tornado Red (sold), 2007 Ninja 650

I swapped between the BRT TIS Non-Programmable CDI and the stock CDI and my problems went away, so I guess I'll just leave the stock unit in there for now...
I absolutely hate the fact that I paid 215 dollars for a headache. Absolutely no offense to Matt though, his excellent service and prompt email responses were awesome. Not to mention delivery time was spot on even though we just went through a holiday weekend. So, should I just send him an email and ask "wat do?"

Old July 6th, 2010, 11:58 PM   #5
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

hi Aaron,

i had some problems with my BRT programmable when i first installed it, however i am lucky enough to live close to Sportisi HQ, so i sent my defective DCI back to them, and they sent me a brand new one. it took them a little while, because they were in the process of updating/upgrading either the hardware or software.

the issue that i had was that it was hard to get the bike started, even with the engine fully warmed. i had to hold the throttle 1/4 open for the engine to catch. otherwise it wouldnt start up. i did the swap between the original cdi and bri's cdi to test that it was in fact the BRT. and i was also at the local bali sportisi workshop, so they themselves said something was wrong with it.

when i got my replacement brt, and popped her in, the bike started up perfectly every time. i dont have (and never had) any issues with the rpm reading spazzing out. and now i believe the RPM is actually reading correctly, where as with the standard CDI i was usually about 1000 rpm over the actual reading (it dropped from around 8500~9000rpm at 100km/h to around 7500 rpm @ 100km/h, which i think is about correct).

i talked with a friend here who mods 250s, and sells the BRT (bought mine from him, but had sportisi install it while using their dyno), and he told me he ran through a whole bunch of problematic BRI cdi's to the point that he was weary to sell more. he ended up calling up the brt guys to ask what was going on, cos his cdi that he bought over a year ago had none of these issues... apparently (just what ive heard) they have switched out some of the original circuits/chips that they used in the first production of BRT's for some cheaper parts, which should do the same job, but cost them less. but obviously that's not the case, since they are running into errors/problems.

however they have a good service and reputable quality, they did not question my request to change the CDI, and repliced my faulty one with a new one that works.

just hold on, be a little patient, and see that Matt gets around to replacing your unit. in the meantime use the standard CDI, which i did for almost 3 weeks after i paid for my BRT he he :P

Old July 7th, 2010, 12:11 AM   #6
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

I'm kind of hoping it's an issue with the BRT CDI and not anything on my bike that a bad stock cdi would be covering up lol

Also, I'd feel really silly if they get my BRT CDI, test it and find nothing wrong with it which I hope won't be the case.

Old July 7th, 2010, 07:13 AM   #7
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

hmmm.... I'm a little scared now. I just oredered one of these from Matt. Hope they take care of your issue. Good luck.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2010, 08:02 AM   #8
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
hmmm.... I'm a little scared now. I just oredered one of these from Matt. Hope they take care of your issue. Good luck.
Me too - this is making me feel a little sick to think about possible problems with the quality of the unit - it was one of the selling points. Why change to cheaper parts and added headaches.

Hope Matt has an answer to fix this problem - factory CDI issue was the reason I upgraded.

Last futzed with by austexjg; July 7th, 2010 at 09:08 AM.
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2010, 09:06 AM   #9
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Matt/Sportisi will take care of you. just contact them and have it swapped out. I bought mine a year or so ago...works great.

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:31 AM   #10
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Question Number one: How many miles are on your bike?

The reason I ask is because if you have reached mileage close to the service point for a valve adjustment then your valves can be out of spec possibly. With the advance set to where it is at the symptoms you are describing indicates that they are not in spec. With the bike completely hot the issue would go away but then again that is a pain in the ass.

All igntions are warrantied for one year from date of purchase. After the one year has passed I will sell ignitions at cost to buyer who have issues outside of the warranty period.

If anyone has any issues they can call me at any time and I will address it immediately.

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:36 AM   #11
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztrack157 View Post
All igntions are warrantied for one year from date of purchase. After the one year has passed I will sell ignitions at cost to buyer who have issues outside of the warranty period.

If anyone has any issues they can call me at any time and I will address it immediately.
Thanks Matt, that is reassuring!

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:38 AM   #12
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Shewwwww...
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:45 AM   #13
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
Question Number one: How many miles are on your bike?
2451 miles, do I need my valves adjusted already?

Old July 7th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #14
dubojr1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodadooda View Post
2451 miles, do I need my valves adjusted already?
That would be a....... NO!

Matt is on board now with your problem. I'm sure he will give any assistance he can.

Old July 7th, 2010, 12:22 PM   #15
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

No you should not. Double check all the vaccuum lines since you removed the kleen air system. I had that issue myself.

Old July 7th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #16
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
No you should not. Double check all the vaccuum lines since you removed the kleen air system. I had that issue myself.
Everything seems to be in order and I checked the three places that I capped and the vacuum caps were still there along with the zip ties I put around them as well.

I also got brand new gaskets for my Full Area P because one of the reused ones had a leak, could this have caused an issue that the stock cdi wouldn't recognize/ show symptoms of? I went close to 50 miles(25 to and from a dealership for some washers for oil changes) with it like that without knowing about it.

Last futzed with by hoodadooda; July 7th, 2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: Needed to add a couple things.

Old July 7th, 2010, 01:23 PM   #17
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I am not ruling anything out. Install the new ones and crank it up. If it still has issues I will pay for you to send it back for me to fiddle with. Or if needed exchange with BRT.

Are you still running 87 octane?

Old July 7th, 2010, 01:27 PM   #18
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
I am not ruling anything out. Install the new ones and crank it up. If it still has issues I will pay for you to send it back for me to fiddle with. Or if needed exchange with BRT.

Are you still running 87 octane?
Should I empty the tank, fill it with 93 octane, and then try with the BRT... after letting it run a little with the 93 octane first.

Old July 7th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #19
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Yes the RON is 92

Old July 7th, 2010, 01:44 PM   #20
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
Yes the RON is 92
Alright, gonna give it a shot.

Old July 7th, 2010, 03:08 PM   #21
kkim

Quote:
Yes the RON is 92
RON 92 is equivalent to PON 87, which is what we have in the states, no??

from the internet...

Below is an approximate comparison chart, these numbers can vary by as much as 2 grades
RON MON PON
90 83 86.6
92 85 88.5
95 87 91
96 88 92
98 90 94
100 91.5 95.8
105 95 100
110 99 104.5

Old July 7th, 2010, 03:13 PM   #22
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Kelly that was improper useage of the term by me I guess. They research and test with 92 octane but I'm not sure which one they go with. Sportisi runs its race map with 96 octane race fuel.

Old July 7th, 2010, 03:22 PM   #23
kkim

Okay... sorry, Matt, just trying to keep this thread on track so we all can understand the thought process to straighten this out.

It sounds like he may have received a bad unit... it happens with all companies on occasion. Good job in making sure the customer is covered and that you stand your product 100%.

Old July 7th, 2010, 03:24 PM   #24
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I may need to adjust the mapping if required to be at 20 deg advance for 3000 rpm and under for ease of starting. That is if it doesn't run properly after he gets the gaskets in and some premium fuel.

Old July 7th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #25
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

As with all products I have to try to trouble shoot first. If that doesn't work then I scream at the manufacturer.

Old July 7th, 2010, 03:33 PM   #26
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

87 octane wouldnt make the tach act whacky, or make the motor run funky either.

Sounds like a bad egg......
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #27
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

^ Not ruling it out.

The symptoms Aaron is describing I have seen before with two different ignitions on the same bike. The ignitions ran properly on a different 250 however. These were race bikes but I was letting them play with the non programmables. The racer who had issues would get the bike to start and would have the symptoms that Aaron is describing. When completely hot the engine would not exhibit any issues. When cold it would act up. She went in and checked the valves and she was not at 7500 miles yet either. She found not only were her valves a little tight but the motor was just slightly off TDC as well. Once everything was in order we threw her new ignition on and she has yet to have an issue.

I have a fleet of bikes to test it on out here if it doesn't work properly there. As said if theres an issue I will handle it

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM   #28
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

So I emptied the tank entirely and made sure that the little bit of old fuel was burnt off and then I put 93 in which was RON+MON/2 (that's how the numbers are ALL around me at all the gas stations), so according to kelly's chart would be 97(?) RON which is 92 PON which I think would be the number they put on the gas stations anyway.

GOD I WISH I HAD AN A/C'd GARAGE ON THESE 102 DEGREE DAYS HERE IN VA

With the premium in and my stock cdi, I took a ride to my friend's house and noticed a drastic difference between the regular gas and the premium which I didn't expect, so I figured that bad gas MAY have been the issue. I rode home and swapped the cdis. I tried to start her up and the ignition would turn, but she wouldn't run. On the second try, she started up and ran well with only one problem, the tach would go down for less than a split second and come back really strong. It worked seemingly well for a little less than a minute before doing exactly what it was doing before.

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:32 PM   #29
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

Check one last thing for me then I'll have you send it back. Check both lines on the petcock and that they are secure. And that the valve is not on Prime.

Old July 7th, 2010, 05:34 PM   #30
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

It sounds like the Line of code programmed in is incorrect.

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:00 PM   #31
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Quote:
Check one last thing for me then I'll have you send it back. Check both lines on the petcock and that they are secure. And that the valve is not on Prime.
I checked those when I emptied the tank and switched the valve to prime when I put in premium and switched it back to on before I took her on a control run with the stock cdi. Before I stuck the TIS in there, I rechecked to make sure everything was tight up front and around the petcock.

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:03 PM   #32
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

I'll send it back to you as soon as I can so you can fiddle with it.
Thanks Matt!

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #33
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

K I sent you money to ship it back

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:11 PM   #34
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

When you went for the control run how long was it? Just curious

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:23 PM   #35
randomwalk101
self wrencher

Quote:
K I sent you money to ship it back
send money to ship back? That's crazy service!!!

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:25 PM   #36
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

In situations like this I will gladly eat the $7 shipping to find out what the hell is going on.

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:34 PM   #37
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

The control run was about 25~30 minutes total, but I figured the bike was already warmed up from all the on and off riding/ testing I did in my neighborhood. Also, I haven't taken my bike out on the road with the TIS yet, everything done with the TIS has been on the sidestand or my rear stand. I just don't know if it would be smart to take it out while it's doing all this backfiring and stuff.

Old July 7th, 2010, 06:37 PM   #38
ztrack157
The Sportisi Master

I wouldn't if it were doing that. Eric any feed back?

Old July 8th, 2010, 03:02 PM   #39
hoodadooda
MotorbikeLuv

Put it in the mail today and it will be on it's way.

Old July 9th, 2010, 05:47 AM   #40
dubojr1

Matt, keep us updated please!