ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old September 21st, 2010, 11:04 PM   #1
headshrink
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Harbor Freight - Do I need to buy now?

I have been planning to purchase the portable tire changer and Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment from Harbor Freight.... eventually. My tires are both pretty new, so I won't need it for a little bit, and I'm not made of $$.

In checking the site this week, I noticed the tire changer was gone, but the Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment is still available. I figured I could fabricate a simple mount for the Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment, if I had to. Should I jump on the Motorcycle Tire Changer Attachment now, while I know it is still available, or is HF known for taking things off their page when sold out, and bring them back shortly thereafter?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 04:42 AM   #2
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

There are sites on the web, that show you how to use 2X4's to break the tire bead. After that, a couple of tire irons and rim savers will do the trick.

I doubt that you need to invest in a tire changer, unless you plan to do it every weekend.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 05:12 AM   #3
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Get the HF bead breaker and a few tire irons
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 06:03 AM   #4
dubojr1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE, 07 Honda CRF230F, 06 Honda CRF150F

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
That's what I did and it has worked well.

Don't forget to add yourself to our Member Map
dubojr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 07:17 AM   #5
g21-30

Name: Sam

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2009

Go to the link that I posted for HF coupons in the Moto Classifieds. You can get 20% off any item, as long as you go to a retail store. That's what I did for the bead breaker!
g21-30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2010, 08:59 AM   #6
headshrink

Been there, done that.... origional question?

Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:08 AM   #7
headshrink

Sorry... I don't mean to sound short there, just multi-tasking and running a little late.

I have all the regular equipment already (HF bead breaker, tire levers and protectors, stem puller, wheel ballencer, air compressor....), and have used them successfully. My bike is my daily commuter, so I change tires a couple times a year. True, this isn't a lot.... but no matter how hard I work, I always nick a rim, barely escape injury, and just really dislike the chore of changing tires. The HF changer is so cheap (relatively), and the youtube demo videos make it look like a much easier job. Anyone who has a specialized tool for a specialized job knows what a difference it makes. That is where I am coming from. This was originally discussed here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=49327

Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Broc
ninjette.org member

Name: Broc

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Black - Sold / 2011 Honda CB1000R

I had the whole HF tire changer/Motorcycle attachment already (as discussed in linked post above^) I recently purchased the Mojo lever & Mojo blocks. I will never go back again, LOVE IT. Only thing extra I bought was some $7 nylon cutting board from Walmart to put over the bead breaker portion to prevent wheel scratches during bead breaking. I will eventually purchase the HF Tire balancer aswell but my axles worked great in the bike with no brakes or chain connected (just like kkims DIY.)

I don't know where everyone lives but here it's $45.00 a tire on the bike or $25.00 off no matter where you go. I ride everyday rain or shine and I change alot of tires. Plus, with this setup you can charge to change tires. I am half way to paying mine off this way. Off the top of my head I believe I have spent about $250.00 for everything (only 2 1/2 sets of tires!) Irons, both HF machines, mojo bar, mojo lever, wheel weights, lube, cutting board, valve stem puller, I mean everything!

I think this is essential for anyone serious about riding, owning, & maintaining a motorcycle. Unless you like to give your money away to have someone else who doesn't care work on your stuff, not me

Back to the original question......Both Harbor Freights locally have several motorcycle attachments in stock....surely they aren't discontinued?

Old September 22nd, 2010, 11:29 AM   #9
headshrink

Yes, you did turn me onto the Mojo blocks in the last thread. I'll probably go with the no-mar bar though since it comes with a little more for very little more. Ebay has the tire changer (the base), but they are wanting a lot more (if it looks cheaper, just check out what they want for shipping).

Old September 23rd, 2010, 01:21 PM   #10
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
Sorry... I don't mean to sound short there, just multi-tasking and running a little late.
Made me laugh that we missed the question

Quote:
Yes, you did turn me onto the Mojo blocks in the last thread. I'll probably go with the no-mar bar though since it comes with a little more for very little more. Ebay has the tire changer (the base), but they are wanting a lot more (if it looks cheaper, just check out what they want for shipping).
Nomar bar with juice & wax works real nice. You can get the tires off with it real easy(by yourself) without the rim being fixed to anything(setting on 4x4's). Putting tires on with the nomar bar, the rim needs to be clamped down. The one set of rims I have says "No Spoons".. I can knee the tire on the rear, but it takes the help of the wife for the front.
The HF thing and those mojo blocks look nice thou........ Maybe ask the HF guys if something is off the web site, does that mean its gone/no longer gonna be sold??
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:35 PM   #11
headshrink

Well, the part in question is now in stock at HF (Portable tire changer), BUT the motorcycle tire adapter is NOT in stock. It seems to me these things probably just come in and out of stock. I ordered the changer ($49), which is really just the base unit, so that I'll have it on hand. I'll keep my eyes out for the top piece to reappear.

I guess if I slowly acquire the parts/tools, I will have a kick-arse tire changing setup by the time I need to change my next tire.

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #12
kkim

once you get all the parts, you can advertise on CL in your area that you change bike tires and make your money back.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2010, 02:54 PM   #13
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
once you get all the parts, you can advertise on CL in your area that you change bike tires and make your money back.
Haha... good idea.

Old October 15th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #14
g21-30

headshring,

Check this out: http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=94482

Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:39 PM   #15
headshrink

As I suspected, the MC tire attachment is back.... BUT, it is listed as "in store only." The weird thing is, a bunch of other items are also listed the same way. I wonder if they are trying to get people to support the brick & mortar stores a little more, but who knows. If it doesn't come back to the web store, I suppose I'll have to take the wife's car some weekend.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:52 AM   #16
headshrink

This is a SLIGHTLY different topic, but since this one is pretty much concluded, and I didn't want to start a new one just for this....

This link is to another harbor freight product: a portable wheel balancer for a car tire. I was looking at it and can't figure out how you use it. Just out of couriosity, does anyone know how it works?

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...cer-39741.html

Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:32 PM   #17
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

set the wheel on top and spin?
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2010, 07:55 AM   #18
g21-30

It's called a static balancer. Won't work on a motorcycle wheel/tire. You lay the auto/truck wheel/tire on top and look at the bubble in the center. Use it just like a level. Place weights on the opposite side of the bubble, until the bubble is centered.

Example: A 40 oz weight results in the bubble being centered. Mark the tire with chalk where the weight is placed. Then use two (2) 20 oz weights. Place one on the top side of the rim and one on the bottom side, using the chalk mark for reference. This is how I balanced customers tires 40+ years ago at the gas station where I worked during high school/college!

Last week I almost bought this unit, because I'm upset with how tire dealers are balancing my Jeep Wrangler tires (death wobble sound familiar?)

Here is the balance I bought for my bike tires/wheels:

Worked out real well. I only needed 14 grams on the front and 17.5 grams on the back!

Check it out at:

http://www.marcparnes.com/Kawasaki_M...l_Balancer.htm

Last futzed with by g21-30; October 27th, 2010 at 03:38 AM.

Old November 9th, 2010, 12:05 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Well, the part in question is now in stock at HF (Portable tire changer), BUT the motorcycle tire adapter is NOT in stock. It seems to me these things probably just come in and out of stock. I ordered the changer ($49), which is really just the base unit, so that I'll have it on hand. I'll keep my eyes out for the top piece to reappear.

I guess if I slowly acquire the parts/tools, I will have a kick-arse tire changing setup by the time I need to change my next tire.
There are two HF web sites. One is full of online-only products. I forget which is which, but one has "USA" in the domain name and the other doesn't. Did you check both? When I first got their low-profile aluminum rear stand, their spools were online-only and only on one of the two websites. It really threw me for a loop. They are in stores now, but I had to go to eBay for cheap alternatives as shipping KILLED theirs. Also, they only have silver/chrome color and I wanted black to match the swingarm.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 12:06 PM   #20
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubojr1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKr1 View Post
That's what I did and it has worked well.
It's what I did also and it has NOT worked out well. I have the scars to prove it.

Old November 9th, 2010, 12:44 PM   #21
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
There are two HF web sites. One is full of online-only products. I forget which is which, but one has "USA" in the domain name and the other doesn't. Did you check both?
I did not know that! Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: With a little googling, I see there is a harborfreight.com and harborfreightusa.com...... however, it seems the USA domain is forwarding to the other one. I guess they are only operating one site now.

Old November 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM   #22
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
I did not know that! Thanks for the tip.

EDIT: With a little googling, I see there is a harborfreight.com and harborfreightusa.com...... however, it seems the USA domain is forwarding to the other one. I guess they are only operating one site now.
Yeah, that was last year so things have probably changed. Well, they definitely have because the spools are available in-store now. I still see things like the paddle-style tubular motorcycle stand that has optional front fork adapters has a different SKU online so the price may be different and a local stock check may incorrectly say that they don't have it.

I couldn't tell the difference between their sites even then except that one only let me make a "shopping list" instead of adding the items to the shopping cart and certain items just weren't available.

Old December 4th, 2010, 05:59 PM   #23
headshrink

According to a bunch of internet searching over the last month, it appears the motorcycle attachment has been discontinued. It is suddenly gone from ebay as well. So angry!

Old August 4th, 2012, 04:39 AM   #24
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I just had to come back to this thread to point out that I'm now in the exact opposite situation as described in the OP. The tire changer has returned but the motorcycle attachment has not. I just picked it up for $32 after coupon. It's been on-sale for $39.99 and they ALWAYS have 20% off coupons floating around. Anyway, that takes care of the hardest part for me: Getting the cheap tire mount/demount bar. I found a comment on YouTube suggesting that there was some rumor that they were bringing the motorcycle attachment back, though I have no idea where that came from.

Anyway, I now want to build the DIY tire station that so many others have made but I want to build it onto the stand I already have. First step will be to find a way to adapt the threads in the center post to a smaller threaded rod that can fit through most motorcycle tires. We'll see how it goes. I've also seen where people have cut up rim-savers to convert the tool into a no-scuff tool, which I also intend to do.

Last futzed with by CZroe; August 4th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Old August 4th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #25
headshrink

Quote:
I just had to come back to this thread to point out that it is now the exact opposite situation.
You had me all excited for a moment..... I didn't read your whole comment closely and thought you where responding to my last post (scoured HF site excitedly). So I guess we're still in the same boat. I so want it to come back, but am not going to spend even half of the money they are charging for the currently available commercial models.

Old August 4th, 2012, 12:47 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i donno. i change tires with blocks of wood, 2x4s, spoons and some elbow grease. (and windex!) and i balance them on jack stands with the axle. almost everyone i know gives me **** for not using a machine, but theres something about manually changing a tire that makes you feel closer to the machine. it sounds lame but im sentimental about bikes and i like doing work so...

Old August 4th, 2012, 01:10 PM   #27
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i donno. i change tires with blocks of wood, 2x4s, spoons and some elbow grease. (and windex!) and i balance them on jack stands with the axle. almost everyone i know gives me **** for not using a machine, but theres something about manually changing a tire that makes you feel closer to the machine. it sounds lame but im sentimental about bikes and i like doing work so...
That's cool if it works for you. That's also what I do, but only because I'm cheap.

Although I take all the regular precautions, I still get the occasional scratch & mar. It also requires a little more elbow grease than I prefer, and I'm paranoid about the potential for injury from an angry spoon, or hungry tire & rim.

Old August 4th, 2012, 02:16 PM   #28
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yeah, wild tires can be vicious when they havent eaten in awhile. i heard some getting in the trash last night.

Old August 4th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #29
headshrink

I just realized the irony of being "paranoid" of a tire-changing injury when you ride a motorcycle (I hear they are dangerous).

Old August 4th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #30
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
yeah, wild tires can be vicious when they havent eaten in awhile. i heard some getting in the trash last night.
They got me:
Quote:
Both. I now have this to show for it.
Attachment 9744
Attachment 9743
As many times as I slipped and damaged the rims (even with protectors), i guess it was only a matter of time.
Quote:
You had me all excited for a moment..... I didn't read your whole comment closely and thought you where responding to my last post (scoured HF site excitedly). So I guess we're still in the same boat. I so want it to come back, but am not going to spend even half of the money they are charging for the currently available commercial models.
Clarified. Anyway, I figured that it was possible to make the DIY tire changing station with less materials if I start with the HF Portable Manual Tire Changer stand, which is easier to secure and came with the needed tire bar. I've now gotta source a 14" car rim and figure out the bar threading. I think it uses 1" flattened Acme threads. If I can't get a thread adapter, I should be able to get by using a length of 7/8" threaded rod long secured with nuts since it will not thread in but will still hug the walls tightly enough. I'm looking into methods to coat the tire bar with plastic or cut up rim savers or something too.

Old August 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #31
headshrink

Quote:
I figured that it was possible to make the DIY tire changing station with less materials if I start with the HF Portable Manual Tire Changer stand. I've now gotta source a 14" car rim and figure out the bar threading. I think it uses 1" flattened Acme threads. If I can't get a thread adapter, I should be able to get by using a length of 7/8" threaded rod long secured with nuts since it will not thread in but will still hug the walls tightly enough. I'm looking into methods to coat the tire bar with plastic or cut up rim savers or something too.
That would make an awesome new DIY.

Old August 4th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #32
CZroe
CPT Falcon

I'm not a handy guy, but that's absolutely where this is headed if I am successful.

Old August 4th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #33
headshrink

Quote:
I'm not a handy guy, but that's absolutely where this is headed if I am successful.
If you're here, your handy enough!

Old August 6th, 2012, 08:16 AM   #34
CZroe
CPT Falcon

OK, I now know why the tire changers have overhead mounting arms. I realized that the thread adapter idea isn't going to work too well because bikes often have axles as small as 10mm:
http://scandalon.com/2009/06/motorcy...iameter-chart/

This is a problem for the "from scartch" DIY tire changing station as well unless you have a table in a workshop and can run the threaded rod to a low-fixed ceiling.

Not only am I'm not going to find anything to step down 1" Acme to something smaller than 10mm, but 10mm is probably not thick and stable enough to wrench the tire bar against when only mounted from below. I've been looking into stepped rods/shafts but none are small enough for 10mm axles.

Our bikes are have 15mm front axles, but I had hoped to use this to change tires for complete strangers. The smallest center post for the No-Mar Cycle Hill changer is 1/2", so I guess you need to buy the overhead attachment to change wheels with 10mm front axles. 1/2" should fit our front wheels just fine, so I'm still going to see what I can do with 1/2" threaded rod. Should still fit the majority of tires.

Old May 14th, 2014, 03:19 PM   #35
CZroe
CPT Falcon

After years of seeing people price-gouge for their Harbor Freight motorcycle tire changers on eBay and Craigslist for hundreds of dollars, I just noticed: IT'S BACK AT HARBOR FREIGHT!

I'm on my way to buy one now. Heck, I'll probably buy two (great gift for my brother and his KLR650)!

It's currently on sale for $39.99 but you need the manual tire changer too (also on sale for $39.99) because the motorcycle attachment needs the base and a mount/demount bar.

When I bought my manual tire changer it was on sale for $39.99 and could be had for $32 after 20% off coupon. It's back to that price and so the whole setup can cost you as little as $64 + tax using two coupons for two transactions. You can only use one coupon at once so print two and go with a friend:
http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-c...aff-17547.html

Last futzed with by CZroe; May 14th, 2014 at 07:41 PM.

Old May 14th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #36
headshrink

Quote:
After years of seeing people price-gouge for their Harbor Freight motorcycle tire changers on eBay and Craigslist fir hundreds of dollars, I just noticed: IT'S BACK AT HARBOR FREIGHT!

http://www.harborfreight.com/20off-c...aff-17547.html
THANK YOU SO MUCH - I'm so stoked to hear it's back (and cheap)! I've been watching it for the past couple years too, and thought it was gone for good. Unfortunately I originally delayed purchase because the base unit was out of stock for a while, so I jumped on it when it returned, but then the MC attachment was out of stock.... turned out to be discontinued all these years. I've been so sick of that useless POS base sitting in the corner of my garage for the past couple years, and was literally going to throw it out this week. Your timing is amazing. Can you tell I'm excited? Here's a beer on me.

Now the only issue is figuring out is a replacement for the discontinued Mojoblocks.....
EDIT: CORRECTION - The Mojoblocks are back too!
EDIT2: Hmmmm.... Might be up to making my own Mojoblock with a cutting board and drill-press. Eh, why bother, they're only $30.

Old May 15th, 2014, 06:07 AM   #37
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I understand the "right" tools make the job "easier" but I usually break beads with tire irons and just use the axle instead of a rod to balance everything up. Has worked so far..
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 15th, 2014, 06:15 AM   #38
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
THANK YOU SO MUCH - I'm so stoked to hear it's back (and cheap)! I've been watching it for the past couple years too, and thought it was gone for good. Unfortunately I originally delayed purchase because the base unit was out of stock for a while, so I jumped on it when it returned, but then the MC attachment was out of stock.... turned out to be discontinued all these years. I've been so sick of that useless POS base sitting in the corner of my garage for the past couple years, and was literally going to throw it out this week. Your timing is amazing. Can you tell I'm excited? Here's a beer on me.

Now the only issue is figuring out is a replacement for the discontinued Mojoblocks.....
EDIT: CORRECTION - The Mojoblocks are back too!
EDIT2: Hmmmm.... Might be up to making my own Mojoblock with a cutting board and drill-press. Eh, why bother, they're only $30.
I definitely understand your excitement. I fruitlessly searched every few months for years and just missed them a few times. I plotted and schemed too, like last Fall:
"There's one in Tennessee while my niece is driving from Texas to West Virginia, but I'm in Georgia!"
*checks origin, destination, and item location on Google Maps and sees that it's totally do-able*
"Time to suck up to niece and contact the seller."
*poof*
"OMG! It disappeared from Craigslist!"
*recover contact details from browser cache*
"Crap. It's been sold."

Two days ago I was kicking myself because I stumbled across an outdated Craigslist ad where someone had a yard sale locally with one (almost a month ago; listing said not to contact). I had been to the Harbor Freight site several times for other stuff that day which is what reminded me to even look on Craigslist for the changer, but I guess I neglected to look for the changer on Harbor Freight's own site until after visiting several times yesterday (been researching lifts, wheel bearing pullers, and other stuff). I routinely check back at Harbor Freight for the changer too because I googled and read someone's rumor that it was coming back, but that post was in 2012 and I was losing hope. I must have been on the site 20 times over the last 2 days before I finally ran out of other curiosities and checked that! Every time I thought about it would send me back to eBay/Craigslist/Google where it still looked like unobtanium.

I spent a ton of time on their website researching a lift and other stuff the last couple days and side-tracked often enough ("I wonder if they ever got a full chain tool with riveting and pressing attachments?" *search* "Nope"), but somehow didn't check on the changer until after returning for what felt like the 20th time on day 2. If it's truly been back since December, then I must have been similarly distracted last round a few months ago.

Now I wonder if I should pick up the lift before they suddenly discontinue it too.

As for t he Mojoblocks, I think I'm just going to coat the clamps with duct tape and strap the tire down (since the clamps don't seem to clamp anything). If it doesn't work out then I will order them as well.

Old May 15th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #39
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
I understand the "right" tools make the job "easier" but I usually break beads with tire irons and just use the axle instead of a rod to balance everything up. Has worked so far..
how do you break beads with tire irons? i have always used two pieces of wood wedged into something to make a T

Old May 15th, 2014, 08:38 AM   #40
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Quote:
how do you break beads with tire irons? i have always used two pieces of wood wedged into something to make a T
I use a lot of lube and just the right amount of pressure in the right places.

I have to do the zx10r tires this week so I'll take some pictures and show you.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.